Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Yummy, rotting food!

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Yummy, rotting food!
Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:30 pm
  • Not really, but recently, I've been interested in probiotics and promoting healthier foods in my life, and so I started making my own Sauerkraut. I used to just sort of like sauerkraut, say once in a while on a reuben, or on hot dogs, but I recently made my first batch, with purple cabbage instead of green, and I'll be damned if this isn't some of the tastiest stuff ever!

Low calories, full of vitamins, and probiotics that bolster the immune system, all for salting and letting the cabbage go "bad". Way better than the commercial stuff, though admittedly it doesn't smell he greatest. It's good on damn near any sandwich though and so much crispier and tastier than the stuff you buy, even the stuff in the cold case.

So really my question is if anyone has any ideas on recipes, making more exotic and ambitions ferments. Would this work with Kale?

Anyone got any KimChi recipes? My aunt was Korean (army uncle married a Korean national), and I remember she made delicious KimChi, but died very young of Hodgkins disease, but would be interested if anyone has any ideas on he subject.
    SeAhAwKeR4life
    NET Veteran

Re: Yummy, rotting food!
Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:29 am
  • Hippy.
    "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."---LP Hartley
    Trenchbroom
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:35 am
  • Yeah maybe, but if you like sauerkraut at all, I suggest you do yourself a favor and try it. You'll never want store bought garbage again!

As far as sauerkraut itself, all you have to do is chop cabbage, salt it, throw it in a jar or crock and restrict the oxygen, and wait (vent off the gas now and then).
    SeAhAwKeR4life
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 23, 2016 10:53 am
  • Sauerkraut quite honestly improved my life. Sounds crazy right? Let me explain.

I don't know if you guys remember last year, I wrote a thread about the health issue I ran into. Was in the hospital for awhile, almost died, at one point had at least 5 different anti-biotics pumping into me through multiple picc lines. Even brought home a portable IV pump when I got out. Like I was sick as hell man!

And all those anti-biotics just wiped out all the good gut bacteria I had. I was super nauseous daily for months and months. Just awful.

They had me try different probiotic pills and different things, meds. Nothing worked or made me sicker. What did work? Sauerkraut. I started eating it every day. And saw massive improvements.

So yea, I'm pro sauerkraut! :D Never made my own, but would buy the best I could find in the stores.

Sorry I don't have much more to add, but its really good with breakfast! Mix it with an egg, like an over easy or over medium! Mix it with some yolk. Good stuff.
    Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you’ll give and tears you’ll cry, and all you touch and all you see Is all your life will ever be
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:10 am
  • Sauerkraut works well for jock itch. Apply liberally to affected area 4 times a day.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *

Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:34 am

Tue Feb 23, 2016 11:55 am
  • Largent80 wrote:Sauerkraut enabled me to quit Facebook.

But you're missing out on all the soccer mom's posting pics of their kids!! ;)
    Long you live and high you fly, and smiles you’ll give and tears you’ll cry, and all you touch and all you see Is all your life will ever be
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 23, 2016 12:35 pm
  • I would choose death over sauerkraut.
    JSeahawks
    NET Ring Of Honor

Tue Feb 23, 2016 1:45 pm
  • twisted_steel2 wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:Sauerkraut enabled me to quit Facebook.

But you're missing out on all the soccer mom's posting pics of their kids!! ;)

No. They enjoy footlongs without sauerkraut.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Mar 19, 2016 8:20 pm
  • Just made some blue kraut, it's awesome! Why anyone bothers with green cabbage is beyond me, the red stuff packed with nutrition and tastier too.
    SeAhAwKeR4life
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 19, 2016 9:14 pm
  • If youre into spoiled food that people eat..just out the most heinous of them all: natto. Fermented beans that Tokyo area Japanese insist is "healthy". Me? I put it in the same category as haggis, food based on a dare.
    “If somebody thinks they're a hedgehog, presumably you just give them a mirror and a few pictures of hedgehogs and tell them to sort it out for themselves.”
    Vetamur
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 20, 2016 7:38 am
  • You can add Century Eggs, slime eel, and that rotten fish they call a "delicacy", Veta.

Japan has some incredible culinary traditions, but wow are some of them likewise vomit inducing.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:05 am
  • SmokinHawk wrote:You can add Century Eggs, slime eel, and that rotten fish they call a "delicacy", Veta.

Japan has some incredible culinary traditions, but wow are some of them likewise vomit inducing.

century eggs are Chinese.. slime eel is Korean cuisine.. not sure which rotten fish you are talking about but that would also most likely be Chinese..probably from Hunan area.
    “If somebody thinks they're a hedgehog, presumably you just give them a mirror and a few pictures of hedgehogs and tell them to sort it out for themselves.”
    Vetamur
    NET Veteran

Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:44 am
  • My grandfather used to say that anybody who ate yogurt would drink their own bathwater, yet he ate sauerkraut like he owned stock in it. Having lived with my grandparents for a while after my parent's divorce, I noticed he shat like a beast every morning, at practically that same time each day; you could set your watch to his deuce breaks.

In similar fashion to Twisted's experience, I too had to overcome a few infections in my late 20's that required heavy doses of broad spectrum antibiotics, which had extreme detrimental effects in the poop-quality department. I went 5-6 months without a good hard one. Pops told me to eat a pile of kraut every day for a week and at least twice a week thereafter, and my problems would be solved. I did so, reluctantly, and it worked. I also ate a yogurt 3 times a week, but attribute my internal balance to the sauerkraut.

To this day, I eat kraut at least once a week with polish kielbasa and pierogis (wife is Polish), and live a life with a strong stomach and literally perfect regularity. Some people would give up their first born to have my intestinal tract health.

Great OP. Count me in as a kraut supporter.
    :les: Remembering "The Radish"...
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:38 pm
  • So I have terrible stomach issues and have been wanting to try kraut. My fear is I cannot eat any greens as I cannot digest them i.e. salads, coleslaw, sprouts spinach. Would kraut be different because of the fermentation. If not could I throw it in my berry smoothie in tje morning. I have bought some fromy local food coop just been scared to try it?
    stang233
    NET Rookie

Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:41 pm
  • stang233 wrote:So I have terrible stomach issues and have been wanting to try kraut. My fear is I cannot eat any greens as I cannot digest them i.e. salads, coleslaw, sprouts spinach. Would kraut be different because of the fermentation. If not could I throw it in my berry smoothie in tje morning. I have bought some fromy local food coop just been scared to try it?

Eating sauerkraut might enable you to eat greens.

:mrgreen:
    :les: Remembering "The Radish"...
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:14 pm
  • stang233 wrote:So I have terrible stomach issues and have been wanting to try kraut. My fear is I cannot eat any greens as I cannot digest them i.e. salads, coleslaw, sprouts spinach. Would kraut be different because of the fermentation. If not could I throw it in my berry smoothie in tje morning. I have bought some fromy local food coop just been scared to try it?

Not sure what stomach issues you speak of, but yes, Houston is right, probiotics can help and kruat is one of the best sources.

I personally had really bad acid reflux, and of all things, chili peppers helped cure it. Proton pump inhibitors, like Nexium or Prilosec, that doctors prescribe are the worst thing you can do to your body! It threw everything off.

Natural food based cures are so much better than western medicine. I'm not an advocate of abandoning doctors entirely, but definitely, whenever possible avoid pharmaceutical "cures" every time you can.
    SeAhAwKeR4life
    NET Veteran

Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:22 am
  • Eat your greens
    Don't forget the beans
    And celery
    Don't forget to bring
    Your fake ID
    Eat a bunch of these
    MAGNIFICENT
    With sauerkraut