NBA investigates Clippers owner Donald Sterling for racism

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
  • I've been in Silver's corner since February when he took the job, today he impressed me by taking a hard line stance.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojYahooNBA

On ownership super majority needed to vote Sterling out, one Board of Governor tells Yahoo: "Adam has the votes - all of them, I believe."
    20% off Karmaloop & 10% off PLNDR, rep code: DUCK20
    dontbelikethat
    NET Veteran

• Throwdown wrote:I've been in Silver's corner since February when he took the job, today he impressed me by taking a hard line stance.

As much as I hate to say it, Stern would have done the same thing, there was no way around doing anything less then what Silver did today......it HAD to be done
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• m0ng0 wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:I've been in Silver's corner since February when he took the job, today he impressed me by taking a hard line stance.

As much as I hate to say it, Stern would have done the same thing, there was no way around doing anything less then what Silver did today......it HAD to be done

Mmmmmmmmm, not so sure myself.

Maybe that's just the fact that I despise the guy so much talking.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• m0ng0 wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:I've been in Silver's corner since February when he took the job, today he impressed me by taking a hard line stance.

Considering Stern did absolutely nothing when Sterling's racist behavior came to light in the past, and in fact used his commissioner powers to help make the Clippers more competitive and marketable, I seriously doubt it.
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Hasselbeck wrote:If Adam Silver sells the Clippers to Ballmer and Hansen, he instantly becomes the GOAT commish

Please excuse my ignorance.
    I understand that the NBA with enough votes, can force the sale of a team.
    Can they force a move? Will the new owner have an option to move the team? Or will the team stay where it is?
    pmedic920
    * .NET Official Stache *

• SeatownJay wrote:
    m0ng0 wrote:

Considering Stern did absolutely nothing when Sterling's racist behavior came to light in the past, and in fact used his commissioner powers to help make the Clippers more competitive and marketable, I seriously doubt it.

Silver talked about this in the PC. Basically since he wasn't proven guilty in the court of law(won case against Baylor, settled with Department of Justice), there was no bounds for punishment.
    dontbelikethat
    NET Veteran

• If HBN bought the team, they should just lie. "Of course we are going to stay in L.A.!" Then, after they get approved, ask for a 1.5B arena for the Clippers in, uh, I don't know, Industrial Park? Inglewood? You get the point.

However, to answer pmedic, it won't get that far because Silver would just tie the sale to the move like Stern did with the Kings, and the owners will vote down the move. I'm sure that HBN have already made their calls and got the "We'd shoot it down" answer by now.
    Last edited by Smelly McUgly on Tue Apr 29, 2014 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    "He's a *****. It's not that he was a *****, he is a *****, and that's why he hasn't won anything."
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

• pmedic920 wrote:
    Hasselbeck wrote:If Adam Silver sells the Clippers to Ballmer and Hansen, he instantly becomes the GOAT commish

Can they force a move? Will the new owner have an option to move the team? Or will the team stay where it is?

Cannot force a move. All moves have to be voted on by the board of governors. No idea if they could move the team or if it has to stay because there's ton of factors like arena leases,etc.
    dontbelikethat
    NET Veteran

• pmedic920 wrote:
    Hasselbeck wrote:If Adam Silver sells the Clippers to Ballmer and Hansen, he instantly becomes the GOAT commish

I would imagine the sale would be very similar to the Kings where even though Sterling may want to sell to one buyer (like the Maloofs wanted to sell to Hansen) they would basically steer it to the ownership group of their choosing.

Now .. who knows.. maybe Silver and the board of Governor's jumps on board behind a Ballmer/Hansen purchase.. that would get the wheels in motion for relocation - but again, the league owners would have to ok such a move.

So the likelihood of 1) Ballmer/Hansen buying the Clippers and 2) Getting the ok to relocate them from LA to Seattle is probably really slim.. but to quote a great movie..

February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• Smelly McUgly wrote:If HBN bought the team, they should just lie. "Of course we are going to stay in L.A.!" Then, after they get approved, ask for a 1.5B arena for the Clippers in, uh, I don't know, Industrial Park? Inglewood? You get the point.

However, to answer pmedic, it won't get that far because Silver would just tie the sale to the move like Stern did with the Kings, and the owners will vote down the move. I'm sure that HBN have already made their calls and got the "We'd shoot it down" answer by now.

I think where there is a huge difference between the Clippers and say the Bucks or Kings.. is the fact LA already has a team, one that is immensely more popular than the Clippers. And this organization has long been the black sheep of LA... whereas even though the Kings and Bucks don't have a whole lot of history in their own right.. they still are the only teams in each respective city.

In this case.. Los Angeles does not lose the NBA .. Seattle gets a team back, one that is not devoid of talent like the Bucks/Kings would be.. AND you do not have to have expansion which further waters down a league that already has a pretty sizable competitive difference. I mean just look at the Eastern Conference outside of Miami right now. It's a wreck. You arguably have only 10-12 good teams out of 30, expanding to 31/32 would not make much sense right now.

Again, I think a LAC to SEA move is a long shot.. but I think it's the best chance that's been out there.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• LAC to SEA will never happen. NBA will never approve a move to a much smaller market.

Not again, anyway.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Scottemojo wrote:LAC to SEA will never happen. NBA will never approve a move to a much smaller market.

Not again, anyway.

I don't think it will either. Even though it would be a truly poetic ending to all of this.

Ballmer should offer $2B for the hell of it though.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• If this were 1994 and the Clippers were still astoundingly bad I might be hopeful. However, it's 2014 and the Clippers are actually relevant in the NBA. I don't see any way that this happens.
    Kennedyin92
    NET Rookie

• Kennedyin92 wrote:If this were 1994 and the Clippers were still astoundingly bad I might be hopeful. However, it's 2014 and the Clippers are actually relevant in the NBA. I don't see any way that this happens.

More than likely not, I still think our best hope is Milwaukee not getting it's act together for an arena plan.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Maybe I'm irrational, but I think the NBA is now withholding a team from us for spiteful reasons. It's become a matter of principle for them.
    Kennedyin92
    NET Rookie

• Naive question. Why is Kevin Johnson (still Mayor of Sacramento, I thought) being involved with this for the players? I can understand he has connections as a former player, since that is what helped him saved the Kings for Sac-town, but seems odd that he is this involved? When does he come up for re-election SacHawk?

Anyway, I was wrong about what the NBA would do. They seem to have the ability to limit who can execute a binding sales contract and can limit a owner's business based on actions detrimental to the image of the league. Wierd how this audio motivated the new commish when prior acts were deemed not that big a deal by the previous commish.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    Wilson will sign for $18M+ (3/4/2014)
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• Kennedyin92 wrote:Maybe I'm irrational, but I think the NBA is now withholding a team from us for spiteful reasons. It's become a matter of principle for them.

Probably will have to wait until Stern is dead for a few decades before even thinking of a team here. The NBA here is most likely gone the way of St Louis, Kansas City, Cincinatti and Buffalo.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• Kennedyin92 wrote:Maybe I'm irrational, but I think the NBA is now withholding a team from us for spiteful reasons. It's become a matter of principle for them.

They are withholding a team from us until every team that needs a new arena, gets one.
    DynoHawk
    NET Veteran

• Read into this as you may
    Attachments
    image.jpg
    image.jpg (114.16 KiB) Viewed 253 times
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• drdiags wrote:Naive question. Why is Kevin Johnson (still Mayor of Sacramento, I thought) being involved with this for the players? I can understand he has connections as a former player, since that is what helped him saved the Kings for Sac-town, but seems odd that he is this involved? When does he come up for re-election SacHawk?

Anyway, I was wrong about what the NBA would do. They seem to have the ability to limit who can execute a binding sales contract and can limit a owner's business based on actions detrimental to the image of the league. Wierd how this audio motivated the new commish when prior acts were deemed not that big a deal by the previous commish.

He's a liaison for the Player's Association.
    Kennedyin92
    NET Rookie

• Kennedyin92 wrote:

He's a liaison for the Player's Association.

Sure, but shouldn't he first be the Mayor for Sacramento? Seems like a conflict of interest.
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• Honestly, I think the liaison job was just a way for the NBA to stroke his ego after the Sacramento kerfuffle.
    Kennedyin92
    NET Rookie

• Throwdown wrote:Read into this as you may

Well, they can't really say anything until 3/4 of the owners vote him out completely.

I did read that Silver would actually control the sale/purchase of the Clippers if (likely when at this point) Sterling is removed as owner. So I'd say there is a 0.1% chance of Ballmer/Hansen getting a shot.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• Kennedyin92 wrote:Honestly, I think the liaison job was just a way for the NBA to stroke his ego after the Sacramento kerfuffle.

Yeah, that is what I am thinking. He got the hero's celebration, helping to save the day with the help of the Commish and local buyers. Just figured he would concentrate back on his city's non-sports issues and not feel the need to get involved with this issue, though Chris Paul did call him. Most likely, if he chooses not to run for re-election or is term-limited, he must be planning to get involved with the NBA working within the league office.
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• Hasselbeck wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:Read into this as you may

Well, they can't really say anything until 3/4 of the owners vote him out completely.

I did read that Silver would actually control the sale/purchase of the Clippers if (likely when at this point) Sterling is removed as owner. So I'd say there is a 0.1% chance of Ballmer/Hansen getting a shot.

That would be a disaster for the league if they run Sterling out of town, then end up having to take a Seattle offer. The Clipper fans could file a class-action suit since the side-affect of forcing Sterling to sell would be they lost the team to another city.
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• -0% chance Clippers are sold to Hansen/Ballmer.
    SUPER BOWL 48 CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!

RIP ROAD WOES 12/2/2012
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

• SonicHawk wrote:-0% chance Clippers are sold to Hansen/Ballmer.

I'm getting the feeling that H/b/n isn't even gonna bother with this one.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Throwdown wrote:
    SonicHawk wrote:-0% chance Clippers are sold to Hansen/Ballmer.

Yeah, I doubt Hansen would even attempt to get the Clippers. After the whole Kings debacle, I just don't see the NBA returning for a long time if ever.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Blitzer88 wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:

Yeah, I doubt Hansen would even attempt to get the Clippers. After the whole Kings debacle, I just don't see the NBA returning for a long time if ever.

Its not that at all, its just... You don't want to be THAT guy right now, and aside from the ownership situation, there's no reason at all for the Clippers to leave LA, there's no arena problem, the team is good, and has insanely marketable players. This is just a battle that isn't worth fighting for Hansen & Ballmer, and I think it'd be a one way ticket to fall out of favor with NBA owners that they're trying to build good will with.

I hope they leave the situation alone.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• drdiags wrote:
    Kennedyin92 wrote:Honestly, I think the liaison job was just a way for the NBA to stroke his ego after the Sacramento kerfuffle.

Yeah, that is what I am thinking. He got the hero's celebration, helping to save the day with the help of the Commish and local buyers. Just figured he would concentrate back on his city's non-sports issues and not feel the need to get involved with this issue, though Chris Paul did call him. Most likely, if he chooses not to run for re-election or is term-limited, he must be planning to get involved with the NBA working within the league office.

He's currently a chairman in the NBAP, so his involvement is not exactly a surprise. He's a mayor, but that never stopped him from involving himself with basketball. Well respected guy and like you said, many players requested him to take the lead of the NBAP for the case, so it makes sense that he did it.
    dontbelikethat
    NET Veteran

• I feel the opposite way. They should have sued the league to try and force expansion with the Kings, and they honestly are probably screwed if they don't take every chance they can get to acquire a team now by buying and suing if they are turned down for acquiring/moving it.

Getting in good with the owners isn't going to get them to expand. Milwaukee and Sacramento are off the table (though either arena deal could fall apart, admittedly). This is a sudden bonus chance they need to take advantage of. Either that or just sell off the SoDo land and scrap everything.
    "He's a *****. It's not that he was a *****, he is a *****, and that's why he hasn't won anything."
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

• Smelly McUgly wrote:I feel the opposite way. They should have sued the league to try and force expansion with the Kings, and they honestly are probably screwed if they don't take every chance they can get to acquire a team now by buying and suing if they are turned down for acquiring/moving it.

Getting in good with the owners isn't going to get them to expand. Milwaukee and Sacramento are off the table (though either arena deal could fall apart, admittedly). This is a sudden bonus chance they need to take advantage of. Either that or just sell off the SoDo land and scrap everything.

I don't get what suing would do. I mean if the NBA doesn't want to expand it's own entity, how can the law force them to? As much as it sucks, I think you have to "get good with the owners", because they decide everything collectively. You can't force ownership of a team (they vote on approval), you can't force relocation (they vote on approval), just don't know what HBN can do. It's a tough spot to be in, but I guess being patient and jumping on an opportunity when it arises is all they can do if they still want a team. Also just hate idea of expansion, league has a lot of spot filers on the roster as is, the East has teams that aren't even .500 in/contending for the playoffs, don't want to see a more watered down league. Maybe times are just changing, really miss how it was in the early to mid 2000's.
    dontbelikethat
    NET Veteran

• dontbelikethat wrote:
    Smelly McUgly wrote:I feel the opposite way. They should have sued the league to try and force expansion with the Kings, and they honestly are probably screwed if they don't take every chance they can get to acquire a team now by buying and suing if they are turned down for acquiring/moving it.

I don't get what suing would do. I mean if the NBA doesn't want to expand it's own entity, how can the law force them to? As much as it sucks, I think you have to "get good with the owners", because they decide everything collectively. You can't force ownership of a team (they vote on approval), you can't force relocation (they vote on approval), just don't know what HBN can do. It's a tough spot to be in, but I guess being patient and jumping on an opportunity when it arises is all they can do if they still want a team. Also just hate idea of expansion, league has a lot of spot filers on the roster as is, the East has teams that aren't even .500 in/contending for the playoffs, don't want to see a more watered down league. Maybe times are just changing, really miss how it was in the early to mid 2000's.

I can't find a good link right now, but look up how the Tampa Bay Rays came into existence when a Tampa group got their purchase/move of the Giants nixed and they threatened to sue. That's just one example.
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

• Yeah seems hard to find a any info regarding their purchase.
    dontbelikethat
    NET Veteran

• dontbelikethat wrote:Yeah seems hard to find a any info regarding their purchase.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1 ... 94,1708729

We had the Kings - should have sued then. The Sonics would be playing here in 2017 if they did.
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

• They would've played here this year, the plan is to play the two years in KeyArena with league approved temporary upgrades while the arena is built.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Hasselbeck wrote:I mean.. from the leagues standpoint.. what were the two black eyes on the NBA as of today?

- Sterling

- The Seattle situation

He can fix both. Instantly.

DO IT ADAM.

Trust me, he doesn't have the balls to do it. He won't make the Clipper fanbase suffer with losing their team because they have a racist owner. Besides that, common sense and corporate America - Pro sports leagues are rare.
    42-13, 29-3, and 23-17 and a Lombardi trophy from THIS millennium.....deal with it niner trolls

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• Smelly McUgly wrote:
    dontbelikethat wrote:Yeah seems hard to find a any info regarding their purchase.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1 ... 94,1708729

We had the Kings - should have sued then. The Sonics would be playing here in 2017 if they did.

Yep, the nuclear option should have been exercised!
    42-13, 29-3, and 23-17 and a Lombardi trophy from THIS millennium.....deal with it niner trolls

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• Throwdown wrote:They would've played here this year, the plan is to play the two years in KeyArena with league approved temporary upgrades while the arena is built.

Sorry for being vague, I mean that if HBN had sued, they well might have been granted expansion to avoid court. I would assume they would have held off until '17 (or '16, I guess, if the arena could have been built in two years).
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

• Oh then yeah, usually takes about 2 years for an expansion team to get off the ground lol
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Umm... Ballmer just taking in the sights?
    Attachments
    image.jpg
    image.jpg (60.24 KiB) Viewed 150 times
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Throwdown wrote:
    Blitzer88 wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:

Its not that at all, its just... You don't want to be THAT guy right now, and aside from the ownership situation, there's no reason at all for the Clippers to leave LA, there's no arena problem, the team is good, and has insanely marketable players. This is just a battle that isn't worth fighting for Hansen & Ballmer, and I think it'd be a one way ticket to fall out of favor with NBA owners that they're trying to build good will with.

I hope they leave the situation alone.

Agreed!
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• I hate to say this, but Donald Sterling being a miserable bastard is our key back into the league. He's a salty dude and will try to get the highest amount of cash possible on the way out, screwing the league on the way if he can. He's not some chump like the Maloofs are in that way.

HBN need to jump in here, outbid everyone, and Sterling can let the league know that he's only taking one offer, and that's the HBN one. Then, when the NBA tries their little end-around again, sue. Best case, we get the Clips. Likely case, they give us expansion to go away and avoid an ugly lawsuit.

I would never want to badmouth Hansen or Ballmer, but they didn't get exactly who they were dealing with the first time around. The league plays dirty. You have to play dirty pool right back if you want to get anywhere with them. Those are the only tactics that they understand. If they don't want to do this, I get it, but then they are back to hoping for a Sacramento or Milwaukee arena deal collapse - not out of the question, but a long shot.

Silver let them know that expansion isn't coming; they have to rip a team away and move them. It's ugly, but hey, other people have done it to us.
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

• Throwdown wrote:I've been in Silver's corner since February when he took the job, today he impressed me by taking a hard line stance.

Not me anymore. I remember before he said something about considering expansion before he became commissioner then as soon as he became commissioner he said the league has no plans of expansion.
    dopeboy206
    NET Starter

• dopeboy206 wrote:

Not me anymore. I remember before he said something about considering expansion before he became commissioner then as soon as he became commissioner he said the league has no plans of expansion.

He said immediate plans, and you can't expand making there no threat to pre existing markets to lose their team to if they don't fix their arena situation, and the TV contracts are still being negotiated. Seriously makes no sense to make expansion an option.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Throwdown wrote:Umm... Ballmer just taking in the sights?

dontbelikethat
    NET Veteran

• And yet, nobody seems at all curious why his wife/girlfriend decided to release this now. Surely it couldn't have been the first or only second time it happened. Why be okay with it until now? Why continue to see him if it is so morally reprehensible? Perhaps he was getting bored with his toy and she knew she'd never inherit anything so grab what you can before the door slams shut.

She set him up, got him talking, recorded it and then released it to the media so all the peasants could do their pitchfork and torch thing. And sure as day, it went entirely according to her plan.

What's most funny to me is that she shares his views but literally nobody is smart enough to realize they are being played like a chump. At least the media is doing it for money. The masses buy in because they are too angry and stupid to realize when they're being gamed.

We live in a world where privacy and discretion are dead. Where you can be fired or harassed for the most minor errors, simply to keep the peasants happy and the media paid. George Orwell would say he told you so.
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran

• HansGruber wrote:And yet, nobody seems at all curious why his wife/girlfriend decided to release this now. Surely it couldn't have been the first or only second time it happened. Why be okay with it until now? Why continue to see him if it is so morally reprehensible? Perhaps he was getting bored with his toy and she knew she'd never inherit anything so grab what you can before the door slams shut.

She set him up, got him talking, recorded it and then released it to the media so all the peasants could do their pitchfork and torch thing. And sure as day, it went entirely according to her plan.

What's most funny to me is that she shares his views but literally nobody is smart enough to realize they are being played like a chump. At least the media is doing it for money. The masses buy in because they are too angry and stupid to realize when they're being gamed.

We live in a world where privacy and discretion are dead. Where you can be fired or harassed for the most minor errors, simply to keep the peasants happy and the media paid. George Orwell would say he told you so.

Yeah, but once it got out, the NBA had no choice in the matter. They did what had to be done, no?
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• HansGruber wrote:She set him up, got him talking, recorded it and then released it to the media so all the peasants could do their pitchfork and torch thing. And sure as day, it went entirely according to her plan.

1) Who do you mean by 'she' .. Sterling's wife? Or this side piece? If you mean the model/gold digger he's spewing all this racist crap to on the tape.. there's probably a 0% chance she shared the same views being a bi-racial person :lol:

2) We do indeed live in that world you described.. but that doesn't excuse Sterling, or anyone for that matter, for sharing these views with anyone. And considering this man is an owner, one of the most powerful titles in sports, overseeing a league that is largely African-American.. having a guy like that in power in 2014.. AFTER these tapes dropped, would have caused borderline mutiny. Adam Silver did the right thing in banning this guy from the league and there's no question 75% of the owners give this guy the boot - hell after this PR nightmare, I would be shocked if weren't a unanimous vote.
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

PreviousNext

It is currently Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:40 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information