Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Anyone ever quit chewing?

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:40 am
  • Cope Wintergreen user here.

I really need/want to quit. Have never really tried quitting before. Been dipping for 12 years now... Probably 1/2 can a day, and depending on stress, I'm at 3/4 or one whole can.

Big tobacco got my dad. It took 40+ years, but it got him. After his death, I quit for 70 days, and then caved like a chump.

I have three boys, ages 5, 3, and 2. I want to break that for them. I think generational addictions are real, and I just don't want to pass that on.

What sucks for me is I work in a place where probably 30 to 40 percent of folks have a fatty in most of the day.

Chewing tobacco is no joke. It's not easy to quit. I'm just curious if anyone here had this nasty habit and somehow kicked it?

If so, let's talk... Help me out.
    Rob12
    NET Veteran

Re: Anyone ever quit chewing?
Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:41 am
  • Should add...

I do want to quit for my boys, but I want to quit for myself, too. Just so tired of knowing that I'm wasting away here.
    Rob12
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:56 am
  • Good luck man. I smoked and chewed for about 15 years. I quit smoking by chewing more. Chew was pretty tough though. Actually, I had to take a cotinine test for my company to avoid a big increase in my health insurance. So I quit for two weeks for that and just decided not to go back. I've been off it for about three years now. Still crave it just about every day. My kid is the reason I'm not going to go back. If it wasn't for the cotinine test, I'd probably still be doing it though. Unfortunately, I've replaced it with a snacking habit. I've gained 50 lbs since I stopped.

Personally, I don't believe in any of the gimmicks. You've got to say enough is enough, look the devil in the eye and beat him. He's a pretty lowdown dirty dude though, he ain't easy to keep down.
    I'm fly
    I should be in the sky with birds
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:16 am
  • Nicotine is a bad monster, no matter what habit it is. People who have never been addicted to it have no idea how hard it is.
    As an ex-smoker, I quit drinking alcohol for a super long time because I feel it is a 'trigger' substance to use nicotine. I think I read a science article that stated that they go hand in hand. They do because every time I quit before, I started again while drinking.
    I still crave the damned things too and probably will my whole life. I have a vape for emergencies but haven't used it for over a year.
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:01 am
  • I chewed for about 3 years. Quit by smoking. Smoked for 20ish years. Quit twice. For two years the first time and now for about 8 months. 2nd time was way easier because I knew I could do it.

It really comes down to 1) deciding flat out that you're done and 2) having the strength to get through the first couple of weeks.

If you can do that, just remind yourself of what you went through for the first couple of weeks when you get a craving, it'll help. I quit using e-cig the first time and cold turkey the second.
    Adopt A Rookie: Nick Vannett, TE - Ohio State University
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:10 am
  • Almost 40 years using Copenhagen here.

About 18 years ago I got tired of the nasty mouth and cost, the health risks were only a minor concern for me.
    I set my mind to quitting and did, did it cold turkey. I carried a full, unopened can with me for about a month but never touched it.
    Although I still had cravings they weren't hard to fend off because I had set my mind to quit.
    I went almost 3 years tobacco free. Then one day I took a pinch from a buddy. Been buying a can a day ever since. It was stupid to go back and I know that I should quit again but I've not made my mind up to do it again.

I'm no expert but I truly believe that addictions are mostly mental and if you set your mind to beating them, you can.
    I've read that the physical addiction takes about 7-10 days to get over, after that it's 99.99% mental.

Best of luck to you, I'm pulling for ya :{)

Edit: for perspective, a can of Copenhagen was 37 cents when I started buying it. It's well over $5 now. No telling how much money I've spent on that crap.
    At the time cigarettes were still available in machines for 50 cents and in a store they were around 30 cents.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Wed Feb 17, 2016 1:01 pm
  • Nicotine is Satan and the addiction is very deep. Gregg Allman (Allman Bros. Band) is on record as saying getting clean from heroin was easier than quitting nicotine (smoking). Ex-junkies told my brother the same thing. My brother died this last summer at only age 56 from a combo of a 2 pack a day habit for 45 or so years and being an alcoholic.

Have you talked to your doctor about Chantix? It is designed as a stop smoking aid but does so by attaching to the receptors in the brain that crave nicotine so might work for chewing as well. It worked well for me to GET STARTED in quitting nicotine. I was only smoking at the time but chewed off and on for many years as well, particularly when I was playing hoops so smoking didn't pollute my lungs. Do know though that while Chantix really works well for a lot of people, the psychological battle to stay off nicotine only begins once you are no longer taking Chantix. It can also cause personality changes (my ex turned from basic bitch to raving lunatic bitch on it). None the less, it is a good way to flush the nicotine out of your body though I believe some stays in your fat cells ala' THC only to break loose now and then over the first year causing occasional strong cravings.

As pmedic and Seahawkgal mentioned, I believe it's a lifelong battle to stay "clean" though I've also been told if you make 10 years you're home free (I'm at 9 1/4 right now). Also been told that once the smoke from cigs or the odor from an open can of chew no longer smells good you're home free. That is NOT the case for me as they both still smell very good so I'm still susceptible I would guess.

I sincerely hope you find a way to get and stay off the shit. And Lon, same goes for you. I'm not gonna pretend it's easy cuz it ain't. But, it is worth it financially, freedom the freedom from being a slave to a substance and in terms of health.
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:50 pm
  • Well I've read and heard this and that about the patch, but it sure has made me have an easier time. I suppose it's a hassle, and I still don't know what going from the 7MG patch to nothing will be like, but by that time the hand to mouth habit will be well broken and I'm not too worried, and am sure it will be much better than cold turkey from 2+ packs a day.

I was a hard smoker and cold turkey for me is so harsh that the first three days are like impossible for me to so much as concentrate on a TV show. I'm sure if nicotine withdrawal is harsh for you, patches might help. I think I'd avoid gum or lozenges though because it's too much like chewing and I know smokers who are endlessly hooked to lozenges now, as there is no step down program, other than self will.

I had over 10 years off and still re-started, and they never annoyed me, and enjoyment of the smell never went away.

I will not say that it is harder than coming off opiates. Opiates are far more hellish. I think the only reason I had an easier time coming off prescribed morphine, was because it had become more of a nuisance than smoking, and it was so hellish I swore to myself I never want to repeat the experience unless it's absolutely unavoidable. I wanted it over so bad and yet it dragged on for a month. Shakes, sweats twitches kicking, and it was a taper down, because it's safer, but really it also prolongs the hell. The first three days of not smoking is maybe 1/2 as bad as morphine withdrawal, which is very bad, but, opiate withdrawal is akin to flu, you're just useless till it's over....
    SeAhAwKeR4life
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:22 pm
  • Chewed Kodiak Wintergreen from the age of 17-23ish.. Started dating my future wife around that time, and she absolutely hated it. I was tired of the nagging and never ending cost increases of a can of it so I finally quit. Been 15 years so far, and I have no cravings or want to at all.

Nicotine addiction is no joke,
    "Practice without improvement is meaningless" - Chuck Knox
    2_0_6
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:38 pm
  • I quit 3 years ago, the thing that helped me the most was smokey mountain wintergreen. It's basically chew without the nicotine, taste good enough to fight the urge of a real chew but not so good you want to all the time. I also chewed a trillion sunflower seeds, to this day I still want a pinch of grizzly wintergreen everytime I see it and sometimes even when I don't. At the end of the day you've got to be strong or your screwed, when you get that urge remember why your doing it and do something else to replace it. Good Luck
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:14 pm
  • Quit or don't. Choice is yours.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:51 pm
  • Scottemojo wrote:Quit or don't. Choice is yours.

I respect you as much as any poster here and I get what you're saying, but it is SO much more than that. The devil always makes it easy to sell your soul and so very difficult to buy it back. But bottom line, and maybe this is what you're driving at, if you want to quit to the very depth of your soul, you can and eventually will.
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:09 am
  • Scottemojo wrote:Quit or don't. Choice is yours.

You ever deal with addiction, Scotte? Not saying you're wrong here. Just curious.
    Rob12
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 18, 2016 10:11 am
  • Rob12 wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:Quit or don't. Choice is yours.

You ever deal with addiction, Scotte? Not saying you're wrong here. Just curious.

I wondered the same thing.
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:48 pm
  • Yes. Chewed for several years in the Navy. Quit cold turkey. Told myself I didn't have a hair on my ass if I couldn't leave well enough alone for good. Haven't touched it and haven't wanted it in a long, long time.

Having done it, I think cold turkey is as effective and as easy as any other method that uses crutches to quit. If you want it, you will do it. If you don't, you'll find an excuse not to.
    "The ultimate number is W's, and that’s what matters in Santa Clara. As such, Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does." - Paul Gutierrez
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Thu Feb 18, 2016 2:17 pm
  • Why even start anything with tobacco?....I tried smoking a cig one and nearly threw up. I don't get the attraction.

If you use it, just push it away and quit the shit immediately.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu Feb 18, 2016 8:59 pm
  • Rob12 wrote:

Yep.

Something else has to matter more. And you have to think you are worth being better.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Thu Feb 18, 2016 9:45 pm
  • Rob12 wrote:

It's a cop out. My dad was a two pack a day smoker for 20 plus years. He watched his boss die of lung cancer.

Quit cold turkey the next day. Threw his cigarettes out the window while driving down I5 off Seneca St. That was over twenty five years ago.

He's 81 now and healthy as a horse.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *

Fri Feb 19, 2016 6:33 am
  • Here is a tip.
    We know that the "dip" after a meal is a good one.

Find a way to carry a toothbrush and paste with you.
    After you eat, go brush your teeth. This will replace the habit with an action and will get you used to a clean feeling mouth, vs the tobacco.

Might sound crazy but it helps, least it did for me.
    ITS A GREAT TIME TO BE A SEAHAWK FAN !
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

Fri Feb 19, 2016 7:47 am
  • Tech Worlds wrote:
    Rob12 wrote:

It's a cop out. My dad was a two pack a day smoker for 20 plus years. He watched his boss die of lung cancer.

Quit cold turkey the next day. Threw his cigarettes out the window while driving down I5 off Seneca St. That was over twenty five years ago.

Wish my family would have gotten the message from seeing loved ones and friends die. Cigarettes and tobacco took 3 grandparents (lung cancer), my father (lung cancer), my mother (COPD and heart attacks), my mother-in-law (lung cancer) and my father-in-law (COPD). Only my non-smoking grandmother was able to avoid the nicotine reaper. My mother just passed a few months ago and that was enough for my 20 year smoking wife. She's making it through with using an e-cig a couple times a day, but it's still rough when she's stressed or we are out having a good time.

Reading a pretty excellent book that details how Tobacco got so big, how it was able to deny the link between cancer and tobacco for so long, etc. Very illuminating.
    "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."---LP Hartley
    Trenchbroom
    NET Veteran

Fri Feb 19, 2016 11:01 am
  • Trenchbroom wrote:
    Tech Worlds wrote:
    Rob12 wrote:

Wish my family would have gotten the message from seeing loved ones and friends die. Cigarettes and tobacco took 3 grandparents (lung cancer), my father (lung cancer), my mother (COPD and heart attacks), my mother-in-law (lung cancer) and my father-in-law (COPD). Only my non-smoking grandmother was able to avoid the nicotine reaper. My mother just passed a few months ago and that was enough for my 20 year smoking wife. She's making it through with using an e-cig a couple times a day, but it's still rough when she's stressed or we are out having a good time.

Reading a pretty excellent book that details how Tobacco got so big, how it was able to deny the link between cancer and tobacco for so long, etc. Very illuminating.

Sorry to hear about how bad nicotine addiction devastated your loved ones. Hard to see first hand I'm sure.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *

Fri Feb 19, 2016 12:15 pm
  • Trenchbroom wrote:
    Tech Worlds wrote:
    Rob12 wrote:

Lost one grandfather to smoking at about age 77 and my brother (age only 56!) last summer to the tobacco reaper too. My sympathies for your losses.
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Feb 20, 2016 9:47 am
  • How about Swedish snus? Helped me quit cigs. It's a highly regulated food-grade product without the chemicals used in US products. And supposedly no documented cases of cancer from its use.

General is the brand most found in the US. About $3 a can for 24 portions. Best thing about it is since you put in your upper lip, there's no spitting.
    HawkDaHouse
    NET Rookie

Sat Feb 20, 2016 11:24 am
  • HawkDaHouse wrote:How about Swedish snus? Helped me quit cigs. It's a highly regulated food-grade product without the chemicals used in US products. And supposedly no documented cases of cancer from its use.

General is the brand most found in the US. About $3 a can for 24 portions. Best thing about it is since you put in your upper lip, there's no spitting.

How is that quitting? Swapping one tobacco product for another? IDK if it's lower cancer risk, but you're still left with a habit. My reason for quitting smoking is partially health, but partially wanting out from under the enslavement to an addictive habit.
    SeAhAwKeR4life
    NET Veteran

Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:22 pm
  • SeAhAwKeR4life wrote:
    HawkDaHouse wrote:How about Swedish snus? Helped me quit cigs. It's a highly regulated food-grade product without the chemicals used in US products. And supposedly no documented cases of cancer from its use.

How is that quitting? Swapping one tobacco product for another? IDK if it's lower cancer risk, but you're still left with a habit. My reason for quitting smoking is partially health, but partially wanting out from under the enslavement to an addictive habit.

Yeah as far as enslavement goes, I'm a huge Rush fan and have seen them 13 times. The first 5 times I saw them I was still a smoker and Neil's drum solo was just an excuse to run out for a quick smoke. After quitting, I actually stayed in my seat for his solos from that point forward and enjoyed them a great deal (rare for a drum solo, but it IS the Professor after all).
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Feb 21, 2016 6:43 am
  • It's simply a safer alternative. Nicotine is addictive, but it's the smoke that causes cancer.

Yes, ultimately having no addictions would be the goal. But if you put on 20 lbs or find something else addictive, personally I'm going with a safer alternative initially. Baby steps rather than bad withdrawal.
    HawkDaHouse
    NET Rookie

Sun Feb 21, 2016 11:27 am
  • Patches are a much safer alternative.

At least this guy would tell ya so....

SeAhAwKeR4life
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 23, 2016 2:57 pm
  • Rob12 wrote:Cope Wintergreen user here.

I really need/want to quit. Have never really tried quitting before. Been dipping for 12 years now... Probably 1/2 can a day, and depending on stress, I'm at 3/4 or one whole can.

Big tobacco got my dad. It took 40+ years, but it got him. After his death, I quit for 70 days, and then caved like a chump.

I have three boys, ages 5, 3, and 2. I want to break that for them. I think generational addictions are real, and I just don't want to pass that on.

What sucks for me is I work in a place where probably 30 to 40 percent of folks have a fatty in most of the day.

Chewing tobacco is no joke. It's not easy to quit. I'm just curious if anyone here had this nasty habit and somehow kicked it?

If so, let's talk... Help me out.

I traded out dipping for sunflower seeds. Still gross to other people but I enjoy it. Took a while before the craving for nicotine was gone and the craving for seeds kicked it.
    mrt144
    NET Veteran

It is currently Mon Jun 25, 2018 7:40 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information