Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Radio competitions...

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Radio competitions...
Sun Feb 18, 2018 12:41 am
  • I was a minor winner in a radio competition here, many years ago, called "The Jukebox from Hell." You nominated a song/artist you hated, by postal letter (no email back then), and if it got read out on the breakfast program, you got an invite to the party at a big hotel, to announce the overall major winner of a real jukebox full of GOOD records. All on 45... no CDs back then, circa 1983-4 or so.

The nomination I made was a puerile song called "A Mean Pair of Jeans" by an Australian singer called Marty Rhone. I described him as "a poor man's Shaun Cassidy" and the DJ running the event (the late, great John Vincent), said I had a sick and twisted mind, and that he liked that in a person. I won a parka of hideously bright colour, with a cheesy Jukebox from Hell logo on it. I've still got it, but I'm far too porky for it to fit.

I didn't win the major prize, but the party (masses of free finger-food and drinks) was awesome, and I was delighted to meet Vinnie (John Vincent), and I said to him he was the only DJ I knew who looked like his voice. He laughed, and said he'd take it as a horrible insult.

Today, Vinnie is a legend in Adelaide, to people who remember those times. Great radio is a thing to be treasured in memory, at least for 50-somethings like me.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Re: Radio competitions...
Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:04 am
  • The only thing I've ever won from a radio contest was tickets to a concert by Traffic when they did a reunion tour in the 90s. Talking to other people there, it seemed that almost everyone else in attendance had also won tickets on the radio, and I bet less than half the audience actually bought their tix.
    GeekHawk
    US Navy ET Nuc

Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:09 pm
  • Ahh , the crap we got to see and do before smartphones an twitter
    I'm 52 and my son's 15 in three weeks
    He admits music from our time seemed to have a lot more thought put into the music then so he secretly loves to listen to the classic station in the car
    Post a pic of the jacket if ya get a chance gramps :sarcasm_off:
    It'd probably be fun to pull it out after a while anyway
    You sound like a nice guy
    After being here since 2002 or so It's fun in the off season to have somethin to read that's positive and off topic
    :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers: :irishdrinkers:
    What are you
    I'm a mog , half man , half dog
    I'm my own best friend
    hawxfreak
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 20, 2018 12:34 am
  • GeekHawk wrote:The only thing I've ever won from a radio contest was tickets to a concert by Traffic when they did a reunion tour in the 90s. Talking to other people there, it seemed that almost everyone else in attendance had also won tickets on the radio, and I bet less than half the audience actually bought their tix.

Wow, Traffic! Great band (and Steve Winwood), from what little I've heard. My wife actually won $1,000 in another competition, on an AM station, about 25 years ago.
    Aussie Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:22 pm
  • We had a bingo competition when I was but a lad. My mom and me and a brother would play and hope to get the bingo blackout before anyone else did. We did never win anything...but that is the way the ball bounces.

On another note...on the radio, a friend of the family at the times gas station was giving out 45s records and we heard about it on the radio. We went downtown 4 LONG miles away to get to the station so we could get some of them records. Mom and pop still have some of them records. That was back in the early 70s....like about 72 or 73.....Had to use me fingers and toes on that one to get the year. Aint gonna say how old I was....
    R.I.P. Queen.
    Seahawkfan80
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:59 pm
  • I won the Mariners Albertsons Junior Sportscaster contest when I was 14, about 2 weeks before I was aged out as ineligible. I got to meet Dave Niehaus and Rick Rizzs, and watched Randy Johnson pitch one of his final gems as a Mariner (9.0 IP/5 H/0 R/2 BB/15 K). We won 2-0. Here's the boxscore:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/SEA/SEA199807110.shtml

That was almost 20 years ago.
    RIP Paul Allen, 1953-2018

The greatest owner in Seattle sports history.

189-152-1
    Maulbert
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 22, 2018 8:04 pm
  • I won a lot of Albums from KIZW when I was in High School, now you had to call in and be a certain number that they would answer so in those days we still had rotary dialing so it was a challenge, when mom got the push button phone I had it down to a art form with timing. I have most the Albums still, must have won like 20 or so and then they said I could not play anymore :)

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

It is currently Wed Dec 12, 2018 2:28 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE .NET LOUNGE ]

Information