Sonics/NHL/New arena thread

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
Re: Sonics/NHL/New arena thread
Thu May 29, 2014 6:36 pm
  • No, it's not because Ballmer is out that this thing is dead.

It's because Ballmer deciding to go another direction probably indicates that Silver told him to forget Seattle since Seattle won't be getting a team for years. Probably decades.

Which is fine if some intrepid businessman wants to try a hockey-only arena in the area, but not so fine if this doesn't happen.
    "He's a *****. It's not that he was a *****, he is a *****, and that's why he hasn't won anything."
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

Thu May 29, 2014 6:44 pm
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:No, it's not because Ballmer is out that this thing is dead.

It's because Ballmer deciding to go another direction probably indicates that Silver told him to forget Seattle since Seattle won't be getting a team for years. Probably decades.

Which is fine if some intrepid businessman wants to try a hockey-only arena in the area, but not so fine if this doesn't happen.

QFT

The only thing the NBA would like more than having Ballmer in the league is having Ballmer and Ellison in the league. If a Seattle expansion was on the table anytime soon I'd assume the NBA would tell Ballmer.

The MIRACLE situation: NBA tells Ballmer they are declining his purchase and awarding him an expansion team for 1billion, and selling the team to the Ellison group for 1.6 billion :D
    4/27/13 - I was there #humblethug
    "He looked like a bad man," Sherman said, "and I knew we were alright."
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

Thu May 29, 2014 8:08 pm
  • The league doesn't want Ellison in anyway shape or form, that dude is shunned something serious, like they literally hate that man.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Thu May 29, 2014 8:24 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:The league doesn't want Ellison in anyway shape or form, that dude is shunned something serious, like they literally hate that man.

I mean it certainly seems like it, I just hope its not the case; hansen's bid highest twice now? :? (Sac, Mil)

completely unrelated, but i was looking at forbes billionaires because of this and Ellison made 720 million dollars today :cry:
    4/27/13 - I was there #humblethug
    "He looked like a bad man," Sherman said, "and I knew we were alright."
    TheRealDTM
    NET Veteran

Thu May 29, 2014 8:47 pm
  • Milwaukee was just a wing it, kohl was never selling to Hansen.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Fri May 30, 2014 5:58 pm
  • *sigh* [slowly looks off into the distance with an ever shrinking glimmer of hope in my eye]
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

Fri May 30, 2014 6:02 pm
  • dunceface wrote:*sigh* [slowly looks off into the distance with an ever shrinking glimmer of hope in my eye]

WE GOT THAT LOMBARDI THOOOOO!
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Fri May 30, 2014 6:25 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:
    dunceface wrote:*sigh* [slowly looks off into the distance with an ever shrinking glimmer of hope in my eye]

dunceface
    NET Veteran

Fri May 30, 2014 7:41 pm
  • Throwdown wrote:
    dunceface wrote:*sigh* [slowly looks off into the distance with an ever shrinking glimmer of hope in my eye]

Heh heeeehh heheeeeeeeeeehhhhh! :lol: :th2thumbs:
    42-13, 29-3, and 23-17 and a Lombardi trophy from THIS millennium.....deal with it niner trolls

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jun 02, 2014 2:24 pm

Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:35 pm
  • Public records show that the man behind the Seattle Arena project has made an even bigger play for land in the SoDo neighborhood.

In May, as Steve Ballmer was readying a bid for the LA Clippers, Chris Hansen signed documents to make his biggest purchase ever for his SoDo project.

On May 19, Hansen signed a "Memorandum of Option to Purchase" for roughly five acres of property south of South Holgate street, adjacent to land he already owns. The deal, for 1900 Occidental Avenue, allows for Hansen to have the right of first refusal on purchasing the property, and is considered the precursor to finalizing the deal. The land would be the biggest parcel in the Hansen portfolio, stretching from Holgate Street, almost to Lander, and across the street from the nearby Starbucks Center.

"We now control the land," says Hansen's real estate consultant Bill Vipond, who says that the Arena backer paid an undisclosed amount for the option.

He has so far spent almost $65 million, in cash, for several pieces of land near 1st Avenue South and Occidental. The piece of property, involved in this latest transaction, has an appraised value of around $10,500,000. Vipond says Hansen has already agreed to a final sale price for the new piece, although it will remain undisclosed.

It will likely be for significantly more than the appraised value of the property, based on market conditions, and the fact that Hansen paid roughly $21 million in 2011 for his first piece of property, south of Safeco Field. At the time, it's appraised value was less than that.

On Monday, Hansen declined comment on the new purchase.

He has publicly talked about his admiration for the "LA Live" entertainment complex in Los Angeles. But Hansen could also be taking needed steps to satisfy any questions about traffic mitigation and parking. The project is currently undergoing a city environmental review, which is scheduled to be completed near the end of the summer.

http://www.king5.com/news/cities/seattl ... 11301.html
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays. 
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:38 pm
  • KitsapGuy wrote:Public records show that the man behind the Seattle Arena project has made an even bigger play for land in the SoDo neighborhood.

In May, as Steve Ballmer was readying a bid for the LA Clippers, Chris Hansen signed documents to make his biggest purchase ever for his SoDo project.

On May 19, Hansen signed a "Memorandum of Option to Purchase" for roughly five acres of property south of South Holgate street, adjacent to land he already owns. The deal, for 1900 Occidental Avenue, allows for Hansen to have the right of first refusal on purchasing the property, and is considered the precursor to finalizing the deal. The land would be the biggest parcel in the Hansen portfolio, stretching from Holgate Street, almost to Lander, and across the street from the nearby Starbucks Center.

"We now control the land," says Hansen's real estate consultant Bill Vipond, who says that the Arena backer paid an undisclosed amount for the option.

He has so far spent almost $65 million, in cash, for several pieces of land near 1st Avenue South and Occidental. The piece of property, involved in this latest transaction, has an appraised value of around $10,500,000. Vipond says Hansen has already agreed to a final sale price for the new piece, although it will remain undisclosed.

It will likely be for significantly more than the appraised value of the property, based on market conditions, and the fact that Hansen paid roughly $21 million in 2011 for his first piece of property, south of Safeco Field. At the time, it's appraised value was less than that.

On Monday, Hansen declined comment on the new purchase.

He has publicly talked about his admiration for the "LA Live" entertainment complex in Los Angeles. But Hansen could also be taking needed steps to satisfy any questions about traffic mitigation and parking. The project is currently undergoing a city environmental review, which is scheduled to be completed near the end of the summer.

http://www.king5.com/news/cities/seattl ... 11301.html

BUT BUT BUT BALLMER IS GONE!!

Seriously, anyone who doubted Hansen after Ballmer bought the clippers is an idiot
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:21 pm

Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:25 pm

• This senile moron is not helping his case that he's got all his faculties with this on-again, off-again stuff.

Re: Having faith in Hansen. I don't see an NHL team here, and that's because I also don't see an NBA team here. So while I like the guy and hope he pulls it off, he's got to actually be successful in getting a team here before I show faith in his ability to get things done because he's 0-for-1 right now.
    "He's a *****. It's not that he was a *****, he is a *****, and that's why he hasn't won anything."
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:27 pm
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:

This senile moron is not helping his case that he's got all his faculties with this on-again, off-again stuff.

Re: Having faith in Hansen. I don't see an NHL team here, and that's because I also don't see an NBA team here. So while I like the guy and hope he pulls it off, he's got to actually be successful in getting a team here before I show faith in his ability to get things done because he's 0-for-1 right now.

So you won't show any faith in Hansen getting the NBA here until he gets the NBA here?

Got it...
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 09, 2014 6:34 pm
  • Hawkfan77 wrote:
    Smelly McUgly wrote:

This senile moron is not helping his case that he's got all his faculties with this on-again, off-again stuff.

So you won't show any faith in Hansen getting the NBA here until he gets the NBA here?

Got it...

No, I won't show any faith in Hansen because he already botched one attempt badly by being as transparent about his intentions as possible. He clearly did not know who he was dealing with and failed. So, you know, get excited about him buying land as if that means anything if you want, but we've seen him fail with one team already.
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:08 pm
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:
    Hawkfan77 wrote:
    Smelly McUgly wrote:

Got it...

No, I won't show any faith in Hansen because he already botched one attempt badly by being as transparent about his intentions as possible. He clearly did not know who he was dealing with and failed. So, you know, get excited about him buying land as if that means anything if you want, but we've seen him fail with one team already.

Hansen didn't botch anything. He got the shaft from david stern. He got involved with the s##t pile that is known as the nba. It's no surprise he came out with some s##t on his sleeves.
    86Hawk
    NET Rookie

Mon Jun 09, 2014 8:16 pm
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:

That's the most ridiculous take I've ever seen on what went down with the Kings... :roll:

But sure keep believing in lies if that's what you want to do. Sometimes, people don't care about the truth
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:35 am
  • Hawkfan77 wrote:
    Smelly McUgly wrote:

That's the most ridiculous take I've ever seen on what went down with the Kings... :roll:

But sure keep believing in lies if that's what you want to do. Sometimes, people don't care about the truth

No, it's just a take that you don't want to hear because it makes you feel bad about not having the Sonics.

The truth is that Hansen botched things, and now there's no team for sale that he can possibly move unless the city does not give that team an arena deal. The NBA will always prefer the city that gives a ransom for an arena to keep their team. Hansen needed to pretend that he would stay in Sacramento and then yank them because that's pretty clearly the M.O. the NBA works under.

I know you don't like it, but you'll get over it, sunshine. So Hansen's plan, while more honest, was far less successful. He's 0-for-1, and buying up some more land doesn't change that.
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 10, 2014 12:45 pm

Tue Jun 10, 2014 2:32 pm
  • Seattle will get a team, when all other teams that need a new arena, get their arenas. We are a bargaining chip, and you don't give up your chips until there is nothing else to gain.
    DynoHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:12 pm

Fri Jul 04, 2014 6:25 pm
  • The Great One has entered the building...or at least the conversation.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=456459

Shy
    Just remember, football is 80% mental and 40% physical.
    Little Giants (1994) – Steve Emtman
    ShyCheetah
    NET Starter

Fri Jul 04, 2014 10:50 pm
  • Literally means nothing if there's no chance of an arena :(
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

Sat Jul 05, 2014 8:34 am
  • No arena. No peace.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:00 am
  • ShyCheetah wrote:The Great One has entered the building...or at least the conversation.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=456459

Shy

I love this happening because it puts a face that politics can use to sway things behind scenes..Great move by the NHL..I think the duel use arena just gained a little more traction..They want us and that means something..
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:36 am
  • Did anyone see the part where Gretzky disputes this claim? He didnt have mych luck in Phoenix.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Previous

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:32 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information