Steve Ballmer possibly buying the Clippers

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
  • On TMZ, they are reporting that Shelly Sterling is meeting with Steve Ballmer to sell the team. Since Donald handed the team over to her, it looks like she just wants to get rid of them on her terms. I know it will probably be a challenge to move them, but anyone with a brain knows that Ballmer wants them back in Seattle. This is exciting!
    tifferradish
    NET Rookie

• tifferradish wrote:On TMZ, they are reporting that Shelly Sterling is meeting with Steve Ballmer to sell the team. Since Donald handed the team over to her, it looks like she just wants to get rid of them on her terms. I know it will probably be a challenge to move them, but anyone with a brain knows that Ballmer wants them back in Seattle. This is exciting!

Once bitten twice shy, when it's approved and the transaction is finalized it becomes exciting, until then I look at it as the Kings a simple leverage game to drive the price up.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
    .Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    NET Veteran

• There is absolutely no way the Clippers would move to Seattle.
    SUPER BOWL 48 CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!

RIP ROAD WOES 12/2/2012
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

• This would be the worst case scenario for Seattle. If Ballmer buys the Clips, Hansen then loses his big fish for his group and there is no way the Clips are moving from LA. This would be terrible news for us.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• I don't see them moving as a problem, Lakers would love to be only game in town again, we have an established market and they would have their own arena.

.Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    NET Veteran

• I'm resigned to the fact that we aren't getting a team here for a long long time if ever, if we lose Ballmer
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Bad news for supersonic fans
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• Tech Worlds wrote:Bad news for supersonic fans

It's the death blow
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• LOL, this is just step one.

Step two is telling LA to build him a two billion dollar arena in Malibu or he walks.

Step three: Profit.
    "He's a *****. It's not that he was a *****, he is a *****, and that's why he hasn't won anything."
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

• Posted on May 25, 2014 at 4:57 PM
    Updated today at 10:40 PM

SEATTLE - Local Politicians, Port Leaders, and Sports Fans are among those watching the ongoing negotiations surrounding the Los Angeles Clippers and specifically, the actions of arguably Seattle's #1 basketball fan.

On Sunday, TMZ reported former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer met with Clippers co-owner Shelly Sterling at her Malibu mansion, to discuss the sale of the franchise. Sterling's lawyer was also present for the meeting, according to the report. Donald Sterling recently surrendered control of the team to his wife, and the NBA has been pushing for a sale since Sterling's racially charged, recorded comments were released.

The news of the meeting sent tongues wagging, again, in Seattle. Ballmer was part of the unsuccessful effort to buy the Sacramento Kings franchise, and is part of the group which is financing a new arena complex.

He told the Wall Street Journal on May 15th, that "If I get interested in the Clippers, it would be for Los Angeles. I don’t work anymore, so I have more geographic flexibility than I did a year, year-and-a half ago. Moving them anywhere else would be value destructive."

Ballmer is still considered a long shot for the Clippers franchise, which is expected to receive multiple bidders in a true open market. He is a minority investor in the land acquisition, for the proposed Seattle Arena, south of Safeco Field, and was believed to have agreed to a minority share of the Kings purchase. The majority of the financial burden was assumed by Chris Hansen.

Hansen has remained silent on Ballmer's recent business transactions.
    NBA owners are expected to rule June 3rd on the future of the Clippers, and according to one sports law expert, that may be prompting Shelly Sterling to aggressively market the franchise this week.

"This is the last week for the Sterlings to legally own the Clippers," says Michael McCann, who is the Director of the Sports and Entertainment Law Institute at the University of New Hampshire. "Maybe this is the last attempt to see if they can avoid litigation."

McCann says the NBA, and Commissioner Adam Silver, will likely have a strong say over who controls the team. "Shelly is a non controlling owner. She doesn't have the legal capacity to sell the team," he says, adding that there is a possibility the Sterlings are going through all the motions to "strengthen their legal case" against the NBA.

McCann adds that there is still an incentive for the Sterlings to fight, and avoid the costly tax bill that would come with a sale. "If the Sterlings sell the team now, they are going to have to pay capital gains taxes."
    The Seattle Arena project is currently undergoing an environmental review, and is scheduled to be completed now by the end of summer.

http://www.king5.com/sports/Clippers-ow ... fb=y&can=n
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• So most of that was Hansen's money in the whole Kings fiasco?!

How much is Chris worth then? I know he's a billionaire, but we're talking about all the land he's bought, the commitment of what 200 million towards the arena and however much the offer was for the Kings.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• A report Sunday that Steve Ballmer was in Los Angeles for a meeting to discuss buying the Clippers is a big deal for Seattle basketball fans.

No, not because Ballmer is going to move the Clippers to Seattle. Ballmer himself has already stated, as would most semi-competent businessmen, that he’d keep the Clippers in the City of Angels.

It’s highly unlikely Ballmer would risk harming the value of a moneymaking Clippers franchise so recklessly by moving them here, given the $1 billion price tag he’d likely pay to get the team. Nor much chance the NBA would allow Ballmer to pull a Clay Bennett out of the nation’s second-biggest market.

Still, this is a big deal for Seattle, if only in what it means for Chris Hansen and his efforts to build a Sodo arena and revive the NBA here. Up until now, those efforts have been with Ballmer and his billions at Hansen’s side.

If Ballmer heads for Los Angeles as a Clippers owner, it effectively ends any NBA role he’d play here and deals a serious blow to Hansen’s plan.

“It would knock the lights out of it,’’ a veteran Seattle politico said Sunday. “There are deep pockets and there are small pockets. It doesn’t take much work to figure out who has the deep pockets and who has the small ones in that partnership.’’

Now, it isn’t automatically a death blow. After all, Hansen first launched his Sodo project well before Ballmer climbed aboard. But there’s a reason Hansen took Ballmer on as his biggest partner in the first place: money talks in pro sports.

And it’s fair to wonder whether Hansen has enough of his own money to go at it without Ballmer. Or whether he’ll again be out working the wealthy side of the street for help.

Hansen could not immediately be reached for comment through his spokesman, Rollin Fatland.

http://seattletimes.com/html/nba/202369 ... 26xml.html
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• While it won't happen, it would be pretty amusing if Ballmer pulled a Clay Bennett.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• Seriously, Ballmer talks to the NBA bigwigs. I'm sure they have told him Seattle won't be getting a team in the next few years, so he's given up and is trying to buy the Clips instead.

And since I can't get a stupid hockey-only arena from someone, I am screwed by association. I hope the NBA dies.
    "He's a *****. It's not that he was a *****, he is a *****, and that's why he hasn't won anything."
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

• Smelly McUgly wrote:Seriously, Ballmer talks to the NBA bigwigs. I'm sure they have told him Seattle won't be getting a team in the next few years, so he's given up and is trying to buy the Clips instead.

And since I can't get a stupid hockey-only arena from someone, I am screwed by association. I hope the NBA dies.

haha, yup. This is where I'm at. Screw them and the horse they rode out on. Glad we played nice for those good will points that just don't matter.

I hope the prospective NHL ownership group say screw it and build their own damn stadium without the funds.
    ----------------------------
    "Plus I hate the seattle stadium the **** place is too loud, gave me a headache watchin the game." ~ Some 9er fan
    JOz56
    NET Veteran

• It's over :(

Ain't no one building an arena on speculation in Seattle, let's be real Seattle politicians would rather opera houses than arenas. Until it's a full house clean in Seattle neither the NBA/NHL will come.

At least we get half the year of enjoyment with the Hawks right?
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Throwdown wrote:It's over :(

Ain't no one building an arena on speculation in Seattle, let's be real Seattle politicians would rather opera houses than arenas. Until it's a full house clean in Seattle neither the NBA/NHL will come.

Pretty much.

The city just astounds me sometimes.
    ----------------------------
    "Plus I hate the seattle stadium the **** place is too loud, gave me a headache watchin the game." ~ Some 9er fan
    JOz56
    NET Veteran

• It was a great effort from Hansen, and he'll always be that dude to me. But we don't even hear from him no more, and now we see this all star group fracturing with Ballmer's interest in the Clippers and keeping them in LA. It was great while it lasted... I guess, but oh well, ain't much to do now but sulk and realize it's still seattle, no matter how great the Seahawks are and how great it was to see the blue and green confetti falling as the player hoisted the Lombardi, it's still seattle and nothing good happens in sports, unless there's a 35 year gap between.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Throwdown wrote:It's over :(

It's true, the politicians in this city suck, as most do.
    42-13, 29-3, and 23-17 and a Lombardi trophy from THIS millennium.....deal with it niner trolls

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• Throwdown wrote:It was a great effort from Hansen, and he'll always be that dude to me. But we don't even hear from him no more, and now we see this all star group fracturing with Ballmer's interest in the Clippers and keeping them in LA. It was great while it lasted... I guess, but oh well, ain't much to do now but sulk and realize it's still seattle, no matter how great the Seahawks are and how great it was to see the blue and green confetti falling as the player hoisted the Lombardi, it's still seattle and nothing good happens in sports, unless there's a 35 year gap between.

#%€& the NBA and it's Stern clone Silver!
    42-13, 29-3, and 23-17 and a Lombardi trophy from THIS millennium.....deal with it niner trolls

Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• Still have yet to see any proof as to how he's anything like Stern 4-5 months on the job other than the baby ass whining about no promise of a team, but if that's how ya feel :)
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Good for him if he is able to get them. He just wants to be involved with the nba and it isn't happening here. He mentions he is retired and had no regional bias so let him in. Maybe he is part of the owners sympathetic to Seattle in the future?
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• Throwdown wrote:
    Tech Worlds wrote:Bad news for supersonic fans

It's the death blow

How?

Did Hansen say he was done or something? Did Hansen sell his land? Did the MOU expire?
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

• Hawkfan77 wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:

It's the death blow

How?

Did Hansen say he was done or something? Did Hansen sell his land? Did the MOU expire?

Because Hansen needs Ballmer.

RIP ROAD WOES 12/2/2012
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

• SonicHawk wrote:
    Hawkfan77 wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:

It's the death blow

How?

Because Hansen needs Ballmer.

Ummm....no he doesn't
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

• I don't think he does need him, as it turned out that the money man wasn't Ballmer, it was Hansen.

It's just a big name that we lost, that the NBA is very familiar with.

I overreacted, no shame in admitting it. I still don't see the nba coming back anytime soon.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Hawkfan77 wrote:Ummm....no he doesn't

Umm... yes he does, or he needs someone of similar or somewhere near the pocket size.

Big money talks in big sports. Hansen is not big money.

RIP ROAD WOES 12/2/2012
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

• Let's put it this way.... Ballmer is part of the group trying to get a team in Seattle. If HE is running off to purchase a team in another city it basically means nothing is coming our way for the foreseeable future and he frankly didn't feel up to waiting around for something that isn't coming anytime soon.

That's why this is the death blow.

There is no team coming here anytime in the next few years or it would be reasonable to figure Ballmer would have waited.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• We got 3 years left on the MOU, I just don't see anything in the pipeline anymore unless the Bucks re-enter it. Which is possible, but they have til 2017 for that I believe, that's when the MOU ends.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Balmer is just part of the group, there are several involved, he has allowed his name to come out, most are not known. It's hardly a deathblow.

chris98251
    NET Veteran

• Tech Worlds wrote:Let's put it this way.... Ballmer is part of the group trying to get a team in Seattle. If HE is running off to purchase a team in another city it basically means nothing is coming our way for the foreseeable future and he frankly didn't feel up to waiting around for something that isn't coming anytime soon.

There is no team coming here anytime in the next few years or it would be reasonable to figure Ballmer would have waited.

Probably the bigger point than what I suggested.

RIP ROAD WOES 12/2/2012
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

• Opportunities for Seattle to get a team have been slim for a while. When Hansen attempted a legit and truthful purchase of the Kings and to move them to Seattle was their best chance. I don't see an opportunity like that coming in the near future even with so many teams balancing on an edge if a knife.

Balmer going off to buy the Clippers is a great move for him and an indifference to Seattle's opportunity. He was just a money name which can be replaced. Obviously the key to Seattle getting a team is Hansen's continued efforts and his ability to win over the politicians in Seattle and winning favor with the NBA (which is doubtful).
    "Go for Broke" - 442nd Japanese-American Battalion

Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

"YOU POST...TO WIN...thethread." JesterHawk
    sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• SonicHawk wrote:
    Hawkfan77 wrote:Ummm....no he doesn't

Umm... yes he does, or he needs someone of similar or somewhere near the pocket size.

::couch:: the sacremento kings ::cough:: ::cough::

Vivek Ranadive is worth $700 million and he was able to purchase to the Kings...so that blows your theory out of the water. The owners valued that $700 more than Ballmers billions.

Us getting a team has little to do with Ballmer's net worth
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

• Hawkfan77 wrote:
    SonicHawk wrote:
    Hawkfan77 wrote:Ummm....no he doesn't

::couch:: the sacremento kings ::cough:: ::cough::

Vivek Ranadive is worth $700 million and he was able to purchase to the Kings...so that blows your theory out of the water. The owners valued that $700 more than Ballmers billions.

Us getting a team has little to do with Ballmer's net worth

You're forgetting that Ranadive was just the richest of several buyers. No one's saying Hansen wasn't contributing financially, just that Balmer was the major contributor.
    Spounge84
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• Tech Worlds wrote:Let's put it this way.... Ballmer is part of the group trying to get a team in Seattle. If HE is running off to purchase a team in another city it basically means nothing is coming our way for the foreseeable future and he frankly didn't feel up to waiting around for something that isn't coming anytime soon.

Eh I don't really buy that. No one thought the Clippers would be available for sale in the Summer of 2014. The opportunity to own a team in Los Angeles does not come around very often.. you notice Ballmer jumped at this opportunity and not others. If all he wanted was to own a team, then he would have been in on the Bucks deal too..

I don't think this changes Seattle getting a team one way or the other. I also don't think Ballmer's group will ultimately buy the team either because of his ties to Seattle and because the league is wary of having another Clay Bennett thing unfold.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• Hasselbeck wrote:
    Tech Worlds wrote:Let's put it this way.... Ballmer is part of the group trying to get a team in Seattle. If HE is running off to purchase a team in another city it basically means nothing is coming our way for the foreseeable future and he frankly didn't feel up to waiting around for something that isn't coming anytime soon.

Eh I don't really buy that. No one thought the Clippers would be available for sale in the Summer of 2014. The opportunity to own a team in Los Angeles does not come around very often.. you notice Ballmer jumped at this opportunity and not others. If all he wanted was to own a team, then he would have been in on the Bucks deal too..

I don't think this changes Seattle getting a team one way or the other. I also don't think Ballmer's group will ultimately buy the team either because of his ties to Seattle and because the league is wary of having another Clay Bennett thing unfold.

You're nuts if you think Ballmer would have any thought of moving the Clippers to Seattle. NBA isn't worried about it either. There are no reservations for the NBA having Ballmer own the Clippers.

You think the Clippers are a $2B team in Seattle? No, they aren't.

RIP ROAD WOES 12/2/2012
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

• Throwdown wrote:Still have yet to see any proof as to how he's anything like Stern 4-5 months on the job other than the baby ass whining about no promise of a team, but if that's how ya feel :)

Haven't seen any proof he is different from little Napoleon. I know you are a fan so even if there was proof I'm sure it would be ignored. 8)

Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• No it wouldn't, I'm not a 9er fan sheesh
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• And you had to know at some point Sterling would change his mind and fight.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

• CPHawk wrote:And you had to know at some point Sterling would change his mind and fight.

I HOPE HOPE HOPE this goes to a protracted court battle, the NBA has to open its books, we get all sorts of juicy, shady dealings info out of it, the owners books show that they were lying about profit loss and the NBAPA tries to blow up the current CBA, and then Sterling loses his team anyway.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE let this happen.
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

• I too want this to get messy. Just because my hatred for the NBA grows daily.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• Please do get in a court battle. My contempt for the NBA knows no limit.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

• Spounge84 wrote:

You're forgetting that Ranadive was just the richest of several buyers. No one's saying Hansen wasn't contributing financially, just that Balmer was the major contributor.

Hansen was always and will continue to be the majority owner. He didn't get this all together, buy the land and do everything (including recruit Ballmer) to be just part of an ownership. It was Ballmer who was going to be part of Hansen's ownership group, not the other way around.
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

• preception for us was that Hansen was the front man for it all.

I know no one is going to like this comparison but it was like the OKC ownership, Bennett wasn't the money guy, it was McLendon.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• I can't find the exact tweet, but the NBA didn't approve Shelly Sterling to negotiate anything. Sounds like it may all be for not for now, until the vote out on the 3rd.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Done.

Los Angeles Times ‏@latimes 4m
    Former Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer to buy the Clippers for $2 billion
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

• Welp
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Sweet, get to die someday with out an NBA team. Will never step foot in anotber NBA Arena. Word has it that this deal is contingent upon them not moving to Seattle or any other city.

Interesting how the NBA won't allow anybody to by a team and move it here but help to orchestrate our team being ripped from our hands. I'm absolutely disgusted by this entire situation. Its like hey Seattle screw
    you but don't expect us to screw somebody else for you. Something tells me that if this was 5 years ago they would not have a problem at all moving them to Seattle . What a f****** joke!!!!!!!!
    BlueBlood
    NET Starter

Next

It is currently Tue Jul 29, 2014 5:11 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information