April 14. #ForTheThrone

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: April 14. #ForTheThrone
Thu May 16, 2019 1:17 pm
  • https://www.change.org/p/hbo-remake-gam ... nt-writers

Change.org petition to remake season eight with competent writing. 562,000 signatures at the time of this post, including my own from back when it was under 50,000, lol.

There's like...0% chance it will happen, but it's fun to watch the notoriety it's getting from so many signatures on it now.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Thu May 16, 2019 1:35 pm
  • OMG it's a tv series and people are acting like it's a life changing event.

OK.....Hahahaha.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu May 16, 2019 1:36 pm
  • KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Thu May 16, 2019 1:36 pm
  • I'm pretty sure .NET is life-changing for you Rob, and it's a web forum. :)

The therapy thing is ridiculous, though.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Thu May 16, 2019 1:47 pm
  • Yeah.....It's Really, Really HEAVY.

Hahahahahaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Ummm, no.

My life doesn't revolve around a program that I don't even subscribe to. Not going to pay for HBO which is worthless, I stream through my Nvidia Shield, that gives me incredible content without a subscription to HBO.
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu May 16, 2019 2:14 pm
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Thu May 16, 2019 3:34 pm
  • Baby Boomers were taught to duck and cover, worry about the draft worry about Nuclear Missles. Gen Xers and millennial's worry about how well a TV show does and need therapy because it traumatized them. :)
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Thu May 16, 2019 4:24 pm
  • I agree..people need to relax. What ending did you want to see? Unless it ends like Dexter which was still an awesome series except the ending or Lost which was the stupidest ending ever...than GOT is still a damn good series and probably one of the best ever. Sons of Anarchy imo and Breaking Bad are about the only 2 series that stayed strong until the end but I for one will miss GOT when it's done.
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Fri May 17, 2019 9:02 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:https://www.change.org/p/hbo-remake-game-of-thrones-season-8-with-competent-writers

Change.org petition to remake season eight with competent writing. 562,000 signatures at the time of this post, including my own from back when it was under 50,000, lol.

There's like...0% chance it will happen, but it's fun to watch the notoriety it's getting from so many signatures on it now.

Definitely a Millennial generation thing. Fan service will be the death of entertainment.

OMG WE DON'T LIKE THIS, CHANGE IT OR ELSE WE'RE GONNA THROW A TANTRUM!!!
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri May 17, 2019 2:25 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:Definitely a Millennial generation thing. Fan service will be the death of entertainment.

Better to go back to the days of comedians wearing blackface and no one complaining, amirite?
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Fri May 17, 2019 3:27 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Definitely a Millennial generation thing. Fan service will be the death of entertainment.

Better to go back to the days of comedians wearing blackface and no one complaining, amirite?

Are those the two options?
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Fri May 17, 2019 4:47 pm
  • Zebulon Dak wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:Definitely a Millennial generation thing. Fan service will be the death of entertainment.

Are those the two options?

I guess so. :229031_shrug:
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Sat May 18, 2019 7:34 pm
  • LMFAO. One of the best meme pics of anything ever.

RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Sun May 19, 2019 2:24 pm
  • KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Sun May 19, 2019 3:20 pm
  • 1 last episode for people to complain about...I think the most suitable ending is everyone dying and meeting up in the afterlife in a church in heaven.
    Cyrus12
    Silver Supporter
    Silver Supporter

Sun May 19, 2019 3:23 pm
  • I hope the ending is one of those "it was all a dream" endings. Those are my favorite. Totally blows my mind every time.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Sun May 19, 2019 4:55 pm
  • fenderbender123 wrote:I hope the ending is one of those "it was all a dream" endings. Those are my favorite. Totally blows my mind every time.

Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Sun May 19, 2019 5:27 pm
  • I'm not generally a fan of "it was all a dream" endings, but I think the meme with Ned Stark telling Cat he had a terrible dream would probably be a better ending than whatever we're about to see; but that's an assumption based on this season to date. We could be pleasantly surprised.

#OneLastTime
    #33MinutesToGo
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Sun May 19, 2019 7:19 pm
  • I'm finished.

What a disappointment.

One actual great moment in the entire friggin' episode.

For me, at least; the way this season has unfolded is worse than anything that has happened in the books, or in the show before it. We've seen some sad and horrific character deaths, but killing the legacy of the entire friggin' show is worse.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Sun May 19, 2019 7:56 pm
  • felt like a cop out. Great series undone by a Michael Bayish final season.
    bevellisthedevil
    NET Veteran

Sun May 19, 2019 8:12 pm
  • Tyrion in season one: "I have a soft spot in my heart for cripples, bastards, and broken things."
    Tyrion in season eight: "I name Bran the Broken King of Westeros."

We never got to see Arya use her faceless man gifts this season.

Sansa betrayed Jon Snow and got promoted to Queen in the North for her betrayal.

Cersei and Jaime killed by ****ing rocks.

Dany turns mad queen literally on a dime, not even overnight.

Cersei emerging from the rubble with three baby elephants literally would have been a better ending to the show.

D&D killed the show's legacy, and that is a worse feeling than anything that has happened in the books or the show to date prior to this.

UGH.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Mon May 20, 2019 2:20 am
  • It should have ended with that throne room scene. As Dany is making the long, slow walk to the throne, her hair blows in the wind like the white walker's did when Arya scooted past to kill the Night King. Except this time it's Jon sprinting past her to sit on the throne first. He says "I win". Roll credits.
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon May 20, 2019 5:36 am
  • Truly unsatisfying. What a waste of the production crew and actors time (as always, terrific work) to speed through dozens of layered plotlines over a decade because Star Wars is calling. The scene of Drogon standing behind Dany was cool.

So basically, Bran after not wanting the north accepts the role of KING and everyone is cool with it. And by everyone I mean a jarring sitcomish council meeting of people who probably wouldn't want a Stark ruler are just ok with it. Because history. And then Dorne is fine with the north being independent but they aren't. Got it. Also, way to just forget about Dany. Major character from day 1 who was just killed and they couldn't give 2 minutes to discuss it.

On that, couldn't show where Dany was carried off to for 10 seconds even during the final montage? Even just her laying on a pyre somewhere back home would have been fine with Drogon guarding her. Probably in Essos since they said heading east.

No idea at all why Bronn is master of coin. Guess they really just gave up on Tyrion being intelligent. Another slapstick comedy moment crammed in there. Sam had an intro course to becoming a maester so lets just throw him in there too for fan service even though he 1000% should have died in episode 3.

5 spinoffs in the works, I guess 3 are going forward. The one they've confirmed so far is about the fall of man during the golden era (thousands of years prior to GOT) and creation of the NK. GRRM seems to be pretty involved with it so that's promising. Hoping this can replace the bad taste season 8 left. Wonder if another is Arya exploring west since she was able to convince an entire crew to head out where everyone who tries to explore dies.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Mon May 20, 2019 8:19 am
  • After a night's sleep, I've never been more convinced in my life about something: we were given absolutely shit writing for this season and especially this finale.

What a joke.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Mon May 20, 2019 8:44 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:After a night's sleep, I've never been more convinced in my life about something: we were given absolutely shit writing for this season and especially this finale.

What a joke.

The writing's been bad for two seasons, it's just been magnified this season due to the series ending and everyone's expectations sky high.

Let's be honest, what outcome would have satisfied all of us? IMO where the writers went wrong this season was dragging out the slower episodes like the finale last night with too much corny melodrama and levity that didn't hit.

Last night should have been a 45 minute episode with the final 20 minutes running directly after Jon and Dany's final scene in the Iron Throne chamber. We didn't need 40 minutes of yukking it up around the table and more corny ham fisted Tyrion speeches.

PS. Who's guarding the seven kingdoms? The Sullied left, the Dothraki aren't going to guard Bran without Dany, the North went home with Sansa, Jon's hanging out with the Wildlings, Asha and the Ironborn don't seem too excited. Who's left?
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon May 20, 2019 8:48 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:After a night's sleep, I've never been more convinced in my life about something: we were given absolutely shit writing for this season and especially this finale.

What a joke.

The writing's been bad for two seasons, it's just been magnified this season due to the series ending and everyone's expectations sky high.

Let's be honest, what outcome would have satisfied all of us? IMO where the writers went wrong this season was dragging out the slower episodes like the finale last night with too much corny melodrama and levity that didn't hit.

Last night should have been a 45 minute episode with the final 20 minutes running directly after Jon and Dany's final scene in the Iron Throne chamber. We didn't need 40 minutes of yukking it up around the table and more corny ham fisted Tyrion speeches.

PS. Who's guarding the seven kingdoms? The Sullied left, the Dothraki aren't going to guard Bran without Dany, the North went home with Sansa, Jon's hanging out with the Wildlings, Asha and the Ironborn don't seem too excited. Who's left?

Ser Podrick Effin' Payne, that's who!
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Mon May 20, 2019 8:49 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:After a night's sleep, I've never been more convinced in my life about something: we were given absolutely shit writing for this season and especially this finale.

What a joke.

Yeah, the two major battles that happened within episodes of each other deserved multiple episodes, if not entire seasons. It's no surprise HBO/GRRM wanted 10 seasons, they definitely saw how much story was left to tell in a meaningful way. The ramifications of Dany destroying the city could have played out over multiple episodes and instead it's impact is forgotten within minutes. I was so hyped during the S6 ending after Cersei destroyed 1/3 of the cast and the final scene is everyone finally coming by boats with the dragons flying around them. I wasn't excited for last night. Interviews with cast members make it clear they aren't thrilled with the ending either. Even Peter Dinklage gives half assed efforts to promote the show and he's the best actor they have (probably because he went from an emmy winning character with some of the best dialogue on television to a dick joke maker).

The framework is there for a satisfying finish, I think we all assumed something sad would happen between Jon and Dany after the Tower scene confirmed R+L=J. It's like they took GRRM's bullet points and did nothing but use them to get from A to B as quickly as possible. The books likely go in a similar direction, however he will actually take the time to flesh out character motivations so it isn't such jarring narrative changes. So many character stories dropped as well. Bran's multi-season journey to become the 3ER is seemingly pointless since all he did was stare at the cast and make non sequitur comments (shoutout Hodor). Arya learned how to take faces for no payoff.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Mon May 20, 2019 9:57 am
  • Seanhawk wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:After a night's sleep, I've never been more convinced in my life about something: we were given absolutely shit writing for this season and especially this finale.

What a joke.

Ser Podrick Effin' Payne, that's who!

Not if Bronn gets his brothels.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon May 20, 2019 10:58 am
  • It sound like this show got a little complacent towards the end, not just with the writing. Viewers spotted a Starbucks coffee cup in a scene a few week ago. Now a water bottle was spotted on the final episode. [emoji2960]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    James in PA
    NET Veteran

Mon May 20, 2019 11:30 am
  • Satisfying ending to an unsatisfying season. I actually really enjoyed last night's finale. I just wish they would have given seasons 7 and 8 all the time that they needed to get where they were going.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Mon May 20, 2019 12:43 pm
  • Some people need serious therapy. It’s just a TV show. Hahaha.
    Guess what? There are other shows to watch. I’m not cancelling HBO cause I have to watch the 2nd season of The Deuce and right now I am enjoying Chernobyl a lot. I also plan on checking out Big Little Lies, per the suggestion of a good friend.
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

Mon May 20, 2019 12:47 pm
  • Im telling you guys, Barry is great.
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Mon May 20, 2019 12:48 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:I'm finished.

What a disappointment.

One actual great moment in the entire friggin' episode.

For me, at least; the way this season has unfolded is worse than anything that has happened in the books, or in the show before it. We've seen some sad and horrific character deaths, but killing the legacy of the entire friggin' show is worse.

:laugh:
    Uh, we are all finished cause it is done. On to the next thing.
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *

Mon May 20, 2019 2:55 pm
  • I would think since they consulted with Martin back in 2013 the fate of the main characters is what Martin envisioned. So any issues with that should be criticisms of Martin not the show runners.

But the journey of how we got to the end of last night is on the show runners. Especially if they made the decision to cut things off when the 2 shorter seasons when HBO was willing to give them a longer runway

So many things missing like the conversation when Jon tells his siblings about his true parents or Bran telling Tyrion about his time beyond the wall. As Seinfeld would say they yadda yadda’d the best parts
    HawkRiderFan
    NET Veteran

Mon May 20, 2019 2:58 pm
  • HawkRiderFan wrote:I would think since they consulted with Martin back in 2013 the fate of the main characters is what Martin envisioned. So any issues with that should be criticisms of Martin not the show runners.

Guess we'll find out in a short 24 years when Martin finally finishes the books.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon May 20, 2019 4:25 pm
  • The biggest issue this ending had was the fact that they did a terrible job of seeding Dany's madness in the previous 3 seasons. If they had just laid a few tracks, I think this would have felt more earned. Ultimately, people whining about it just need to grow up and move on. It's a TV show that cut several plotlines from the books even before it passed it by. This was never the definitive version.

Whether we ever get that version or are happy with it, god knows, but I know this ending isn't worth getting upset over, and was somewhat poetic. You want an ending that truly shits on a shows legacy? Go watch Dexter.
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Mon May 20, 2019 6:11 pm
  • Loved it. Wish it could just keep going.
    Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Mon May 20, 2019 9:14 pm
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon May 20, 2019 11:01 pm
  • Seahwkgal wrote:Some people need serious therapy. It’s just a TV show. Hahaha.
    Guess what? There are other shows to watch. I’m not cancelling HBO cause I have to watch the 2nd season of The Deuce and right now I am enjoying Chernobyl a lot. I also plan on checking out Big Little Lies, per the suggestion of a good friend.

Everything you said translates to the fictitious books that most people base their entire lives and existences around.

I'm referring to the Bible, Quran, etc.

But, I suppose it's ok for them but not ok for people to feel a little down for an evening after a decade-long show they've loved ends, eh?

"It's just TV show."

To that, I say: It's just a book.

:)
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Mon May 20, 2019 11:06 pm
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:Satisfying ending to an unsatisfying season. I actually really enjoyed last night's finale. I just wish they would have given seasons 7 and 8 all the time that they needed to get where they were going.

I suspect that this is your brain forcing itself to protect itself from the trauma of admitting just how bad this season and the finale has been, actually. Just like the people who react with a laugh or boredom when their doctor tells them they have terminal cancer.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Mon May 20, 2019 11:34 pm

• Kristina Baskett graduated from Mount Rainier High School before heading to The University of Utah on a scholarship. Most recently, she spent time as a stunt double on the HBO show ‘Game of Thrones,’ filling in for Maisie Williams as Arya Stark.
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Tue May 21, 2019 8:36 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:Satisfying ending to an unsatisfying season. I actually really enjoyed last night's finale. I just wish they would have given seasons 7 and 8 all the time that they needed to get where they were going.

I suspect that this is your brain forcing itself to protect itself from the trauma of admitting just how bad this season and the finale has been, actually. Just like the people who react with a laugh or boredom when their doctor tells them they have terminal cancer.

Again, the writing's been bad for almost two seasons, so not sure why you're being overly critical of this season.

The last two seasons have been like a Michael Bay movie.........big, loud and dumb.

GOT is still one of the greatest achievements in TV history, and cinema for that matter. The uneven and ham fisted writing and plot direction of the last season isn't going to diminish that for me. What we got to be a part of for eight seasons is incredible.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue May 21, 2019 9:28 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    RolandDeschain wrote:
    JGfromtheNW wrote:Satisfying ending to an unsatisfying season. I actually really enjoyed last night's finale. I just wish they would have given seasons 7 and 8 all the time that they needed to get where they were going.

Again, the writing's been bad for almost two seasons, so not sure why you're being overly critical of this season.

The last two seasons have been like a Michael Bay movie.........big, loud and dumb.

GOT is still one of the greatest achievements in TV history, and cinema for that matter. The uneven and ham fisted writing and plot direction of the last season isn't going to diminish that for me. What we got to be a part of for eight seasons is incredible.

Roland, I did genuinely enjoy the finale. I definitely think they fumbled the end of the journey over the last couple seasons, but I was happy with the destination and felt like everyone's end was fitting (except Cersei and Jamie, Cersei deserved worse while Jamie deserved better).

I really wish Jon would have been named King, but him going off to live in the North away from the fighting and the game was fitting for him. Bran (the internet) should make for the best ruler, the North gets autonomy and Sansa gets to become a Queen, Arya gets to explore (and probably discover America), Brienne finishes Jamie's story in the Kingsguard book, Tyrion returns to Hand of the King where he's proven himself most valuable -- all of these things I was satisfied with and felt like they did well.

Sgt. Largent, I agree with you. The last couple seasons of inconsistent writing and lackluster payoffs (among a handful of great episodes and moments) did not and can not ruin GoT for me. I think seasons 2-4 are probably the best seasons of television I've ever watched. The spectacles of Hardhome, Battle of the Bastards, the destruction of the Sept., losing Viserion, Arya killing the Night King, watching Daeny destroy Kings Landing and more were enough to justify the last few seasons.

It'll be a long time before we see another show that rivals the quality of GoT.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Tue May 21, 2019 10:51 am
  • Personally, I think the writing in season eight is significantly worse than the writing in season seven. Seven went from great writing in season six to mediocre writing in season seven, but seven went from mediocre to flat-out terrible in season eight.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

Tue May 21, 2019 11:14 am
  • I enjoyed episodes 5 and 6 in isolation. Have a feeling they knew how those would go for many years now and mostly hit their mark, but for some reason decided to not spend appropriate time getting there, which is what made the previous seasons so good. The post Dany world could have had an entire season reorganizing the kingdom after what essentially was a terrorist attack, something I'd be very interested to see. My biggest disappointment is the urgency to end. Season 7 had writing issues and felt rushed but I forgave it because I thought it was to get to the finish line and really end strong. Still, probably my favorite show of all time and will go into every spinoff with an optimistic view.
    mistaowen
    NET Veteran

Wed May 22, 2019 4:53 am
  • Jeez man, the rebuilding of one room bothers you that much? I could say I work in construction management and we gut and rebuild entire schools from the inside out over the course of a single summer, so I think one room wouldn't be a problem if they put everyone on it. But that would be ridiculous because they are different times.

I get it, if this is a show about the sacking of Rome and they showed this it would be lame. But we are not talking about a historical time or even a historical place here, so I can suspend disbelief a bit. You are even bringing your own head canon in to complain about it. The guild hall was destroyed specifically by wildfire? I must have missed that. They even had a guild hall? I must have missed that.

Actual historical movies must drive you nuts because they are full of inaccuracies. Braveheart?
    Seanhawk
    NET Veteran

Wed May 22, 2019 6:51 am
  • I think the issues with Bran becoming king comes down to the disconnect between the books and show, if Bran being king was Martin's end game, which I think it is. I have heard in the books so far, it makes sense that Bran becomes king. TV Bran? Not so much.
    HawkRiderFan
    NET Veteran

Wed May 22, 2019 12:54 pm
  • Zebulon Dak
    * The Producer *

Wed May 22, 2019 2:12 pm
  • Well all those ships in the bay was sort of weird, Yara had her fleet destroyed, Eurons Fleet destroyed, the Kings Landing Armada destroyed.

That Small Council room was a bit much, a meeting about getting Gold to rebuild the City yet the Keep looks great, also where did the Taylors get all that material to make new Armor, and clothes for everyone.

Plus to rebuild you need labor.

Most of Kings Landing wiped out and the people to a large extent, the North had a large percentage of it's people wiped out as well. Riverlands and Freys wiped out, The Reach is the real northern region and the Aerie where damage didn't occur, but the Aerie took a large hit on their army up north also. That leaves Dorne, ya really think after the killing of most that dude in the chair they didn't name as the New Prince of Dorne was going to send everything to help after they basically wiped out their whole Hierarchy.

Unsullied and the Dorthraki don't do a lot of Arts and Crafts so.

One last thing.

Bran said he was going to look for Drogon, how can he rule and or look for Drogon when the High Sparrow removed and burned all of the Weirwood Trees. There is no Weirwood .Net in Kings landing which Bran needs to be able to tap into his Google.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Wed May 22, 2019 4:40 pm
  • At least Braveheart was a thoroughly entertaining film throughout. Nobody in their right mind can say that about season eight of Game of Thrones.
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *

PreviousNext

It is currently Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:22 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information