Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Cycling

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Cycling
Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:34 pm
  • So, I know we have some cyclists around here, but I don't think I've ever seen a thread about it. I bought a cheap POS $350 aluminum frame road bike last summer to see if it's something I'd enjoy and stick with. I came to really enjoy cycling a lot, and I wanted something nicer.

So, earlier tonight I received my new bicycle. A Trek Domane 6.2 Disc.

I did my first century in June, and haven't done another one since; got kind of busy with moving into a new place and starting a new job. I am definitely going to start using this beast a LOT. I only took it for a 10-minute test ride tonight since it was raining out and I discovered that I needed to make some adjustments a moment after I started, though.

Don't misunderstand me, I ride through the winter and all weather conditions; but I haven't put Boeshield on the screws and such yet to prevent rusting, and this bike is way too nice and expensive to not maintain as well as I possibly can.

So, which .NET members are cyclists, and what do you ride?

"VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Re: Cycling
Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:24 pm
  • My old ride.
    Sent from my Motorola Razor Flip Phone
    ZorntoLargent
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 02, 2015 6:18 am
  • Dont ride as much as I used to. My neighbors ruined that for me. I kinda like riding in the mountains a bit more tho. I bought a mt bike to feed that need. The Boise and Meridian police use a bike for about 2 years and then it goes back to where they lease it from and they do a once over and sell them. I got a trek 8000 for 550 several years back. I am thinking about getting it back in shape and going back out since the neighbors have moved with their damm dawgs or I can run over them with my bike. Still need to get on the indoors recumbent and get warmed up. That will come tho. My friend in TriCities has a trek mt bike and a few years back bought a road bike that was more than his Mt Bike...which surprised him. I think it was about 1800 or so for the road bike. But if you ride, you may as well enjoy it.

Always make sure you have the water you need or a watering hole to get more liquids when you ride. I almost ended up with heat exhaustion....heat STROKE one time while riding. It was not pretty me on the floor inside wanting to curl up like a fetal child.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:00 am
  • Nice bikes guys!

Those mad fiber wheels are awesome.

Here's my whip:

Happy
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:22 am
  • I'd love them on that BLACK bike........... :3:

I'm lucky, I know someone that worked there so I got a wholesale price.
    Sent from my Motorola Razor Flip Phone
    ZorntoLargent
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:38 am
  • Mountain biking count?

I used to race. Still hit the trails here in MN-WI
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:43 am
  • I've thought about biking to work, but their really isn't much of a shoulder to ride on and I don't trust other drivers.
    OkieHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:43 pm
  • This isn't my bike but its the same year/color.

I tried to find better pics but google wants to show me pictures of every year but 2004.
    The LOLs of the many outweigh the shame of the few
    Msfann
    NET Veteran

Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:31 am
  • ZorntoLargent wrote:I'm lucky, I know someone that worked there so I got a wholesale price.

Yea those things are collector's items now. I think they had some quality control problems (delamination) that eventually sunk them, which is really too bad, because it's a unique product.

On the topic of actually riding, I keep my rides short during the week on account of work and all (some days I hop on the trainer because that's all I have time for), but typically on Saturday mornings I got out for a big ride. That's my weekly 'me' time, when I clear my head of all the stressors that pile up during the week. Shaking the mental etch-a-sketch. It's amazing all the neat stuff I see out there.

Here's last Saturday's ride. Going to do the same route this Saturday but likely at a faster pace since I'll be solo and won't have to worry about looking after anyone else. I don't ride this far every Saturday, it's just how things happened to work out.

Happy
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:44 am
  • ^^^

Adopt A Rookie: Nick Vannett, TE - Ohio State University
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:40 pm
  • Giant Revolt 1.
    Subzero717
    NET Veteran

Mon Sep 07, 2015 8:26 am
  • If vanity is your vice you might be better off just curling the thing for reps? That's what I would do.

I've thought about investing in a decent bike but don't know anything about it.
    austinslater25
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 02, 2016 6:25 am
  • My wife and I started cycling last year at the very end of May after I weighed in at 298 lbs around my birthday.

I started out wanting to get my weight down to less than 220 lbs by the end of the year. That was accomplished in the middle of November...so I made my new goal to be less than 200 lbs by the end of the year. I weighed in at 199 lbs and made that goal happen on December 31st! lol Nothing like taking it to the wire I suppose. My overall weight loss goal is to get to 180 lbs and then I'll be happy. For my height (6' 2") it's a pretty good weight to shoot for.

My first ride was a 1.5 mile loop around our subdivision on May 31st. My legs were like jelly after that ride. Funny to think about it now though because today a mile and half isn't even a warm up. lol By the end of the summer around Labor Day I was averaging around 20-23 miles a day doing that same damned loop. Now that it's much colder outside we have set up our "pain cave" indoors in our second bedroom and are using Zwift on our trainers. If you guys haven't heard of Zwift, check it out....it's really cool. Nowadays I'm averaging 2.25-2.5 hours a day and around 40 miles every day. I haven't missed a single day of riding since I started on May 31st. I'm addicted to say the least. I ended up with just shy of 4900 miles for the year....but it was only half a year of riding. This year my goal is to hit at least 10000 miles. At only 33 miles a day required I'm pretty sure I can hit that.

Our bikes now are a 2015 Cannondale Synapse carbon 105 for myself (had to have that black and action green bike lol) and a 2016 Cannondale Synapse carbon 105 for my wife. We got them for each other for Christmas this year. We both can't wait until it warms up in the spring and we can get them on the road.
    Largefarva
    NET Starter

Sat Jan 02, 2016 11:27 am
  • You know Ro mostly did it for an excuse to wear spandex
    I'm fly
    I should be in the sky with birds
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Sat Jan 02, 2016 1:13 pm
  • Don't we all though? Makes me feel pretty.
    Largefarva
    NET Starter

Sat Jan 02, 2016 4:14 pm
  • Did STP last year for the first time. Just booked a hotel in Bellingham at the mid-point stop for the RSVP this August.

marko358
    NET Veteran

Mon Jan 04, 2016 12:27 pm
  • austinslater25 wrote:If vanity is your vice you might be better off just curling the thing for reps? That's what I would do.

I've thought about investing in a decent bike but don't know anything about it.

What in earth would curling carbon fiber do for your pythons?
    Subzero717
    NET Veteran

Fri May 11, 2018 10:35 am
  • Cycling is really fun. Especially in the beautiful PNW that you guys have there. I don't know about thousands for a bike? But to each his own. If you want it that bad and appreciate a nice bike I guess it's good. As long as you can afford it. Yes if you spend that much for it you should take care if it big time. It's great exercise and cardio too. Something about seeing the scenery as you go along is always so much better than being in a gym on an exercise bike. Sitting in one place on a bike watching TV or whatever is boring. Being in nature and looking at the forest, mountains and wildlife and getting the open breeze is just fun and more exciting. I used to bike a lot. But not as much anymore.
    SanDiego49er
    NET Rookie

Fri May 11, 2018 10:50 am
  • Just don't become one of those jack wagons that tell you to "share the road" but then don't follow any of the actual rules of the road.
    134 Miles? Nicely done!
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri May 11, 2018 3:26 pm
  • SoulfishHawk wrote:Just don't become one of those jack wagons that tell you to "share the road" but then don't follow any of the actual rules of the road.

This times a million.
    HawkGA
    NET Hall Of Famer

It is currently Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:07 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information