NBA investigates Clippers owner Donald Sterling for racism

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13

• An audio recording purportedly of Los Angeles Clippers owner Donald Sterling making racist remarks to his girlfriend is being investigated by the National Basketball Association.

In the recording, the man believed to be Sterling questions his girlfriend, V. Stiviano, about her association with minorities. TMZ reports that Stiviano, who is black and Mexican, posted a picture of her with Magic Johnson on Instagram, a photo that has since been removed.

"It bothers me a lot that you want to broadcast that you're associating with black people. Do you have to?" the man believed to be Sterling says. He continues, "You can sleep with [black people]. You can bring them in, you can do whatever you want. The little I ask you is not to promote it on that ... and not to bring them to my games."

http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/stor ... d-sterling

I wanna know why you think you can coach these ni**ers.

(To potential coach Rollie Massimino, 1983)

That's because of all the blacks in this building, they smell, they're not clean.

(To a property supervisor, 2002, sworn testimony.)

And it's because of all of the Mexicans that just sit around and smoke and drink all day.

(Ibid.)

I don't like Mexican men because they smoke, drink and just hang around the house.

(Ibid.)

Is she one of those black people that stink? [...] Just evict the bi**h.

(Ibid.)

I'm offering a lot of money for a poor black kid.

(On negotiations to sign Danny Manning, 1988, allegedly in David Stern's presence.)

I don't have to spend any more money on them, they will take whatever conditions I give them and still pay the rent.

http://deadspin.com/your-complete-quota ... socialflow
    20% off Karmaloop & 10% off PLNDR, rep code: DUCK20
    dontbelikethat
    NET Veteran

• No words for him.

Kick him out, sell the team to Hansen, move em to Seattle.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Throwdown wrote:No words for him.

This makes too much sense.

So it won't happen.

Fun to dream though. CP3 and Blake in Sonic colors would be amazing
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• What is the deal with racist people really wanting to have sex with members of the race that they dislike?
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

--Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

That would be great, but no way will it happen.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Am I wrong for laughing at him trying to not sound racist but still ending up sounding more racist?
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Throwdown wrote:Am I wrong for laughing at him trying to not sound racist but still ending up sounding more racist?

Unimaginable incompetence is fine to laugh at throw.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• see you in hell Donald! This does bring up the question as to what to do with the team? What will Silver do now that he is the man in charge? This is a perfect opportunity for him to establish himself as the new sheriff. I am sure there are plenty of buyers in the socal area, but it does beg the question as to what the hell do you do with the team now?
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• LA doesn't need 2 teams... lol

Its a good question though, Sterling cannot stay in this league after this. He's withstood other instances of racist, but this is insane.

I dunno why they asked LeBron about it, but LeBron sent shots with "there's no room for Donald Sterling in this league"
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Earvin Magic Johnson ‏@MagicJohnson

TMZ reported this morning that Clippers owner Donald Sterling doesn't want me or other African-Americans to come to Clippers games.

.@cjbycookie and I will never go to a Clippers game again as long as Donald Sterling is the owner.

I feel sorry for my friends Coach Doc Rivers and Chris Paul that they have to work for a man that feels that way about African Americans.

LA Clippers owner Donald Sterling's comments about African Americans are a black eye for the NBA.
    Last edited by dontbelikethat on Sat Apr 26, 2014 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    dontbelikethat
    NET Veteran

• in 2009??? After his whole apartment thing where I think he charged minorities more than whites?
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Throwdown wrote:in 2009??? After his whole apartment thing where I think he charged minorities more than whites?

Yup...

Back in 2009...
    Clippers owner Donald Sterling, accused of racism and embracing a "vision of a Southern plantation-type structure" in a lawsuit filed in February by Elgin Baylor, will be given a lifetime achievement award next week by the NAACP....

http://articles.latimes.com/2009/may/06 ... /sp-crowe6
    dontbelikethat
    NET Veteran

• The same Elgin Baylor that worked for Sterling for 22 years.....hmm weird :snack:
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• m0ng0 wrote:The same Elgin Baylor that worked for Sterling for 22 years.....hmm weird :snack:

Is that a point you're trying to make? That having a black employee makes you not racist?
    I enjoy ruining threads by making them about personal attacks and then commenting about how personal attacks make the other person's argument invalid.

:les:
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

• They should force him to sell, there are ways to do it, players can also boycott due to unacceptable working conditions and that they are under duress. Shut the team down basically. He may balk but with media, league and other leverage from groups he won't have a choice other then lose money big time.

The Hansen thing isn't so far fetched really, this is a chance to get in, also their really isn't a need for both the Clippers and Lakers to play in the same building. I'm sure the Lakers would love having them go North.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• m0ng0 wrote:The same Elgin Baylor that worked for Sterling for 22 years.....hmm weird :snack:

Yeah, but If I remember correctly their was always something going on their. I remember one situation where there was a story where something was said about where do you think you can get hired as GM being black in the league, also he was under paying him a lot versus other GM's also.

I think Elgin was trying to keep the door open for others of color to get into NBA Mangement, pity they were so bad for so long, I'm not sure who was behind the constant trading of the players there once they showed promise and the contracts came up.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• If the NBA doesn't do something about this then it has become a larger joke than most think it is already.

R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• Clippers fans didn't exist prior to 2010.

I read his wife is very involved in the management of the team, wonder if she divorced him she could essentially seize control, certainly would have a case in court. Could end up being similar to what happened with the Dodgers.
    hieroglyphics
    NET Practice Squad

• I mean there is the NBA's nuclear option where they pretty much write a check for Sterling whether he accepts or not, and cease control of the team. They've never done this before. They have bought the Hornets back from George Shinn a few years back, but wasn't a hostile take over. I think the NBA could exercise this option in this instance.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Throwdown wrote:I mean there is the NBA's nuclear option where they pretty much write a check for Sterling whether he accepts or not, and cease control of the team. They've never done this before. They have bought the Hornets back from George Shinn a few years back, but wasn't a hostile take over. I think the NBA could exercise this option in this instance.

You think Silver has the guts to do it?
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• SonicHawk wrote:
    m0ng0 wrote:The same Elgin Baylor that worked for Sterling for 22 years.....hmm weird :snack:

Is that a point you're trying to make? That having a black employee makes you not racist?

no not at all, but in 22 years Baylor had two winning seasons and amassed a win-loss record of 607 and 1153.
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• I don't think ANY commish has the guts to do it, unless its Bud Selig, he did that with Expos I believe, I think even the Rangers.

Things would have to get insanely ridiculous for it to happen, but its an option that should be considered in this situation. You're talking about a league that is predominantly played by, and its super stars are african-american. The franchise could be in trouble when it comes to acquiring and keeping players now, meaning a lot of issues. IMO one way or another, Sterling has gotta be pushed out of the NBA.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• I wonder what the GF's reason was for recording that phone call? Sterling doesn't seem too sharp but why was the GF trying to entrap him? Sounds like he was her sugar daddy, just take down the Magic Instagram photo and continue to suck the money from the guy. Sterling seems to have the perfect plantation owner attitude, because it must be tough to endow people you despise to such depth.

Sounds like Sterling was more concerned about his image than whether his GF boinked the black guys he says she was hanging with. Just don't provide evidence. I doubt the NBA does anything with him. Seems Stern knew what type of guy he was for a long time and he couldn't do much to get Sterling out as owner.

I don't think the recording can be used to help remove him as owner.
    Last edited by drdiags on Sun Apr 27, 2014 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

• You're probably right, 'specially if it was recorded without his knowing.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Silver does not have the balls to straight up seize the team from him, remember Silver is an employee of the NBA. If even a few owners feel the NBA is out of line in taking a team away from someone, whether its legal or not, he could cost himself his own job. They'll look for loopholes to push him out of the league. Send him a fine for $50 million.
    hieroglyphics
    NET Practice Squad

• Throwdown wrote:Am I wrong for laughing at him trying to not sound racist but still ending up sounding more racist?

Kind of like the cattle rancher in Nevada that was trying to take on the BLM, and all of the extremist morons running to his aid, and now the political shows and politicians that sided with him can't run away fast enough.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• hieroglyphics wrote:Silver does not have the balls to straight up seize the team from him, remember Silver is an employee of the NBA. If even a few owners feel the NBA is out of line in taking a team away from someone, whether its legal or not, he could cost himself his own job. They'll look for loopholes to push him out of the league. Send him a fine for $50 million.

Silver's balls are in David Stern's purse! 8)

Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• Throwdown wrote:You're probably right, 'specially if it was recorded without his knowing.

She is going to end up looking like the gold digger she is when this is all over. Ferrarri, cash, nice digs.

Sterling has reached that disconnect/age when even the stuff he says that he thinks is nice and enlightened sounds racist.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• Christ. Guess we'll see what Silver's made of here real soon. Hernia's probably correct that Silver's nuts are in Stern's purse. So Adam, you man or a pussy?
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

Proud member of the 38 club
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• Deadspin released more excerpts from that tape.. And it's getting even worse for Sterling if that's possible.

The man is finished as an owner. Mark my words. No one will want to play there anymore until he is gone. And that's a very dangerous place for a major market team to be in from the NBA's standpoint. Silver may not have the "guts" but he'll have no other choice if Doc Rivers quits and Chris Paul, Blake Griffin, and every other player that's offended by those statements takes a stand when their season ends.
    February 2, 2014... the day the dream was finally realized
    Hasselbeck
    * NET Sage *

• Hasselbeck wrote:Deadspin released more excerpts from that tape.. And it's getting even worse for Sterling if that's possible.

Just including the link.

http://deadspin.com/exclusive-the-exten ... 1568291249

V: Do you know that you have a whole team that's black, that plays for you?

DS: You just, do I know? I support them and give them food, and clothes, and cars, and houses. Who gives it to them? Does someone else give it to them? Do I know that I have—Who makes the game? Do I make the game, or do they make the game? Is there 30 owners, that created the league?
    dontbelikethat
    NET Veteran

• Scottemojo wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:You're probably right, 'specially if it was recorded without his knowing.

She is going to end up looking like the gold digger she is when this is all over. Ferrarri, cash, nice digs.

Sterling has reached that disconnect/age when even the stuff he says that he thinks is nice and enlightened sounds racist.

Doesn't she already look like a gold digger being with a rich 80 year old?
    mbtitleist
    NET Rookie

• Smelly McUgly wrote:What is the deal with racist people really wanting to have sex with members of the race that they dislike?

I wondered this myself.
    Greenhell
    NET Veteran

• Smelly McUgly wrote:What is the deal with racist people really wanting to have sex with members of the race that they dislike?

Maybe they're envious?
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

• hot chicks over everything
    bryantology79
    NET Starter

• He wouldnt pay his players, because they were black.
    BlueBlood
    NET Veteran

• I guess they didn't get the memo. ;)

Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

• Sad thing is, Sterling will make a huge profit when/if he is forced to sell the team.
    He will profit from this, which is sad and wrong.

Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Ha Ha..Just like you for the "Solution"..There is nowhere to move them here,yet anyway.I can't see the NBA allowing that move to happen..Maybe if it was were they used to be..(Buffalo Braves)..Anyway it's clear the owner is a racist clown and there is no place in any sport for him...
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

• I said that as tongue in cheek.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Throwdown wrote:I said that as tongue in cheek.

Yeah but think about it, Lakers share their market, they won't have to, creates a situation where a leveraged buy is available and also remedies the black eye of the Sonics. Clippers fans may not be all that happy but then again most have not been since the Braves moved to San Diego other then the last few years where Sterling finally got to L.A. and spent money after being a miser.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:I said that as tongue in cheek.

Yeah but think about it, Lakers share their market, they won't have to, creates a situation where a leveraged buy is available and also remedies the black eye of the Sonics............

Yep, it's an excellent solution. That of course means the NBA wouldn't even consider it.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

Proud member of the 38 club
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

• See, if Hansen were smart, he would have been less honest in the first place. Too late to pull off an "OF COURSE I WANT TO KEEP THEM IN [SACRAMENTO/MILWAUKEE/LOS ANGELES]" to get the team, followed by a "I NEED A BILLION-DOLLAR ARENA IN [REDDING/GREEN BAY/MALIBU]" demand that would never get filled so that he could move the team like he wants.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

--Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

• Sports Hernia wrote:Sad thing is, Sterling will make a huge profit when/if he is forced to sell the team.
    He will profit from this, which is sad and wrong.

He won't profit from this, he will profit from his original investment...thats not the same thing.
    Meeker
    NET Starter

• I am not sure on what grounds you all think he can be legally punished. From the quotes, as far as I can tell, it isn't hate speech. Racist? Most definitely. Hate speech? I don' t believe so. As long as none of his actions violate the protected classes under EO he can't really be touched other than suffering the backlash of public outrage and the disdain of his own players which he seems to have earned.
    Milehighhawk
    NET Rookie

• Didn't Marge Schott owner of the Reds have a simulaer situation, Baseball eventually forced her to sell if I remember correctly.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:Didn't Marge Schott owner of the Reds have a simulaer situation, Baseball eventually forced her to sell if I remember correctly.

I believe in that case they technically didn't force her to sell but did ban her from directly managing the team. Perhaps the NBA could explore a similar avenue.
    Milehighhawk
    NET Rookie

Next

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 5:36 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information