NBA investigates Clippers owner Donald Sterling for racism

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
  • I wish more of this would end up on Stern. He allowed Sterling to be the worst owner in sports for decades, reaping TV money hand over fist while putting crap on the floor for fans to watch.

It is unfair for Silver that he has to clean up a mess Stern helped make.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Don't forget it was Stern who blocked the Chris Paul to the Lakers trade and had him traded to the Clippers instead to give Sterling a more competitive and marketable team.
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• I was just going to say something like Scottemojo said except less elegantly.

MLB: Gets rid of Marge Schott as soon as possible.

NFL: Doesn't let Rush Limbaugh buy a piece of the Rams.

NBA: Lets Donald Sterling stick around for decades.

Just more proof that David Stern is up there as one of the worst commissioners in the history of major league sports, and he should thank Magic, Bird, and Michael every day for keeping him from running the league into the ground.
    Last edited by Smelly McUgly on Mon Apr 28, 2014 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

--Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

• Smelly McUgly wrote:I was just going to say something like Scottemojo said except less elegantly.

NFL: Doesn't let Rush Limbaugh by a piece of the Rams.

Just more proof that David Stern is up there as one of the worst commissioners in the history of major league sports, and he should thank Magic, Bird, and Michael every day for keeping him from running the league into the ground.

Not just "stick around" but allow him to completely mismanage a franchise for decades, then force feed him competitive players to give the market a boost.

Its this (x100 other things) as to why I cant get into the NBA. I want to, Sonics or no Sonics. But I just cant.

Saving grace for the Clippers is this may just force Sterling to give up the team. they are hemorraghing money because of this. Free agents are never coming there with him as the owner and i'm sure a handful of contracted players will look to force their way out.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

• The NBA has some awful owners. I mean, like awful people as owners.

Dan 'Subprime' Gilbert
    Mikhail Prokhorov... No one becomes a Russian Billionaire without a few dozen skeletons in your closet.
    Bennet's group made a crap load off of fracking.
    And I think it's the Magic owner who has bankrolled millions to continue marriage inequality.

NBA is full of dickholes.
    SUPER BOWL 48 CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!

:les:
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

• Scottemojo wrote:I wish more of this would end up on Stern. He allowed Sterling to be the worst owner in sports for decades, reaping TV money hand over fist while putting crap on the floor for fans to watch.

It is unfair for Silver that he has to clean up a mess Stern helped make.

Great post.

Smelly McUgly wrote:I was just going to say something like Scottemojo said except less elegantly.

NFL: Doesn't let Rush Limbaugh buy a piece of the Rams.

And two more. Stern is THE worst. He ranks up there as among the worst ever people involved in American sports.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• m0ng0 wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:I mean there is the NBA's nuclear option where they pretty much write a check for Sterling whether he accepts or not, and cease control of the team. They've never done this before. They have bought the Hornets back from George Shinn a few years back, but wasn't a hostile take over. I think the NBA could exercise this option in this instance.

You think Silver has the guts to do it?

No.

While this is a disgusting situation by a despicable human being, I love how it's a big wart on the NBA's backside! Watching Silver squirm at his upcoming press conference will be entertaining as hell.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• m0ng0 wrote:Grandmama had this to say, curiously as a currently employed exec for the New York Knicks......

http://newyork.cbslocal.com/2014/04/28/ ... ck-league/

Nothing like segregation, I guess. :roll:

Stupid comes in all shapes and forms, and that was stupid of Johnson to say that in the wake of even worse comments by a documented racist.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Silver is a tool. If Stern did nothing about Sterling, you can be sure that Silver will handle him with kid gloves.
    Kennedyin92
    NET Rookie

• Alex Kennedy ‏@AlexKennedyNBA

TMZ reports that the NBA will suspend Donald Sterling indefinitely and fine him $5 million. He won't be forced to sell team.

Incredibly lame. Punishment needs to be more severe. What's 5M to a guy that is worth/has 1.9B...and like suspending him does anything, now he gets to continue to sit back and collect the $$ from the playoffs.
    20% off Karmaloop & 10% off PLNDR, rep code: DUCK20
    dontbelikethat
    NET Veteran

• A suspension and a $5 million fine...

NBA screwed up royally, the owners needed to take a strong stance, and that just seems like a slap on the wrist.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• You knew this was coming as soon as Mark Cuban let slip to the media what the owners' marching orders for Silver were with his, "The comments were terrible, but there's no way you can make an owner relinquish control of his team" remarks.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

• Silver just said he is banned for life. :shock:

And fine is 2.5m instead of 5m.
    dontbelikethat
    NET Veteran

• Lifetime ban with pretty much anything associated with the Clippers/NBA+ 2.5m fine (max amount they can fine him).

Also urging board of governers to force him to sell of team!! Owners can 3/4 vote to remove his ownership.

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH!
    Last edited by dontbelikethat on Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
    dontbelikethat
    NET Veteran

• WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH! SILVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:th2thumbs:
    dontbelikethat
    NET Veteran

• WELP nevermind.

Magic Johnson, come on down! You are the next owner of the L.A. Clippers!

Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

• LMAOOO silver just pulled a boss move.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Cmon Mr. Hansen, let's get the ball rolling.
    dontbelikethat
    NET Veteran

• Lifetime ban or indefinite ban?
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

• POW! As much as I hate the nba I'll give them credit for nailing this moron. Nice job new commish!
    The LOLs of the many outweigh the shame of the few
    Msfann
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

• dontbelikethat wrote:Cmon Mr. Hansen, let's get the ball rolling.

Not going to happen.

Hansen should have been dishonest about his plans. Everyone knows he wants to move the team to Seattle, and the NBA won't want to move a team from L.A.

Magic Johnson is probably it, I would guess, unless there is some rule against his partial ownership of the Dodgers and he doesn't want to relinquish that ownership.

Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

• Smelly McUgly wrote:
    dontbelikethat wrote:Cmon Mr. Hansen, let's get the ball rolling.

Not going to happen.

We can dream. :(
    dontbelikethat
    NET Veteran

• -The Glove- wrote:Lifetime ban or indefinite ban?

Lifetime
    The LOLs of the many outweigh the shame of the few
    Msfann
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

• Paul Allen owns 2 teams, I don't see why Magic would not be allowed, however magic does not have the assets himself to buy the team
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• m0ng0 wrote:Paul Allen owns 2 teams, I don't see why Magic would not be allowed, however magic does not have the assets himself to buy the team

It's L.A. I'm sure Magic would have no problem finding some partners with enough money to buy the Clippers.
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

Among those groups, Magic Johnson and Guggenheim Partners will be front-and-center in pursuit of the Clippers.

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

Several groups with desire to purchase Clippers are already stepping forward, with a bidding war expected to exceed $1 billion for Clippers.
    dontbelikethat
    NET Veteran

• Silver looks to me like the anti-Stern while watching this press conference. Dude gives short, direct and to the point answers. You can tell he's pissed. Sterling IS going to be forced to sell his team IMO (and rightly so of course). It will take a 3/4 vote of the owners to force him to sell. If these guys have half a brain, it'll be unanimous to force him to do so. To pull the 'rich white guys tick together' thing could be near suicide for the league.

Did the NBA just get a pair?
    Last edited by hawksfansinceday1 on Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• m0ng0 wrote:Paul Allen owns 2 teams, I don't see why Magic would not be allowed, however magic does not have the assets himself to buy the team

There are weird rules between MLB and other leagues, though. Remember how Stan Kroenke was going to buy a piece of a team (maybe the Rockies), but couldn't because of some rule about ownership?

We'll see. I do think that you are right about Magic not having the assets himself, but he will probably front a group that does, much like he does with the Dodgers.

Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

• You mean I might be able to take the NBA seriously again? And maybe even think Seattle may get a franchise again in the not too distant future?
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

• MizzouHawkGal wrote:You mean I might be able to take the NBA seriously again? And maybe even think Seattle may get a franchise again in the not too distant future?

Maybe, but I don't think it'll be the Clippers, even though our guys Ballmer & Hansen have enough ammo get into a bidding war and win against these other ownership groups.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• "I fully expect to get the support of the owners" (as it concerns the necessary 75% vote to force the sale of the team). That's called throwing down the gauntlet.
    Last edited by hawksfansinceday1 on Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• Throwdown wrote:
    MizzouHawkGal wrote:You mean I might be able to take the NBA seriously again? And maybe even think Seattle may get a franchise again in the not too distant future?

Maybe, but I don't think it'll be the Clippers, even though our guys Ballmer & Hansen have enough ammo get into a bidding war and win against these other ownership groups.

...though I want my hockey team, so throw so much money at the NBA that the valuation of all franchises shoots up, and maybe it will happen. Is a team worth 2B to these guys?

Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

• m0ng0 wrote:Was the question raised about how soon a vote would take place?

Not that I heard. Guessing it won't be long though. Silver no doubt wants this whole mess in the rear view mirror as rapidly as possible.
    Last edited by hawksfansinceday1 on Tue Apr 29, 2014 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• Smelly McUgly wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:
    MizzouHawkGal wrote:You mean I might be able to take the NBA seriously again? And maybe even think Seattle may get a franchise again in the not too distant future?

...though I want my hockey team, so throw so much money at the NBA that the valuation of all franchises shoots up, and maybe it will happen. Is a team worth 2B to these guys?

If they were close to paying a billy for Sacramento Freakin' Kings, for the Clippers I think they would.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Throwdown wrote:
    Smelly McUgly wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:

If they were close to paying a billy for Sacramento Freakin' Kings, for the Clippers I think they would.

LOL, I hope it happens. I hope they at least give an offer, even if the NBA shuts the door on them again. Would be good for some off-season entertainment.

Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

• I agree %100 with the decision to oust the idiot from the NBA, he is reaping what he sowed. But something that really gets me riled up is every time I see Charles Barkley on the tube stating his opinions on the matter, which is fine, but considering his record perhaps he should shut up.
    Back in the 90's when the Vancouver Grizzlies were beginning their short stay in the NBA, one of the local TV stations sent a reporter on the road to the teams first foray into Phoenix. Sure enough he got an interview with then super star, Barkley, then something happened that to this day I still can't believe didn't cause an uproar. During said interview, after a question from the reporter, who is white, Barkley blurted out, "That is why I hate white people". I don't recall the question he was answering, but it caused a little bit of shock in the reporter and with the anchor back in Vancouver, but nothing ever came of it, which I found strange then and still do. And to this day whenever I see Sir Charles pontificating about race I shake my head.
    valleyflyfisher
    NET Bench Warmer

• Smelly McUgly wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:
    Smelly McUgly wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:Maybe, but I don't think it'll be the Clippers, even though our guys Ballmer & Hansen have enough ammo get into a bidding war and win against these other ownership groups.

LOL, I hope it happens. I hope they at least give an offer, even if the NBA shuts the door on them again. Would be good for some off-season entertainment.

Haha, that would be awesome. Just double the offer of whatever Magic & co. gives.
    dontbelikethat
    NET Veteran

• I mean there's no doubt in my mind that they're calling their NBA connects up right this moment and talking strategy, I just think it'd be in bad taste if the NBA let a team leave its fans because the previous owner was a dirtbag.

Wouldn't be against it, I just don't think that this team is the one for them.

Even if LA is a Lakers town...
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

dontbelikethat
    NET Veteran

• If Adam Silver sells the Clippers to Ballmer and Hansen, he instantly becomes the GOAT commish
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• I honestly don't care about other fans at this point. They don't care about us, after all.

I just want my arena.

Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

• Hasselbeck wrote:If Adam Silver sells the Clippers to Ballmer and Hansen, he instantly becomes the GOAT commish

I'd legit consider lobbying to get a day named after him if he did that.

"Its Adam Silver day, here in Seattle"
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• I mean.. from the leagues standpoint.. what were the two black eyes on the NBA as of today?

- Sterling

- The Seattle situation

He can fix both. Instantly.

DO IT ADAM.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• Hasselbeck wrote:If Adam Silver sells the Clippers to Ballmer and Hansen, he instantly becomes the GOAT commish

And if he sells them to Johnson instead, we can surreptitiously wiretap the other owners in the league and wait for one to say something stupid enough to get the public lynch mob fired up.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Les Norton - gone but never forgotten. Rest in blue and green peace, my friend.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Well done Commissioner Silver. If Stern had the balls that Silver does the Sonics would still be in Seattle.

"There is no delay of game. We did not let the team know we were scratching our balls"
    IBleedBlueAndGreen
    * NET Injury Guru *

dontbelikethat
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Thu Sep 18, 2014 9:51 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information