Copa America coming to the US.

SeatownJay

Reaction score
So this was announced yesterday. A special edition of the Copa America tournament celebrating its centennial will be held in the U.S. in 2016. Personally, I think this is great as it gives Americans more exposure to the South American teams and it gives the US team the chance to play more games against quality opponents to help prepare for the 2018 World Cup.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
This will be a very big deal, more than what it does for bringing quality soccer to the US than what it does for the US players.I'd imagine Seattle will be a host venue (if they can find a way to get grass down).

A nice coup for the nation's soccer elite

Uncle Si

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":bwmyss54 said:
I don't get it unless the US is playing?

They are...

So typically the tournament is every 2 years (in between World Cups) and involved only South American (CONMEBOL) nations. I know the US and Mexico had been working hard to get entrance into the tournament the last decade or so.

For the 100th year anniversary the US was somehow ($$) able to bring the tournament to our country and expand it by 6 teams (I think) from our own region (CONCACAF). The US and Mexico are automatic entries, with 4 other countries from the region playing their way in from another tournament.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3snvqww2 said:
MizzouHawkGal":3snvqww2 said:

They are...

So typically the tournament is every 2 years (in between World Cups) and involved only South American (CONMEBOL) nations. I know the US and Mexico had been working hard to get entrance into the tournament the last decade or so.

For the 100th year anniversary the US was somehow ($$) able to bring the tournament to our country and expand it by 6 teams (I think) from our own region (CONCACAF). The US and Mexico are automatic entries, with 4 other countries from the region playing their way in from another tournament.
Actually, the Copa America is 12 teams since '93. The 10 from CONMEBOL and two other "invitees". Mexico has been invited every time. The US has only been invited thrice ('93, '95 & '07).

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SeatownJay":1zcy7ntv said:
Uncle Si":1zcy7ntv said:
MizzouHawkGal":1zcy7ntv said:

They are...

Actually, the Copa America is 12 teams since '93. The 10 from CONMEBOL and two other "invitees". Mexico has been invited every time. The US has only been invited thrice ('93, '95 & '07).

Right, didnt know about the "invitees"...but they are expanding it this time around...

"Sixteen teams, including all 10 CONMEBOL members, will compete. CONCACAF nations will fill out the field. The U.S. and Mexican squads are automatic entries. Canada and Central American and Caribbean teams will vie for the remaining four slots, based on performance in regional tournaments and the 2015 Gold Cup, CONCACAF’s biennial championship."

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
16 teams is better. Best of South America, the Caribbean and North America. Much more relevant than the Gold Cup. A hemisphere World Cup if you will.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
I would love to see this turn into a quadrennial tournament with both CONMEBOL and CONCACAF, held the same time as the UEFA European Championship.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":c8cu8cll said:
16 teams is better. Best of South America, the Caribbean and North America. Much more relevant than the Gold Cup. A hemisphere World Cup if you will.

absolutely. having it at the same time as the Euros would make for great soccer in between World Cups

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1sj5ms2z said:
MizzouHawkGal":1sj5ms2z said:

absolutely. having it at the same time as the Euros would make for great soccer in between World Cups
We could watch Euro matches during the day and Copa America matches at night. It would be bliss.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Good chance for that as soccer gets more popular in North America. It would help immensely if the US made top 16 or 8 in the next couple World Cups.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":32wi95g1 said:
Good chance for that as soccer gets more popular in North America. It would help immensely if the US made top 16 or 8 in the next couple World Cups.

Tough task this go round

However, the majority of the countries soccer fans are typically either expats or heavily invested in another nations club team (a Bayern, BPL team or Real for example) and can easily find a favorite player in the Copa America to come see regardless of our own lack of produced star power.

It will be a huge tournament I think

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Uncle Si":g89gr9jm said:
MizzouHawkGal":g89gr9jm said:

Tough task this go round

However, the majority of the countries soccer fans are typically either expats or heavily invested in another nations club team (a Bayern, BPL team or Real for example) and can easily find a favorite player in the Copa America to come see regardless of our own lack of produced star power.

Yeah we are in a tough group from what I see. Surprises can happen though.:)

Uncle Si

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":hrkzjx1v said:
Uncle Si":hrkzjx1v said:
MizzouHawkGal":hrkzjx1v said:

Tough task this go round

Yeah we are in a tough group from what I see. Surprises can happen though.:)

Honestly I could see us getting through... I could also seeing us not score a goal.

First game is the tournament. Beat Ghana you only need to play for a draw with Portugal