Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

2014 Seattle Mariners

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
Re: 2014 Seattle Mariners
Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:56 pm
  • Are the Mariners, with the latest additions, good enough for 86-88 wins? If so, is that enough to stave off the rest of the contenders for a wildcard spot?
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:25 pm
  • Offensively I do not think they are good enough to get it, but damn it will be a fun ride until the end.......
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:50 pm
  • I dunno, they're already 3 out, with three really hot teams in front of them. Another week to ten days like this, and the season is over. They can't score runs, period. Again. Still. Again. .500 is probably a more realistic goal than playoffs at this point.
    I'm fly
    I should be in the sky with birds
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:52 pm
  • hawkfan68 wrote:Are the Mariners, with the latest additions, good enough for 86-88 wins? If so, is that enough to stave off the rest of the contenders for a wildcard spot?

No, but IMHO they are still building the core of the team. This is not a make it or break it year for them. They have to strike some sort of playoff gold in the next 2 seasons (not including this one) IMHO to hold on to and rebuild the fanbase that they as an organization (I'm looking at you Howard and Chuck) have destroyed with a decade of craptastic teams.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!

I SO do not care about your fantasy team and who's on it!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sat Aug 02, 2014 10:11 am
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:Are the Mariners, with the latest additions, good enough for 86-88 wins? If so, is that enough to stave off the rest of the contenders for a wildcard spot?

No, but IMHO they are still building the core of the team. This is not a make it or break it year for them. They have to strike some sort of playoff gold in the next 2 seasons (not including this one) IMHO to hold on to and rebuild the fanbase that they as an organization (I'm looking at you Howard and Chuck) have destroyed with a decade of craptastic teams.

I agree with this ...It takes time to fix the mess job of the past...We got the pitching everyone knows that ..Center field is solid now but they need to extend the guy ...We need another OFwho can play defense and hit...A shortstop that can do the same..Rest of everything else looks solid ..I think we finish over .500- the playoffs are out unless we can get real hot ..Again I wonder if theres a stat that tells me how many 5 hit 1 run losses we have?It has to be some record..I want a new hitting coach next year..Loyd has done a great job and suprised the crap out of me as I doubted him..This team is one of my favorite teams in very long memory..Just scrappy no name- fight to the end ...GO MARINERS!! Oh and reminder Paxton is back today... :th2thumbs:
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:06 pm
  • I kind of think they need to start over....again. They somehow managed to miss on an entire era of hitters. We have Cano and Seager and promise in Zunino, and six players who are among the worst in MLB at their positions. Taylor has such a better looking swing than Miller. Could be promising. But there are just SOOOO MANY HOLES. It is going to be a while.
    I'm fly
    I should be in the sky with birds
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 02, 2014 3:37 pm

Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:40 pm
  • Liking this 1-2-3 lineup!
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:45 pm
  • Nice to finally see some offense tonight. And Paxton looks as advertised.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:49 pm
  • SeatownJay wrote:Nice to finally see some offense tonight. And Paxton looks as advertised.

I agree, and Paxton will get better. I feel like the strike zone is pretty inconsistent to go along with Paxton being off tonight. A great sign when you can have a mediocre outing and still look top notch.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:43 pm
  • Rodney can't make it easy, can he?
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:49 pm
  • Another victory and we gained a game in the wildcard race. The Mariners are now 41-10 when scoring four or more runs. That is a testament to our pitching and a glaring black eye for our offense. We seem to have a formidable 1-5 batting order if things keep progressing.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:39 pm
  • Good win ..Good to see more than 5 hits thats for sure..The SS (Taylor )I hope he is the man for the job ..What can I say about Ackley ..His avg has exploded up ,I hope he has finally arrived for good..Good win for this team and Paxton will be better ,he's been gone for some time..GO MARINERS!!
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:43 pm
  • Paxton while not sharp tonight battled out of some really tough jams tonight (it could have been ugly), guy is going to be a stud!

Taylor has had a few really nice at bats, tonight he went down 0-2 then fought off 7 more pitches before ripping a nice single, he knows what he is doing at the plate!
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 03, 2014 5:45 am
  • SeatownJay wrote:Rodney can't make it easy, can he?

Rarely does and it bugs the shit out of me.
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Aug 03, 2014 6:00 am
  • m0ng0 wrote:Paxton while not sharp tonight battled out of some really tough jams tonight (it could have been ugly), guy is going to be a stud!

Taylor has had a few really nice at bats, tonight he went down 0-2 then fought off 7 more pitches before ripping a nice single, he knows what he is doing at the plate!

Agreed on Paxton. He is the reason that I am glad that Jack did not sell the farm for Lester or Price rentals. We already have a gritty, and potentially dominant, left-handed starter. By all accounts, he has been destroying big league batters since the beginning of his pro career as his statistics have shown.

Really excited to see Taylor's progression! What a professional at-bat last evening. To fight off a number of pitches on an 0-2 count and then smack a solid single into right-center was encouraging, to say the least. His defense has been shaky at times though, with another error last night that led to an unearned run. I believe that he will begin to show the same patience in the field as he does at the plate and round into an above average player at shortstop.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 03, 2014 2:52 pm
  • Not mariners related, but didn't want to make another thread since a baseball thread was already up.

To the point,

If my understanding of the situation is correct, it's incredibly messed up and lame.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/mlb-big-l ... 25493.html

Dude got hurt and may be out for the season, yeah it sucks, but it was an accident(?). I get why the team would be mad, but again, it was an accident(?). Why take it out on a dude that had nothing to do with the play that hurt your guy and only target him because he's also a good player. Feel bad for McCutchen and I hope the pitcher gets made an example of. If the team/manager knew about it (which pretty much seems like they did/would), I hope they get made an example of too.
    dontbelikethat
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 03, 2014 7:12 pm
  • Well.....this "NEW" offense sure seems a lot like the old offense.................embarrassing game today.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Sun Aug 03, 2014 9:13 pm
  • Blitzer88 wrote:Well.....this "NEW" offense sure seems a lot like the old offense.................embarrassing game today.

This offense is anemic, and it's not changing until the offseason. They are still another 3 solid bats away from doing some serious damage. Z is going to have to pull off some miracles his offseason.

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:06 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Blitzer88 wrote:Well.....this "NEW" offense sure seems a lot like the old offense.................embarrassing game today.

This offense is anemic, and it's not changing until the offseason. They are still another 3 solid bats away from doing some serious damage. Z is going to have to pull off some miracles his offseason.

If Jackson is solid- I don't see needing 3 bats..2 yes...What they need is a real good hitting coach ..I mean these guys have hit all their life...If 2 or 3 can pick up their hitting we wouldn't need much..Some people on here have to realize there is no team thats solid from top to bottom hitting wise...I'd be happy with good ptching(check) speed,defense and more power..This coming off season is a big one...GO MARINERS!!
    Will Dissly
    2018 Adopt a rookie
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 04, 2014 5:14 pm
  • This upcoming homestand is pivotal when it comes to determining the playoffs hopes for the 2014 Seattle Mariners.

They have not been good at home this year so far, but if they can pull out victories in these series (especially against the Jays), I think the odds become much more favorable for the #2 wildcard spot.

At least the team knows what they are fighting for and realizes how critical the next handful of games are.
    Lloyd McClendon keeps talking about improving and winning at home... they need to deliver.

Good luck Mariners!
    Hawksfanatik
    NET Veteran

Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:47 pm
  • Only one game out of the final wildcard spot after this evenings victory.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Wed Aug 06, 2014 3:28 pm

Wed Aug 06, 2014 4:17 pm
  • Nice tidy little sweep. Onto the recently reeling White Sox
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Wed Aug 06, 2014 6:10 pm
  • If they take three from the White Sox, I'll be impressed. If they follow that up by putting it on Toronto, I'll be quite pleasantly surprised.

Marlon Byrd got claimed on waivers. I wonder if Jack Z put in the claim.
    Colin Kaepernick is a great person, something that the NFL is sorely lacking.
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

Wed Aug 06, 2014 7:03 pm
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:If they take three from the White Sox, I'll be impressed. If they follow that up by putting it on Toronto, I'll be quite pleasantly surprised.

hmm.......not likely

The 36-year-old Byrd is batting a healthy .269/.318/.474 with 21 homers and solid defense in right field. He can block trades to the Royals, Mariners, Blue Jays and Rays.
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Wed Aug 06, 2014 10:11 pm
  • I think the M's are probably out of the hunt for OF help for now. Saunders will be back soonish and he's a quality OF, Ackley has suddenly looked like his 2011 self and Jackson is a league average CF at worst. Byrd would help us, but probably isn't worth the cost in money in prospects at this point. To make him waive the no-trade the M's would have to pay him an extra year. Not worth it at this point IMO.

I really liked the Jackson trade. We got a good CF for a prospect that had no future here, and it removed the desperation factor that might have led to Seattle paying big for someone else.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Thu Aug 07, 2014 4:38 am
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:If they take three from the White Sox, I'll be impressed. If they follow that up by putting it on Toronto, I'll be quite pleasantly surprised.

You'll be "pleasantly surprised" if we've won 8 in a row and overtaken our primary competition for the wild card?

Tough crowd
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *

Thu Aug 07, 2014 11:24 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Smelly McUgly wrote:If they take three from the White Sox, I'll be impressed. If they follow that up by putting it on Toronto, I'll be quite pleasantly surprised.

You'll be "pleasantly surprised" if we've won 8 in a row and overtaken our primary competition for the wild card?

Tough crowd

Well, first of all, taking three from the Sox would merely be winning the series since we have four against them. It would not constitute an eight-game winning streak.

Second of all, I would accept 2-1 against the Jays as "putting it on them."

So, I'm not quite sure where you got "eight-game winning streak" from, chum. :lol:

I would be pleasantly surprised if the Mariners did well against a team that seems to have their number more often than not and one of their two direct contenders for the second wild-card spot. They typically don't play well when the chips are down since about 2001. I have no expectations.
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:39 am
  • I didn't watch much of the game since the Hawks were on but every time I turned back to the game it seems like they had scored more runs. Cano hit a two run homer, Ackley continues to tear it up and went 2-4 with a solo home run in the 1st and 4 rbi's in the game, and Seager got into the home run parade also last night right after Morales got drilled. Hell, even Endy Chavez hit one out last night!

Obviously I don't expect us to score 13 runs every game, but if they can continue to hit the ball even remotely like this they're going to be in it for the rest of the season.
    mbtitleist
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:42 am
  • Where has this offense been all year?
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:03 am
  • mbtitleist wrote:I didn't watch much of the game since the Hawks were on but every time I turned back to the game it seems like they had scored more runs. Cano hit a two run homer, Ackley continues to tear it up and went 2-4 with a solo home run in the 1st and 4 rbi's in the game, and Seager got into the home run parade also last night right after Morales got drilled. Hell, even Endy Chavez hit one out last night!

Obviously I don't expect us to score 13 runs every game, but if they can continue to hit the ball even remotely like this they're going to be in it for the rest of the season.

And its happening at Safeco
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 08, 2014 12:38 pm
  • mbtitleist wrote:I didn't watch much of the game since the Hawks were on but every time I turned back to the game it seems like they had scored more runs. Cano hit a two run homer, Ackley continues to tear it up and went 2-4 with a solo home run in the 1st and 4 rbi's in the game, and Seager got into the home run parade also last night right after Morales got drilled. Hell, even Endy Chavez hit one out last night!

They are second only to OAK in run prevention, so if they continue to hit the ball remotely like this, they'll probably win the second wild card.
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Fri Aug 08, 2014 1:28 pm
  • I just like that finally, we are playing meaningful games in August.

:)
    Talent can get you to the playoffs.
    It takes character to win when you get there.

SUPER BOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS
    sutz
    USMC 1970-77

Fri Aug 08, 2014 8:55 pm

Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:02 am
  • Mariners are starting to get hot again. with the emergence of ackley and the trades there's a legitimate outfield. Certainly not good but legitimate. The X factor in the second half will be Paxton IMO. He could really be the difference maker in the stretch run that puts us over the top
    davidonmi
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:50 am
  • I think Chris Taylor will benefit from being in this lineup than years past. Granted, Taylor will probably not be this hot the rest of the year, but as we've seen from new guys like Ackley, Franklin, Smoak, etc who had fantastic starts to their ML careers, but fell cold and got sent back to AAA, this is the perfect lineup for Taylor to be mentored in. There's a lot of veteran guys that have been around baseball a long time, that know how to stay consistent, that can teach Taylor to be consistent. I don't think Taylor would have benefited from previous lineups since there wasn't many good vet-young'ons that Taylor would have been able to learn from in past lineups. This year we got Cano, Jackson and Morrison who are all consistent. We haven't had that in previous years. Anyone else agree? Just my opinion.
    dumbrabbit
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:40 am
  • dumbrabbit wrote:I think Chris Taylor will benefit from being in this lineup than years past. Granted, Taylor will probably not be this hot the rest of the year, but as we've seen from new guys like Ackley, Franklin, Smoak, etc who had fantastic starts to their ML careers, but fell cold and got sent back to AAA, this is the perfect lineup for Taylor to be mentored in. There's a lot of veteran guys that have been around baseball a long time, that know how to stay consistent, that can teach Taylor to be consistent. I don't think Taylor would have benefited from previous lineups since there wasn't many good vet-young'ons that Taylor would have been able to learn from in past lineups. This year we got Cano, Jackson and Morrison who are all consistent. We haven't had that in previous years. Anyone else agree? Just my opinion.

Excellent point! I also wonder about the new coaching staff?
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:47 am
  • dumbrabbit wrote:I think Chris Taylor will benefit from being in this lineup than years past. Granted, Taylor will probably not be this hot the rest of the year, but as we've seen from new guys like Ackley, Franklin, Smoak, etc who had fantastic starts to their ML careers, but fell cold and got sent back to AAA, this is the perfect lineup for Taylor to be mentored in. There's a lot of veteran guys that have been around baseball a long time, that know how to stay consistent, that can teach Taylor to be consistent. I don't think Taylor would have benefited from previous lineups since there wasn't many good vet-young'ons that Taylor would have been able to learn from in past lineups. This year we got Cano, Jackson and Morrison who are all consistent. We haven't had that in previous years. Anyone else agree? Just my opinion.

I wouldn't include Morrison in that category but I agree with your point. They have a good leader in Cano.
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 09, 2014 12:08 pm
  • I included Morrison because he's one of the vets that has experience he can teach to Taylor, not what he's done for the team, stats wise, but I understand what you mean.
    dumbrabbit
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:35 pm
  • Pretty good game this evening. Paxton pitched phenomenally. 1-1 in the bottom of the 8th with a runner on 2nd and one out.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:39 pm
  • And there is Jackson and Ackley with back-to-back strikeouts to end the inning.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:10 pm
  • Sweet error Taylor. The Sox take the lead on the next play and are now ahead 2-1in the top of the 10th.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:19 pm
  • Good wins M's
    Marcus Trufant
    NET Bench Warmer

Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:37 pm
  • Marcus Trufant wrote:Good wins M's

Nice game for Austin Jackson. :th2thumbs:

Sports Hernia
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:58 pm
  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    Marcus Trufant wrote:Good wins M's

Nice game for Austin Jackson. :th2thumbs:

Denorfia seemed to have awakened as well.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:11 pm
  • More bats. I have been waiting like everyone else. Good recent additions. No reason we cant make the playoffs. With our league leading pitching......mmmmm
    Michael Dickson, P, Texas: 2018 Adopt a Probowl Rookie
    Atradees
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 11, 2014 3:40 pm
  • Happy Felix day!

mbtitleist
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 11, 2014 6:52 pm
  • Damn I thought we had a good chance to get a run or two last inning having runners at 2nd and 3rd with only one out and the top of the order up. Jackson popped up to 2nd and Ackley grounded out to 1st to end the inning.

Also, those Blue Jay fans are annoying as hell.
    mbtitleist
    NET Veteran

Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:09 pm
  • Well Bautista hit a solo shot in the top of the 4th but a Cano walk and Morales double has us with runners at 2nd and 3rd with no outs. Seager at the plate, lets hope he can rip one.

Kyle Seager with a long sac fly to center, long enough that Morales was able to tag to 3rd while Cano scored. 1-1.

Zunino with a bloop single down the right field line, Morales scores to make it 2-1.
    mbtitleist
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:34 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information