Steve Ballmer possibly buying the Clippers

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
  • Tech Worlds wrote:Let's put it this way.... Ballmer is part of the group trying to get a team in Seattle. If HE is running off to purchase a team in another city it basically means nothing is coming our way for the foreseeable future and he frankly didn't feel up to waiting around for something that isn't coming anytime soon.

That's why this is the death blow.

There is no team coming here anytime in the next few years or it would be reasonable to figure Ballmer would have waited.

This.......we just lost our biggest chip.......game, set, match..............
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Man..................this SUCKS! NBA wins, Seattle loses.......again.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• I don't think seattle lost anything. Hansen was the majority investor, Ballmer was minority and just a name.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Throwdown wrote:I don't think seattle lost anything. Hansen was the majority investor, Ballmer was minority and just a name.

I don't think losing the potentially/now actual richest owner in the NBA is nothing....

We've lost the richest owner in the league........
    4/27/13 - I was there #humblethug
    "He looked like a bad man," Sherman said, "and I knew we were alright."
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

• Oh dear goddd, OH LORDD

Vivek Ranadive isn't even the richest guy in his field of work and owns the Kings, that means nothing.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Throwdown wrote:Oh dear goddd, OH LORDD

Vivek Ranadive isn't even the richest guy in his field of work and owns the Kings, that means nothing.

Ok, what if: An expansion team is made available in 5 years and we are out bid.

It obviously hurts our chances, the guy apparently doesn't need to be vetted (aka pre-approved). I'm sorry man I know its a bummer but it is what it is. Not the end of the world but a big speed bump on an already rough road.
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

• Throwdown wrote:I don't think seattle lost anything. Hansen was the majority investor, Ballmer was minority and just a name.

This is exactly what I've been saying.

It was Hansen that bought the land. It was Hansen who INVITED Ballmer to be apart of HIS group as a minority investor. It is Hansen is was putting up the money for the arena.

It doesn't matter how much Ballmer is worth, he was always a minority investor, his >50% ownership of the group has no correlation to his wealth.
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

• TheRealDTM wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:Oh dear goddd, OH LORDD

It obviously hurts our chances, the guy apparently doesn't need to be vetted (aka pre-approved). I'm sorry man I know its a bummer but it is what it is. Not the end of the world but a big speed bump on an already rough road.

You're assuming too much.

First you assume Hansen and the Nordstroms don't have the means to get into a bidding war by themselves. Second you are assuming that Hansen stands pat and brings no one else into their group.

Ballmer, by himself, just outbid a group worth WAAAYYYY more than he is. More money doesn't always mean higher bids.
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

• Hawkfan77 wrote:
    TheRealDTM wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:Oh dear goddd, OH LORDD

You're assuming too much.

First you assume Hansen and the Nordstroms don't have the means to get into a bidding war by themselves. Second you are assuming that Hansen stands pat and brings no one else into their group.

Ballmer, by himself, just outbid a group worth WAAAYYYY more than he is. More money doesn't always mean higher bids.

I don't think it destroys our chances, but to play devils advocate I wouldn't assume we can find someone else whose willing to outbid someone like Ellison. Ballmer obviously had a huge passion for basketball, even if you want to reduce his contribution to name alone like you said above, that's still a loss of influence.
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

• I'm sorry, but I just cannot see how losing Ballmer is anything, but bad news for us. Yes, we may have people that can fill his hole in the group, but name recognition alone, was a huge part of having him in the group. Plus, potentially having the richest owner in the NBA as part of your group was a plus as well. Heck, I would not be surprised to see the Seattle city council wanting to talk to Chris about this event thus causing us even more problems. I mean Hansen has got to be getting tired of this already.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• TheRealDTM wrote:I don't think it destroys our chances, but to play devils advocate I wouldn't assume we can find someone else whose willing to outbid someone like Ellison. Ballmer obviously had a huge passion for basketball, even if you want to reduce his contribution to name alone like you said above that's still a lose of influence.

I'm not trying to minimize Ballmer's contributions, I'm trying to maximize Hansen's. Some are assuming this group was Ballmer and a couple other guys (not saying you are). This was always Hansen's baby, he brought Ballmer along because he knew Ballmer would be a huge part of the ownership group, but Ballmer was never more important than Hansen.

To your other point, Hansen won't ever have to worry about getting into a bidding war with Ellison. LA will not be getting another team. Look at the last 2 times teams became available other than LA, the Kings and the Bucks. Hansen outbid everyone for both teams. Heck didn't they offer 600 million for the Bucks and the Bucks sold for much less? People like Ellison and Oprah have no desire to own an NBA team outside of LA, or else they would have put bids into the two teams that came up for sale in the past year for MUCH less.

I guess time will tell if Hansen and Nordstrom stay just them and if so they'd be willing to put up 600 million for another. But I don't see the type of bidding war you are talking about because there hasn't been one.
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

• Blitzer88 wrote:I'm sorry, but I just cannot see how losing Ballmer is anything, but bad news for us. Yes, we may have people that can fill his hole in the group, but name recognition alone, was a huge part of having him in the group. Plus, potentially having the richest owner in the NBA as part of your group was a plus as well. Heck, I would not be surprised to see the Seattle city council wanting to talk to Chris about this event thus causing us even more problems. I mean Hansen has got to be getting tired of this already.

Up until now, what has Ballmer done in the NBA? He's lost out on 3 teams...what kind of NBA name recognition is that? There is no "loyalty" in the NBA. The NBA isn't in the business of "helping out" Seattle will either get a team because it makes sense for the league, or they won't. Nothing to do with Ballmer.
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

• Hawkfan77 wrote:
    Blitzer88 wrote:I'm sorry, but I just cannot see how losing Ballmer is anything, but bad news for us. Yes, we may have people that can fill his hole in the group, but name recognition alone, was a huge part of having him in the group. Plus, potentially having the richest owner in the NBA as part of your group was a plus as well. Heck, I would not be surprised to see the Seattle city council wanting to talk to Chris about this event thus causing us even more problems. I mean Hansen has got to be getting tired of this already.

Up until now, what has Ballmer done in the NBA? He's lost out on 3 teams...what kind of NBA name recognition is that? There is no "loyalty" in the NBA. The NBA isn't in the business of "helping out" Seattle will either get a team because it makes sense for the league, or they won't. Nothing to do with Ballmer.

A lot of people thought he would become the frontman for Seattle after the whole Anti-Sacramento Arena debacle that got blamed on Hansen. He's vetted and is very very likely going to be selected to own one of the apparently most valuable franchises in the NBA. The league wanted him as an owner, thats more than I think is true of Hansen.
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

• There is no team coming. Otherwise Balmer would have bought that one instead.

No team is coming
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• Throwdown wrote:
    Tech Worlds wrote:Bad news for supersonic fans

It's the death blow

The death blow was not getting the Kings.

I think our dream is over. No NBA, No NHL, and quite frankly no MLB. Thank God for the Seahawks.
    "12's, they're bringing the trophy home." - Steve Raible
    seahawksfan28
    NET Veteran

• Tech Worlds wrote:There is no team coming. Otherwise Balmer would have bought that one instead.

No team is coming

I agree but I don't. It appears Ballmer really doesn't care about where he owns a teams, as he said in a forbes article. If you don't care about location there is nothing better than owning a basketball team in LA, and a playoff team to boot. If you get an expansion team in Seattle the 57 year old Ballmer could be 80 by the time they have 2 players as good as Paul and Griffen or...(i hate my life) Westbrook and Durant.

TLDR: He could have been told expansion would take more than a few years, and realized the clippers are good now and in LA
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

• seahawksfan28 wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:

It's the death blow

I think our dream is over. No NBA, No NHL, and quite frankly no MLB. Thank God for the Seahawks.

It could be far worse. You might have to deal with the Chiefs and Royals.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

• MizzouHawkGal wrote:
    seahawksfan28 wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:

It's the death blow

It could be far worse. You might have to deal with the Chiefs and Royals.

Touche.
    "12's, they're bringing the trophy home." - Steve Raible
    seahawksfan28
    NET Veteran

• I'm sure the royals didn't try and stop the sprint center from being built, I could cheer for the royals, they care about their city.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Throwdown wrote:I'm sure the royals didn't try and stop the sprint center from being built, I could cheer for the royals, they care about their city.

Yeah right. They weren't interested in the Sprint Center because it's a downtown stadium built for Basketball and Hockey, how'd that work out? Kaufman and Arrowhead are in Independence which is east and 20-30 minutes away from downtown on game days just by car let alone public transit.

Want to guess where hockey is? Independence at the Independence Center. They're actually decent by the way. Soccer is in KCK because Kansas has lower taxes but they pay for crap so it's awesome for business's. Border War isn't a joke here. Given most of Kanas's population lives right here within an hour or so drive to the border.
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

• MizzouHawkGal wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:I'm sure the royals didn't try and stop the sprint center from being built, I could cheer for the royals, they care about their city.

Yeah right. They weren't interested in the Sprint Center because it's a downtown stadium built for Basketball and Hockey, how'd that work out? Kaufman and Arrowhead are in Independence which is east and 20-30 minutes away from downtown on game days just by car let alone public transit.

Want to guess where hockey is? Independence at the Independence Center. They're actually decent by the way. Soccer is in KCK because Kansas has lower taxes but they pay for crap so it's awesome for business's.

You don't believe that crap the m's said do you? The whole we're worried about traffic crap? They did want competition, I'm sure if they had it there way there would be no seahawks in Seattle either. The mariners are slimey, everything about em is, their stadium got shoved down our throats, and they put out this crap product year after year, with nothing good going to the general public. The mariners are a parasite.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Throwdown wrote:
    MizzouHawkGal wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:I'm sure the royals didn't try and stop the sprint center from being built, I could cheer for the royals, they care about their city.

Want to guess where hockey is? Independence at the Independence Center. They're actually decent by the way. Soccer is in KCK because Kansas has lower taxes but they pay for crap so it's awesome for business's.

You don't believe that crap the m's said do you? The whole we're worried about traffic crap? They did want competition, I'm sure if they had it there way there would be no seahawks in Seattle either. The mariners are slimey, everything about em is, their stadium got shoved down our throats, and they put out this crap product year after year, with nothing good going to the general public. The mariners are a parasite.

Not really because Armstrong and Lincoln are the devil. But I was bored. I blame Sac because he's with the wrong white woman.
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

• Tech Worlds wrote:There is no team coming. Otherwise Balmer would have bought that one instead.

No team is coming

Thanks for the inside info... :roll:
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

• Seattle is worth more to the NBA as leverage. Just like LA is for the NFL.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• This is just bizarre, he spent 2 Billion for a TEAM, no building, no land, no property, no nothing! IF he wanted ball in Seattle he could have bought the Bucks or Kings for 600 mill, sold the arena or blew them up and sold the land, and dropped the rest on a state of the art arena in Seattle and been the king of Seattle, it begs the question of why? Is it just the sun and palm trees of SoCal or is it something else?

**edit** Or maybe he did not want to be the devil in places like Milwaukee or Sac town?
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• Scottemojo wrote:Seattle is worth more to the NBA as leverage. Just like LA is for the NFL.

Just like Tampa Bay was for the MLB, only the MLB eventually rewarded that city.

Sucks to be us
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

• m0ng0 wrote:This is just bizarre, he spent 2 Billion for a TEAM, no building, no land, no property, no nothing! IF he wanted ball in Seattle he could have bought the Bucks or Kings for 600 mill, sold the arena or blew them up and sold the land, and dropped the rest on a state of the art arena in Seattle and been the king of Seattle, it begs the question of why? Is it just the sun and palm trees of SoCal or is it something else?

**edit** Or maybe he did not want to be the devil in places like Milwaukee or Sac town?

He tried to buy both the Kings and Bucks. It didn't work
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

• Hawkfan77 wrote:
    Blitzer88 wrote:I'm sorry, but I just cannot see how losing Ballmer is anything, but bad news for us. Yes, we may have people that can fill his hole in the group, but name recognition alone, was a huge part of having him in the group. Plus, potentially having the richest owner in the NBA as part of your group was a plus as well. Heck, I would not be surprised to see the Seattle city council wanting to talk to Chris about this event thus causing us even more problems. I mean Hansen has got to be getting tired of this already.

What 3 teams did he lose out on? The kings and who else?
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

• why is it so hard for you guys to get a team (both NBA and NHL)? I mean, isn't Seattle a top 10 city?

It's funny to me that cities like Minneapolis have all 3 major franchises, but you guys only have 1.

If I were to rank the order of importance to get an NBA team, I'd put St. Louis as (1) and Seattle as (2).

I feel like you guys should be next in line for an NHL team, but I can't think of a current franchise trying to move, and I don't think the NHL is looking for an expansion team at the moment
    Front7vLOB
    NET Practice Squad

• CPHawk wrote:
    Hawkfan77 wrote:

What 3 teams did he lose out on? The kings and who else?

Milwaukee and Minnesota I believe

the Kings to Seattle were the best bet. Milwaukee is a pretty big basketball town and for some reason Minneapolis is in the front when it comes to stadiums (Target Field, Xcel Energy Center, new Vikings stadium in 2018)... They will probably get a new stadium for the Wolves soon.

Edit: I didn't realize Minneapolis was such a business hub. I was confused about how they could afford all these teams, but apparently they have more Fortune 500 companies per capita than any city in the world according to Wikipedia

NorCal already has a team in the Warriors, why does Sacramento need one?
    Front7vLOB
    NET Practice Squad

• He might as well have said nothing.
    I enjoy ruining threads by making them about personal attacks and then commenting about how personal attacks make the other person's argument invalid.

:les:
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

• SonicHawk wrote:He might as well have said nothing.

Why?

Yeah, no way he should reassure the fans he is still vying for a team...what a dumb thing for him to do
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

• Front7vLOB wrote:why is it so hard for you guys to get a team (both NBA and NHL)? I mean, isn't Seattle a top 10 city?

It's funny to me that cities like Minneapolis have all 3 major franchises, but you guys only have 1.

If I were to rank the order of importance to get an NBA team, I'd put St. Louis as (1) and Seattle as (2).

I feel like you guys should be next in line for an NHL team, but I can't think of a current franchise trying to move, and I don't think the NHL is looking for an expansion team at the moment

LOL WUT

We have an NFL and MLB team. We are only missing the NBA. NHL is a distant 4th.
    Super Bowl Champions

Conference Champions
    2005, 2013

Division Champions
    1988, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2013

"Hell no! I wanna go get my rang!"
    Seahawks1983
    NET Starter

• Front7vLOB wrote:why is it so hard for you guys to get a team (both NBA and NHL)? I mean, isn't Seattle a top 10 city?

No arena
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• SonicHawk wrote:He might as well have said nothing.

Pretty much, that was like the most useless 7 seconds of my life.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Throwdown wrote:
    SonicHawk wrote:He might as well have said nothing.

Pretty much, that was like the most useless 7 seconds of my life.

That's what she said.
    Football Outsiders wrote:The Seahawks have a third-and-long defensive DVOA of -102.1%. Seriously, when Seattle knows you have to pass, you are completely terribly, violently screwed.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

another this, is St. Louis vying for a team? they have the Scottrade Center, but I've never seen 'em mentioned when it comes to the NBA and potential cities, its always Seatte, Las Vegas, Kansas City, Anaheim, and Louisville.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Seahawks1983 wrote:
    Front7vLOB wrote:why is it so hard for you guys to get a team (both NBA and NHL)? I mean, isn't Seattle a top 10 city?

LOL WUT

lol forgot Mariners for a sec. They have a nice ball park. Been to a game there a couple years ago.

Either way, Seattle only has 2/4 major sports.

NHL might not be popular in the PNW, but it is certainly big in other parts of the country
    Front7vLOB
    NET Practice Squad

• Throwdown wrote:
    Front7vLOB wrote:why is it so hard for you guys to get a team (both NBA and NHL)? I mean, isn't Seattle a top 10 city?

another this, is St. Louis vying for a team? they have the Scottrade Center, but I've never seen 'em mentioned when it comes to the NBA and potential cities, its always Seatte, Las Vegas, Kansas City, Anaheim, and Louisville.

Kansas City and St. Louis are pretty much the same thing I guess.
    Front7vLOB
    NET Practice Squad

• Throwdown wrote:

No arena

I think you guys could find space for an area. If not in Seattle, in one of the surrounding suburbs. Unless they are worried about traffic being an issue
    Front7vLOB
    NET Practice Squad

• Front7vLOB wrote:
    Seahawks1983 wrote:

LOL WUT

lol forgot Mariners for a sec. They have a nice ball park. Been to a game there a couple years ago.

Either way, Seattle only has 2/4 major sports.

NHL might not be popular in the PNW, but it is certainly big in other parts of the country

NHL would hit it off huge here in Seattle, much like the MLS did, except the NHL is a lot bigger than the MLS and it'd be ridiculous. I mean I'm not a hockey guy in the least bit, I'm an NBA guy, but everyone knows that Seattle wants the NHL, and the NHL is trying to get into Seattle. There's a group of investors for the NHL, that (I've heard) are teaming with Chris Hansen (the arena investor and NBA guy).
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Front7vLOB wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:

No arena

I think you guys could find space for an area. If not in Seattle, in one of the surrounding suburbs. Unless they are worried about traffic being an issue

Space isn't really an issue. The land has already been purchased. Just need these got damn politicians to back off
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• Ballmer is overpaying for the Clippers. That franchise isn't worth 3 as much as the Bucks or Kings. They aren't that much better than either of those teams. Yes, they are experiencing recent success on the court. The only thing they have is a huge market. However, teams aren't valued for wins/losses.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• hawkfan68 wrote:Ballmer is overpaying for the Clippers. That franchise isn't worth 3 as much as the Bucks or Kings. They aren't that much better than either of those teams. Yes, they are experiencing recent success on the court. The only thing they have is a huge market. However, teams aren't valued for wins/losses.

Well... the team wasn't worth that much 5 years ago, and probably wasn't worth that much 2 years ago... but with the Hansen group looking to buy Sacramento for 3/4 billion (and move it to Seattle to build a half billion dollar stadium), and the value of the upcoming tv contract, the enormous market that is LA and SoCal, a beautiful new arena, and the fact that the NBA is expanding and growing at a pace it hadn't seen in quite a while... $2B might not be a great deal for LA, it's not a bad deal.

Their actual value is probably closer to ~$1.5B, but in 10 years it will easily be past $2B.
    I enjoy ruining threads by making them about personal attacks and then commenting about how personal attacks make the other person's argument invalid.

SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

• NBA franchise values have risen considerably in the past 10 years.

Can you believe that the Sonics were sold $350M? OKC's value in the middle of nowhere is at least double that now. Would probably be close to $900M - $1B in Seattle.

SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

• Hawkfan77 wrote:http://www.sonicsarena.com/news/a-message-to-seattle-fans

Chris Hansen speaks

This did nothing for me...........just a generic statement...........
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Previous

It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 8:52 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information