Is Salk coming back?

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
Re: Is Salk coming back?
Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:56 am
  • pinksheets wrote:
    davidonmi wrote:
    seahawk 17 wrote:Please replace Mitch, he is the worst.

first off me mentioning KJR was mostly a joke, it's 710 or he isn't coming back.
    2nd off IMO Mitch is the best at that station, which isn't saying a whole lot. I wouldn't mind just terminating that station and having 1090 be local all day. Sandmeyer/Churchill/Swartz is probably the best show in town

I think Mitch is one of the few talents on Seattle sports radio. I love his show, I can find Furness and Puckett enjoyable, and I like Sandmeyer. Elise and Jerry sounds like public access, I love Softy's heart but he gets obnoxious fast, and 710 is pretty much unlistenable without Salk.

What's to love about Mitch? The way he tells stories and constantly repeats things is downright nauseating.
    Super Bowl Champions

Conference Champions
    2005, 2013

Division Champions
    1988, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2013

"Hell no! I wanna go get my rang!"
    Seahawks1983
    NET Starter

Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:00 am
  • Steve Sandmeyer? STEVE SANDMEYER? Please tell me I'm missing the sarcasm. He's not as bad as Brock, but that dude is ridiculously annoying.
    "So between my friends and I we have been at every home game to date this year, and we have all been plotting the offensive plays called. " ------Anthony!
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:07 am
  • When I first Salk when he started I hated his comments and attitude toward Seattle teams. Then I really hated him when PC was hired as Salk basically said PC has been and will be a joke of an NFL head coach. But when PC came in and changed the team and Salk saw he was wrong he kind of changed a little bit and became more analytical. I ended up liking the battle between him and Brock. I was actually sad when he left.

But I'll admit his first thoughts on Seattle fans was spot on. But now our fan base does have a different attitude and has been the most prominent fan base in the country.
    " Living on Earth isn't cheap, but it does include a yearly free trip around the sun."
    v1rotv2
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:20 am
  • Tical21 wrote:Steve Sandmeyer? STEVE SANDMEYER? Please tell me I'm missing the sarcasm. He's not as bad as Brock, but that dude is ridiculously annoying.

Sandy is a realist and i like him. I guess we'll just agree to disagree on this one
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:05 am
  • It's kind of funny that Salk leaves and the Seahawks win the Superbowl and he gets let go just afterward. He missed out.
    rideaducati
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:07 am
  • specially since he is a founding member of the church of Wilson.
    God Bless America and God Bless the SEATTLE SEAHAWKS - TEZ

Mike Bullene ‏@12thManM1ke 45m
    @TDESPN Though, you did say the other night you cannot win the SB riding a defense. Even though you are literally the poster child for that. --twittered back at dilfer after he tried to slam hawks fans.
    hawkcrazzed
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:13 am
  • rideaducati wrote:It's kind of funny that Salk leaves and the Seahawks win the Superbowl and he gets let go just afterward. He missed out.

And what's sad is shortly after he arrived at WEEI the Boston Marathon Bombing happened and the Aaron Hernandez story broke.
    Give me some damn skittles...
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:15 am
  • Salk should come to Spokane. We have 2 local sports talk shows in the afternoon and they're both just embarrassingly bad.
    * NET Staff *

Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:24 am
  • Snakeeyes007 wrote:
    Missing_Clink wrote:Take over for Bob and Groz

This please!! :pray: Can JSPC cut The Groz and have Bradley sign him in Jacksonville?

LOL! This Please!! :13:
    canfan
    NET Rookie

Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:28 am
  • Program Director for 710ESPN, so that doesn't sound like on-air role

Matt Pitman ?@mattpitman 30s
    Hey! Anyone recognize our new Program Director at @710ESPNSeattle?! Why, it's @TheMikeSalk! Congrats & see ya soon!
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Chris Clemons 2010-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013
    Brandon Browner 2011-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
    * The Doc *

Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:29 am
  • lol For real?!
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:30 am
  • Yeah, as I understand it Salk followed a legend. The guy who comes in right after the legend never does well. Whichever bean head replaces Salk though will probably be fine.

I liked Brock and Salk, but I like Brock and Danny too, and I don't think Danny's really done anything to warrant being replaced. I think Wyman, Mike and Salk could work. Or Wyman Mike and Danny. Either way, Jim Moore is a boob and needs to go away.
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:37 am
  • Jim Moore definitely has to go, he ruined Kevin Colabro's show when 710 first started. KC left and they still kept that whiney kitten lover.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:45 am
  • on air time slot to be announced as well.
    chihawk
    NET Starter

Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:46 am
  • drdiags wrote:Program Director for 710ESPN, so that doesn't sound like on-air role

Matt Pitman ?@mattpitman 30s
    Hey! Anyone recognize our new Program Director at @710ESPNSeattle?! Why, it's @TheMikeSalk! Congrats & see ya soon!

If thats true, then I'm sure he'll be back on the air eventually. Maybe he just needs a bit of a break, or 710 just needs to sort out their lineup.
    MVP53
    NET Rookie

Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:47 am
  • Throwdown wrote:Jim Moore definitely has to go, he ruined Kevin Colabro's show when 710 first started. KC left and they still kept that whiney kitten lover.

The Go 2 Guy is easily the most hilarious guy on 710.
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:50 am
  • Basis4day wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:Jim Moore definitely has to go, he ruined Kevin Colabro's show when 710 first started. KC left and they still kept that whiney kitten lover.

Hilarious because he constantly embarrasses himself..? I personally don't find it funny when old people pee their pants in public, which is pretty much Jim Moore in a nutshell.
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Thu Mar 13, 2014 10:50 am
  • Basis4day wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:Jim Moore definitely has to go, he ruined Kevin Colabro's show when 710 first started. KC left and they still kept that whiney kitten lover.

I think Wassell is.

Go 2 Guy is annoying and whiney to me.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:00 am
  • RockHawk wrote:I'm thinking Brock and Rock, seems so obvious.

Well, I thought it should be Rock and Brock, but ya, I see your point. :mrgreen:
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:06 am
  • It's official....Mike Salk is back......

http://mynorthwest.com/444/2475024/Mike-Salk-returning-to-710-ESPN-Seattle

Mike Salk is returning to 710 ESPN Seattle as the station's program director and an on-air host, Bonneville Seattle announced Thursday.

Salk – who helped launch 710 ESPN Seattle in April 2009 and co-hosted "Brock and Salk" with Brock Huard for four years – will take over the station's programming duties beginning later this month. Additionally, Salk will eventually return to the airwaves in a yet-to-be-determined time slot and will have a presence on 710Sports.com.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:06 am
  • Hawkfan509 wrote:
    Smellyman wrote:I like Danny

His cackle makes me cringe

Was just going to say this. He's grown on me somewhat, but that part can be grating at times. I'd like to hear more of Sando (always a treat when he's a guest), but he's a national figure, so little chance of him settling for a local hosting gig.
    "John Schneider is...half ninja assassin, half shark. This
    man does not screw around...So glad he is our GM."
    - PGunning101
    gargantual
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:23 am
  • So Mike Salk took the milk train back to Seattle after failing in his native Boston. Great! I look forward to that pessimistic grunting and being terrified of the Arizona Cardinals :D
    The Moment: Image
    TwilightError
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:25 am
  • Hawknballs wrote:I like Danny O'Niel but I like Salk too.

I generally prefer 710 to KJR though.

The only thing i dont like on 710 is bob and groz. terrible radio. Neither of them does any research or generally has any clue what they are talking about to the point where it's infuriating to think that they actually have jobs getting paid to make crap up and completely screw up the simplest facts and statistics.

So right. I actually like to listen to Brock/Danny and the 3 in the later show (with the exception of the guy that always talks about himself, I forget his name). But the middle show is just awful. Bob and Groz seem out of place. They have an uncomfortable laugh and they have this shctick of trying to make fun of their listeners. That's actually good radio IF you can pull it off. These bozos cannot pull it off so it comes off as fake. And like you said, they don't have much good info.
    plyka
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:30 am
  • Moore can be funny, but it grows tiresome after a while. I agree bob and groz way overdo it. They want to be the best show do they nickname it the show of record and Clayton's best appearance of the week thinking it's clever. And it really isn't. And yes they do make fun of their listeners in a really in creative way. Overall not great radio
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:32 am
  • Throwdown wrote:I think Wassell is.

Go 2 Guy is annoying and whiney to me.

I think Moore is sort of funny, but meh I wouldn't miss him if he left.

Wassell is pretty great, I don't always agree with him but he's an enjoyable element of Brock and Danny to keep those two in line when they go full homer.
    MidwestHawker
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:34 am
  • I agree Wassell is great, needs a more prominent role
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 13, 2014 11:50 am
  • Wassell is great but he wasnt needed so much when Salk was in. He actually sometimes had legit negative opinions about seattles athletes, not just full blown homerism or forced disagreements.
    The Moment: Image
    TwilightError
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:53 pm
  • My take, FWIW...

Morning
    Mitch: Ok, but at times feel like I'm listening to a production meeting on the air. I'm not big into the contests or the Bigger Dance personally.
    Mike & Mike: Great national show. I actually miss getting The Herd in the morning, but Mike & Mike are consistently solid.
    Tiki, Brandon & Dana: Actually a very good show I haven't seen mentioned yet.

Mid Day
    Ian & Puckett: Solid. They did a great job with Arena stuff, and they're both Cougs, so I enjoy the bone they throw WSU now & then.
    Brock & Danny: Good, but not as good as when it was Brock & Salk. Not a big Danny O'Neill guy.
    Elise & Jerry: Meh
    Bob & Groz: Meh. I like Stelton, but Groz has been pretty tough for a while now.
    Doug Gottlieb: Ok, although his natural area of expertise is NBA & college hoops, which doesn't move the needle for me.
    Jim Rome: I just don't get it. He reads a lot of weird tweets that I would guess are funny if you get the joke. Don't ever seem to get much in the way of actual sports coverage.

Afternoon/Evening
    Sandy, Church & Schwartz: Great show, ever since Salk left, this might be my favorite show.
    Softy: Still solid, love the passion. I'm out if he starts talking UW sports though.
    Wyman, Mike & Moore: Eh. They're ok. Moore is funny, you just have to take him for what he is. He doesn't pretend to be an expert, which is nice.
    Wassell & Colin: Very solid later night option.
    Mariners Show w/ Rick Rizzs & Shannon Drayer: Brutally bad. I just can't listen because it's basically nothing but an M's rah fest. Would be nice if they were allowed to be somewhat critical & objective some times.
    Last edited by MVP53 on Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    MVP53
    NET Rookie

Thu Mar 13, 2014 12:56 pm
  • your opinions mirror mine, Brock and Danny is okay. Church/Sandy/Schwartz is the best in town right now. Wassell and Paisley is also a good show.
    I'm a Mariners fan and have been dying for some baseball talk. But that show is literally unlistenable, nothing but a bunch of bland players and coaches, and nothing but rah rah. Rizzs is an outstanding commentator but as an analyst he sucks
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:27 pm
  • MVP53 wrote:
    Wyman, Mike & Moore: Eh. They're ok. Moore is funny, you just have to take him for what he is. He doesn't pretend to be an expert, which is nice.

Yeah, but why does anyone want to listen to a guy who doesn't know nothin about nothin? Guy's just a boob.
    WAR BEAVER!!
    CANHawk
    * Gangnameister *

Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:32 pm
  • CANHawk wrote:
    MVP53 wrote:

Yeah, but why does anyone want to listen to a guy who doesn't know nothin about nothin? Guy's just a boob.

His perspective as 710's crazy uncle five beers deep with money on the game is highly entertaining.
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:35 pm
  • Salk is coming back, this is awesome!! Hopefully not in the morning so I can listen to both he and Mitch, and they aren't competing.

The hierarchy goes something like this:

Mitch
    Salk

Wassell

EVERYBODY ELSE

Sandmeyer
    Brock
    "So between my friends and I we have been at every home game to date this year, and we have all been plotting the offensive plays called. " ------Anthony!
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:51 pm
  • IMHO Mitch sucks. He needs some competition. The guy will take 8 years to get to the point. But if you like mindless blather about golf, college basketball, or Syracuse then his show is for you.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:18 pm
  • seahawk 17 wrote:Please replace Mitch, he is the worst.

We can hope. Mitch is one of the main reasons I can't stand. KJR.
    I suspect he would go to 710 as he is ex ESPN and they are the affiliate. I suspect a afternoon role like he did I. Boston.
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 13, 2014 9:39 pm
  • Who is Mitch?
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Fri Mar 14, 2014 7:55 am
  • Mitch is garbage but I still listen to him. Can't go wrong with local in the morning.
    I enjoy ruining threads by making them about personal attacks and then commenting about how personal attacks make the other person's argument invalid.

:les:
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:29 pm
  • Who is Mitch? Im being serious.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Fri Mar 14, 2014 5:35 pm
  • Mitch and Softy are both horrible. Can't stand Softy's stupid laugh. I hate how Mitch has to explain everything in 5 different ways but ends up saying nothing
    -The Glove-
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 14, 2014 6:29 pm
  • Without reading 5 pages, can someone tell me if Salk is coming back?
    Marvin49 wrote:Ok. I have to admit. That's messed up.

You win.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:07 pm
  • My top 5 hosts with Salk back is
    1. Salk
    2. Wassell (at night)
    3. Grey (notice how none of them are from Seattle)
    4. Sandmeyer (will actually say it how it is)
    5. Churchill (knows his stuff, especially if you're a baseball fan)

Top 5 worst
    1. Elise (horrible, knows nothing, has elongated pauses between a phrase, horrible voice and laugh)
    2.softy, total homer, annoying voice, just cannot stand him.
    3. Groz, his opinions usually last 1 word. He either says agree or disagree. Contributes nothing
    4. Brewer. Worst voice of anyone, has no personality on the radio, even though he tries to
    5. Danny, love him as a writer. But his cackling gets on my nerves, tries too hard. Should stick to writing
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran

Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:49 pm
  • I just know if we can get Brock & Salk back together, I'll be happy. Their chemistry was insane until Salk left.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:44 am
  • On Thursday, Salk announced that he'd be returning to ESPN 710 in Seattle to serve as program director and plans to transition into a host role.

http://www.masslive.com/sports/index.ss ... i_one.html
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays. 
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Sat Mar 15, 2014 9:27 am
  • KitsapGuy wrote:On Thursday, Salk announced that he'd be returning to ESPN 710 in Seattle to serve as program director and plans to transition into a host role.

Sounds like the 710 hosts get to learn about always compete as well
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:21 am
  • I actually like Salk most of the time but his baseball knowledge isn't as great as he thinks it is. This guy couldn't wait for Felix Hernandez to be traded (or picked up via FA) to the yanks or boston, in fact he predicted that would happen.

Got to give he guy credit though as he was driving the Russel Wilson bandwagon.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Mar 19, 2014 12:34 pm
  • He beat the RW drum pre-draft hard, so he'll always have positive standing in my book.
    Founding Father of the Bevell-Be-Gone Movement

Currently riding SHOTGUN on the Russell Wilson bandwagon.

Renton Chapter Seahawkers Booster Club
    Section 316 @ CenturyLink Field

Kuendelea Mwewe - Go Hawks
    SilkMonkey
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Wed Mar 19, 2014 3:19 pm
  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:Who is Mitch? Im being serious.

Mitch in the Morning on KJR
    Basis4day
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:09 pm
  • Yeah. No. I listen to 710. I have to listen to mike and mike on my way to work. Brock if i go out for lunch. Bob and Groz on the way home.

Softy sucks so i assume Mitch does too.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Wed Mar 19, 2014 6:12 pm
  • Happypuppy wrote:
    KitsapGuy wrote:On Thursday, Salk announced that he'd be returning to ESPN 710 in Seattle to serve as program director and plans to transition into a host role.

Sounds like the 710 hosts get to learn about always compete as well

Please let it be Groz that goes...
    Marvin49 wrote:Ok. I have to admit. That's messed up.

You win.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Previous

It is currently Thu Dec 18, 2014 1:46 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information