RIP Tony Gwynn

-The Glove-

Reaction score
Damn...Tony Gwynn was one of my favorites as a kid. That smile was infectious and the way he talked always made me laugh.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Wow, VERY sad. I lived in the San Diego area from '89 to '02 so saw him play many times and saw his interaction in the community up close. Helluva ballplayer and by all accounts a GREAT guy. He will be missed.

BobcatHawk

Reaction score
Great Ballplayer and man. My first and some of my fondest sports memories as a kid were watching Tony Gwynn and Benito Santiago play for the Padres in the 80's.

Rest in peace, Tony.

m0ng0

Reaction score
The second best hitter I ever saw with my own eyes, (Rod Carew the best) always had a smile on his face, great interview, just an all around great guy, he will be missed !

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Some sports things people ought to know about Tony:

He was drafted by the Clippers of the NBA in '81 as he was a helluva hoops player at San Diego St.
He has more batting titles than anyone not named Ty Cobb (eight, Cobb had twelve).
He hit .394 in 1994 and I have always believed he would've hit .400 that year if not for the player's strike. He had gotten very hot in July and if I remember correctly, raised his average from like .375 to .394 in one month.
His first stop in the minor leagues was rookie ball in Walla Walla.
He won 5 gold gloves so could field as well as hit.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Dang, one of the all time greats, never heard a bad word spoken about the man. You are not going to find a more likeable pro athlete IMHO! RIP Tony! :(

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Saw him play from his rookie year on...Great hitter and always looked like he was having fun..RIP big guy...

McG

Reaction score
A true great and professional. One of the many reasons I grew up playing baseball with as much passion as a I did. The fact that these players and owners ruined baseball with PEDs still pisses me off every time I'm reminded by some mention of a fake, over-inflated stat from the 90's-2000's. Gwynn was not one of those reminders. He was one of the few legit players that would have been great in 1890 or 1990 or 2090. He was a true talent that had a love for the game, not because it made him rich and famous, but because it was a game made for him to master. Russell Wilson is cut from the same cloth as Gwynn and if Wilson can do in football even 75% of what Gwynn did in baseball, then Wilson is a sure-fire Hall of Famer.

RIP Tony Gwynn

Tical21

Reaction score
One of my true idols. I was a left handed hitter that loved to hit for average, hated getting out and especially striking out. His career always gave me hope that I'd make it to the majors someday. I'm also ceasing my chewing tobacco habit today. Going over his stats today, absolutely mind-blowing. The most he ever struck out was 40 times in a season. Check out this yahoo article. Absolutely amazing. We'll never see most of this stuff ever again.

https://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big- ... 43389.html