NBA STARS..Past vs Present

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
NBA STARS..Past vs Present
Tue Apr 01, 2014 4:26 pm
  • Just curious if the younger NBA fans in here think their stars of today would hang with the ones of the past such as Wilt,MJ,Oscar,Magic and Bird for example..I think Lebron and Kobe (younger) could but they wouldn't be ahead of any of these guys in my book..I haven't seen one center from the 80's up who could have stopped Wilt and old kareem doesn't count..MJ -who today could stop him?A young MJ blows by anyone..An older one outsmarts everyone..I have to say I got really spoiled by great players back in the day :D
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Re: NBA STARS..Past vs Present
Tue Apr 01, 2014 7:09 pm
  • The athletes in today's NBA are ridiculous. Those guys were great players and could have been great in this era today, but it wouldn't be easy for them.
    I enjoy ruining threads by making them about personal attacks and then commenting about how personal attacks make the other person's argument invalid.

:les:
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:09 am
  • SonicHawk wrote:The athletes in today's NBA are ridiculous. Those guys were great players and could have been great in this era today, but it wouldn't be easy for them.

the game has changed as well... its so much more individual than it was in the 80s and 90s. the rules that basically eliminated defense have changed the emphasis on the types of players the league is developing.

a better question may be what starts from today (Lebron, Durant, Kobe, Paul, etc) would be successful in the defensive eras of the late 80s, early 90s? Imagine those players trying to break down the Pistons or Knicks defenses, or running the lane against the Rockets? trying to play offense AND defense against the Sonics.

Kobe and Lebron would be stars, but maybe not "super" stars. Paul against Payton or Isiah? Durant trying to free himself up against Lambeer/Wilkins etc?
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:01 am
  • I don't think there's any question that the studs of today would be studs of yesteryear.
    I enjoy ruining threads by making them about personal attacks and then commenting about how personal attacks make the other person's argument invalid.

SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:00 am
  • SonicHawk wrote:I don't think there's any question that the studs of today would be studs of yesteryear.

i dont know, games a lot different now. certain players might struggle to reach that Elite status. if you threw Chris Paul, Kobe, Lebron, Howard, Wade, Allen, Garnett, Durant, Westbrook, Griffin into the late 80s early 90s era of the NBA, how many make all star games ahead of the likes of Payton and Kemp, Jordan/Pippen, Olujuwon, Barkley, Ewing, Isiah/Dumars, that Lakers squad, that Celtics squad, Wilkins, Drexler?

Lebron and Kobe for sure. the others would be interesting. fun to speculate.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:06 pm
  • I think Shaq could keep up Wilt & Kareem. Not the technician Kareem was, and Wilt had an advantage with his era, but Shaq was a freak of nature with his size (insanely tall & strong) and ability. Dude was a monster when he was in his prime/young.

I think Durant could also succeed. Offensive machine.
    20% off Karmaloop & 10% off PLNDR, rep code: DUCK20
    dontbelikethat
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:03 pm
  • LeBron could, easily, and he'd still be a superstar.

Kobe came in during the changing of the guard, I think he'd be fine as well.

Durant does stuggle if someone gets physical with him, like LeBron does. I'd say he'd be a great player, but superstar? i don't know about that.

A GP vs CP3 would be intriguing as hell to watch though.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:22 pm
  • SonicHawk wrote:The athletes in today's NBA are ridiculous. Those guys were great players and could have been great in this era today, but it wouldn't be easy for them.

The guys in past like Wilt and Jordan.Would have an easier time with todays soft defenses ..The training and conditioning would help them too..I think they would be beasts today just as they were then..
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 02, 2014 2:26 pm
  • Didn't Wilt average like 40 a game one season?
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:04 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:Didn't Wilt average like 40 a game one season?

Yeah, but this is coming toward the era of point inflation and lots of shots per game. Oscar Robertson averaged a triple-double for a whole season in the early '70s.

Today's stars would more than hang with the stars of the past. Most past stars only wish they had the mix of size, length, quickness, and speed that guys like Durant and LeBron do, not to mention that those two are incredibly smart players on top of it.

My favorite non-Sonic player of all time is Magic because he had the size and length to play in the post, but the speed, intelligence, and court vision to play the point. The dude went for 42 and 9 playing four positions in an NBA Finals game. That is one of the greatest individual sports performances I have ever had the privilege of watching in my life. I say this because if you put current Durant or LeBron in that position, they might go for 50/15/8 in that same position. They are Magic, but athletically superior. That is a scary thought.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

--Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:27 pm
  • Mine was Olajuwon, dude was ridiculous as a big man, and he had handles!
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:46 pm
  • Funny enough, I was going off about Jordan and Olajuwon in that post before I deleted it. Olajuwon had amazing agility, crazy-good footwork, and could also hit a jumper from 17-feet or in consistently, and that's besides being a great defender. I don't think any of the big men that I've seen in college in the past decade could hang with him. I think it's him or Tim Duncan for best center ever considering the ridiculous talent they have to go against in the modern era compared to whom Wilt or Russell had to play against, but Olajuwon had to beat Robinson, Ewing, Mutombo, O'Neal etc., and basically better all around talent at center in his time.

I lived in San Antonio during the David Robinson/Sean Elliott (and later Robinson/Rodman, and then once again Robinson/Elliott) days as a kid, and Olajuwon would just destroy Robinson, a fine center in his own right, every time out. It became a running theme.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 02, 2014 4:54 pm
  • It's sad how far the big men have fallen since the 90s. There's a few good ones like Marc Gasol, DeMarcus Cousins, and Dwight Howard. But we just don't see em anymore, the one and done culture in the NCAA might have something to do with it IMO.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:05 pm
  • On the flip side, there are a lot more guys in the 6'5 - 6'9 range that have real ballhandling skills. Before I stopped watching, I would love watching LeBron, who can legit play four positions. Durant can do it, I know. I see more SF/PF types coming up in college that can do it.

But yeah, I miss the pure big man. In the '90s, they were all different, too. Robinson was the jump shooter, Olajuwon had the footwork in the post; Ewing was the traditional post-up center; Mutombo was shaky on offense, but was an all time shot-blocker; O'Neal was the raw athletic freak...what a great decade for basketball.

Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:10 pm
  • Its too bad Sabonis had the body of a 50 year old by the time Portland finally got him!
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 02, 2014 5:14 pm
  • Arvydas Sabonis! Nice second-tier center. He was a sweet shooter.

Even the second-tier centers were fun to watch. Sabonis, Perkins, Smits, Divac all had their strengths.

Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:20 pm
  • LeBron would have scored 150 points a game if he was transported in history to Chamberlain days.

Defense in the 80's and 90's was certainly more physical, but let's not pretend like the players today couldn't physically handle it... because they could. They just call the game far more closely nowadays.

SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:12 pm
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:Arvydas Sabonis! Nice second-tier center. He was a sweet shooter.

Even the second-tier centers were fun to watch. Sabonis, Perkins, Smits, Divac all had their strengths.

Sabonis could have been the best ever (his body of work in the nba says otherwise), he was like a point center. Sadly his best days were behind him when Portland got him and he was flat out amazing for a big.
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Fri Apr 04, 2014 7:41 pm
  • I can tell all the people on here are fairly young. Le Bron could not handle the ball against the players of the 60's 70's and 80's. They would strip the ball easily. It is just too far for him to bend over and dribble. A 6'2" and under guard along with calls of palming, and only allowing a step and a half after stopping the dribble would limit even MJ. Watch the game now, and guys routinely take 3 steps, palm the ball, initiate contact and get defensive calls. Wilt would destroy Howard, as he did Jabbar. Bill Russell was not the only defensive wizard in the NBA in his day either, and Lanier was every bit the matchup problem O'neal was in his day. There are a lot more quality athletes in the league now, but the true quality does not match the numbers. The only thing better in the game today, is shooting accuracy. I would pay to see Durant try to run through a pick by Karl Malone, THAT would be worth the price of a ticket.
    jeremiah
    NET Bench Warmer

Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:04 am
  • IndyHawk, I agree with you. People forget how many good centers in the NBA there were in the Russell/Chamberlain year up until Akeem, and Parish. In my mind, Le Bron would make a nice 4 or 3, but as a "best ever" candidate, NAWWWW.
    jeremiah
    NET Bench Warmer

Sat Apr 05, 2014 10:44 am
  • Players of today don't have the heart to play the game like those of yesteryear, Willis Reed, Chamberlin, Baylor, Robinson, Jabbar, Lanier, Moses Malone, Bird, Magic, I can go on played defense, played hurt, played with all around skill sets like defense, passing, freethrow shooting, except Chamberlin, they played team ball as well and team defense. Gary Payton can be thrown in that mix as well. so many really. Go back to the 80's 70's and late 60's. It was a tougher game Wes Unseld was a tough SOB to get into the paint with yet wasn't a 7 footer either. Cowens another under 7 ft center that was a nightmare to play against because he was tough.

Todays players have a lot of flash and athletic ability, they don't have the heart and desire to get through a tough challange in my opinion, they have the quit mentality and blame game going on so much it really is sad. They think more about contracts then championships.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:21 pm
  • SonicHawk wrote:LeBron would have scored 150 points a game if he was transported in history to Chamberlain days.

Defense in the 80's and 90's was certainly more physical, but let's not pretend like the players today couldn't physically handle it... because they could. They just call the game far more closely nowadays.

Man thats something I can't agree with,for one thing no 3 point shots for Lebron and he won't get as many foul calls. He is not scoring 150 pts on Wilt..The guy was a shot blocking and rebounding machine..Throwdown he averaged 40+ multiple seasons..50 one year..Some of you may want to scroll through the you tube vids on Wilt..He was 7:3 300+ of solid muscle..He led the league in assists one year -1971 I think..He was the only one who could block Kareems skyhook..He taught Jordan the fadeaway..Bad knees slowed him down some later(Lakers) but he still was a great player..In fact in his late 40's he had teams in the 80's asking if wanted to comeback..He's my number 1 and as Jerry West said.."A player for the ages"..Throwdown-I liked the "dream "he impressed me with how much better he got after school..It wasn't about just dunks..Didn't he own Shaq?
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:29 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:Players of today don't have the heart to play the game like those of yesteryear, Willis Reed, Chamberlin, Baylor, Robinson, Jabbar, Lanier, Moses Malone, Bird, Magic, I can go on played defense, played hurt, played with all around skill sets like defense, passing, freethrow shooting, except Chamberlin, they played team ball as well and team defense. Gary Payton can be thrown in that mix as well. so many really. Go back to the 80's 70's and late 60's. It was a tougher game Wes Unseld was a tough SOB to get into the paint with yet wasn't a 7 footer either. Cowens another under 7 ft center that was a nightmare to play against because he was tough.

Todays players have a lot of flash and athletic ability, they don't have the heart and desire to get through a tough challange in my opinion, they have the quit mentality and blame game going on so much it really is sad. They think more about contracts then championships.

This is just comical. I'm not saying every star today would be a star 20-40 years ago, but to say that nobody currently playing has heart is hilarious.
    mbtitleist
    NET Starter

Sat Apr 05, 2014 3:32 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:Players of today don't have the heart to play the game like those of yesteryear, Willis Reed, Chamberlin, Baylor, Robinson, Jabbar, Lanier, Moses Malone, Bird, Magic, I can go on played defense, played hurt, played with all around skill sets like defense, passing, freethrow shooting, except Chamberlin, they played team ball as well and team defense. Gary Payton can be thrown in that mix as well. so many really. Go back to the 80's 70's and late 60's. It was a tougher game Wes Unseld was a tough SOB to get into the paint with yet wasn't a 7 footer either. Cowens another under 7 ft center that was a nightmare to play against because he was tough.

You nailed quite a lot on the head..I question todays players being better shooters though..I'll take a Pistol Pete,Larry Bird,Sam Perkins,Stockton and I know I'm missing so many others...But great to see I'm not the only one who see's the game for what it's become..One thing about"flash"if you did it back then..They had enforcers like Oakley and Lambier who would grab you by the neck and slam you ..Brutal stuff :lol:
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 05, 2014 4:10 pm
  • mbtitleist wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Players of today don't have the heart to play the game like those of yesteryear, Willis Reed, Chamberlin, Baylor, Robinson, Jabbar, Lanier, Moses Malone, Bird, Magic, I can go on played defense, played hurt, played with all around skill sets like defense, passing, freethrow shooting, except Chamberlin, they played team ball as well and team defense. Gary Payton can be thrown in that mix as well. so many really. Go back to the 80's 70's and late 60's. It was a tougher game Wes Unseld was a tough SOB to get into the paint with yet wasn't a 7 footer either. Cowens another under 7 ft center that was a nightmare to play against because he was tough.

This is just comical. I'm not saying every star today would be a star 20-40 years ago, but to say that nobody currently playing has heart is hilarious.

Very few, obviously your too young to know the players of those eras and the style of play. What you seen on the floor about giving it up for the team versus running to the bench for a hang nail. Guys making the last pass versus pulling up for a three, guys standing their ground on a driving player, guys actually working for a rebound and boxing out. Guys setting a pick and actually getting a pass off a roll and then a kick out pass when the defense collapsed. Guys doing transitional defense and handing off guys and picking up another rather then watching someone go one on one.

Bill Russell would make most of todays players look pedestrian, never had a great outside shot, then again he worked inside the paint so well he didn't need to develop one really but played every aspect of the game and could not be outworked.

If you took the bodies of current players and put the mental toughness and heart in them of the players in the past you would have a whole new level of basketball.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Apr 06, 2014 10:53 am
  • I don't want to dismiss people's opinions too out of here, but a lot the criticisms here are "BACK IN MY DAY" old dude crap. Bill Russell would get rolled by a dude like Hakeem Olajuwon, who had a shot, better footwork, and more size. Athletes get BETTER every year. You can talk about all the "WELL, GUYS BOXED OUT IN THE '70s" stuff you want, but the truth is that most of these guys played ball on courts with people that played tougher than the dudes of the '70s. Coming up in the neighborhood, they got their share of elbows, checks, etc. Acting like they're not tough or they have no heart, as if you can make the highest level of basketball in the world without having heart or real mental toughness, is just not true.

And before anyone says it, I have seen lots of basketball from the '60s, '70s, and '80s. I still have a ton of VHS tapes that the NBA put out with old games, old clips of games, etc. I was all about NBA games on ESPN Classic. I've seen the famous Willis Reed game, Walton limping up and down the court in Portland, the Bird and Magic teams of the '80s, etc. I just haven't totally romanticized this stuff like some of you posting here.

Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 06, 2014 11:12 am
  • Bill Russell played against Chamberlin, there isn't or has not been a more physical speciman at that position since he played. There has been some big men, but not one that looked like a body builder and could move as well as Chamberlin. Bill played him straight up and won how many championships? Russell was as smart of a player as there has been in the league and used that as his advantage over better athletes even then, Russell was a good athlete himself, just not a guy that was built like a brick.

Take a guy like Paul Silas, not physically intimidating to look at but owned the boards and was a enforcer of his day as well, smallish even by the standards back then. Played on smarts and grit.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Apr 06, 2014 12:14 pm
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:I don't want to dismiss people's opinions too out of here, but a lot the criticisms here are "BACK IN MY DAY" old dude crap. Bill Russell would get rolled by a dude like Hakeem Olajuwon, who had a shot, better footwork, and more size. Athletes get BETTER every year. You can talk about all the "WELL, GUYS BOXED OUT IN THE '70s" stuff you want, but the truth is that most of these guys played ball on courts with people that played tougher than the dudes of the '70s. Coming up in the neighborhood, they got their share of elbows, checks, etc. Acting like they're not tough or they have no heart, as if you can make the highest level of basketball in the world without having heart or real mental toughness, is just not true.

And before anyone says it, I have seen lots of basketball from the '60s, '70s, and '80s. I still have a ton of VHS tapes that the NBA put out with old games, old clips of games, etc. I was all about NBA games on ESPN Classic. I've seen the famous Willis Reed game, Walton limping up and down the court in Portland, the Bird and Magic teams of the '80s, etc. I just haven't totally romanticized this stuff like some of you posting here.

I get what you say about the romanticizing stuff ,I could care less about Reed limping
    out there myself..You say they get better every year but I can't agree because I haven't seen it..There are a couple today that could play in any era -Lebron and Durant but to be Superstars..I have doubts because of the rules such as no 3 point shots..Hard fouls,tight defenses and a big thing is being good at teamwork..I look at today and I just don't see it on both sides of the ball..Anyway I'm curious..Since you think they are so good today who do you put at every spot vs "the old guys who have no skills ect"..Name the best 5..
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Apr 06, 2014 6:05 pm
  • I don't know why you don't think these better athletes of today couldn't deal with hard fouling?

SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:25 am
  • SonicHawk wrote:I don't know why you don't think these better athletes of today couldn't deal with hard fouling?

Because the league basically looks like a European soccer match these days. Have you seen Bron get touched lately? Im not blaming it all on "todays" NBA. The star calls started way before now and IMO that was the begining of the downfall. It became very noticable during Jordans run. I dont recall it before but Im not that old either. The fact that K Love and Aldridge are the two best PF in the game and outside of D12 I cant name a true Center just tells you the state of the league. Im not saying better or worse really. Its dfferent and not for me. Watching 6'11" dudes make it rain from downtown isnt my thing.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:02 am
  • SonicHawk wrote:I don't know why you don't think these better athletes of today couldn't deal with hard fouling?

Because today's players are spoiled and look for every call to go for them. These kids today would literally cry at some of the fouls Jordan took back in the day of the Jordan Rules and no lay ups/dunks era
    Diezel Dawg
    NET Starter

Mon Apr 07, 2014 10:37 am

For me, im sure all of them could "handle" it...

but at what impact to their game? LeBron and Kobe might operate at the same level, but many of the modern players would strugle to hit the numbers they do today, atleast at first. Can you really see Durant going for 40 straight 25+ scoring games in the late 80s? Westbrook driving against Dumars or Payton? they'd find points, but maybe not at the level they can today. the game today wants scoring, as it did in the early to mid-80s (remember those old Golden State and Nugget teams?)

None of this is really a rip on either era, just a reflection of how the game and athlete have changed. There are alot of well known names of the 80s (Charles Oakley? Xavier McDaniel?) who i dont think would have much impact on todays game.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 07, 2014 11:53 am
  • Westbrook I think would be fine, that dude is strong as hell, he's a tank at the PG position.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Mon Apr 07, 2014 3:17 pm
  • Diezel Dawg wrote:
    SonicHawk wrote:I don't know why you don't think these better athletes of today couldn't deal with hard fouling?

Because today's players are spoiled and look for every call to go for them. These kids today would literally cry at some of the fouls Jordan took back in the day of the Jordan Rules and no lay ups/dunks era

This is a great point..."The Jordan Rules" that was some of the most brutal fouls I've ever seen..If anyone thinks Jordan had it easy ,it wasn't up to this point ..It was after this he started bulking up so he could absorb and deliver if needed..As for the players of today taking hits..They could if they had to but as some one said,how much would it affect their game?You get rattled and cofidence gets lowered knowing whats coming...There is no free pass..Does that make sense?In the past you had enforcers like Oakley,Shelton,X man and Silas was one ect..Today as another said it's more eroupean style I guess..Whatever it is- it's easier and softer and with 3 pointers..No enforcers are needed(too slow) there is no role for them..As another said and I'm with them..I have no desire to see 6:11 dudes shooting threes..I'm naming my top 5 right now that I have doubt would dominate today as in past.. Wilt,Hakeem,Bill,Magic and MJ
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 07, 2014 5:25 pm
  • IndyHawk wrote:
    Smelly McUgly wrote:I don't want to dismiss people's opinions too out of here, but a lot the criticisms here are "BACK IN MY DAY" old dude crap. Bill Russell would get rolled by a dude like Hakeem Olajuwon, who had a shot, better footwork, and more size. Athletes get BETTER every year. You can talk about all the "WELL, GUYS BOXED OUT IN THE '70s" stuff you want, but the truth is that most of these guys played ball on courts with people that played tougher than the dudes of the '70s. Coming up in the neighborhood, they got their share of elbows, checks, etc. Acting like they're not tough or they have no heart, as if you can make the highest level of basketball in the world without having heart or real mental toughness, is just not true.

I get what you say about the romanticizing stuff ,I could care less about Reed limping
    out there myself..You say they get better every year but I can't agree because I haven't seen it..There are a couple today that could play in any era -Lebron and Durant but to be Superstars..I have doubts because of the rules such as no 3 point shots..Hard fouls,tight defenses and a big thing is being good at teamwork..I look at today and I just don't see it on both sides of the ball..Anyway I'm curious..Since you think they are so good today who do you put at every spot vs "the old guys who have no skills ect"..Name the best 5..

Indy, I honestly could not do this because I don't watch the league. This is a question for Throw. I could probably put together a team of '90s All-Stars that smokes whoever people have from the '50s - 70s, though.

Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:04 pm
  • I mean if I was to go with 5 of this current crop of players in today's league?

C - Marc Gasol, pretty traditional big man with a mid range game to him
    PF - Anthony Davis, this is where it gets tough for me, there's so many variations of 4's in this league, it's hard to find one that I'd take for a traditional team. But I got a good feeling about Anthony Davis out of New Orleans, honorable mention to Lamarcus Aldridge.
    SF - LeBron James, I really don't think you can find another SF like him in ANY era.
    SG - Kobe Bryant, a healthy Kobe in his prime? Dude was/is deadly, you didn't want none of him if you had to deal with the Lakers in the clutch.
    PG - Chris Paul, a tough hard nosed defender who has the offensive awareness to make everyone better, a walking, talking double-double.

But I can see where Smelly is coming from, specially in the NBA & MLB, everyone thinks the era when they were kids was the best. I mean being 26, I have a major bias that favors the players of the 90's.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Mon Apr 07, 2014 8:15 pm
  • Moses Malone, Wilt, Bill Russell, Elgin Baylor, Maurice Lucas, Bob McAdoo, Kareem, Oscar Robinson, Dave Bing, Dennis Johnson, Earl Monroe, Charles Barkley. There are so many others to swap in and out, thats just off the top of my head.

This team would shut down that team becasue they could not score in the paint and the defense outside was glue. Other the Robinson, he's a pure scorer.

Game played by the rules not the superstar biased game. Todays stars would lose composure fast, hand checking is legal again also.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:14 pm
  • Yeah it's tough for me to rule out players from late 70's/80's and 90's..I stopped pretty much after 2000 in really keeping up but I was still a fan of playoffs ect..Throw is that a lineup thats going to beat half of Chris
    lineup?No offense but I will take his or mine but when I listed my 5- I meant "all time" of course I had other guys I liked..Pistol Pete was a one of a kind till booze messsed him up..Spencer Haywood -one of my favorite Sonics..I Thomas -the best small guard who played much bigger than he was..David Thompson -an exciting player (ex Sonic) till coke and knee injuries slowed him..Benard King -A great player till he blew his knee out...I loved Bob McAdoo-a great Buffalo Brave..When I was a kid in the summer me and best friend would pretend we was these guys on certain shots..Good memories
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 08, 2014 2:15 pm
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:
    IndyHawk wrote:
    Smelly McUgly wrote:I don't want to dismiss people's opinions too out of here, but a lot the criticisms here are "BACK IN MY DAY" old dude crap. Bill Russell would get rolled by a dude like Hakeem Olajuwon, who had a shot, better footwork, and more size. Athletes get BETTER every year. You can talk about all the "WELL, GUYS BOXED OUT IN THE '70s" stuff you want, but the truth is that most of these guys played ball on courts with people that played tougher than the dudes of the '70s. Coming up in the neighborhood, they got their share of elbows, checks, etc. Acting like they're not tough or they have no heart, as if you can make the highest level of basketball in the world without having heart or real mental toughness, is just not true.

Indy, I honestly could not do this because I don't watch the league. This is a question for Throw. I could probably put together a team of '90s All-Stars that smokes whoever people have from the '50s - 70s, though.

Go ahead I'd like to see it..
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:05 pm
  • PG: Payton, Stockton
    SG: Jordan, Drexler, Bryant
    SF: Pippen
    PF: Rodman, Barkley, Malone
    C: Olajuwon, O'Neal, Mutombo

Payton is one of the greatest defensive guards of all time, which overlooks his handles and shot. Stockton is a great facilitator who plays tough/dirty enough to match whoever you have at PG from the '70s.

Jordan can play the two or the three and is the GOAT. Pippen can play the one through the three. I can move those twos and threes around or play small if I want them to as well. IMO the greatest compliment I can give Pippen is that, giant chokejob aside, he had the Blazers within about ten minutes of going to an NBA Finals that they would have destroyed the Pacers in while playing the point. What a beast this dude was.

Defensively, my PF/C choices are nasty, plus they can all rebound. Rodman sort of shunned his shotmaking abilities and let them erode to become a mad rebounder, but Bill Russell, as great as he was for his day, isn't matching up to a team that throws Rodman and Barkley at him in rotation.

My big thing is who is standing up to the twos and threes on this team from the '60s and '70s? Maravich was a one-note player (though a hell of a shooter). Oscar Robertson was helped by inflated scoring in the '70s. George Gervin? I guess you could sneak Julius Erving in there or something.

Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Tue Apr 08, 2014 3:25 pm
  • I'm confused of what the actual question is here.

Do you want me to convince you that the guys from this era in their primes could beat the guys from the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s in their prime? I can't tell you that, because I don't know what the end result of the game would be, but I think it'd be a helluva game.

Do I think LeBron, Kobe, Tim Duncan, and Durant are up there? yes, yes I do, and I think they could play in those eras. No matter how tough you think those eras were, basketball is basketball. These dudes would've adapted and still had the same skill levels if you want to factor in that stuff instead of just looking at what they're doing.

But I do think the 90's team would wreck those teams that are being listed from prior eras to the 90's.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Wed Apr 09, 2014 10:52 am
  • Shaq would dominate any center in history. Wilt was playing against a lot of undersized white boys. Shaq would own him. Jordan would probably end up on Kobe and shut him down, then nobody would stop Jordan. Those two are the two best players in history. Kareem would be a more interesting deal because of that skyhook deal - he was sort of a Tim Duncan type.
    5 NINERS HEAD COACHES WHO COULD KEEP THE SEAHAWKS RIVALRY ALIVE
    http://cover32.com/seahawks/2014/12/17/ ... lry-alive/
    Follow me on Twitter:
    @George_OGorman
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:11 pm
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:PG: Payton, Stockton
    SG: Jordan, Drexler, Bryant
    SF: Pippen
    PF: Rodman, Barkley, Malone
    C: Olajuwon, O'Neal, Mutombo

Payton is one of the greatest defensive guards of all time, which overlooks his handles and shot. Stockton is a great facilitator who plays tough/dirty enough to match whoever you have at PG from the '70s.

Jordan can play the two or the three and is the GOAT. Pippen can play the one through the three. I can move those twos and threes around or play small if I want them to as well. IMO the greatest compliment I can give Pippen is that, giant chokejob aside, he had the Blazers within about ten minutes of going to an NBA Finals that they would have destroyed the Pacers in while playing the point. What a beast this dude was.

Defensively, my PF/C choices are nasty, plus they can all rebound. Rodman sort of shunned his shotmaking abilities and let them erode to become a mad rebounder, but Bill Russell, as great as he was for his day, isn't matching up to a team that throws Rodman and Barkley at him in rotation.

My big thing is who is standing up to the twos and threes on this team from the '60s and '70s? Maravich was a one-note player (though a hell of a shooter). Oscar Robertson was helped by inflated scoring in the '70s. George Gervin? I guess you could sneak Julius Erving in there or something.

Well your lineup would fight mine very hard..I like it..I was going to put Pippen in mine -can I change it?lol
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:24 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:I'm confused of what the actual question is here.

Do you want me to convince you that the guys from this era in their primes could beat the guys from the 60s, 70s, 80s and 90s in their prime? I can't tell you that, because I don't know what the end result of the game would be, but I think it'd be a helluva game.

Do I think LeBron, Kobe, Tim Duncan, and Durant are up there? yes, yes I do, and I think they could play in those eras. No matter how tough you think those eras were, basketball is basketball. These dudes would've adapted and still had the same skill levels if you want to factor in that stuff instead of just looking at what they're doing.

But I do think the 90's team would wreck those teams that are being listed from prior eras to the 90's.
    It was for fun to list the best lineup (mixed eras) You are right -it would be an awesome game..Your right also about basketball players adapting.That was my thinking when I hear the players today have more this or that..The great ones from the past would have the same things available to them if they played today and they would still be great ect..As for the 90's team the "dream team" they could hang with and beat a team of past greats but it wouldn't easy at all.
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 09, 2014 5:36 pm
  • Lords of Scythia wrote:Shaq would dominate any center in history. Wilt was playing against a lot of undersized white boys. Shaq would own him. Jordan would probably end up on Kobe and shut him down, then nobody would stop Jordan. Those two are the two best players in history. Kareem would be a more interesting deal because of that skyhook deal - he was sort of a Tim Duncan type.

Thats a misconception ..Wilt played against many centers of good height and weight and dominated them all ..I will have to find the link to prove this but it's out there..Shaq was slower,not as athletic and weaker than Wilt..But I understand you will go with what you saw..Oh and your Kareem skyhook..Wilt blocked those a few times..Only man who could do it..I agree with Jordan on Kobe..Skills aside Jordan just was a fierce gamer who hated to lose..
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Apr 09, 2014 7:42 pm
  • I will say this era of ball now doesn't have as many great players.

Lots of good ones, but only I'd say there's 3 guys that are true blue superstars, LeBron, Kobe, and Durant. And Kobe is nearing the end, hopefully this draft class brings in the next one with Wiggins since Parker is staying at Duke for at least another year.

I want to put Melo in there but I don't even think he's better than Paul George, who's still getting better every year.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Fri Apr 11, 2014 6:24 am
  • Throwdown wrote:I will say this era of ball now doesn't have as many great players.

Lots of good ones, but only I'd say there's 3 guys that are true blue superstars, LeBron, Kobe, and Durant. And Kobe is nearing the end, hopefully this draft class brings in the next one with Wiggins since Parker is staying at Duke for at least another year.

I want to put Melo in there but I don't even think he's better than Paul George, who's still getting better every year.

There have been endless comparisons of yesterday versus today's players. Mostly centered around LeBron James/Michael Jordan. I find it hard to compare athletes from different times as they are getting bigger stronger every year. I didn't think James compared to Jordan as a team player but am seeing I could be wrong there.

I do think the game today is centered mostly on individual players rather than the team game we older fans preferred. That's mostly the reason I quit watching the NBA long ago because to me guys like Kobe are allowed to play as a one man band. Michael Jordan at least did know how to give assists.

On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:21 am
  • Throw and Radish-Good stuff and I agree with both of you..Radish it's good to see someone who could give us the real insight to the players of the past..I know you say they are bigger and stronger..However would say..A Wilt Chamberlain be an exception?I say there hasn't been anyone like him and probaly never will be when you take everything he could do..I wonder if you can provide some insight because you likely saw him play..All I have is You Tube..Books..
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Apr 12, 2014 6:45 am
  • IndyHawk wrote:Throw and Radish-Good stuff and I agree with both of you..Radish it's good to see someone who could give us the real insight to the players of the past..I know you say they are bigger and stronger..However would say..A Wilt Chamberlain be an exception?I say there hasn't been anyone like him and probaly never will be when you take everything he could do..I wonder if you can provide some insight because you likely saw him play..All I have is You Tube..Books..

Wilt was a lot like the Jim Brown of basketball. He was just a big guy that few had an answer for. Without looking it up I believe Wilt scored 100 points in a game one time. That's hard to imagine in any era.

On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Sun Apr 13, 2014 10:05 am
  • If a player excelled in defense, he wouldn't do crap in today's NBA.

The NBA is a finesse league that puts more emphasis on scoring. These older players would foul out by the end of the first quarter, because you can't even breath on a dude without sending him to the line. I think MJ would convert well, because he's an offensive freak. He would still only be half the player he was, due to the fact he wouldn't have to play defense, haha.

Whenever I think of the modern NBA I don't see nearly as much star power across the entire league. Take a look the American Olympic team, they have dudes on there that would have ever made it in decades past. They had an unproven Anthony Davis (fresh out of college, with an injury) taking up a roster spot...pretty pathetic. Now that he's beasting it makes perfect sense, but that wasn't the case.

The NBA is marketed as Lebron vs ____________...fill in the team name, cause there aren't any stars going up against him night in and night out. If Lebron wasn't playing, the league would be kind of screwed (imho). When Kobe retires, it'll take yet another hit, unless one of these one and done players can actually make something of themselves (in terms of being a next level super star).

NCAA basketball is far more entertaining to me...and that's only because I like the college programs producing players...it has nothing to do with individuals or the game itself. Then again, I haven't cared about basketball in the last 5-10 years...the product is just weak. Now they're talking about adding advertisements to uniforms? PASS.

Go Hawks.
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 9:32 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information