Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Neil Peart Officially retires

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Neil Peart Officially retires
Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:39 am

Re: Neal Peart Officially retires
Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:40 am

Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:43 am
  • Good for him. Probably the 4th or 5th best rock drummer of all time.
    There was this monkey, right?
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:05 am
  • This was a hoax back in December. Couldn't find a date on the link posted. I hope he's not done. Easily one of my top 5 most influential drummers.
    You got a clogged drain?
    Oof
    NET Rookie

Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:15 pm
  • Nothing really new here actually. He described himself as "a retired rock drummer" several months ago. Sad indeed but if you ever had really close seats to one of their shows (I had front row at a Time Machine Tour show in 2011) you know how physical he was on the kit(s) and he's 64 years old.

Don't be surprised if the band does another album but with no live shows ever again. Also don't be surprised if Ged and Al do an album by themselves and tour with other musicians on stage and do some Rush material and whatever new material they create. I know Ged for sure doesn't want to retire. I don't believe Neil will tour ever again.

peachesenregalia wrote:Good for him. Probably the 4th or 5th best rock drummer of all time.

Your opinion seemingly presented as absolute fact. Not the first time either.

And btw not sure I consider him best ever either though I'd rank him higher than you, top 3 for sure. But again, my opinion.
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Mar 09, 2016 12:40 pm
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:Nothing really new here actually. He described himself as "a retired rock drummer" several months ago. Sad indeed but if you ever had really close seats to one of their shows (I had front row at a Time Machine Tour show in 2011) you know how physical he was on the kit(s) and he's 64 years old.

Don't be surprised if the band does another album but with no live shows ever again. Also don't be surprised if Ged and Al do an album by themselves and tour with other musicians on stage and do some Rush material and whatever new material they create. I know Ged for sure doesn't want to retire. I don't believe Neil will tour ever again.

peachesenregalia wrote:Good for him. Probably the 4th or 5th best rock drummer of all time.

Your opinion seemingly presented as absolute fact. Not the first time either.

And btw not sure I consider him best ever either though I'd rank him higher than you, top 3 for sure. But again, my opinion.

Ah, I guess "probably" = "factually". Sorry I wasn't clear there.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:00 pm

Wed Mar 09, 2016 3:11 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:Good for him. Probably the 4th or 5th best rock drummer of all time.

He and Danny Carey are 1a and 1b in my book. I know you're partial to the guys who Zappa played with, but Peart and Carey are the modern day prototypes in my opinion.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:31 pm
  • SmokinHawk wrote:

He and Danny Carey are 1a and 1b in my book. I know you're partial to the guys who Zappa played with, but Peart and Carey are the modern day prototypes in my opinion.

Have to agree here. There are many others that I like that play with some great guitarists. Marco Minneman is one.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Mar 09, 2016 5:02 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:Good for him. Probably the 4th or 5th best rock drummer of all time.

That was probably the third or fourth worst post ever.... :34853_doh:
    SeAhAwKeR4life
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:54 pm
  • Rock is losing an ICON, who else could make the last 30+ years of Rush music tolerable :P Maybe try and spell his name right next time.
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 10, 2016 5:44 am
  • SmokinHawk wrote:

Ha! I was just baiting. Peart is up there. I'd say him, Carey, Vinnie Collaiuta, Terry Bozzio and Bonham are probably the top 5. Bonham gets unfairly slated, but go back and listen to albums like Physical Graffiti and Presence. He was a monster, and tight as hell. That change in "The Ocean" from Houses of the Holy is mind-blowing, and it was tight as hell when they did it live.

Now, before any smart arse comes in with a list of jazz drummers like Buddy Rich or Boogaloo Joe Jones or Art Blakey, we're talking about rock drummers here.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:25 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:
    SmokinHawk wrote:

Ha! I was just baiting. Peart is up there. I'd say him, Carey, Vinnie Collaiuta, Terry Bozzio and Bonham are probably the top 5. Bonham gets unfairly slated, but go back and listen to albums like Physical Graffiti and Presence. He was a monster, and tight as hell. That change in "The Ocean" from Houses of the Holy is mind-blowing, and it was tight as hell when they did it live.

Now, before any smart arse comes in with a list of jazz drummers like Buddy Rich or Boogaloo Joe Jones or Art Blakey, we're talking about rock drummers here.

Bonham kicked ass. Bonham, Moon and Peart are my top 3. Carey is really good too. Saw Tool a couple of years ago and he was top notch. Also like Dave Lombardo ex of Slayer. A YOUNG Bill Ward was good as well but that only lasted a few years.

For non-rock drummers, Gene Krupa for me.
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

Re: Neil Peart Officially retires
Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:55 am
  • Stanton Moore is a badass, not sure if he is a rock drummer, he did play on the Corrosion of Conformity album "In The Arms of God" which was fantastic.
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:18 am
  • Peart has-been the best rock drummer for decades. Many come and go and many are good. The Rev was pretty good as well and none of you wankers even mentioned him.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:18 pm
  • Two more good ones from back in the day.....

Ian Paice of Deep Purple

Mitch Mitchell of The Jimi Hendrix Experience
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Mar 11, 2016 1:15 am
  • Seen Rush 4 times a long time ago and have stayed with the band as the go to listen when looking through the play lists in the years since. In the rock world of who is the best bassist, guitarist or drummer is very subjective. But Peart is probably the closest to being the definitive "best".
    He has also had many highs and lows in his life. I wish him the "best for the rest" of his time. Thanks Neil!!
    samwize77
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 11, 2016 4:57 am
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:Two more good ones from back in the day.....

Ian Paice of Deep Purple

Man, I can't agree with either of these. I've never been able to get into Deep Purple, and I always thought Mitch Mitchell was more of a JAG drummer for the Experience. I'd say Ginger Baker from that era was a generational talent. He was a jazz drummer who converted to rock, and was excellent.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Fri Mar 11, 2016 9:47 am
  • Paice and Mitchell were huge influences for me as a drummer gaining chops, both are awesome.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Fri Mar 11, 2016 8:14 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:Two more good ones from back in the day.....

Ian Paice of Deep Purple

Man, I can't agree with either of these. I've never been able to get into Deep Purple, and I always thought Mitch Mitchell was more of a JAG drummer for the Experience. I'd say Ginger Baker from that era was a generational talent. He was a jazz drummer who converted to rock, and was excellent.

Well will agree with you on Ginger. Hadn't thought of him. L80 and I will agree to disagree on the other two.
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Mar 13, 2016 7:31 am
  • There's about a 333% chance the replacement will be of Canadian citizenship.
    :les: Remembering "The Radish"...
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Staff Alumni *

It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:42 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information