US Mens Soccer

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: US Mens Soccer
Tue Jun 25, 2019 9:04 am
  • Threedee wrote:The bottom line is that there is no history of greatness on the men's team. We had that 50s team which upset England, the afore-mentioned 1930 team, and a few teams that went deep. Meanwhile, the women's team came out of the gate as a great team.

I look forward to the future of the men's team, with developed players who are at least capable of playing for gold.

First of all there wasn't even a Women's World Cup until 1991, and the reason our women "came out of the gate a great team" is because they had a 20 year head start on the rest of the planet in developing their sport, and in another 20 years we won't be the same powerhouse we are now. It used to 2-3 other countries challenging us, now it's 10, and in 20 years it'll be 30.

So you're expecting the men to do the same even though they're competing with world soccer powers that have FAR superior leagues, infrastructure, academies and development programs in place for literally decades and decades longer than our men's program........and still continue to run laps around us in all those areas.

Stop comparing the two just because we're 'Merica, and everyone thinks we should just automatically win at everything cause it's us.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Tue Jun 25, 2019 10:25 am
  • Threedee wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Threedee wrote:The bottom line is that there is no history of greatness on the men's team. We had that 50s team which upset England, the afore-mentioned 1930 team, and a few teams that went deep. Meanwhile, the women's team came out of the gate as a great team.

I look forward to the future of the men's team, with developed players who are at least capable of playing for gold.

What happened in 1930 has no bearing on the landscape of modern soccer in any country.

The women "came out of the gate" fast because the nation had been committed to the women's game for decades before there was a Women's World Cup.

The rest of the world is just catching up to the US and you can see that in their development structure.

I always figured it was because:

American Women > Foreign Women

Well... yeah. But for reasons.

Frances academy and league structure is now more advanced and stable than ours. So is England's.Most major clubs now have a Women's component and academy for example. Most MLS teams do neither.

These nations are working hard to catch up after ignoring the women's game for years.

This is not to excuse the failures on the men's side. Only perspective for the women's. They have issues that may become apparent vey soon as well.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Jun 26, 2019 3:14 pm
  • I was just being cheeky about the > remark. That was intended to be a jingoistic "Murricah" type plug about the superiority of the American woman, and not a comment on the state of women's soccer. Your quote above about how our women were better prepared in 1991 stands.
    Threedee
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:17 pm
  • Threedee wrote:I was just being cheeky about the > remark. That was intended to be a jingoistic "Murricah" type plug about the superiority of the American woman, and not a comment on the state of women's soccer. Your quote above about how our women were better prepared in 1991 stands.

I knew what you meant. All good.

Nice win for USMNT tonight.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Jun 27, 2019 6:24 pm
  • USMNT dominated possession last night. They just couldn't finish...seemed like they should have had 3-4 goals instead of 1 but they did win. It would be nice to see a Pulisic, Morris, Altidore front line. Probably won't happen though.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 28, 2019 8:58 am
  • hawkfan68 wrote:USMNT dominated possession last night. They just couldn't finish...seemed like they should have had 3-4 goals instead of 1 but they did win. It would be nice to see a Pulisic, Morris, Altidore front line. Probably won't happen though.

I think you will see more of this as we move towards WC qualifying.

Now is the time you want to experiment if you're Berhalter with players, lineups and formations, especially against some of these weaker Gold Cup teams.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:32 am
  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:USMNT dominated possession last night. They just couldn't finish...seemed like they should have had 3-4 goals instead of 1 but they did win. It would be nice to see a Pulisic, Morris, Altidore front line. Probably won't happen though.

Now is the time you want to experiment if you're Berhalter with players, lineups and formations, especially against some of these weaker Gold Cup teams.

That lineup wouldn't make much sense though. Those are not 3 types of players that could play well together.

Morris and Pulisic maybe... but then you need an agile and creative 9 that will run off him. Zardes maybe but better. Sargent will be that player. The team wants to tuck wingers in and use the backs to overlap. Antidote just screws it all up because he's not technical enough for the incisive passing in the center and not quick enough to run into spaces created by the condensed spacing of the front 3.

Also need a very active 10 or 8 to run off and over Pulisic.

But yes, certainly more exploration to come.
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:59 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:USMNT dominated possession last night. They just couldn't finish...seemed like they should have had 3-4 goals instead of 1 but they did win. It would be nice to see a Pulisic, Morris, Altidore front line. Probably won't happen though.

That lineup wouldn't make much sense though. Those are not 3 types of players that could play well together.

Morris and Pulisic maybe... but then you need an agile and creative 9 that will run off him. Zardes maybe but better. Sargent will be that player. The team wants to tuck singers in and use the backs to overlap. Antidote just screws it all up because he's not technical enough for the incisive passing in the center and not quick enough to run into spaces created by the condensed spacing of the front 3.

Also need a very active 10 or 8 to run off and over Pulisic.

But yes, certainly more exploration to come.

I've never been a big fan of Altidore, he's not a consistent enough target forward, too streaky. Yes he can get hot and score a bunch of goals, but then he can disappear for months at a time...........and IMO he's an antiquated style of forward. Stationary hold up forward that uses his size to create space, but needs to be perfectly serviced to be effective.

Also not in love with Zardes, but at least he's got more quickness and speed to give a more dynamic and dangerous look to our attack.
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jul 01, 2019 11:32 am
  • That was the most uninspiring 1-0 win I've seen. Curacao looked like the better team for much of the second half.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Thu Jul 04, 2019 12:02 pm
  • Last night was what I hope this team can be on a consistent basis going forward. That was probably their best performance of the last 2 years.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Thu Jul 04, 2019 9:58 pm
  • 1st 15, sure. Was fantastic attacking soccer. Controlled and measured st times, quick and dangerous at others

Rest of the game was on the back foot to a mediocre Jamaica sided with 2 good players and a handful of semi pros.

McKinnie was very good. Pulisic great at times but also far too careless. I liked the Cannon at right back and Arreola at left wing.

That was about it. Steffens will be very good soon enough. Back line is error proned and slow with the ball. Rest of the group lacked and dynamism.

I like the formation, think the right cosch is in place, and am excited when the right players get their chance. No more Jordan Morris or Altidore after Sunday. Try Weah and Sargent for friendlies. Try new cbs as well...
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:11 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:I like the formation, think the right cosch is in place, and am excited when the right players get their chance. No more Jordan Morris or Altidore after Sunday. Try Weah and Sargent for friendlies. Try new cbs as well...

I think Morris and Altidore can have a role as subs, and Brooks will claim one of the CB roles once he recovers from injury.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Fri Jul 05, 2019 4:14 pm
  • SeatownJay wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:I like the formation, think the right cosch is in place, and am excited when the right players get their chance. No more Jordan Morris or Altidore after Sunday. Try Weah and Sargent for friendlies. Try new cbs as well...

I think Morris and Altidore can have a role as subs, and Brooks will claim one of the CB roles once he recovers from injury.

Altidore forces a change in play. Against some opposition perhaps but if they're going to press high then he can't help that.

Morris could actually play where Jozy does and give them more pace up top... his touch is, well unfortunate.

Hopefully the younger strikers have a good club season to push into the lineup by the hex
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Previous

It is currently Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:22 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information