Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Aging Musicians Still With Us In 2016

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Aging Musicians Still With Us In 2016
Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:43 am
  • Quite the list. Some will start dropping like flies soon.

David Gilmour-70
    Ozzy and The Nug are both 67
    Neil Young 70
    Christine McVie-72
    Mick Fleetwood-68
    Lindsey Buckingham-66
    Sammy Hagar...68
    Tony Iommi is 67
    Jimmy Page is 72
    Don Henley is 68
    sammy hagar is 68
    Ian Gillian is 70
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays.
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• Most of those people suck with a handful of exceptions.

How the hell is Iggy Pop still alive?
    There was this monkey, right?
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

• I have it under good authority that Satan has called in several markers lately on the "soul-selling" in preparedness for the next phase of the whole apocalyptic thing that is closing in on us.

You'll see many of those on the list drop off very soon.

Oh, and Peaches? Yeah... uh huh... Clapton,Townshend, and Aretha, sure do suck.... :141847_bnono:

:34853_doh:
    :les: Remembering "The Radish"...
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Justin Bieber-21
    Super Bowl XLVIII Champions 2014.02.02 Seahawks 43 Broncos 8
    Cyrus12
    NET Veteran

Re: Aging Musicians Still With Us In 2016
Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:09 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:Most of those people suck with a handful of exceptions.

And Keith "Walking Corpse" Richards??? 72

"Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]

Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:19 am
  • Chuck Berry; The true King of R&R!
    In the clearing stands a boxer and a fighter by his trade.........

Paulie S.
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *

Sat Jan 23, 2016 10:33 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:Most of those people suck with a handful of exceptions.

Well fortunately for you Bieber has another 40 years in the music business, easy.
    "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."---LP Hartley
    Trenchbroom
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:04 pm
  • Aros wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:Most of those people suck with a handful of exceptions.

And Keith "Walking Corpse" Richards??? 72

He will outlive everyone on that list. The only thing that will take him out is hurricane force winds.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:41 pm
  • HoustonHawk82 wrote:I have it under good authority that Satan has called in several markers lately on the "soul-selling" in preparedness for the next phase of the whole apocalyptic thing that is closing in on us.

Oh, and Peaches? Yeah... uh huh... Clapton,Townshend, and Aretha, sure do suck.... :141847_bnono:

Yeah McCartney never did squat and Iommi can't play guitar nor can Gilmour and Waters never had a clue on a concept for an album. Fogerty didn't do shit. Neither did Seger. Oh, and Henley can't write good lyrics to save his life. And don't forget Chuck Berry isn't the godfather of R & R.

Seriously Peaches, your comment was what was shit IMO. But to each their own I suppose.

On this list Iommi might be the next onm to go. Sabbath is touring at present, but he's been battling cancer and could take a turn for the worse anytime.

As for Keith Richards, ain't nothin' gonna kill his ass.
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Jan 23, 2016 12:58 pm
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    HoustonHawk82 wrote:I have it under good authority that Satan has called in several markers lately on the "soul-selling" in preparedness for the next phase of the whole apocalyptic thing that is closing in on us.

Yeah McCartney never did squat and Iommi can't play guitar nor can Gilmour and Waters never had a clue on a concept for an album. Fogerty didn't do shit. Neither did Seger. Oh, and Henley can't write good lyrics to save his life. And don't forget Chuck Berry isn't the godfather of R & R.

Seriously Peaches, your comment was what was shit IMO. But to each their own I suppose.

On this list Iommi might be the next onm to go. Sabbath is touring at present, but he's been battling cancer and could take a turn for the worse anytime.

As for Keith Richards, ain't nothin' gonna kill his ass.

I literally said a handful of exceptions. Waters was never a great musician and was a dick. Pink Floyd was an example of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts. Bob Seger is absolutely shit. Fogerty was fine, I guess. Most of the names on that list are pretty mediocre.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

• Tom Petty is 65, WHAAAAT??!

I've always wished to see him concert as he's one of my all time favorites.
    SeaToTheHawks
    NET Veteran

• MontanaHawk05 wrote:Largent80.

I laughed.
    “If somebody thinks they're a hedgehog, presumably you just give them a mirror and a few pictures of hedgehogs and tell them to sort it out for themselves.”
    Vetamur
    NET Veteran

And you say Waters is a dick. Makes sense.
    “A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran

• DTexHawk wrote:

He is. What's your point?
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

• SeaToTheHawks wrote:Tom Petty is 65, WHAAAAT??!

I've always wished to see him concert as he's one of my all time favorites.

Only see him once if you do. I saw him on back-to-back nights when he and Pearl Jam were playing together and his shows were the exact same each night. Set list, between song banter...everything. I really enjoyed the first night, left early the second night.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:18 am
  • Brian Wilson is 73
    George Thorogood is 65
    Burton Cummings is 68
    Frankie Valli is 81
    Stevie Nicks is 67
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 25, 2016 12:16 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:
    DTexHawk wrote:

My point is most of these people don't suck and anyone that states that most do suck doesn't add much to the thread and probably is just a d***.
    “A society that gets rid of all its troublemakers goes downhill.”
    ― Robert A. Heinlein
    DTexHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 25, 2016 10:20 pm
  • DTexHawk wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:
    DTexHawk wrote:

My point is most of these people don't suck and anyone that states that most do suck doesn't add much to the thread and probably is just a d***.

Ding, ding, ding winner!

BTW though, Waters is a dick, an absolutely brilliant dick, but a dick none the less. Peaches was spot on about Floyd being an example of the whole being greater than the sum of the parts. Course you could say that about plenty of other bands as well.
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

• All I'm saying is there's an awful lot of mediocrity in that list. I mean Peter Cetera? Come on guys...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

• Let's get some music in here... from some of these aging rock stars..

Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Tue Jan 26, 2016 11:09 am
  • Hmmmm...and who co-wrote and produced this great piece of music?

Sorry, Peaches, I couldn't resist. :mrgreen:

Paulie S.
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *

Tue Jan 26, 2016 12:37 pm
  • LymonHawk wrote:Hmmmm...and who co-wrote and produced this great piece of music?

Frank Zappa? Not sure what you're getting at here... Frank died in 1993.

I don't mind Valley Girl. there are many many worse Frank songs out there - Crew Slut, Dinah-moe Humm, Dancin Fool to name but a few. I like the 7/4 vamp at the end here, very satisfying.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Tue Jan 26, 2016 10:47 pm
    LymonHawk wrote:Hmmmm...and who co-wrote and produced this great piece of music?

I don't mind Valley Girl. there are many many worse Frank songs out there - Crew Slut, Dinah-moe Humm, Dancin Fool to name but a few. I like the 7/4 vamp at the end here, very satisfying.

Well, when you said 'all but a handfull, suck' I thought you were trolling. So just thought I'd troll back atcha.

BTW: There are many very good to excellent talents on that list.

Paulie S.
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *

• LymonHawk wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:
    LymonHawk wrote:Hmmmm...and who co-wrote and produced this great piece of music?

Well, when you said 'all but a handfull, suck' I thought you were trolling. So just thought I'd troll back atcha.

There are some good to excellent talents on the list, but it's mostly mediocre talent that was part of a good band. Pete Townsend for example is a very overrated guitarist, but The Who were one of the greatest bands of all time.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

• Whats the criteria for being a great guitarist?
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

• peachesenregalia wrote:All I'm saying is there's an awful lot of mediocrity in that list. I mean Peter Cetera? Come on guys...

Dude, if you want to borrow my copy of The Karate Kid II soundtrack on vinyl to hear Glory of Love by Cetera just let me know. Another artist on that list is also on the album, Carly Simon! Plus New Edition and Dennis DeYoung. Why the Cetera hate? I had my 3rd kiss to a Chicago song, and Im pretty sure it wouldnt have happened without the song or my extra can of generic Diet Soda...
    “If somebody thinks they're a hedgehog, presumably you just give them a mirror and a few pictures of hedgehogs and tell them to sort it out for themselves.”
    Vetamur
    NET Veteran

• Vetamur wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:All I'm saying is there's an awful lot of mediocrity in that list. I mean Peter Cetera? Come on guys...

Dude, if you want to borrow my copy of The Karate Kid II soundtrack on vinyl to hear Glory of Love by Cetera just let me know. Another artist on that list is also on the album, Carly Simon! Plus New Edition and Dennis DeYoung. Why the Cetera hate? I had my 3rd kiss to a Chicago song, and Im pretty sure it wouldnt have happened without the song or my extra can of generic Diet Soda...

Peter Cetera hates native Americans. True story. You should be ashamed right now, Ross. I'm kind of ashamed of you, if I'm honest. Expected better.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

• AbsolutNET wrote:Whats the criteria for being a great guitarist?

If you have to ask, you'll never know.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Wed Jan 27, 2016 10:28 am
    LymonHawk wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:

There are some good to excellent talents on the list, but it's mostly mediocre talent that was part of a good band. Pete Townsend for example is a very overrated guitarist, but The Who were one of the greatest bands of all time.

Peaches: Methinks you and I look from different angles on this.

IMHO: There are musicians and there are entertainers. Some are great at one and not the other. Some are great at both. There are many musicians who can play the crap out of their instrument, but can't work with other musicians. They feel the need to stand out and forget about the whole. Their solos have to be the loudest, longest, fastest. To them everyone else is just back-up. It may work in the sound studio, but on a stage it kinda sucks. It's like they play only to impress other musicians and screw the audience.

Others may not be great individually, so to speak, but have great awareness of who they're playing with, what part they play, and who their audience is. IMHO: A band is like cooking. It may take many seasonings to come up with a flavor. One seasoning should not be so strong that is dominates the taste and loses the overall flavor. The same thing with bands. There looking for a sound.

One of the best musicians I ever knew was a guy called himself Buddy Stubbs. Bands had no problem with him 'sitting in' because he never tried to take over, he just played the holes. IMO: That's what makes a great musician.

Paulie S.
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *

Wed Jan 27, 2016 11:10 am
  • LymonHawk wrote:Peaches: Methinks you and I look from different angles on this.

IMHO: There are musicians and there are entertainers. Some are great at one and not the other. Some are great at both. There are many musicians who can play the crap out of their instrument, but can't work with other musicians. They feel the need to stand out and forget about the whole. Their solos have to be the loudest, longest, fastest. To them everyone else is just back-up. It may work in the sound studio, but on a stage it kinda sucks. It's like they play only to impress other musicians and screw the audience.

Others may not be great individually, so to speak, but have great awareness of who they're playing with, what part they play, and who their audience is. IMHO: A band is like cooking. It may take many seasonings to come up with a flavor. One seasoning should not be so strong that is dominates the taste and loses the overall flavor. The same thing with bands. There looking for a sound.

One of the best musicians I ever knew was a guy called himself Buddy Stubbs. Bands had no problem with him 'sitting in' because he never tried to take over, he just played the holes. IMO: That's what makes a great musician.

That's a fair say, Lymon. I think my point still stands though, a lot of the names on that list are mediocre 'musicians'. Some of my favorite musicians were not the frontmen of their respective bands, but were just excellent at what they did. ANYWAY, all a matter of opinion, obviously. I was just spouting mine.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

• I am shocked Sammy Hagar is 68.
    AbsolutNET
    * NET X's & O's Guru *

• LymonHawk wrote:

Well done Lymon. I used to be a band member and understand about how to make music, not create it. I mean I played trumpet and baritone and understand about the way music works. A few friends have played in what they call bands now a days and some of the leads override all else as you spoke of and some bass players do the same. I could hear the perfect symphony of music when I plugged my ears and listened for the melody of Rock and any other tune. It Meshed together. It Blended to make a finnesse cake that would thrill audiences like a great rush song....Tom Sawyer. They all fit...and that makes a great tune.

Entertainers do the running jumping and circus act macabre, but Musicians do great things with their minds, hearts, and hands/feet.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

• Seahawkfan80 wrote:
    Entertainers do the running jumping and circus act macabre, but Musicians do great things with their minds, hearts, and hands/feet.

And sometimes they can be both.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

• OkieHawk wrote:
    Seahawkfan80 wrote:

And sometimes they can be both.

Is that an Oderous Urungus reference?
    "The past is a foreign country: they do things differently there."---LP Hartley
    Trenchbroom
    NET Veteran

• I'd bet against Beiber and Brittney Spears before anyone on that list.

'Course, you did say "musicians".
    "The ultimate number is W's, and that’s what matters in Santa Clara. As such, Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does." - Paul Gutierrez
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Sat Jan 30, 2016 10:42 am
  • Let's not leave out one of my favorites...the fabulous Dr John! 75yo. I had the pleasure of seeing him at Jazz Alley in the early 90's. Terrific live show.

I used to cover this tune. See if ya can listen to it without tappin' your toes. Not a bad backup group, either. ;)

BTW Peaches, IIRC he did most of the keyboard work on 'Mad Dogs and Englishman.'

Paulie S.
    LymonHawk
    * El Primo *

• LymonHawk wrote:Let's not leave out one of my favorites...the fabulous Dr John! 75yo. I had the pleasure of seeing him at Jazz Alley in the early 90's. Terrific live show.

I used to cover this tune. See if ya can listen to it without tappin' your toes. Not a bad backup group, either. ;)

BTW Peaches, IIRC he did most of the keyboard work on 'Mad Dogs and Englishman.'

Yeah, Jeff Healey on guitar with him in this clip. One of my favorite players ever.
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

It is currently Sun Dec 16, 2018 2:00 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information