2014 Seattle Mariners

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
Re: 2014 Seattle Mariners
Mon Jun 09, 2014 7:03 pm
  • I hope the White Sox keep losing and trade us De Aza. That, or the Dodgers offload one of their eighteen MLB-level outfielders on us (well, with a salary pickup).
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

--Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:14 am
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:I hope the White Sox keep losing and trade us De Aza. That, or the Dodgers offload one of their eighteen MLB-level outfielders on us (well, with a salary pickup).

who are we giving up though?

I think the ship has sailed on getting anything of good value for Franklin (maybe). Do we ship Walker or Paxton (if they ever get healthy)? Montero? (kidding)

thats why the Morales thing was such a bummer. But... he didnt want to be here. Actually made a decent decision for himself with the Twins. He will hit homers in their park.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 10, 2014 5:32 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Smelly McUgly wrote:I hope the White Sox keep losing and trade us De Aza. That, or the Dodgers offload one of their eighteen MLB-level outfielders on us (well, with a salary pickup).

who are we giving up though?

I think the ship has sailed on getting anything of good value for Franklin (maybe). Do we ship Walker or Paxton (if they ever get healthy)? Montero? (kidding)

Maybe someone like DJ Peterson would be attractive. We also have a few other arms besides Walker or Paxton. I think if Walker and Paxton got right, we'd ship a guy like Chris Young and be able to package him for something decent because arm injuries are up around the league, but until those two get right (and Paxton has had two setbacks now, so that is not a given), that won't happen. I don't know for sure because what I know about our farm guys, I basically get from Jay Yencich and from following the Rainiers a bit.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 10, 2014 3:19 pm
  • Seth Smith from the Padres could also be had potentially, guy is playing really well for the Padres and would be a nice bat. Although he is another lefty, still would be an improvement over other guys we have.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:31 pm
  • And Saunders hits the DL.........craptastic..........
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Thu Jun 12, 2014 12:58 pm
  • God there's nothing I hate more in baseball than the Ms losing to the freakin' Yankees. Sigh.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

ImageImage

Proud member of the 38 club
    hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:05 pm

Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:31 pm
  • Watching Jeter's final AB here was the first time I've shed a tear watching baseball in a long time. My all-time favorite non-Mariner. We're not going to see another one like him for a long time.
    "So between my friends and I we have been at every home game to date this year, and we have all been plotting the offensive plays called. " ------Anthony!
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:39 pm
  • Tical21 wrote:Watching Jeter's final AB here was the first time I've shed a tear watching baseball in a long time. My all-time favorite non-Mariner. We're not going to see another one like him for a long time.

Is he for sure not in the lineup tonight or something?
    bigtrain21
    * NET GIF Master *

Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:49 pm
  • bigtrain21 wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:Watching Jeter's final AB here was the first time I've shed a tear watching baseball in a long time. My all-time favorite non-Mariner. We're not going to see another one like him for a long time.

Ahhh, sorry, I meant the last one I'll see in person. I'm not going to tonight's game.
    "So between my friends and I we have been at every home game to date this year, and we have all been plotting the offensive plays called. " ------Anthony!
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Thu Jun 12, 2014 1:55 pm
  • Tical21 wrote:
    bigtrain21 wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:Watching Jeter's final AB here was the first time I've shed a tear watching baseball in a long time. My all-time favorite non-Mariner. We're not going to see another one like him for a long time.

Ahhh, sorry, I meant the last one I'll see in person. I'm not going to tonight's game.

Well the weird thing is last night Dave Sims made reference to his last Safeco AB and I figured that meant it was the last game of the series so I checked at the time and saw their was a game today.
    bigtrain21
    * NET GIF Master *

Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:09 am
  • Well after getting to 5 games over .500 the Mariners have gone on to lose the last 5 games and are one game away from being swept for a second straight series. For a team that relies on pitching and plays its home games in a pitcher friendly park you would think that we'd be better at home, however their 14-20 home record shows otherwise.
    mbtitleist
    NET Starter

Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:38 am
  • We suck again!
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:08 am
  • Blitzer88 wrote:We suck again!

Your posts suck. I would say "again," but that would be redundant since they always do.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:30 am
  • CurryStopstheRuns wrote:
    Blitzer88 wrote:We suck again!

Your posts suck.

Well, that's a little harsh...........
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:38 am
  • Interest now fading................
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

ImageImage

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Sun Jun 15, 2014 12:22 pm
  • Blitzer88 wrote:We suck again!

4of the 5 losses ate directly attributable to not plating runs with runners in scoring position... Just not getting the hits at the right time..
    Last edited by Uncle Si on Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 15, 2014 2:33 pm
  • Ahhh....the ebb and flow of an MLB season Mariner style. Seen this for over 30 years.
    Hey Cardinals..........The FUN is OVER !!!
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:29 pm
  • A win, finally!
    SUPERBOWL!!
    Hawkfan77
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:27 am
  • Largent80 wrote:Ahhh....the ebb and flow of an MLB season Mariner style. Seen this for over 30 years.

atleast there's some "flow" this year... instead of just ebb (or is it the other way, i'm not a sailor)
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:02 am
  • It's the middle of June and they're still around .500. They've exceeded my expectations so far.
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Mon Jun 16, 2014 6:12 am
  • SeatownJay wrote:It's the middle of June and they're still around .500. They've exceeded my expectations so far.

the little 5 game swoon sucked, especially since we had built some momentum going into a home stand. But i'm with you. we're in the playoff hunt in June. I'm optimistic about this group, but am always ready for a 4-5 game losing streak

Looks like Walker is ready to come back. Be nice to add a hitter.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:23 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:.........Be nice to add a hitter.

Felix agrees with you.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

ImageImage

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jun 16, 2014 7:21 pm
  • Now we look to be back with a 2 game winning streak after tonight...It baffles me how they have a losing record at home but then again as I have been asking"How many 1 run losses do the have"?They got to lead the majors in that and it's alway's with 5 hits or less it seems..I do think with what the team has it is doing a great job..Good hitters don't fall out of trees..I wish Edgar was the hitting coach..
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 17, 2014 4:42 am
  • hawksfansinceday1 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:.........Be nice to add a hitter.

Felix agrees with you.

apparently the answer to our hitting concerns is Jesus (Christ on a bike) Montero.

Glad to see him back up....
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:47 am
  • 5-game losing streaks suck.... but this team is doing so much better than I honestly anticipated for the year, that I'm still on board. If they can be a legitimate .500 ballclub - that is to say, not a lucky winning team like the '07 M's, but a team that honest-to-goodness scored as many or more runs than their opponents, I'll be happy.

There's no reality, IMO, where this year's M's can be anything more than a team with some genuine strengths and some real serious flaws. The only way this offense was going to be 'good' would be if players like Smoak, Ackley, and Zunino hit to their potential - their offensive struggles leave a lot of holes in the lineup. That could have been masked if players like Hart and Morrison could contribute, but they too have failed to do so (thus far). Franklin getting jerked around probably doesn't help him, Miller has tanked (though picking it up a bit more recently), and you're left with very few major league caliber hitters on the roster or in the farm.

This has been covered by some surprisingly excellent pitching from everyone except the #5 starter, but even if they land a bat at the trade deadline, that still leaves the team with several offensive black holes in the lineup. A team like that can still hit a hot streak at the right time, get into the playoffs, and make some noise, but I'd be surprised if they transcend that.
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 17, 2014 3:01 pm
  • They should take a flier on Grady Sizemore. Why not?

He's a lefty, of course, but Romero sucks so bad that having him on the team as a right-handed OF doesn't mean much anyway.

Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:16 pm
  • The Jesus went yard today ! I am loving this team even if they are inconsistent!
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 17, 2014 5:59 pm
  • It was nice to see them kick ass the last two days and not play down to their competition. Hopefully they can take the next two games down in San Diego before heading to Kansas City who have won their last 8 games.
    mbtitleist
    NET Starter

Wed Jun 18, 2014 1:55 pm
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:They should take a flier on Grady Sizemore. Why not?

He's a lefty, of course, but Romero sucks so bad that having him on the team as a right-handed OF doesn't mean much anyway.

Great idea...The guy could find himself again in Seattle..Lefty/righty don't matter when we need hitters and this one was among the best not so long ago..
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 20, 2014 11:11 am
  • It has been six years since Grady has hit .250. That ship has long since sailed. That translates to about .180 at Safeco. Keep going through young guys until one sticks.
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Fri Jun 20, 2014 2:49 pm
  • We need another bat. Badly.
    therealsm
    NET Rookie

Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:08 am
  • scratched out a tough win against a much improved Royals team, Kuma was not on :cry:
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Sat Jun 21, 2014 2:42 pm
  • Raul Ibanez got released by the Angels today. Worth another try or is he finished at 41?
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Starter

Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:26 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Raul Ibanez got released by the Angels today. Worth another try or is he finished at 41?

Sign him now! He has got to be better than our other DH options at this point.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

Sat Jun 21, 2014 5:34 pm
  • Blitzer88 wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Raul Ibanez got released by the Angels today. Worth another try or is he finished at 41?

Cool your tits sweetheart. Ibañez is actually worse than Logan Morrison statistically.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 22, 2014 12:57 pm
  • I know Ibanez would be great for sentimental reasons for the M's but trust me as an Angels fan, the guy is done. Absolutely top class professional on and off the field but he can't hit anymore, and it was disappointing that Dipoto and Sosh kept him on the roster for so long.
    Storts
    NET Rookie

Sun Jun 22, 2014 1:16 pm
  • CurryStopstheRuns wrote:
    Blitzer88 wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Raul Ibanez got released by the Angels today. Worth another try or is he finished at 41?

Cool your tits sweetheart. Ibañez is actually worse than Logan Morrison statistically.

I'm just posting to say that the above bolded is SO funny that I not only laughed out loud for reals, I had to post and thank Curry for making me genuinely laugh hard. I have been drinking, but even so, I still think this was funny on its own merit.

Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 22, 2014 4:41 pm
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:
    CurryStopstheRuns wrote:
    Blitzer88 wrote:

I'm just posting to say that the above bolded is SO funny that I not only laughed out loud for reals, I had to post and thank Curry for making me genuinely laugh hard. I have been drinking, but even so, I still think this was funny on its own merit.

My pleasure sir.

And, another win against one of the hottest teams in the AL. That makes it a sweep against the Royals and places us back in the lead for one of the two wildcard playoff spots.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Sun Jun 22, 2014 5:18 pm
  • Great win by the M's ..Keep it going.As for Ibanez-it's time for him to say goodbye..Retire as a Mariner and help the young guys..Go Mariners!!!
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 23, 2014 10:54 am
  • IndyHawk wrote:.......As for Ibanez-it's time for him to say goodbye..Retire as a Mariner and help the young guys..Go Mariners!!!

This. He's done I'm afraid.
    From the white sands
    To the canyon lands
    To the redwood stands
    To the barren lands

ImageImage

hawksfansinceday1
    NET Pro Bowler

Mon Jun 23, 2014 11:40 am
  • What would the Padres take for Seth Smith? I'm now on the "trade for Seth Smith" bandwagon.

Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 23, 2014 3:51 pm
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:What would the Padres take for Seth Smith? I'm now on the "trade for Seth Smith" bandwagon.

:13:
    IndyHawk
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 23, 2014 4:18 pm
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:What would the Padres take for Seth Smith? I'm now on the "trade for Seth Smith" bandwagon.

I have wanted him for the Mariners for 5 years.
    bigtrain21
    * NET GIF Master *

Mon Jun 23, 2014 5:11 pm
  • yeah Seth Smith would be nice, maybe we can trade one of our bullpen guys and a prospect for a bat.
    Lithium
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:44 pm
  • for a second the there I thought I saw the M's give felix some run support....wait a sec....what?!
    Lithium
    NET Veteran

Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:45 pm
  • I hope this outburst by LoMo is a final nail in the coffin for Justin Smoak. I hate that guy.

Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 24, 2014 9:43 am
  • That had to be the best Mariners home game to watch in its entirety, for quite some time. Thoroughly enjoyed it. Quieting those damn Boston fans is such a thing of beauty.
    "The problem with the internet is, that one can never trust the authenticity of a source." - Abraham Lincoln
    Hawker
    NET Rookie

Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:12 pm
  • Taijuan Walker pitched a CGSO tonight in Tacoma with 8Ks, 1BB, and 75 strikes to 34 balls in 109 total pitches.

More of that, please. Let's see some consistency and string another two or three dominant starts together.

Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:42 pm
  • Smelly McUgly wrote:Taijuan Walker pitched a CGSO tonight in Tacoma with 8Ks, 1BB, and 75 strikes to 34 balls in 109 total pitches.

More of that, please. Let's see some consistency and string another two or three dominant starts together.

I loved seeing that stat line when I checked the box score a bit ago. After his struggles this is a welcome change.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:59 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information