Question about the OKC and the Sonics history...

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
  • preface:
    Okay, so I'm cheering for the Spurs to smoke the OKC in the WCF!!!

So I was looking up the team, I see they "obtained the 1979 championship" through the purchase back in 2007.

WTF?

OUR SONICS won the 1979 Championship, NOT the OKC, so you can hang the banner in your stadium. But it don't mean sh*t, it was won IN SEATTLE!! NOT OKC.

Here's my question, they don't EVEN HAVE THE SAME NAME, so how does this work. How can they really "feel" that they won SQUAT?!!

And... and why would we sell OUR HISTORY?!!!
    Last edited by tom sawyer on Thu May 22, 2014 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
    ImageImageImage

"You kept believing, you kept fighting, you kept clawing and scratching
    and look what you freakin' did. Put that freakin' trophy up again!" - Pete Carroll
    tom sawyer
    NET Veteran

• Because our Local City government screwed us over.

Van Gundy states it best.

"Go for Broke" - 442nd Japanese-American Battalion

Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

"YOU POST...TO WIN...thethread." JesterHawk
    sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• *Opens thread in spite of himself*

*Reads the first two lines of the original post*

*Vomits*
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

--Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

• I enjoy ruining threads by making them about personal attacks and then commenting about how personal attacks make the other person's argument invalid.

:les:
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

• http://seattletimes.com/html/nba/2008035531_soni06.html

Shared history. But that was for 5 years, as long as Seattle acquired a team. Who knows how it stands now as its been over 5 years.
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• I think once Seattle gets a team back, they should work with the Thunder to get their history back. Worked out for the Charlotte Hornets.
    korboko
    NET Practice Squad

• You have Greg Nickels and his stupid agreement to blame for that championship banner hanging in OKC. Talk about politicians with no balls. Greg Nickels is the poster child for that.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• hawkfan68 wrote:You have Greg Nickels and his stupid agreement to blame for that championship banner hanging in OKC. Talk about politicians with no balls. Greg Nickels is the poster child for that.

I'm 99% sure there is no championship banner hanging in OKC. OKC Has a banner hanging that says 'EST. 2008.' I don't think they even want to share the history.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

• OKC doesn't have anything hanging that links em to Seattle, all the stuff is stored up somewhere in seattle I believe.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• pinksheets wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:You have Greg Nickels and his stupid agreement to blame for that championship banner hanging in OKC. Talk about politicians with no balls. Greg Nickels is the poster child for that.

I'm 99% sure there is no championship banner hanging in OKC. OKC Has a banner hanging that says 'EST. 2008.' I don't think they even want to share the history.

Whether or not the banner is hung is not the point. The point is it's not with Seattle and that's on Nickels.

Here's a paragraph from the Seattle Times article referenced in an earlier post, here's the link again - http://seattletimes.com/html/nba/2008035531_soni06.html

"The settlement allows Bennett to replicate and use copies of Sonics memorabilia, including the 1979 NBA trophy, championship banners and the team's six retired jerseys." "Additionally, he owns the Sonics' original championship trophy, banners and retired jerseys and is permitted to periodically display them in Oklahoma City."

Should have fought harder to at least keep those.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• hawkfan68 wrote:
    pinksheets wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:You have Greg Nickels and his stupid agreement to blame for that championship banner hanging in OKC. Talk about politicians with no balls. Greg Nickels is the poster child for that.

Whether or not the banner is hung is not the point. The point is it's not with Seattle and that's on Nickels.

Here's a paragraph from the Seattle Times article referenced in an earlier post, here's the link again - http://seattletimes.com/html/nba/2008035531_soni06.html

"The settlement allows Bennett to replicate and use copies of Sonics memorabilia, including the 1979 NBA trophy, championship banners and the team's six retired jerseys." "Additionally, he owns the Sonics' original championship trophy, banners and retired jerseys and is permitted to periodically display them in Oklahoma City."

Should have fought harder to at least keep those.

That stuff is in storage at MOHAI.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

• twisted_steel2 wrote:http://seattletimes.com/html/nba/2008035531_soni06.html

Shared history. But that was for 5 years, as long as Seattle acquired a team. Who knows how it stands now as its been over 5 years.

Doesn't really mean much, Charlotte JUST got their history back a few days ago when they changed their name from the bobcats to the hornets.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 5:31 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information