Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Books, what are you reading Today.

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Books, what are you reading Today.
Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:50 am
  • Currently, I'm re-reading

    About Face: The odyssey of an American Warrior by Col David Hackworth.

    Image
    2018 Adopt a Rookie: Rashaad Penny

    Image
    User avatar
    Sox-n-Hawks
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1702
    Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 3:26 am


Re: Books, what are you reading Today.
Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:28 am
  • I'm reading the spec sheet and C++ header files for the new TDK Inversense ICP-101xx barometric pressure sensor. That's the life of a geek.
    User avatar
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc
     
    Posts: 6217
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 6:29 pm
    Location: Orting WA, Great Northwet


Re: Books, what are you reading Today.
Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:47 am
  • An avid reader I haven't been reading as many books as I usually do as I have been so engrossed in Near Death Experience research. The anecdotal testimony of thousands just on the NDERF website (http://www.nderf.org/NDERF/NDE_Archives ... s_main.htm) url] alone is absolutely compelling and I can't stop reading it.

    The book I will get back to though:

    Image
    Image

    "Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    User avatar
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 12046
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:58 am
    Location: Just 4 miles from Richard Sherman!


Re: Books, what are you reading Today.
Wed Jun 13, 2018 7:47 am
  • GeekHawk wrote:I'm reading the spec sheet and C++ header files for the new TDK Inversense ICP-101xx barometric pressure sensor. That's the life of a geek.


    No spoilers, I haven't finished.


    I'm currently reading all of Willy Vlautin's books. He's a musician/author, in the style of Steinbeck and Bukowski.......melancholy Americana stories, but with a ton of heart and earnestness.

    https://www.amazon.com/Willy-Vlautin/e/B001IOHB9K


    The just made Lean on Pete, his most famous book into a movie with Steve Buscemi.

    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12535
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Books, what are you reading Today.
Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:01 am
  • Both Sadly and Joyfully, my reading list includes a lot of "Dr. Seuss", "Pete The Cat" and other similar styles. I do often miss quiet time just sitting and enjoying a good book, but it pales in comparison to time spent with my daughter during her toddler years.
    Image

    “You can please some of the people all of the time, you can please all of the people some of the time, but you can’t please all of the people all of the time”

    :les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    User avatar
    kidhawk
    * NET Moderator *
     
    Posts: 19273
    Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:00 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


Re: Books, what are you reading Today.
Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:19 am
  • I'm currently reading Brent Week's Night Angel trilogy.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    User avatar
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 9980
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:38 pm
    Location: Hagerstown, MD


Re: Books, what are you reading Today.
Wed Jun 13, 2018 4:03 pm
  • Marking Time, Tempting Fate, Changing Nature, Waging War, Cheating Death. The Immortal Descendents series. Great stuff with some minor bit erotica once or twice in a book. The thing I like about them is the paradox concept. That is as far as I shall go.

    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NB ... s_rw_dp_sw

    P.S. Reading it a second time...on the second book at the moment. Missed some details before.
    R.I.P. Queen.
    User avatar
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7633
    Joined: Sat Nov 05, 2011 12:20 pm
    Location: A little ways from Boise.


Re: Books, what are you reading Today.
Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:31 pm
  • Waiting on Winds of Winter, but there is probably going to be the book Fire and Blood first.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 23724
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Books, what are you reading Today.
Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:27 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:Waiting on Winds of Winter, but there is probably going to be the book Fire and Blood first.

    There's going to be the apocalypse first, because George R.R. Martin is going to die before releasing Winds of Winter.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *
     
    Posts: 29742
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Phoenix, AZ


Re: Books, what are you reading Today.
Wed Jun 13, 2018 8:47 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Waiting on Winds of Winter, but there is probably going to be the book Fire and Blood first.

    There's going to be the apocalypse first, because George R.R. Martin is going to die before releasing Winds of Winter.


    And the worst part is, if he does pull a Robert Jordan, he doesn't want the series finished.
    0118 999 881 999 119 725 3
    User avatar
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3960
    Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:44 pm
    Location: In the basement of Reynholm Industries


Re: Books, what are you reading Today.
Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:03 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:There's going to be the apocalypse first, because George R.R. Martin is going to die before releasing Winds of Winter.


    I'm sure you remember when Stephen King got hit by that car and was very seriously injured, and all the horrified conjecture that he may not have finished the Dark Tower books. BTW, I recall rumbles he had beginnings of macular degeneration, but that was years ago, and I've heard nothing since, so hopefully no truth in it.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 517
    Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:37 pm
    Location: Adelaide, South Australia


Re: Books, what are you reading Today.
Thu Jun 14, 2018 3:50 am
  • I read ebooks wherever possible - either purchased online or borrowed from the local library. Anyway, currently I'm reading a series of maybe-pulpy but entertaining science fiction books by one Eric Thomson, who I'd never heard of until Kobo recommended him to me when I bought other sci-fi ebooks from them. The four-book series is called "Siobhan Dunmoore" (she's commander of a space Naval frigate; a ship with a toxic history). There's an ongoing, stalemated interstellar war between the (human) Commonwealth, and the enemy Shrehari Empire, who are a vaguely Klingon-like species . The books are:

    No Honor in Death
    The Path of Duty
    Like Stars in Heaven
    Victory's Bright Dawn

    A fifth book is in progress.

    If anyone has any other interstellar war books to recommend, please let me know! Actually, the Eric Thomson recommendation was sent to me by Kobo when I bought the Merkiaari Wars Series by Mark E. Cooper, who in turn I'd never heard of before, either, which Kobo recommended when I bought... I can't freaking remember right now!

    The Merkiaari are up there with the Borg, the Primes (Peter F. Hamilton) and the Sh'daar (Ian Douglas, aka William H. Keith, Jr) when it comes to utterly ruthless+++, totally xenophobic alien species, who DEMAND to have the entire known universe to themselves alone. The Shrehari are kind-of "nice" interstellar enemies, in comparison.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 517
    Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:37 pm
    Location: Adelaide, South Australia


Re: Books, what are you reading Today.
Thu Jun 14, 2018 7:16 am
  • chris98251 wrote:Waiting on Winds of Winter, but there is probably going to be the book Fire and Blood first.


    With how disappointed I was with Feast for Crows and Dance with Dragons, I honestly don't care anymore if Martin ever finishes Winds of Winter.

    The show has far surpassed the books in telling the GOT story in a more concise and entertaining way.

    I'll of course read Winds of Winter if it ever comes out, but I have ZERO confidence that Martin is all of a sudden going to restrain himself from writing a 1200 page bloated tome.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12535
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Books, what are you reading Today.
Thu Jun 14, 2018 2:24 pm
  • kidhawk wrote:Both Sadly and Joyfully, my reading list includes a lot of "Dr. Seuss", "Pete The Cat" and other similar styles. I do often miss quiet time just sitting and enjoying a good book, but it pales in comparison to time spent with my daughter during her toddler years.


    Nothing beats it David. Treasure it as you are, it goes much, much too fast.
    Image

    "Shaquem Griffin tells ESPN after he got drafted by Seattle; 'I can't breathe.' That's the only time you'll hear him say he can't do something." - Dan Wetzel via Twitter.
    User avatar
    Aros
    [[ .NET Godfather ]]
     
    Posts: 12046
    Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2007 12:58 am
    Location: Just 4 miles from Richard Sherman!


Re: Books, what are you reading Today.
Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:58 pm
  • Aros wrote:An avid reader I haven't been reading as many books as I usually do as I have been so engrossed in Near Death Experience research. The anecdotal testimony of thousands just on the NDERF website (http://www.nderf.org/NDERF/NDE_Archives ... s_main.htm) url] alone is absolutely compelling and I can't stop reading it.

    The book I will get back to though:


    (image of cover of Stephen King's "11/22/63" deleted)

    That's a great book, Todd! I've read it four times, and watched the TV series on Netflix or Stan (can't remember which). I think it is my equal-third-favourite King book.

    About Near Death Experience; a few years ago on the radio I vaguely remember them talking about and playing some music which had somehow been communicated by people who had been through this, and it was very striking. I've sadly no memory of what it was called, or anything. I don't know even HOW people can communicate music which was "in their heads" if they can't play any instruments, or read/write music!

    I was once recommended an album called "Abyss" by Chelsea Wolfe (I'd never heard of her) and that was to me evocative of "near death" for some reason. I haven't heard it for ages, but I recall it was distressingly compelling... if that even makes sense.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 517
    Joined: Thu Jul 23, 2015 9:37 pm
    Location: Adelaide, South Australia


Re: Books, what are you reading Today.
Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:01 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:The show has far surpassed the books in telling the GOT story in a more concise and entertaining way.

    I'll of course read Winds of Winter if it ever comes out, but I have ZERO confidence that Martin is all of a sudden going to restrain himself from writing a 1200 page bloated tome.

    Aye. This is one case where the show clearly outdoes the written source material.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *
     
    Posts: 29742
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Phoenix, AZ


Re: Books, what are you reading Today.
Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:02 pm
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:The show has far surpassed the books in telling the GOT story in a more concise and entertaining way.

    I'll of course read Winds of Winter if it ever comes out, but I have ZERO confidence that Martin is all of a sudden going to restrain himself from writing a 1200 page bloated tome.

    Aye. This is one case where the show clearly outdoes the written source material. Frankly, Martin has been getting unearned credit because of the show.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *
     
    Posts: 29742
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Phoenix, AZ


Re: Books, what are you reading Today.
Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:47 pm
  • I think you need to re read, the books are far more detailed and less loop holes, the format however is what pisses people off the Storm of Swords and Feast of Crows are Parallel to each other in time but are very dry in the writing of all the back stories and characters that are not even in the show but make it a fuller story.

    Many people don't have the patience for a vetted out story, will agree Martin does get real wordy and goes off to the extreme at times however.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 23724
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Books, what are you reading Today.
Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:52 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:I think you need to re read, the books are far more detailed and less loop holes, the format however is what pisses people off the Storm of Swords and Feast of Crows are Parallel to each other in time but are very dry in the writing of all the back stories and characters that are not even in the show but make it a fuller story.

    Many people don't have the patience for a vetted out story, will agree Martin does get real wordy and goes off to the extreme at times however.


    A Storm of Sword precedes both A Feast for Crows and A Dance with Dragons, which run parallel to each other.
    0118 999 881 999 119 725 3
    User avatar
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3960
    Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:44 pm
    Location: In the basement of Reynholm Industries


Re: Books, what are you reading Today.
Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:55 pm
  • Parts of A Dance with Dragons does, but Martin himself a stated Storm and Feast are Parallel each other, why the Characters point of view is different on both books and don't overlap as well.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 23724
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Books, what are you reading Today.
Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:12 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:I think you need to re read, the books are far more detailed and less loop holes, the format however is what pisses people off the Storm of Swords and Feast of Crows are Parallel to each other in time but are very dry in the writing of all the back stories and characters that are not even in the show but make it a fuller story.

    Many people don't have the patience for a vetted out story, will agree Martin does get real wordy and goes off to the extreme at times however.

    I read the entire series a second time five months ago. There is no chance in hell that the books are better than the show, and that's literally the only book series that's been turned into a show I've ever said that about.
    Image
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    User avatar
    RolandDeschain
    * Spelling High Lord *
     
    Posts: 29742
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:39 am
    Location: Phoenix, AZ


Re: Books, what are you reading Today.
Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:22 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:Parts of A Dance with Dragons does, but Martin himself a stated Storm and Feast are Parallel each other, why the Characters point of view is different on both books and don't overlap as well.


    Again, you're thinking of Feast and Dance, which Martin stated overlapped. Robb Stark, Joffrey, and Tywin Lannister were all dead by the start of Feast, which all happens in the waning chapters of Storm. Tyrion escapes at the end of Storm, is not in Feast, and reappears in Dance. Sansa is in the Vale throughout Feast and Dance, after escaping King's Landing with Littlefinger towards the end of Storm.
    0118 999 881 999 119 725 3
    User avatar
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3960
    Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 6:44 pm
    Location: In the basement of Reynholm Industries


Re: Books, what are you reading Today.
Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:34 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:I think you need to re read, the books are far more detailed and less loop holes, the format however is what pisses people off the Storm of Swords and Feast of Crows are Parallel to each other in time but are very dry in the writing of all the back stories and characters that are not even in the show but make it a fuller story.

    Many people don't have the patience for a vetted out story, will agree Martin does get real wordy and goes off to the extreme at times however.

    I read the entire series a second time five months ago. There is no chance in hell that the books are better than the show, and that's literally the only book series that's been turned into a show I've ever said that about.


    Well the Highgarden and Martells as well as Sand Snakes make a lot more sense and feel more part of the story, also the show made them a dead end, the Victorian Greyjoy aspect in the books seemingly being replaced by Euron is much better as well, just fuller and while painted in a broad stroke by Martin seems to have more continuity.

    Also as we know the Wildlings and Mance Ryder is much more informative and makes more sense and the books that story is still evolving.

    Granted the show can't include everything, but the story has a lot of loose ends on the show that need to be wrapped up, Quaith being another mystery.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 23724
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Books, what are you reading Today.
Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:43 am
  • Currently reading two books, alternating when I find the time.

    The Baseball Codes: The Unwritten Rules of America’s Pastime
    The Drawing of the Three (Dark Tower 2)
    User avatar
    HAWKAMANIA
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 998
    Joined: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:23 am


Re: Books, what are you reading Today.
Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:42 am
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:I think you need to re read, the books are far more detailed and less loop holes, the format however is what pisses people off the Storm of Swords and Feast of Crows are Parallel to each other in time but are very dry in the writing of all the back stories and characters that are not even in the show but make it a fuller story.

    Many people don't have the patience for a vetted out story, will agree Martin does get real wordy and goes off to the extreme at times however.

    I read the entire series a second time five months ago. There is no chance in hell that the books are better than the show, and that's literally the only book series that's been turned into a show I've ever said that about.


    Again, Roland I agree with you 100% on this.

    The show is better than the books.


    Modern era (1990ish to current) Fantasy series that are superior to ASoIaF:

    Wheel of Time
    Annals of the Black Company
    Malazan Book of the Fallen
    Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn , What Was Lost, The Witchwood Crown (all the Osten Ard stuff by Tad Williams)
    The Witcher Saga
    Name of the Wind


    crap, even the B grade fantasy Chic lit stuff I am reading right now (Kushiel's Dart, et) may be better.

    Certainly my own fantasy series is better, in my opinion, and in the opinion of my Beta's. In fact, my beta readers typically hound me for suggestions on books "like mine" when they finish my novel, because I leave them with a craving for actual high fantasy with well developed characters, consequences for actions, and above all, a storyline that does not depend on deus ex machina for a resolution - which is pretty rare these days.
    User avatar
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1921
    Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:57 pm
    Location: Tucson, AZ


Re: Books, what are you reading Today.
Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:37 am
  • chris98251 wrote:I think you need to re read, the books are far more detailed and less loop holes, the format however is what pisses people off the Storm of Swords and Feast of Crows are Parallel to each other in time but are very dry in the writing of all the back stories and characters that are not even in the show but make it a fuller story.

    Many people don't have the patience for a vetted out story, will agree Martin does get real wordy and goes off to the extreme at times however.


    All the books are detailed, it was only after Storm came out and the books skyrocketed in popularity that unfortunately Martin fell victim to what a lot of authors fall victim too...................a detriment to their own success.

    They gain power over their publisher, and therefore editor. They get to ramble, flesh out all the side characters they want, go as deep into the historical aspect of families, etc.

    That's what Martin's done, and IMO it's made for FAR less enjoyable books since Feast. I don't need an extra 300-400 pages of exposition, back story and minutia.

    So good for him I guess, he gets to feed his ego by making us wait forever inbetween books because he has 20 different side projects and isn't chained to deadlines anymore, and when he does write he isn't beholden to his publisher and editor. He can just write......................and write.........................and write..................................and write.................................
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12535
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Books, what are you reading Today.
Tue Jun 19, 2018 12:37 pm
  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:I think you need to re read, the books are far more detailed and less loop holes, the format however is what pisses people off the Storm of Swords and Feast of Crows are Parallel to each other in time but are very dry in the writing of all the back stories and characters that are not even in the show but make it a fuller story.

    Many people don't have the patience for a vetted out story, will agree Martin does get real wordy and goes off to the extreme at times however.

    I read the entire series a second time five months ago. There is no chance in hell that the books are better than the show, and that's literally the only book series that's been turned into a show I've ever said that about.




    Fantasy is the genre that suffers the most from "glut". Part of that is everyone wants to write like Tolkien.

    I understand that, because there are certain aspects that fantasy readers want... they want that level of immersion, so often fantasy authors go out of their way to be overly detailed.

    And it gets ridiculous.

    Certainly Martin gets ridiculous. You don't need 12 pages to describe a feast -- you just don't. You can do something like that in one page if you are a skilled writer.

    I'm not against dramatic descriptive writing at all -- the Great Gatsby is one of the my favorite novels ever written, and Fitzgerald gets pretty dramatic in his descriptions, but he does it in FEW WORDS. That's the brilliance of his writing - he can set an entire scene and make it poetry in just a few paragraphs.

    Now, I like to think I'm a competent writer -- I can compare my fiction writing to a guy like Martin, or a guy like Erickson - but I could never compare my writing to one of the great literary writers. When I read my own writing (not the trash I scribble out here on the boards) but my actual craft, and I know where I stand. I know I have a game as good as Martin, I can play in his court, but I also know that I am not, nor ever will be - Truman Capote, Cormac McCarthy, Steinbeck, et. Those guys are true literary writers. They're on a different level. I'm just a fantasy writer.

    The problem with Martin is that he's gotten so many accolades he's started to believe he's one of THOSE guys instead of just a pulp guy, just a fantasy writer, and so he wades into every scene using 10x more words than he needs because he's deluded himself into believing his words are that good.

    They're not.

    I pray to the gods of fantasy, Tolkien, Howard, and McDonald, to be spared from my own ego should I ever find a smidgen of Martin's success -- and that I can find a way to finish all of my books and get started on another series before I check out of this world and rob my readers of resolution...
    User avatar
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1921
    Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:57 pm
    Location: Tucson, AZ


Re: Books, what are you reading Today.
Tue Jun 19, 2018 1:00 pm
  • The_Z_Man wrote:
    I pray to the gods of fantasy, Tolkien, Howard, and McDonald, to be spared from my own ego should I ever find a smidgen of Martin's success -- and that I can find a way to finish all of my books and get started on another series before I check out of this world and rob my readers of resolution...


    Perfectly summarized my thoughts on Martin.

    It's like this is somehow wickedly fun to him now, to lord the Song of Fire and Ice story ending over us until his demise. Which I used to care about before the show, but now honestly I don't care anymore..................because I'm sure it'll be just like Martin's previous three books, and final two if he ever finishes them. Underwhelming and unsatisfying.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12535
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Books, what are you reading Today.
Tue Jun 19, 2018 2:16 pm
  • Really think he has a axe to grind about television and not getting his chance as early as he wanted when he was involved in the Twilight Zone.

    I look at guys like Dean Koontz and Stephen King who when they were on their really creative tear were dropping books 2 and 3 times a year it seemed, many made it to a screen adaption of some sort that they were also consultants on King much more then Koontz in that regard.

    Martin suffers from a world creation, so complex he needs a full staff to keep facts and time lines straight, throw in he is writing screen plays he has a another show coming out on SYFY here shortly Nightshades or something like that as well as a co producer of the Game of Thrones Prequel or prequel involvement, the new book Fire and Blood coming here soon I think November, plus the Winds of Winter and Dream of Spring. Not to mention all his appearances and interviews he states he has scaled back.

    Plus he still uses a old word pro program or something that he has on a Commodore or Tandy 80 by the looks of it. that he writes with. I guess it's his comfort zone kind of like the Dark Half having to use the old big #2 black beauty pencil to write his books.


    But with the volume of projects he has his fingers in too you would think he would find a upgrade or something.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 23724
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Books, what are you reading Today.
Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:10 pm
  • I love to read ..
    Anything that I could and most of that was before the web..
    The thing is today my eyes have dimmed so that makes it
    not as fun.Yeah I got readers but seems like the more you
    wear them the worse it gets when you don't have them on.
    Anyway "The Godfather"is very good in book.(Mario Puzo)
    I also like The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich
    Book by William L. Shirer.
    Be warned these books have like a thousand pages...
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    User avatar
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3819
    Joined: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:42 pm


Re: Books, what are you reading Today.
Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:13 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:Really think he has a axe to grind about television and not getting his chance as early as he wanted when he was involved in the Twilight Zone.

    I look at guys like Dean Koontz and Stephen King who when they were on their really creative tear were dropping books 2 and 3 times a year it seemed, many made it to a screen adaption of some sort that they were also consultants on King much more then Koontz in that regard.

    Martin suffers from a world creation, so complex he needs a full staff to keep facts and time lines straight, throw in he is writing screen plays he has a another show coming out on SYFY here shortly Nightshades or something like that as well as a co producer of the Game of Thrones Prequel or prequel involvement, the new book Fire and Blood coming here soon I think November, plus the Winds of Winter and Dream of Spring. Not to mention all his appearances and interviews he states he has scaled back.

    Plus he still uses a old word pro program or something that he has on a Commodore or Tandy 80 by the looks of it. that he writes with. I guess it's his comfort zone kind of like the Dark Half having to use the old big #2 black beauty pencil to write his books.


    But with the volume of projects he has his fingers in too you would think he would find a upgrade or something.



    The main issue is the level of success he's achieved.

    When you get THAT BIG, you really can't enjoy it... it's too much for anyone, especially for a nerdy introvert.

    JK Rowling has pretty much been destroyed as a human being - I mean, compare the way she used to be to the way she is now. If you watch those old videos of her interviews, she was respectful of all people and all views, always careful about the feelings of others - now she's all ego, a big ugly bull in a glass shop, smashing everything that remotely annoys her. She flat out drags everyone and anything that doesn't EXACTLY fit her worldview.

    That's what happens, though, when you spend your entire life getting your ass kissed.

    Tolkien, when he realized what was coming his way, went into full retreat. He flat out wrote in a letter "I want no part of this adoration, it is unseemly, and undue..."

    He wanted no part of it.

    I sure wouldn't. I'll be quite content to be that corner little guy who may have to self publish, or who is able to make a living selling a modest amount of books that only certain readers enjoy or get.

    When readers become obsessed with the characters I get a little bit freaked out, almost to the point where I feel a sense of impending doom. Like, no way could I deal with a fandom like that on a massive scale -- half a dozen beta readers hounding me about details is quite enough as it is.
    User avatar
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1921
    Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:57 pm
    Location: Tucson, AZ


Re: Books, what are you reading Today.
Tue Jun 19, 2018 5:19 pm
  • The_Z_Man wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Really think he has a axe to grind about television and not getting his chance as early as he wanted when he was involved in the Twilight Zone.

    I look at guys like Dean Koontz and Stephen King who when they were on their really creative tear were dropping books 2 and 3 times a year it seemed, many made it to a screen adaption of some sort that they were also consultants on King much more then Koontz in that regard.

    Martin suffers from a world creation, so complex he needs a full staff to keep facts and time lines straight, throw in he is writing screen plays he has a another show coming out on SYFY here shortly Nightshades or something like that as well as a co producer of the Game of Thrones Prequel or prequel involvement, the new book Fire and Blood coming here soon I think November, plus the Winds of Winter and Dream of Spring. Not to mention all his appearances and interviews he states he has scaled back.

    Plus he still uses a old word pro program or something that he has on a Commodore or Tandy 80 by the looks of it. that he writes with. I guess it's his comfort zone kind of like the Dark Half having to use the old big #2 black beauty pencil to write his books.


    But with the volume of projects he has his fingers in too you would think he would find a upgrade or something.



    The main issue is the level of success he's achieved.

    When you get THAT BIG, you really can't enjoy it... it's too much for anyone, especially for a nerdy introvert.

    JK Rowling has pretty much been destroyed as a human being - I mean, compare the way she used to be to the way she is now. If you watch those old videos of her interviews, she was respectful of all people and all views, always careful about the feelings of others - now she's all ego, a big ugly bull in a glass shop, smashing everything that remotely annoys her. She flat out drags everyone and anything that doesn't EXACTLY fit her worldview.

    That's what happens, though, when you spend your entire life getting your ass kissed.

    Tolkien, when he realized what was coming his way, went into full retreat. He flat out wrote in a letter "I want no part of this adoration, it is unseemly, and undue..."

    He wanted no part of it.

    I sure wouldn't. I'll be quite content to be that corner little guy who may have to self publish, or who is able to make a living selling a modest amount of books that only certain readers enjoy or get.

    When readers become obsessed with the characters I get a little bit freaked out, almost to the point where I feel a sense of impending doom. Like, no way could I deal with a fandom like that on a massive scale -- half a dozen beta readers hounding me about details is quite enough as it is.


    I think George embraces it though, he struck gold and now wants to extract everything he can, Writers have book signings and stuff to market their books etc, he goes out of his way to make appearences and show his face everywhere like he is rubbing shoulders with elite. The problem is he is not elite, just very good and he created a universe that he is mining, Dunk and Egg and other stories. He has always been a brash personality whenever I have seen him in a public situation.

    Artists and yes I consider writing a art, being able to paint a picture with words that can inspire a persons imagination is a art. Acting as well musicians also, many just want to create, whether its a story, song, or a performance. Gene Hackman comes to mind as well as Pacino and Brando, great acting (well Brando maybe not great) but not wanting to be a publicity magnet, they were old school before social media of course but chose to have some private life and were scorned for it. The thing is they didn't give a shit.

    Stephen King was pretty much going down the George arc for a while, he churned out books faster but cameos and interviews all over for a while, till his near death experience that changed his whole life, he took control back and selects how much he appears and writes now. Easier when you have his name granted but his legacy series The Gun Fighter was one of the things he vowed he would complete once he recovered and he did do that very soon after he recovered.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 23724
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Books, what are you reading Today.
Tue Jun 19, 2018 9:29 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:I think George embraces it though, he struck gold and now wants to extract everything he can, Writers have book signings and stuff to market their books etc, he goes out of his way to make appearences and show his face everywhere like he is rubbing shoulders with elite. The problem is he is not elite, just very good and he created a universe that he is mining, Dunk and Egg and other stories. He has always been a brash personality whenever I have seen him in a public situation.

    Artists and yes I consider writing a art, being able to paint a picture with words that can inspire a persons imagination is a art. Acting as well musicians also, many just want to create, whether its a story, song, or a performance. Gene Hackman comes to mind as well as Pacino and Brando, great acting (well Brando maybe not great) but not wanting to be a publicity magnet, they were old school before social media of course but chose to have some private life and were scorned for it. The thing is they didn't give a shit.

    Stephen King was pretty much going down the George arc for a while, he churned out books faster but cameos and interviews all over for a while, till his near death experience that changed his whole life, he took control back and selects how much he appears and writes now. Easier when you have his name granted but his legacy series The Gun Fighter was one of the things he vowed he would complete once he recovered and he did do that very soon after he recovered.



    That's a pretty decent take.
    User avatar
    The_Z_Man
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1921
    Joined: Wed Nov 13, 2013 5:57 pm
    Location: Tucson, AZ


Re: Books, what are you reading Today.
Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:13 am
  • chris98251 wrote:Easier when you have his name granted but his legacy series The Gun Fighter was one of the things he vowed he would complete once he recovered and he did do that very soon after he recovered.


    I can already taste the salt.
    User avatar
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1695
    Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:37 am
    Location: Wenatchee


Re: Books, what are you reading Today.
Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:35 am
  • The_Z_Man wrote:
    That's what happens, though, when you spend your entire life getting your ass kissed.

    Tolkien, when he realized what was coming his way, went into full retreat. He flat out wrote in a letter "I want no part of this adoration, it is unseemly, and undue..."

    He wanted no part of it.

    I sure wouldn't. I'll be quite content to be that corner little guy who may have to self publish, or who is able to make a living selling a modest amount of books that only certain readers enjoy or get.

    When readers become obsessed with the characters I get a little bit freaked out, almost to the point where I feel a sense of impending doom. Like, no way could I deal with a fandom like that on a massive scale -- half a dozen beta readers hounding me about details is quite enough as it is.



    I think it's the exact opposite with Martin, he's now enjoying the fame, fortune and adoration.

    Image

    Talk to any writer and they'll tell you the worst feeling in the world is not having your writing appreciated, and that was Martin for the better part of his career until the Song of Ice and Fire series took off.

    Good for him, he deserves it. But it doesn't mean we can't be critical of how he's handled the series, or him seemingly relishing in holding us all hostage with how it ends.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12535
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


Re: Books, what are you reading Today.
Wed Jun 20, 2018 8:37 am
  • I'm currently re-reading "Words of Radiance" by Brandon Sanderson, part of The Stormlight Archives. It's the best current fantasy epic still being written IMO. The world he created is truly unique, and the cultures are fascinating. The characters are relatable, and well fleshed out. Another good fantasy series is The Twilight Reign by Tom Lloyd.
    User avatar
    SilNWest
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 576
    Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:51 am
    Location: Auburn, Wa




It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:48 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 52 guests