Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » THE NET NATION LOUNGE » [ THE NET LOUNGE ]

Post subject: Best (cheap) way to boost/extend/repeat wifi signal?
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 7:33 am 
NET Veteran

Having our annual draft party at my house this year. 11 are showing up with their laptops, the other 3 are all around the country and can't make it. My concern is that I have centurylink wireless and I'm not sure it will be enough to have 11 laptops logged on at the same time. I have a ZyXel PK5001z modem. Any good ways/tricks to make my signal stronger? Or do I just need to buy a booster?

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Best (cheap) way to boost/extend/repeat wifi signal?
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:13 am 
*SILVER SUPPORTER*
*SILVER SUPPORTER*

As long as your router has enough available IP addresses, it shouldn't be an issue. Especially if where you're holding the draft party, you don't normally have any problems with a single laptop.

Now, depending on your router, things may slow down a bit with that many connections, but even a booster or WAP wouldn't help. That's all on your router.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 8:15 am 
*NET FCC Liaison*

This thread will be of some assistance: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=70184

Now, that being said, some routers allow you to boost their wi-fi broadcasting power in the router settings. This is to increase signal strength and has nothing to do with how many people are connected to it, though. It's usually represented as DBM or SNR if your router supports it. I can't find an actual PDF manual for your device, (stupid Zyxel...) but the info page on the site for it looks to have directions on how to find what I'm referring to.

https://qwest.centurylink.com/interneth ... radio.html

Go there, and tell me what options are on the wireless power level and 802.11 mode drop-down menus, as well as what they're currently set to.

*He can change a win into a loss.
*He can change a loss into a win by getting injured.
*RedAlice is right.

Post Posted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 1:44 pm 
NET Veteran

RolandDeschain wrote:
This thread will be of some assistance: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=70184

Now, that being said, some routers allow you to boost their wi-fi broadcasting power in the router settings. This is to increase signal strength and has nothing to do with how many people are connected to it, though. It's usually represented as DBM or SNR if your router supports it. I can't find an actual PDF manual for your device, (stupid Zyxel...) but the info page on the site for it looks to have directions on how to find what I'm referring to.

https://qwest.centurylink.com/interneth ... radio.html

Go there, and tell me what options are on the wireless power level and 802.11 mode drop-down menus, as well as what they're currently set to.

Awesome, thanks Roland. When I get home from work I'll look it up.

Board index » THE NET NATION LOUNGE » [ THE NET LOUNGE ]