World Cup 2014

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
World Cup 2014
Mon May 12, 2014 11:10 am
  • Time to start the thread as the US has named its preliminary 30 man roster (cut down to 23 by 6/2).

    Here is your squad:

    Image


    Keepers: Tim Howard, Brad Guzan, Nick Rimando

    Defenders: Matt Besler, DaMarcus Beasley, John Brooks, Geoff Cameron, Timmy Chandler, Brad Evans, Omar Gonzales, Clarence Goodson, Fabian Johnson, Michael Parkhurst, DeAndre Yedlin

    Midfielders: Kyle Beckerman, Alejandro Bedoya, Michael Bradley, Joe Corona, Brad Davis, Mix Diskerud, Maurice Edu, Julian Green, Jermaine Johnes, Graham Zusi

    Forwards: Jozy Altidor, Terrence Boyd, Clint Dempsey, Landon Donovan, Aron Johannsson, Chris Wondolowski.


    Notables missing: Eddie Johnson, Juan Agudelo, Sacha Kljestan, Edgar Castillo, Tim Ream, Brek Shea, Michael Orozco.
    Last edited by Smurf on Sat Jun 14, 2014 1:36 am, edited 4 times in total.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4408
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


Re: World Cup 2014
Mon May 12, 2014 11:17 am
  • Englands 23 man roster:

    Keepers: Hart, Foster, Forster

    Defenders: Johnson, Cahil, Jagielka, Jones, Smalling, Baines, Shaw

    Midfielders: Gerrard, Lampard, Wilshere, Henderson, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Milner, Sterling, Lallana, Barkley

    Forwards: Rooney, Welbeck, Sturridge, Lambert

    Stand By List: Ruddy, Flanagan, Stones, Carrick, Cleverley, Carroll, Defoe.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4408
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • I like both rosters. good to see both managers making a concerted effort to shed some (some) of the veterans who have just not bettered themselves over the last couple years. Johnson, Shea, Aguedelo, Ream and Kleistjan are notable omissions. Donovan will need to prove himself to make the final cut.

    For England, a strange mix of vets and youthful talent. Henderson, Sterling, Ox-Cham, Wilshere, Barkley, Shaw, Sturridge, Jones are all U-23. then you have Cahil, Gerrard, Lampard, Lambert, Milner, Johnson, baines are on the other end of 20 (and into their 30s). I love the addition of Lallana.

    Anyways, a month away. Exciting stuff
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5576
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • there is an ESPN special airing tonight about the USMNT at 7pm EST.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4408
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • Klinsmann has named the 23-man squad for Brazil.

    GOALKEEPERS (3): Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Tim Howard (Everton), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake)
    DEFENDERS (8): DaMarcus Beasley (Puebla), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Timmy Chandler (Nürnberg), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Mönchengladbach), DeAndre Yedlin (Seattle Sounders FC)
    MIDFIELDERS (8): Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Mix Diskerud (Rosenborg), Julian Green (Bayern Munich), Jermaine Jones (Besiktas), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)
    FORWARDS (4): Jozy Altidore (Sunderland), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

    No Landon Donovan, which surprises me a little. Also from a Sounders perspective, Dempsey & Yedlin make it but Brad Evans doesn't.
    Image
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    User avatar
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 7019
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:38 pm
    Location: Hagerstown, MD


  • I'm not sure leaving Donovan off the squad is a good idea. Donovan > Johannsson. If anyone should have been left off, it should have been him. Just my 2 cents. Yedlin made it over Evans...that didn't make sense either.
    User avatar
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 4186
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:10 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • Very interesting choices. Left off 5 MLS players and used players from the German league (and Dutch) as direct replacements.

    I think this selection shoes a bit more about who we are matched with than maybe who was better. He chose youth and speed (Wondo is faster than Donovan who had to be seen as a forward in this group)

    On we go.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5576
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • Very interesting that Donovan was not chosen. I tend to think Si is correct, more a choice based on our match-ups.

    I have only caught a handful of the Sounders games so far this season, but it really seems like Yedlin is vastly overrated. He is fast and full of energy, but he makes so many mistakes in the games I've watched. Bad passes, giving the ball away too much. Maybe someone can tell me I'm wrong? Like I said, I've only caught about half of the games so far this season. Yedlin reminds me of Rafael for United a couple years ago. Fast, energetic, but makes a lot of dumb mistakes that makes me question either his focus or experience in top level football.

    I am pretty surprised that Yedlin made the team, but it really seems like Klinsmann wants to go for these young fast kids.
    User avatar
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1088
    Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:37 am
    Location: Bellinghome


  • Image


    Like Si said...seems pretty clear the selection is based on who we play...and I think a bit on 2018. Look at the squad players on this team. Brooks, Yedlin, Green, Diskerud...These are sub 21 year old guys, and in 4 years should all be starting 11 players for the USMNT.


    Strait up, I think Yedlin starts at least one match in the group stage. Most likely vs Portugal or Ghana.


    Donovan is being talked about a lot for being left out...but I think the writings been on the wall for a long time. The Cambodia thing was the start. That and he hasn't scored a pro goal since October 2013...He's not the same player he was, and Klinnsman hasn't, and won't pull punches when it comes to his squad.

    I think Evans was a bit hard-done to be left out...maybe thats just my Sounder Bias...but he hadn't conceded a goal from his flank with the US team...not in the Hex, not in the Gold Cup. He's done everything asked of him...I think fitness was the main concern for him.

    Parkhurst and Goodson were always on the outside looking in IMO. Better backs were available, healthy, and willing. Not shocked they got left out.

    Edu has been hard-done since the Algeria game in 2010....Ever since that goal has been wrongly disallowed his entire football career has been in the toilet. He's either been off form, racially abused by Rangers fans, playing for Stoke, and now racking up losses with Philadelphia...Not surprised he's been left out. Beckerman's consistency made him expendable.

    Carona and Boyd got beat out by Wondo...and Wondo deserves in. Has something like 76 goals over 4 years in MLS. That's as consistent as it gets. Dude finds the net. He's not the most talented forward. He's not the biggest. Not the strongest. But Wondo just gets it done. Great positioning. Great poacher. I have faith Wondo can get us a goal when our backs are on the wall.

    Again, Devestated for Evans. He's worked so hard for this and came up short. Wish this weekends match was at home. I think Sounders fans want to show him how proud of him we are. He could use a 40,000 person hug right now.

    The only thing I don't get from this roster...and I mean the ONLY thing I dislike about it...Timmy Chandler....I just don't get it. He's played SO poorly with the nats...and just seems lost. I don't rate him as a player at all. Odd inclusion to me.


    I think we have a different back 4 for each of the group stage games. Backs will be swapped out often.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4408
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • JGfromtheNW wrote:Very interesting that Donovan was not chosen. I tend to think Si is correct, more a choice based on our match-ups.

    I have only caught a handful of the Sounders games so far this season, but it really seems like Yedlin is vastly overrated. He is fast and full of energy, but he makes so many mistakes in the games I've watched. Bad passes, giving the ball away too much. Maybe someone can tell me I'm wrong? Like I said, I've only caught about half of the games so far this season. Yedlin reminds me of Rafael for United a couple years ago. Fast, energetic, but makes a lot of dumb mistakes that makes me question either his focus or experience in top level football.

    I am pretty surprised that Yedlin made the team, but it really seems like Klinsmann wants to go for these young fast kids.



    You answered your own question. That's why he's here. At some point we are going to need someone with blazing speed at RB to combat the attack on that side (ahem, Ronaldo)....Yedlin is here for that. He's here to run with Ronaldo. He likely wont attack much that game.

    This is only the start for Yedlin. He'll be the starter in 2018...and probably European based too. He's going to get his experience...get it right now.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4408
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • I still feel for Brad Evans not making the team. It doesn't make any sense. He played well and did what he was asked to do. If he didn't make it because he played in the MLS and fitness, that doesn't really compute either. Yedlin is a MLS player. So wouldn't that factor in as well. Evans, IMO, is a better defender than Yedlin at this point. The positive in all this is that the Sounders have Evans back. So instead of losing 3 players they only lose 2.
    User avatar
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 4186
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:10 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • Team speed. When paying with the big boys US had been outmatched by speed to many times. Yedlin is a blazer and I understand the reasoning. Makes me excited for 2018 as a real shot to win it. I think we can take Ghana and Portugal. And if we can escape group anything can happen.
    Image
    User avatar
    Wenhawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2231
    Joined: Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:38 am
    Location: Graham, WA


  • I can't wait to see our team in action, we have to beat Ghana in the first match though, IMO. Otherwise, we're hard pressed to get out of the group. I think we're lucky to get a draw against Portugal and Germany so Ghana is our only hope.

    Donovan being left out doesn't scare me, I trust JK to make the tough decisions as to what's best fro the team and the future.

    I think if we make it out of the group, it could be considered a huge step for us.
    I reject your reality and substitute my own
    User avatar
    HawkHouse
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 806
    Joined: Fri May 29, 2009 9:12 pm
    Location: Eugene, OR


  • HawkHouse wrote:I can't wait to see our team in action, we have to beat Ghana in the first match though, IMO. Otherwise, we're hard pressed to get out of the group. I think we're lucky to get a draw against Portugal and Germany so Ghana is our only hope.

    Donovan being left out doesn't scare me, I trust JK to make the tough decisions as to what's best fro the team and the future.

    I think if we make it out of the group, it could be considered a huge step for us.


    Tournament starts and ends with the Ghana game for me. Anything less than the full 3 and I just cant see the team leaving the group stage (unless someone else collapses)

    As for Donovan.. I know alots been said about him being left off, and alot of old school fans have been disappointed (for good reason) that Klinsmann made the decision to move on. For me, all the reasons cited (his age, lack of scoring of late, lack of pace, lack of dedication to pushing himself outside the MLS, and being cited as a striker and not a mid) all make sense. But there may be something else.

    But does anyone remember when Klinsmann first started? There was alot of disatisfaction in the US camp, and alot of it was being fed to the media from an unnamed player. I'm starting to wonder if that player was indeed Donovan. Seems there relationship (contributed by Donovan waiting for nearly a year to reenter the national scene) was always tenuous.

    Either way, I think Klinsmann's message is clear on this. For US fans, its nice to finally have a manager hold the players as accountable as they would be elsewhere.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5576
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • Although I like watching the best players in the world at the top of their game, this is potentially good news for the US if Ronaldo isn't 100%.

    http://www.espnfc.com/portugal/story/18 ... -world-cup
    Image
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    User avatar
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 7019
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:38 pm
    Location: Hagerstown, MD


  • We have to beat Ghana. If we beat Ghana we advance IMO.

    We beat Ghana, we gain confidence and we can beat Portugal.


    I think we can advance out of the group. I don't see a 2006 scenario happening.

    I will make this prediction.

    Chris Wondolowski will score one of the most important goals of the tournament for the US at some point.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4408
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • Half-time vs Nigeria in a warm up game.

    US are up 1-0.

    Jozy scored for the first time since October for club or Country. Good timing.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4408
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • And Jozy with a second goal. The US is in the best form tonight that I've seen from them since the Gold Cup. Definitely bodes well for the opener against Ghana, who are similar to Nigeria.
    Image
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    User avatar
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 7019
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:38 pm
    Location: Hagerstown, MD


  • Smurf wrote:We have to beat Ghana. If we beat Ghana we advance IMO.

    We beat Ghana, we gain confidence and we can beat Portugal.


    I think we can advance out of the group. I don't see a 2006 scenario happening.

    I will make this prediction.

    Chris Wondolowski will score one of the most important goals of the tournament for the US at some point.


    If Chris Wondolowski scores a goal we can assume it would be a massive one...

    Take 3 points from Ghana and I think we can advance. But I am not trusting the back four. Ghana is very underated going forward.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5576
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Smurf wrote:We have to beat Ghana. If we beat Ghana we advance IMO.

    We beat Ghana, we gain confidence and we can beat Portugal.


    I think we can advance out of the group. I don't see a 2006 scenario happening.

    I will make this prediction.

    Chris Wondolowski will score one of the most important goals of the tournament for the US at some point.


    If Chris Wondolowski scores a goal we can assume it would be a massive one...

    Take 3 points from Ghana and I think we can advance. But I am not trusting the back four. Ghana is very underated going forward.



    Agreed on Ghana mate.

    I think our back line is getting better. Cameron and Besler partnership is coming around. Gonzalez is so far off form I want him nowhere near the field right now.

    Fabian Johnson has shown why they sent Brad Evans home. Johnson is the first choice right back, and IMO has played the part. He is a major threat in the attack and doesn't sacrifice a ton in defense to do so. As long as the midfield and the CB's can cover, he is a good option to have going forward. He's been instrumental a good portion of our last couple goals.

    I think Beasley has cemented himself at left back. He'll be the first choice there. Timmy Chandler is a disaster on the left. This will be Beasley's 4th world cup, if you can believe that. Assuming he plays he will share that with only a handful of players...names like Pele and Maradona.

    With the formations I've seen from Jurgen one thing is clear. The width on the attack is coming from the outside backs. The midfield has been focused on being centralized during the majority of the run of play. The experiment today with Beckerman, Jones and Bradley just amplified that even more.

    I like what I saw today tactically. 4-2-3-1 in defense, with a modified 4-1-3-2 in attack. Jones is a CDM next to beckerman when defending and one of the strikers slides back to left mid...then in the attack the strikers pull forward and Jones goes out to LM. Hampers Beasley's runs a little bit over there, but Johnson has been the main outside back pushing forward.

    I don't think that Zusi, Davis, or Diskerud have shown enough defensively to justify putting one of them on the outside of midfield. I think Jurgen will prefer to play Beckerman in that role right in front of the CB's. His presence today greatly frustrated the Nigerians. I do worry about his pace though...In the dream world in my head he is replaced by Ozzie Alonso and the formation works better.

    Bedoya I think starts at RM. He's the hardest working outside mid we have defensively. He hasn't been spot on in the offensive third, but I think he's defensive workrate helps him stay on the pitch more often then not.

    I think Diskerud is going to be our first sub just about every match, and if its not we'll see Johansson or Wondo. 2 of those three will get time every match I think...though we could see a role player like DeAndre Yedlin, Zusi, or Brad Davis get some time depending on what we need.


    Despite what Jurgen has said, I think that starting 11 we saw today is who lines up vs Ghana...If there is a adjustment to that 11...I think its Johnson out of RB and into RM with Bedoya going to the left. Yedlin or Chandler step into RB....If Jurgen changes it, I think thats how he does it.

    But what do I know....
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4408
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • So this seems like as good a place as any around here to discuss this. Seems like every day more stories come out regarding corruption surrounding Qatar's World Cup bid. Frankly, corruption is the only logical reason I can see as why they were selected. So now the issue becomes, assuming of course that FIFA decides to actually acknowledge the corruption, what to do? Should there be a re-vote? Who would be considered in the re-vote?
    Image
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    User avatar
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 7019
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:38 pm
    Location: Hagerstown, MD


  • SeatownJay wrote:So this seems like as good a place as any around here to discuss this. Seems like every day more stories come out regarding corruption surrounding Qatar's World Cup bid. Frankly, corruption is the only logical reason I can see as why they were selected. So now the issue becomes, assuming of course that FIFA decides to actually acknowledge the corruption, what to do? Should there be a re-vote? Who would be considered in the re-vote?



    There seems to be alot of talk about a re-vote, and much of it coming from FIFA board members. It is my understanding that if there is a re-vote it would come down to the nations that were finalists (the US being one, I believe Great Britain being another).

    Some issues surrounding it would be compensating Qatar for the investment they've made already (I know that sounds ridiculous, but it will be an issue) as well as the labor force currently working on the stadiums in Qatar (for a fascinating story on how those forces have been imported and are now dying by the droves check out Deadspin's article).

    I think the corruption charge will ultimately mark the end of Blatter's tyrannical (too strong) imbecilic reign over FIFA. He's made enough enemies at this point that they've been waiting for a way to oust him. If they find enough, they will strip Qatar of its successful bid, reopen the voting and remove Blatter.

    However, if you follow the machniations of the Football governing body you will know that any of those three, let alone all three are the "Triple Crown" of movement, and are long shots

    or, let John Oliver explaint it: http://screamer.deadspin.com/john-oliver-brilliantly-lays-out-all-the-reasons-to-hat-1588004855/+Tom_Ley
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5576
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • Let's GO Brazil! :th2thumbs:
    ---
    Image
    User avatar
    Cirmman
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 133
    Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:44 am
    Location: Brasília - Brazil


  • Uncle Si wrote:
    SeatownJay wrote:So this seems like as good a place as any around here to discuss this. Seems like every day more stories come out regarding corruption surrounding Qatar's World Cup bid. Frankly, corruption is the only logical reason I can see as why they were selected. So now the issue becomes, assuming of course that FIFA decides to actually acknowledge the corruption, what to do? Should there be a re-vote? Who would be considered in the re-vote?



    There seems to be alot of talk about a re-vote, and much of it coming from FIFA board members. It is my understanding that if there is a re-vote it would come down to the nations that were finalists (the US being one, I believe Great Britain being another).

    Some issues surrounding it would be compensating Qatar for the investment they've made already (I know that sounds ridiculous, but it will be an issue) as well as the labor force currently working on the stadiums in Qatar (for a fascinating story on how those forces have been imported and are now dying by the droves check out Deadspin's article).

    I think the corruption charge will ultimately mark the end of Blatter's tyrannical (too strong) imbecilic reign over FIFA. He's made enough enemies at this point that they've been waiting for a way to oust him. If they find enough, they will strip Qatar of its successful bid, reopen the voting and remove Blatter.

    However, if you follow the machniations of the Football governing body you will know that any of those three, let alone all three are the "Triple Crown" of movement, and are long shots

    or, let John Oliver explaint it: http://screamer.deadspin.com/john-oliver-brilliantly-lays-out-all-the-reasons-to-hat-1588004855/+Tom_Ley



    Great Britain, England, Japan, and Australia would be in the mix to host should a re-vote happen.

    Personally the most shocking thing about this...is how long it has taken to surface. I could have told your their were bribes from the moment the 2022 world cup was awarded. As John Oliver said, there are at least 50 reasons why this is a ridiculous place to host a world cup.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4408
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • Did anyone else catch Alexis Lalas telling Everton's manager how to best make comments to the media? (Re: Klinsmann's comments about winning a World Cup being unrealistic.)

    I thought that was pretty ballsy for an analyst to tell a BPL manager how to coaches ought to act - especially when Martinez gave him about five good reasons why Juergen was in the right.

    Also, I'm glad to see Oliver's commentary getting around. Last Week Tonight is a great show.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

    RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    User avatar
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *
     
    Posts: 15782
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Portland, OR




  • I'm so ready for this.

    I'll Take Brazil 3-2 over Croatia. We start with a bang today fellas.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4408
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • Sarlacc83 wrote:Did anyone else catch Alexis Lalas telling Everton's manager how to best make comments to the media? (Re: Klinsmann's comments about winning a World Cup being unrealistic.)

    I thought that was pretty ballsy for an analyst to tell a BPL manager how to coaches ought to act - especially when Martinez gave him about five good reasons why Juergen was in the right.

    Also, I'm glad to see Oliver's commentary getting around. Last Week Tonight is a great show.


    not to mention Martinez is one of the best spoken managers in the PL, not just one of the better coaches. Lalas is all that is wrong with American soccer. thankfully he's become the Dick Vitale of the culture.

    on the first match.

    Thank God Pitbull was there to get things rolling in his tight white pants and Brazil jersey. Looks like Dr. Evil on a beach holiday
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5576
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • New just hitting the web.

    Ronaldo left training today after just 15 minutes with an ice pack on his knee.

    Image

    Will be interesting to see if he can go vs Germany.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4408
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • he'll be fine...
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5576
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • Uncle Si wrote:he'll be fine...


    He's got what, 3, 4 days?

    I think he'll play...I don't think he'll be 100%. Honestly, I think he's going to push himself too much to play.


    Who you got in this one Si?

    Srna vs Neymar seems like a bad position for Croatia.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4408
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • Smurf wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:he'll be fine...


    He's got what, 3, 4 days?

    I think he'll play...I don't think he'll be 100%. Honestly, I think he's going to push himself too much to play.


    Who you got in this one Si?

    Srna vs Neymar seems like a bad position for Croatia.


    I think there's more goals for both sides in this to be honest. Croatia seem a bit to loose coming out of their own end for me.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5576
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • Tough pill for Croatia. Bad call then a near save.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

    RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    User avatar
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *
     
    Posts: 15782
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Portland, OR


  • Sarlacc83 wrote:Tough pill for Croatia. Bad call then a near save.

    Yeah, that was a horrid call by the ref.
    Image
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    User avatar
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 7019
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:38 pm
    Location: Hagerstown, MD


  • And yet another questionable call by the ref that benefits Brazil.
    Image
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    User avatar
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 7019
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:38 pm
    Location: Hagerstown, MD


  • Croatia is on the verge...
    "Go for Broke" - 442nd Japanese-American Battalion

    Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

    "YOU POST...TO WIN...thethread." JesterHawk
    User avatar
    sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 4229
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:42 pm
    Location: Pacific Ocean


  • SeatownJay wrote:And yet another questionable call by the ref that benefits Brazil.


    Apparently, he's afraid of the Brazilians.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

    RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    User avatar
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *
     
    Posts: 15782
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Portland, OR


  • 3-1... Brazil seals it. Poor read by the goalie.
    "Go for Broke" - 442nd Japanese-American Battalion

    Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

    "YOU POST...TO WIN...thethread." JesterHawk
    User avatar
    sammyc521
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 4229
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:42 pm
    Location: Pacific Ocean


  • I think Croatia can beat Mexico & Cameroon and get out of the group stage. Brazil is the better team but Croatia played them tough and definitely had them off their game.
    Image
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    User avatar
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 7019
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:38 pm
    Location: Hagerstown, MD


  • SeatownJay wrote:I think Croatia can beat Mexico & Cameroon and get out of the group stage. Brazil is the better team but Croatia played them tough and definitely had them off their game.


    At 1-1 it looked like both teams were thinking the same thing. The pen took the game apart.

    Croatia still advance
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5576
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • Some bad calls by the ref, and some bad Goal keeping by Croatia. IMO the keeper should have saved all three of those goals.

    First one is a slow roller from distance. Even though he saw it a tad late, should be able to get down in that time.

    On the penalty he got two hands to it. Should have been able to push it wide. Didn't have strong enough hands there. This is the most forgivable one IMO.

    Third goal was just crap. Started with a missed foul call in the midfield and then Brazil went on the break. The centerbacks didn't commit to a tackle and the keeper was a statue.

    As much as Croatia got F'd by the ref in this game...they let themselves down. They should still make it out of the group though.

    I'd be licking my chops if I were Cameroon and Mexico. Brazil don't look the strong favorites everyone thought they would be. They look like a team that you can get points from.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4408
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • Bit harsh on the keeper there Smurf... Inside post, hard struck pen and than side netting from the 18. Though the had the pen though
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5576
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • Uncle Si wrote:Bit harsh on the keeper there Smurf... Inside post, hard struck pen and than side netting from the 18. Though the had the pen though



    He got beat from a toe poke from outside the 18...near post. That inexcusable. Those are saves that keepers should make. Period.

    The first two, yeah...maybe i'm being harsh..but that last one was shoddy keeping..

    Cesar wasn't anything special either.

    Guess I'm spoiled by Howard, Guzan and Rimando...I feel that any of the three of them could have kept at least 1 of them out, if not 2 or 3.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4408
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • Nice job Brazil... scored 4 goals!
    I enjoy ruining threads by making them about personal attacks and then commenting about how personal attacks make the other person's argument invalid.

    :les:
    User avatar
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8674
    Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:56 pm


  • So did this Japanese ref really cheat for Brazil like I'm hearing?
    User avatar
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7487
    Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:12 am


  • Doesn't matter given we have zero chance to advance. It pisses me off that Mexico and Honduras will probably advance and we are better then both of them.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    User avatar
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 8299
    Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:46 pm
    Location: Kansas City, MO


  • -The Glove- wrote:So did this Japanese ref really cheat for Brazil like I'm hearing?

    I prefer to believe the ref is just incompetent.
    Image
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    User avatar
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 7019
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:38 pm
    Location: Hagerstown, MD


  • MizzouHawkGal wrote:Doesn't matter given we have zero chance to advance. It pisses me off that Mexico and Honduras will probably advance and we are better then both of them.



    We will advance from the group. All starts with 3 points vs Ghana on Monday.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4408
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • MizzouHawkGal wrote:Doesn't matter given we have zero chance to advance. It pisses me off that Mexico and Honduras will probably advance and we are better then both of them.


    Neither of those teams will advance either. to be honest I'd say we have a better chance than the other two. (given we are a better team than both, although Honduras is a tricky bunch). Mexico will lose to Cameroon today, maybe draw, and then get taken behind the shed by Croatia and Brazil.

    to the other's point, no, the ref did not "cheat"... he just made a bad decision (two if you count the foul on the keeper that seemed to be leading to a Croatia equalizer). its soccer, it happens, alot (as in every sport. difference being one goal in soccer is 33% of the scoring, as opposed to every other sport). FIFA need to replay penalty decisions, or continue to answer questions about the refs. Given the enormity of betting scandals that continue to manifest right around major tournaments its probably in the best interest of the game to start having goal line officials, replay and more technology.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5576
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • After Croatia, it's Mexico's turn today. NBA Refs > World Cup Refs
    Wazzu Sucks, Oregon Swallows!!!!
    ludakrishna
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 898
    Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 9:40 am
    Location: Philadelphia, PA


  • Mexico have been screwed out of two goals so far. I don't think either team are up to much though, especially defensively.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 313
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Next


It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 2:36 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: Gatehawk and 2 guests