Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

ID4-2

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
ID4-2
Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:29 pm
  • Anyone else want to see Independence Day: Resurgence, but at the same time, don't? I won't deny the original was not a good movie, but it is one of the best popcorn flicks ever, and it is one of the few really good memories I have with my father (he and I don't really see eye to eye, I actually didn't speak to him for 10 years from '99-'09), so I have strong nostalgic feelings for ID4, and I'm worried this will taint the first. I know this is way to much thinking over a 'splosions movie, but whatever.
    "Soon, the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans, and pants to match."

- Excerpt from Jimmy James: Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Re: ID4-2
Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:35 pm
  • I loved the original.
    Adopt A Rookie: Nick Vannett, TE - Ohio State University
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:37 pm
  • I didn't like the original even when I was younger and more stupider, so I won't be seeing this one.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 03, 2016 7:08 pm
  • My favorite movie as a kid was War of the Worlds, and my favorite tv show was Star Trek (mid-60's), so this genre was embedded in me from an early age. I looked forward to the original ID4 for 6 months back in '96, waiting for it to come out. I saw it 5 times at the theater. This kinda stuff, anything Alien invasion, is right up my alley. So, needless to say this is, BY FAR, the ONE movie I am looking forward to this Summer. After that, I'm really looking forward to the next installment of AVATAR, which will be 2018's Sci-Fi blockbuster.

And oh yeah... The new Star Trek movie looks amazing!

And then this weekend, I've got my "Deathwing" t-shirt for this weekend's debut of Warcraft!!! YES!!!

Yeah, I'm a geek... *sigh*
    Last edited by BlueThunder on Sat Jun 04, 2016 4:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
    "Most important sack dance in history, because I helped the baby boom in Seattle" Michael Bennett, when asked about his sack dance's legacy

RIP Les
    :les:
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

Fri Jun 03, 2016 8:15 pm
  • BlueThunder wrote:

Yeah, I'm a virgin... *sigh*

FIFY
    But seriously, I'm looking forward to seeing it, and all the other ones you mentioned, except for WoW. I religiously watch the original every year on the 4th. I'm the a-hole that posts the Bill Pullman speech on Facebook year after year. I maybe see one movie a year at the theaters (the last one I saw in theaters was Mad Max), Independence Day 2 is the one I'm willing to pay $10 to see it on opening day. Im sad that there's no Will Smith but at least they have Jeff Goldblum returning, and Bill Pullman!
    HAWKAMANIA
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:08 pm
  • I wasnt going to see it.. but then when I saw Deadpool the other day (it just came out here June 1st..) and saw the newest trailer I admit it was able to stir some interest in me. I see a lot of movies so I will probably end up seeing it.
    “If somebody thinks they're a hedgehog, presumably you just give them a mirror and a few pictures of hedgehogs and tell them to sort it out for themselves.”
    Vetamur
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:37 pm
  • ID4-2 is going to be a victim of its predecessor's success. The original helped define the modern effects-laden blockbuster in a big way. How much "bigger" or more "shocking" can things get? The White House has been blown up dozens of times now, sometimes by Emmerich himself, and the "everything getting wiped out" wad was already blown in 2012. I just don't see this movie having much to go on except nostalgia.

...which is why I'll be watching.

Dammit.
    GO HAWKS!!!

Visit my Seahawks blog at 17power.blogspot.com!
    MontanaHawk05
    * 17Power Blogger *

Fri Jun 03, 2016 10:45 pm
  • I just want to see if they have another AWACS fly in for a visual. That never ceases to crack me up.
    Annual Adopt a Rookie: Vannett
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 04, 2016 3:51 am

Sun Jun 05, 2016 10:41 am
  • MontanaHawk05 wrote:ID4-2 is going to be a victim of its predecessor's success. The original helped define the modern effects-laden blockbuster in a big way. How much "bigger" or more "shocking" can things get? The White House has been blown up dozens of times now, sometimes by Emmerich himself, and the "everything getting wiped out" wad was already blown in 2012. I just don't see this movie having much to go on except nostalgia.

...which is why I'll be watching.

Dammit.

What kind of gives me hope about this..is that the movie is sort of self aware about that maybe. In the trailer there is a line "They DO love to get the landmarks." So..if its not taking itself TOO seriously it will go a bit towards making the whole "we need BIGGER explosions!!" thought process acceptable. Maybe. Or Im just rationalizing why I will be watching too.
    “If somebody thinks they're a hedgehog, presumably you just give them a mirror and a few pictures of hedgehogs and tell them to sort it out for themselves.”
    Vetamur
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:10 am

Fri Jun 24, 2016 3:58 am
  • BlueThunder wrote:Yeah, I'm a geek... *sigh*

That's not a bad thing! :mrgreen:
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:07 am
  • I will be going and seeing it when it is convenient to me to see it. I dont want to be packed in like sardines to see something that I am supposed to be enjoying. That being said, I did like the first one and watch it periodically on dvd and will go see the new one during the week sometime after the premiere............... if they have air conditioning.... :mrgreen:
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 24, 2016 5:32 am
  • I liked the first one and end up sucked in whenever I come across it on the TV. I think I will be seeing it on Saturday but mostly because it is date night and we want some movie to go to. Nothing else that is out this weekend really interests me.
    drcool
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 24, 2016 6:34 am
  • Seanhawk wrote:I didn't like the original even when I was younger and more stupider, so I won't be seeing this one.

I laughed but I'm not sure if I should be feeling guilty about it or not

“You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

:les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *

Fri Jun 24, 2016 10:57 am
  • Largent80 wrote:Reviews are out. https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/indepe ... esurgence/

I expected this, but will go see it anyway.

That audience score...WOOF!
    "Soon, the super karate monkey death car would park in my space. But Jimmy has fancy plans, and pants to match."

Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:22 am
  • Maulbert wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:Reviews are out. https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/indepe ... esurgence/

I expected this, but will go see it anyway.

That audience score...WOOF!

Read the audience reviews, one person say instead of going give your money to the SPCA, the next gives it 4 stars, this reminds me of Transformers, which I love by the way. It's a stupid popcorn movie...YES !!!!!!!!!!!
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:29 am
  • Case in point...Audience reviews...

Might be one of the worst movies I've ever seen. Nothing remarkable about it, save some good visual effects. It wasn't funny. The acting was painful. The lines were terrible. It had no emotion. No character development. Really no redeeming qualities. And this is coming from someone that could probably happily watch Liam Hemsworth file his nails. Even all that hotness wasn't enough to save this movie. Terrible, terrible sequel.

------------

As long as you see this movie with the intention of wanting to see an action film, you will definitely be satisfied. Stunning visuals and significant improvements over the original in terms of action and alien depiction.

-------------

Let me start off by saying, I wanted to like this movie...I mean I really really did. Independence Day: Resurgence is the sequel to the 1996 disaster film, both directed by Roland Emmerich and both feature actors like Jeff Goldblum and Bill Pullman. The first was a good time, sure I didn't care about the characters, but I wasn't bored. This film however, is the definition of boring! It takes atleast 30 minutes for the film to get going, then once we are re-introduced to the alien race wanting to destroy us we are presented with a non-sensical, boring and dull 'story'. Sure the visuals look great and sure the actors do their part but that does not stop this film from being so boring. Too many characters that we do not care about, glaringly obvious pacing issues and the most rushed ending ever. It's a sequel to a 90's film that is obviously still stuck in the 90's. Sadly, I just could not enjoy this film. Don't even get me started on this 'white ball alien' that appears during the film...

--------------

If you want bombastic intergalactic thrills, then you got it. Despite being 20 years later, the movie is able to bring back some old cast members and a lot of new ones, for a visual effects filled extravaganza. The aliens are back after 20 years, and its up to new technology laden Earth to defend itself again. A few new plot elements and world building is present, and my only gripe is that the CGI in daylight for the aliens looks rather shitty, so it looks like the good guys are shooting at video games for the finale. Other than that, it was an enjoyable summer blockbuster and fans of the original should be appeased.

Again, these are from the rotton tomatoes audience reviews.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Jun 24, 2016 11:06 pm
  • Not the best movie in the world, but it didn't seem too long when watching it which is already an improvement over most movies these days. Good action, some bad acting, a lot of inconsistencies (both against itself and the first movie.) In the end I was entertained and if you ever plan on watching it at all, it is a movie the big screen does justice to.
    I used to be Bitter.
    JustTheTip
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:49 am
  • Bitter wrote:Not the best movie in the world, but it didn't seem too long when watching it which is already an improvement over most movies these days. Good action, some bad acting, a lot of inconsistencies (both against itself and the first movie.) In the end I was entertained and if you ever plan on watching it at all, it is a movie the big screen does justice to.

Thanks for the review, I think IMAX 3-D will be in order on a HOT Texas afternoon this week.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:54 pm
  • No Will Smith makes me not want to see it.

Jeff Goldblum returning means I will, anyway.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:20 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:No Will Smith makes me not want to see it.

Jeff Goldblum returning means I will, anyway.

Will Smith is not make-or-break for me, personally. I haven't loved a Will Smith movies since the original MIB. Seriously, his big name films since then has practically been a list of the worst films of the last 15 years. Think about it:

Wild Wild West
    Men in Black 2
    Bad Boys 2
    I, Robot
    Shark Tale
    I Am Legend
    Hancock
    Men in Black 3
    After Earth

Honestly, MIB3 is the only one on that list I enjoy, and that's because of Josh Brolin, not Will Smith. Utter honesty, Will Smith is half the reason I have no faith in Suicide Squad.

Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:29 pm
  • I Am Legend was great until the ridiculous stupidly changed ending away from the book, I think Will Smith actually did a very good job in most of that film, personally.

Regardless, however; Will Smith did a great job in the original Independence Day, IMO. You disagree with that?
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sun Jun 26, 2016 4:59 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I Am Legend was great until the ridiculous stupidly changed ending away from the book, I think Will Smith actually did a very good job in most of that film, personally.

Regardless, however; Will Smith did a great job in the original Independence Day, IMO. You disagree with that?

No, but that doesn't mean he'd save it now. And for me, personally, The Last Man on Earth starring Vincent Price is a superior adaptation to I Am Legend. For my money, it's better than The Omega Man, too.

Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:04 pm

Sun Jun 26, 2016 5:05 pm
  • I'm not saying he'd make or break ID4-2, but I'm certain I'd enjoy it more with him in it. (I haven't seen it yet.)
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:10 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I'm not saying he'd make or break ID4-2, but I'm certain I'd enjoy it more with him in it. (I haven't seen it yet.)

Me 2.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:44 pm
  • Well? I'm waiting to hear so I can decide whether or not to spend some money on this or wait for it to come out on <insert bittorrent client here>.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 06, 2016 3:54 pm
  • I saw it (for free, love those free passes from Boeing), and I would never call it a good movie, but it had a surprisingly entertaining bad pulp sci-fi vibe going for it.

So was it bad? Yes.
    Was I entertained? Yes.

Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 07, 2016 4:07 am

Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:12 am
  • Just saw this yesterday and thought it was pretty entertaining. I loved the first one and only wanted to see this one for the visuals and of course aliens! Like BlueThunder, I'm always down for alien invasions!
    "I want it! I hate losing!"
    DHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:14 am
  • Largent80 wrote:So, you are saying free or dont bother.....correct?

That's what I took away. [emoji4]
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:48 pm
  • Just saw it with a friend tonight.

This film is the biggest pile of steaming dung I've seen in a lot of years. It's pretty bad, and I loved the first one. I also love Jeff Goldblum, but that didn't help me like this film. I'm legitimately surprised at how terrible most of the dialogue is.

I'm very, very disappointed.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:40 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:Just saw it with a friend tonight.

This film is the biggest pile of steaming dung I've seen in a lot of years. It's pretty bad, and I loved the first one. I also love Jeff Goldblum, but that didn't help me like this film. I'm legitimately surprised at how terrible most of the dialogue is.

Welp, this coupled with a lot of other peoples reviews have sealed it for me. Avoiding this one.
    Annual Adopt a Rookie: Vannett
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Jul 07, 2016 11:45 pm

That means I will see it. Popcorn....I love popcorn and a few shots of Fireball.
    MizzouHawkGal
    .NET Protector of the Hotties

Sat Jul 09, 2016 4:05 pm

Sat Jul 09, 2016 8:57 pm

Damnit! Why did they have to RUIN the sequel to one of my all-time favorite movies?? WHY!!!? I'm actually gonna wait for HBO on this one. The producers obviously didn't have any respect for the first one, and just figured people would go see whatever bilge they farted out... Pisses me off... Well, hopefully the new Star Trek bails out the summer Sci-Fi movie fest 2016.
    "Most important sack dance in history, because I helped the baby boom in Seattle" Michael Bennett, when asked about his sack dance's legacy

RIP Les
    :les:
    BlueThunder
    *Net Enemy Forum Guy*

Sun Jul 10, 2016 9:35 am
  • Saw it Saturday.

First..the positives.. I liked some of the first third. And the idea they had going on there would be a good TV series I think. But this is a no spoiler thread I assume so will avoid specifics.

The negatives.. the younger cast members were chosen seemingly for their looks. Attractive bunch, but very little charisma and no chemistry. Paint by numbers script most of the way through. The movie assumes you either saw the original more than 10 times or rewatched in the 3 days before you saw the sequel.

The biggest negative.. and this is a weird one..but its the one a friend and I were still talking about the next day.. was the obtrusive way they pander to China. and not even necessarily to the Chinese audience, but , like..to China itself. Have to have the Chinese pilot, and about 30 shots of her cocking or turning her head in profile in the cockpit. Inexplicably she has to be some sort of sex symbol or celebrity in the movie..? Without spoilers, watch the people at the base react to her when she arrives.. Just..bizarre. Then, they have to take time out to specifically mention that China is helping defend..the..Earth. Add in a shot with Chinese people holding a Chinese flag.. I mean, not like a shot of a Chinese flag flying on a pole..maybe with a US flag and some others, maybe a UN flag or something..NO.. you have people in a hangar holding the flag. Then, the extremely awkward "flirty" scenes, that it would seem Angelababy , seriously, thats the Chinese actresss English name, is not even ON SET at the same time as the person trying to flirt with her. I mean, they are in the scene together, but the lines , all two of them, were filmed separately.

I get it.. China is a huge market now and they only allow 35 foreign movies in a year so blockbusters have to either seriously pander or take on Chinese sponsorship ..but man, its a drag...

Horrible movie, horrible plot. Borrows scenes whole from War of the Worlds, The Phantom Menace, etc..

Oh..and dont bother seeing it in 3D..you literally cant tell...
    Vetamur
    NET Veteran

Sun Jul 10, 2016 2:24 pm
  • Thanks for the reviews. Think I shall wait a while longer then. Sounds like Iron Eagle 2 from what Veta is saying. Just make it look better for a different group of people. Meh...whatever.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Wed Aug 17, 2016 2:01 am
  • I wanted to like this movie. I truly did, but there is just soo much wrong with it for me to be able to. Some of the worst acting I've ever seen (even Goldblum was forgettable). Too many weird and unnecessary sub plots. The CGI was great but unfortunately that was not enough to get me to like this film. Highly disappointed.
    Mistashoesta
    NET Veteran

Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:23 pm
  • I am bumping this because I bought the dvd.....and you all were correct. The first quarter was good, the second quarter and third quarter were meh and the fourth quarter needed help. Thanks for the review to you all.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:05 am
  • Watched it a few weeks ago. I did not think it sucked and I'm somebody who didn't actually like the first one (I hate Bill Pullman). It was certainly an entertaining enough movie.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

It is currently Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:13 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information