2014 Seattle Mariners

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
Re: 2014 Seattle Mariners
Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:10 pm
  • Oh, so we dont need another bat.......we just needed to use the ones we got. bout time
    Lithium
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:48 pm
  • So how long until we trade DJ Peterson? He's tearing up the minors, last month he hit 392 and he already has 18 hr this year. That screams a trade so we can "enjoy" watching him be a dominate hitter some place else.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 24, 2014 8:51 pm
  • CPHawk wrote:So how long until we trade DJ Peterson? He's tearing up the minors, last month he hit 392 and he already has 18 hr this year. That screams a trade so we can "enjoy" watching him be a dominate hitter some place else.

I totally get your cynicism, but I think DJ Peterson is our future at first base. I think it's more likely that we trade Ji-Mian Choi if we trade a corner infielder.

Then again, I still don't trust Jack Z, so you could be right maybe but I hope not and believe not.
    "He's a *****. It's not that he was a *****, he is a *****, and that's why he hasn't won anything."
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:22 pm
  • CPHawk wrote:So how long until we trade DJ Peterson? He's tearing up the minors, last month he hit 392 and he already has 18 hr this year. That screams a trade so we can "enjoy" watching him be a dominate hitter some place else.

He's doing that in Rookie league, hasnt even played in AA yet.
    Lithium
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:18 am

Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:22 am
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:
    CPHawk wrote:So how long until we trade DJ Peterson? He's tearing up the minors, last month he hit 392 and he already has 18 hr this year. That screams a trade so we can "enjoy" watching him be a dominate hitter some place else.

I totally get your cynicism, but I think DJ Peterson is our future at first base. I think it's more likely that we trade Ji-Mian Choi if we trade a corner infielder.

Then again, I still don't trust Jack Z, so you could be right maybe but I hope not and believe not.

I guess I dont. We traded Adam Jones (for a #1 starter. i hated the trade, but still..)

Outside of that, what prospect have we traded that then went on to tear up the big leagues?

Just checking up on the team stats

We hold one of the AL wildcard spots. We are tied for 7th in runs scored in the AL (at 321) and 2nd in RSA (at 269). We are the only AL team outside of the A's to have not given up 300 runs yet. We are 2nd in the AL in runs differential (at +52) to Oakland (f---ing +126)

Brad Miller's June makes is back to All Star level. Cano keeps hitting. Seager has been great. Jones has been a fantastic surprise. And we dont have to sit through Smoak's AB's at the moment.

We are a decent baseball team. (at the moment. we are still the Mariners and things can go South fairly quickly)
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:21 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Smelly McUgly wrote:
    CPHawk wrote:So how long until we trade DJ Peterson? He's tearing up the minors, last month he hit 392 and he already has 18 hr this year. That screams a trade so we can "enjoy" watching him be a dominate hitter some place else.

I guess I dont. We traded Adam Jones (for a #1 starter. i hated the trade, but still..)

Outside of that, what prospect have we traded that then went on to tear up the big leagues?

Shin Soo Choo comes to mind. I'm pretty sure we traded Asdrubal Cabrera too.
    "He's a *****. It's not that he was a *****, he is a *****, and that's why he hasn't won anything."
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:41 am
  • A little different in my opinion. Shin wasnt a highly touted prospect. hell he batted under .100 in two years with the M's (off and on). Cabrera barely made any noise with Seattle and I dont think he made the Indians roster his first year with them.

Point being, Jones was a high caliber talent. the others developed. Sure we missed on them, but many teams miss on many players. Neither support the narrative the M's are quick to sell their highly rated prospects. I mean we still have Ackley, Smoak, Montero, Seager, Walker, etc. We still have Hernandez for that matter.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:18 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:We are a decent baseball team. (at the moment. we are still the Mariners and things can go South fairly quickly)

Yep, this covers it. Lovin' the 6 game win streak.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:19 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:A little different in my opinion. Shin wasnt a highly touted prospect. hell he batted under .100 in two years with the M's (off and on). Cabrera barely made any noise with Seattle and I dont think he made the Indians roster his first year with them.

Point being, Jones was a high caliber talent. the others developed. Sure we missed on them, but many teams miss on many players. Neither support the narrative the M's are quick to sell their highly rated prospects. I mean we still have Ackley, Smoak, Montero, Seager, Walker, etc. We still have Hernandez for that matter.

I think I generally agree with you. Just pointing out those examples for conversation's sake.
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:20 am
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:I hope this outburst by LoMo is a final nail in the coffin for Justin Smoak. I hate that guy.

:13:
    Smoak has been given far too long to succeed and still hasn't. Admit your mistake and move on Jack.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:22 am
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    Smelly McUgly wrote:I hope this outburst by LoMo is a final nail in the coffin for Justin Smoak. I hate that guy.

Smoak has been given far too long to succeed and still hasn't. Admit your mistake and move on Jack.

I think McClendon has been quite clear he is only playing who he wants, where he wants, when he wants. Its nice to see that in a manager again
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 25, 2014 10:24 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    Smelly McUgly wrote:I hope this outburst by LoMo is a final nail in the coffin for Justin Smoak. I hate that guy.

I think McClendon has been quite clear he is only playing who he wants, where he wants, when he wants. Its nice to see that in a manager again

Completely agree.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:31 am
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:

Send Ackley packing along with him, the guy scares absolutely nobody at the plate. He sucks for 90% of the season, then has a hot streak to get everyone's hopes up then goes right back into blowing chunks mode. Him and Smoak are pretty much the same player.
    The LOLs of the many outweigh the shame of the few
    Msfann
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*
    *BRONZE SUPPORTER*

Wed Jun 25, 2014 11:59 am
  • Yeah, I'm done with Ackley, too, especially since it shouldn't be that hard to get better production out of a corner outfielder.

Maybe Jabari Blash will start hitting the baseball or something...ORRRRRRR we could trade for Seth Smith. *coughcoughmymantracoughcough*
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:25 pm
  • Love the baseball the M's are playing...I didn't think they had the hitting in them..Congrats to Miller for finding his bat and LoMo...I also love Jones coming out of nowhere...I agree with getting rid of Smoak..Ackley-I'm sure there's some castoff somewhere that can play better defense and hit a few points higher..Otherwise it's time to bring another kid up who can do the job..Erasmo is one pitcher that bothers me..Drains the bp every start ..How he doesn't get hammered when he walks 5 every time out is beyond me..JZ I hope he isn't pat this trade deadline..We are players and have a good team.All teams have weak spots..A player or two can make a big difference..Go M's!!!
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jun 25, 2014 7:51 pm
  • Iwakuma has gotten knocked around his last few starts, I hope nothing is wrong......but i will say the bartender has been doing well in a long relief role. Hopefully they can turn this around and get a sweep but still, things are looking up for this team !
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 26, 2014 11:01 am
  • Erasmo is gone. Maurer looks like an okay long reliever. Taijuan is probably coming up to start. Paxton is going to have rehab starts if his throwing sessions go well this week.
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 26, 2014 1:10 pm
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:Erasmo is gone. Maurer looks like an okay long reliever. Taijuan is probably coming up to start. Paxton is going to have rehab starts if his throwing sessions go well this week.

He looked like a completely different pitcher last night. He hit 99 on the radar and had 4 K's in 2 IP. I was very impressed. If you didn't see it you wouldn't believe it.
    bigtrain21
    * NET GIF Master *

Fri Jun 27, 2014 11:28 am
  • Curtis Crabtree ‏@Curtis_Crabtree 11m
    Mariners officially announce they have activated OF Michael Saunders from the DL, Jesus Montero optioned to Tacoma.
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:14 pm
  • KitsapGuy wrote:Curtis Crabtree ‏@Curtis_Crabtree 11m
    Mariners officially announce they have activated OF Michael Saunders from the DL, Jesus Montero optioned to Tacoma.

Should have sent Romero down, not because Montero is any good (though he at least looked serviceable in his limited playtime this go-round), but because I really want Lloyd to stop using Romero in the outfield when we need right-handers in the lineup. Please come back soon, Corey Hart!

Minor quibble there, though. I'm just glad Saunders is back.
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 27, 2014 12:36 pm
  • bigtrain21 wrote:
    Smelly McUgly wrote:Erasmo is gone. Maurer looks like an okay long reliever. Taijuan is probably coming up to start. Paxton is going to have rehab starts if his throwing sessions go well this week.

He looked like a completely different pitcher last night. He hit 99 on the radar and had 4 K's in 2 IP. I was very impressed. If you didn't see it you wouldn't believe it.

Jason Churchill had been talking quite a bit about Maurer and that his true place is likely in the bullpen, because he is a 2-pitch guy with elite velocity. Erasmo has better starter potential and is still young enough to develop. He needs to stay down in Tacoma, and hopefully we can get another starter via trade so there are options if/when Walker and Paxton get back, because odds are Chris Young will have a drop off at some point.
    CrimsonWazzu
    NET Starter

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:00 pm
  • These guys are starting to look like a halfway decent ball club. They could make some serious noise if they land another decent bat. For the Mariners, I haven't seen a stable of starting pitchers this deep in quite some time.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:30 pm
  • It appears the team really likes playing with one another. Of course, winning always changes additudes.
    storm74
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 28, 2014 5:35 am
  • Chavez-Jones-Cano-Seager at the top of the lineup is really firing on all cylinders. Seager is really impressing me. Well done!
    "The problem with the internet is, that one can never trust the authenticity of a source." - Abraham Lincoln
    Hawker
    NET Rookie

Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:14 am
  • Fernando Rodney is giving me an ulcer, he is getting the job done but its never dull......
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:57 am
  • m0ng0 wrote:Fernando Rodney is giving me an ulcer, he is getting the job done but its never
    m0ng0 wrote:Fernando Rodney is giving me an ulcer, he is getting the job done but its never dull......

Thats how a lot of closers not named Mariano Rivera roll. They have only a couple pitches and heat is typically their best. Its strikeouts or longballs. Eric Gagne used to drive me insane. Outside of the fact he had a bagillion saves in a season.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Sun Jun 29, 2014 2:18 pm
  • Felix is dealing...Walker pitches tommorow-no more Erasmo crap..I'm liking this team...
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 29, 2014 3:02 pm
  • It's a shame that this year, the Ms happen to be in the best division in baseball. Bad timing.

Cano blast!
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:22 pm
  • I hope we don't look back on this season and ask "what if" with Kendrys Morales. We need a plus bat DH so desperately, and the only decent options in trade would add more salary than Morales would have.

This is a playoff team that will probably just miss out thanks to the 5 black holes they have in the lineup most days. If they could just get that number down to 3, they'd be very tough to beat out for that second wildcard spot. Maybe they still get it anyway, but even with the pitching being unreal this team is still just barely holding onto it.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

Sun Jun 29, 2014 8:41 pm
  • Morales did not want to be here. Turned down a QO, turned down mutiple offers after that reportedly...which sucks.
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:13 am
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:Morales did not want to be here. Turned down a QO, turned down mutiple offers after that reportedly...which sucks.

yeah the "what if" scenario is Nelso Cruz.

5 black holes is a bit harsh. The team could use with either (or both) an outfield bat and DH bat. LoMo/Hart/Smoak/Montero can do the first base thing just fine, but we cant tie them up taking two spots in the order. Ackely is another that should at best be platooned.

Zunino and especially Miller are coming around.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:50 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Smelly McUgly wrote:Morales did not want to be here. Turned down a QO, turned down mutiple offers after that reportedly...which sucks.

5 black holes is a bit harsh. The team could use with either (or both) an outfield bat and DH bat. LoMo/Hart/Smoak/Montero can do the first base thing just fine, but we cant tie them up taking two spots in the order. Ackely is another that should at best be platooned.

Didnt Nelson Cruz take a one year deal in Balt after the Ms alledgedly offered a two year deal?
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Mon Jun 30, 2014 5:55 am
  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Smelly McUgly wrote:Morales did not want to be here. Turned down a QO, turned down mutiple offers after that reportedly...which sucks.

Didnt Nelson Cruz take a one year deal in Balt after the Ms alledgedly offered a two year deal?

I'm not sure we offered anything. maybe we did. speculation it would have been 2 years. He wouldve taken the one year to parlay success into a bigger deal (so really the one year deal is going to be a far better one)

either way, he seems a bigger "miss" than Morales in terms of what this team could do with.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:04 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    CALIHAWK1 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

I'm not sure we offered anything. maybe we did. speculation it would have been 2 years. He wouldve taken the one year to parlay success into a bigger deal (so really the one year deal is going to be a far better one)

either way, he seems a bigger "miss" than Morales in terms of what this team could do with.

The rumor was a two year $16 deal here. He signed a one year $8 in Bal. Whether we actually did really offer him that or not, I cant say for sure.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

Mon Jun 30, 2014 6:30 am
  • I can see why the 1 year deal was a better option for him... and it seems to be working. He'll sign on for double that next year.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 30, 2014 7:34 pm
  • Walker began the game poorly but settled down and threw a quality outing. Seven games over and the offense was rolling this evening.
    I am a firm believer in luck, and I found that the harder I work the more I have of it.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:02 pm
  • Morales is hitting terribly right now, too, just FYI. Small sample size and all, but just a note.

Walker made two mistakes and had some control issues, but he was inducing lots of swinging strikes! He just needs to mix his pitches a bit more, I think. Still, this was WAY better than your typical Erasmo start. Can you believe that Paxton is on his way back too?

I truly believe that this team is one bat away from at least getting a shot at getting into the ALDS. Jones is a legit leadoff man and Cano/Seager/Morrison/Saunders looks legit. Brad Miller may also be in the process of fixing himself. I am excited about this team.
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 30, 2014 11:38 pm
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:Morales is hitting terribly right now, too, just FYI. Small sample size and all, but just a note.

Walker made two mistakes and had some control issues, but he was inducing lots of swinging strikes! He just needs to mix his pitches a bit more, I think. Still, this was WAY better than your typical Erasmo start. Can you believe that Paxton is on his way back too?

I truly believe that this team is one bat away from at least getting a shot at getting into the ALDS. Jones is a legit leadoff man and Cano/Seager/Morrison/Saunders looks legit. Brad Miller may also be in the process of fixing himself. I am excited about this team.

IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:05 am
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:Morales is hitting terribly right now, too, just FYI. Small sample size and all, but just a note.

Brad Miller is back. and thats a very good thing.

Walker looked good. Shaky early, but settled in, gave us 6 strong with 6 K's. Great to have him back. a massive upgrade at the end of the rotation, and one that may push Young and Elias back.

One bat. I agree. Two would be icing. Just need to find someone to fill the DH or corner outfield and take some ABs away from Ackely.

Cano another homer....Jones 4 hits and 3 stolen bases?
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:35 am
  • I love what we are seeing from Jones! Incredible last night...4 hits, 3 stolen bases, raised his average to .289. What a revelation!

I liked what Walker did last night, and am hoping the initial control issues were just from being amped up to pitch last night.

However, does anyone else share my concern for what Iwakuma has been giving us lately? 3 out of his last 4 games he's been horrible. I hope he gets back to his former self soon...we need him like that.
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *

Tue Jul 01, 2014 8:55 am
  • Jazzhawk wrote:I love what we are seeing from Jones! Incredible last night...4 hits, 3 stolen bases, raised his average to .289. What a revelation!

I liked what Walker did last night, and am hoping the initial control issues were just from being amped up to pitch last night.

However, does anyone else share my concern for what Iwakuma has been giving us lately? 3 out of his last 4 games he's been horrible. I hope he gets back to his former self soon...we need him like that.

Pitchers go through slumps. its been a little disconcerting (as he's had the chance to extend some winning streaks for us) but nothing to be overly concerned with yet.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 01, 2014 2:37 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Jazzhawk wrote:I love what we are seeing from Jones! Incredible last night...4 hits, 3 stolen bases, raised his average to .289. What a revelation!

Pitchers go through slumps. its been a little disconcerting (as he's had the chance to extend some winning streaks for us) but nothing to be overly concerned with yet.

I'm not worried about Iwakuma,he has been in almost every game and yeah he had a bad inning here /there but they all do.Some pitchers are just lucky but in his bad outing it's been a 3 run homer with 2 outs and 1 run in another inning with no run support...He'll bounce back ..I'm more worried about the rookie fixing whatever he did that last game..We do need 1 good bat that has power/plays of ..We are in this thing..The A's got like 20 games in a row..
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 01, 2014 3:11 pm
  • I don't know how many times I have said this in past seasons, but I am really happy to have Michael Saunders back in the lineup.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:34 pm
  • Blitzer88 wrote:I don't know how many times I have said this in past seasons, but I am really happy to have Michael Saunders back in the lineup.
    I am too, he has progressed so much over the last 3 yrs..I don't worry about his production-Just the health..
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 01, 2014 6:48 pm
  • After a shakey start Kuma is finding his groove and the bats have come alive against the stros!
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 01, 2014 7:59 pm
  • Kyle Seager and James Jones are both THE BEST.
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Tue Jul 01, 2014 11:39 pm
  • It's been 5 long years since the M's were 8 games above .500 Ackerly had 3 hits-(maybe he shaves that thing off now)
    Great game by the offense..Kuma pitched solid...Lot of positives for this team going into the break..Pax may be back before long..Go Mariners!!!
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:51 am
  • The thing I've seen about this team that's different from last year's team, is that they're more confident in their ability, they're swinging the bat more. Also they're winning the games they should be unlike last year - they're not giving up like they used to. This is a fun time to be a Mariner fan!
    dumbrabbit
    NET Practice Squad

Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:46 am
  • Our boys are at it again... I really hope we can sustain this production.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

PreviousNext

It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:45 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information