Will Steve Ballmer move the LA Clippers to Seattle?

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13

Will Steve Ballmer move the LA Clippers to Seattle?

Yes
8%
No
92%

Total votes : 73

• No
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• No, but honestly, if he did, I would laugh and laugh and laugh.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

--Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

• Aaron Hernandez has a better chances of getting out of jail than we do of the Clippers coming here.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• The deal was continent on him keeping the team in LA
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

• @byandreachang · 5m
    Sterling's lawyer repeatedly said, "There's been no sale. There's been no sale. There can be no sale without Donald's signature."

@byandreachang · 36m
    Sterling's lawyer just told me, in Sterling's driveway, "My belief is he will not sell this team."
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

• Hawkfan77 wrote:@byandreachang · 5m
    Sterling's lawyer repeatedly said, "There's been no sale. There's been no sale. There can be no sale without Donald's signature."

@byandreachang · 36m
    Sterling's lawyer just told me, in Sterling's driveway, "My belief is he will not sell this team."

Go Sterling Go! Seattle is with you ! (thanks alot Steve)
    4/27/13 - I was there #humblethug
    "He looked like a bad man," Sherman said, "and I knew we were alright."
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

• TheRealDTM wrote:
    Hawkfan77 wrote:@byandreachang · 5m

@byandreachang · 36m

Go Sterling Go! Seattle is with you ! (thanks alot Steve)

What the hell is wrong with you, we aren't with him.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Ballmer tried to get a team here..He can't move the Clips so I'm not wasting any more of my energy getting mad at something the NBA created in the first place..He must know full well that the stupid NBA doesn't want Seattle no matter what ..This will be my last post about present day NBA until there is a team here..Not that I really care but I want Hockey so it's tied into that somehow ..Screw the NBA and all the greedy (cussing) involved..No team is worth over a billion!
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• Sterling obviously isn't fighting nothing
    Attachments
    image.jpg
    image.jpg (83.68 KiB) Viewed 942 times
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Moving the Clippers to Seattle would be a stupid business move, just as moving the Sonics to okiedokeville was a stupid move!
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sports Hernia wrote:Moving the Clippers to Seattle would be a stupid business move, just as moving the Sonics to okiedokeville was a stupid move!

I keep reading this, but I don't really get it.

LA still has a team, the NBA wouldn't lose the LA market. In fact they'd gain the 13th largest media market in Seattle by moving the team. IMO doesn't it make more sense to move the Clippers to Seattle than the Kings or Bucks? Right? Or am I going about this completely wrong?
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

• Hawkfan77 wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:Moving the Clippers to Seattle would be a stupid business move, just as moving the Sonics to okiedokeville was a stupid move!

LA still has a team, the NBA wouldn't lose the LA market. In fact they'd gain the 13th largest media market in Seattle by moving the team. IMO doesn't it make more sense to move the Clippers to Seattle than the Kings or Bucks? Right? Or am I going about this completely wrong?

LA is a fair weather fan base (example 1: Lakers this year). having two teams there, like new york, helps guarantee a competitive team in the 2 most valuable markets.
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

• TheRealDTM wrote:
    Hawkfan77 wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:Moving the Clippers to Seattle would be a stupid business move, just as moving the Sonics to okiedokeville was a stupid move!

LA is a fair weather fan base (example 1: Lakers this year). having two teams there, like new york, helps guarantee a competitive team in the 2 most valuable markets.

Gotcha, thanks
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

• Throwdown wrote:Sterling obviously isn't fighting nothing

He apparently can't do anything about it, since he was found mentally incapacitated - thus enabling his wife to sell the team without his blessing.

http://deadspin.com/report-steve-ballme ... socialflow
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• As for the original question - no. You don't pay $2 billion dollars to move the team to Seattle. I'm sorry.. but the TV deal the Clips will get now, with better ownership and marketable players, dwarfs anything Ballmer could get up here. Then there is the whole Los Angeles element in itself.. teams in LA and NY don't come up for sale very often. Doesn't matter if you're talking the Clippers or Mets.. they just dont come up often.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• I can't get over two billion dollars for an NBA franchise. Jerry Jones just wet himself, his wife, and his son.
    Hey, Phil Rivers, you just got an Earl Necklace!
    duckypoo
    NET Starter

• The Browns went for a billy, same did the Dodgers, that the value of these pro sports teams with these tv contracts.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• You don't buy for $2B and move to Seattle, which some speculate cuts the value of the team in half. But the Clippers do not have the TV contract that the Lakers have ($150M/yr) nor do they have much on the current stadium deal if you believe ESPN's Darren Revelle (sp?).

I don't understand these shared stadium/arena configurations the NY and LA markets have. I guess it guarantees roughly double the dates the facilities would normally have, making it good for the local economies, but not sure how the Clippers ended up sucking hind tit on their stadium deal. Probably because Sterling wanted out of San Diego and into the LA market and was willing to sing bargain deals just to get established?
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• There is a better chance that the Lakers will be purchased and moved to Seattle (which won't happen either) because the Clips have a better future outlook than the Lakers.
    ImageImageImage

"You kept believing, you kept fighting, you kept clawing and scratching
    and look what you freakin' did. Put that freakin' trophy up again!" - Pete Carroll
    tom sawyer
    NET Veteran

• There's a few teams that will never move, ever

Clippers, Lakers, Heat, Knicks, Nets, & Bulls, and because of the market in Atlanta, I'm pretty tempted to say the Hawks will never move as well.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• I can confidently say that for the forseeable future that every team in the NBA is comfortable where they are for a long time.
    SUPER BOWL 48 CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!

:les:
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

• SonicHawk wrote:I can confidently say that for the forseeable future that every team in the NBA is comfortable where they are for a long time.

Pretty much, we just gotta sit and hope for the Bucks to not get their arena built.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Throwdown wrote:
    SonicHawk wrote:I can confidently say that for the forseeable future that every team in the NBA is comfortable where they are for a long time.

Pretty much, we just gotta sit and hope for the Bucks to not get their arena built.

Per sale stipulations the new owners have until 2017 to have an arena deal accepted, if not control of the team goes to the league.
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

• TheRealDTM wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:
    SonicHawk wrote:I can confidently say that for the forseeable future that every team in the NBA is comfortable where they are for a long time.

Per sale stipulations the new owners have until 2017 to have an arena deal accepted, if not control of the team goes to the league.

The league won't hold onto the team for long, they'll flip it to someone pretty quickly, and Hansen's name has to be at the top of the list, specially if nothing worked out in Milwaukee.

I think Hansen should team with the NHL guys, get the NHL first since the NHL wants to be here, get the dual purpose arena built, and that way we're just sitting with an arena IN USE, that has dual purpose for Milwaukee to fall through, or whenever another team is available. At this point I just want the god damn arena built, that way the NBA has no reason to do what they did to us in the Kings saga.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Hawkfan77 wrote:The deal was continent on him keeping the team in LA

I remember Clay Bennett saying he wasn't taking the team to OKC.
    Kaep vs. Seattle 1-3
    3 TD's ~ 7 INT's ~ 2 Fumbles ~ Sacked 8 times ~ QBR = 54
    ZorntoLargent
    NET Starter

• SonicHawk wrote:I can confidently say that for the forseeable future that every team in the NBA is comfortable where they are for a long time.

That could actually be a good thing. Finally some franchise stability could lead to expansion. I'm not counting on it though.
    86Hawk
    NET Rookie

• Throwdown wrote:
    TheRealDTM wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:

The league won't hold onto the team for long, they'll flip it to someone pretty quickly, and Hansen's name has to be at the top of the list, specially if nothing worked out in Milwaukee.

I think Hansen should team with the NHL guys, get the NHL first since the NHL wants to be here, get the dual purpose arena built, and that way we're just sitting with an arena IN USE, that has dual purpose for Milwaukee to fall through, or whenever another team is available. At this point I just want the god damn arena built, that way the NBA has no reason to do what they did to us in the Kings saga.

Finally you came around to "Duel Purpose Arena" ..Only way most of us will be happy..
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• It always was one, I just want it built so they can't say "you don't have an arena"
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Throwdown wrote:
    TheRealDTM wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:

I'm gonna laugh when sacramento never gets their arena built...

The NBA is so stupid, Hansen has everything ready to go but the league is bending over backwards for these small market teams with crap arena situations.
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

• Sac's arena just got the funding approved, it's gonna happen in Sacramento, good for them.

I think the one flaw in Hansen's plan to get a team, is that he doesn't have the arena built. So it really gives an even playing field to these other markets who are in danger of losing their teams. We don't want that, this is business, granted it'll be easier after the EIS, then its just a team purchase and approval away from shovels in the ground.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• It's not necessarily a bad thing. Sure the Seattle bid loses it's biggest money guy, which does suck, but like the NFL it's the owners of the NBA teams make the call on things like expansion. With Ballmer now owning the Clips, it's another PNW guy at the table (along with Uncle Paul Allen) who might sway favor to move a team back up this way.

:3-1:
    Radish, check your PMs. Man upstairs has an invite for a tail gate up in heaven with your name on it.
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

• 86Hawk wrote:

That could actually be a good thing. Finally some franchise stability could lead to expansion. I'm not counting on it though.

Stern's big arena-gouge weapon against the fans was threatening to move the team, so once the ugly evil gangster midget was out of the picture, there could only be more stability.
    WILL PHILIP RIVERS TEST RICHARD SHERMAN'S SIDE OF THE FIELD?
    http://cover32.com/seahawks/2014/09/10/ ... the-field/
    Follow me on Twitter: @George_OGorman
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

• The whole deal with the Bucks sale was that Herb Kohl was intent on ensuring that the Bucks remained in Milwaukee no matter what, and that the main condition of the sale was that the new owners either have a new arena built in Milwaukee or renovate the Bradley Center. Herb Kohl was always a popular owner among Bucks fans, but doing that ensured that he'd be remembered and respected for a long time.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

• Billionaires don't stay billionaires for long if they make stupid decisions.

LA is a bigger if not the biggest market for basketball and, the Lakers are going to most likely suck for the next few years.

Though I do think he over paid.

Are still leases and contractual obligations that keep the Clippers in LA. i.e. penalties for leaving..
    Uffda
    NET Veteran

• He would have to do it for no other reason than to bring a team back to Seattle. As others have mentioned, they would go from a huge market to a small-medium one. He would lose his arse.
    __________________________________________________________________________________
    Save a place at the table for us "Big Willie"
    halfrack
    NET Rookie

• Could of had an NBA, NFL and NHL team for that price..... :snack:
    Cassius Marsh is my 2014 Adopt a Pro Bowl Rookie
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

• And according to the racist goon -nobody is buying anything-He's suing big time to prevent any sale..2 billion doesn't mean much to him I guess..
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:46 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information