Best (cheap) way to boost/extend/repeat wifi signal?

The Lounge is for non-sport-related topics other than politics, war and religion. Order up your favorite beverage, kick back and enjoy the conversation! RATING: PG-13
  • Having our annual draft party at my house this year. 11 are showing up with their laptops, the other 3 are all around the country and can't make it. My concern is that I have centurylink wireless and I'm not sure it will be enough to have 11 laptops logged on at the same time. I have a ZyXel PK5001z modem. Any good ways/tricks to make my signal stronger? Or do I just need to buy a booster?

Thanks.
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

• As long as your router has enough available IP addresses, it shouldn't be an issue. Especially if where you're holding the draft party, you don't normally have any problems with a single laptop.

Now, depending on your router, things may slow down a bit with that many connections, but even a booster or WAP wouldn't help. That's all on your router.
    taz291819
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• This thread will be of some assistance: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=70184

Now, that being said, some routers allow you to boost their wi-fi broadcasting power in the router settings. This is to increase signal strength and has nothing to do with how many people are connected to it, though. It's usually represented as DBM or SNR if your router supports it. I can't find an actual PDF manual for your device, (stupid Zyxel...) but the info page on the site for it looks to have directions on how to find what I'm referring to.

https://qwest.centurylink.com/interneth ... radio.html

Go there, and tell me what options are on the wireless power level and 802.11 mode drop-down menus, as well as what they're currently set to.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• RolandDeschain wrote:This thread will be of some assistance: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=70184

Now, that being said, some routers allow you to boost their wi-fi broadcasting power in the router settings. This is to increase signal strength and has nothing to do with how many people are connected to it, though. It's usually represented as DBM or SNR if your router supports it. I can't find an actual PDF manual for your device, (stupid Zyxel...) but the info page on the site for it looks to have directions on how to find what I'm referring to.

https://qwest.centurylink.com/interneth ... radio.html

Go there, and tell me what options are on the wireless power level and 802.11 mode drop-down menus, as well as what they're currently set to.

Awesome, thanks Roland. When I get home from work I'll look it up.
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:33 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Information