Sciency stuff....advances in crystallography..cellular maps.

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • Some good stuff in molecular biology. Could be big.

New method opens crystal clear views of biomolecules

Slightly disordered crystals of complex biomolecules like that of the photosystem II molecule shown here produce a complex continous diffraction pattern (right) under X-ray light that contains far more information than the so-called Bragg peaks of a strongly ordered crystal alone (left). The degree of disorder is greatly exaggerated in the crystal on the right.

A scientific breakthrough gives researchers access to the blueprint of thousands of molecules of great relevance to medicine and biology. The novel technique, pioneered by a team led by DESY scientist Professor Henry Chapman from the Center for Free-Electron Laser Science CFEL and reported this week in the scientific journal Nature, opens up an easy way to determine the spatial structures of proteins and other molecules, many of which are practically inaccessible by existing methods. The structures of biomolecules reveal their modes of action and give insights into the workings of the machinery of life. Obtaining the molecular structure of particular proteins, for example, can provide the basis for the development of tailor-made drugs against many diseases. "Our discovery will allow us to directly view large protein complexes in atomic detail," says Chapman, who is also a professor at the University of Hamburg and a member of the Hamburg Centre for Ultrafast Imaging CUI.

Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

USMC 1970-77

• I wonder what this will do for cancer research.
    Annual Adopt a Rookie: Vannett
    NET Veteran

• Very cool. I am holding out hope that I will see a vaccine to cure most if not all cancers in my lifetime.

Like the proverbial UFO landing on the White House lawn, I won't hold my breath, but what a day that would be.

There are three certainties in life. Death, taxes and the perpetual shuffling of the Seattle Seahawks offensive line.
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

It is currently Sat Mar 24, 2018 8:23 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]