Cardiff fans stand up for the coach

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
Re: Cardiff fans stand up for the coach
Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:12 am
  • I guess if there is an incident during a Soccer match or any other sport then it's every other reason other then fan responsibility. Got ya.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
    .Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 10165
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Cardiff fans stand up for the coach
Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:13 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:I guess if there is an incident during a Soccer match or any other sport then it's every other reason other then fan responsibility. Got ya.


    Fan responsibility is not the issue...
    Saying the sport is the cause is..


    Look if you think rioting in an Egyptian soccer stadium as part of a purge of religious conflict, or the battles between Celtic and Ranger fans are similar to Cardiff fans singing at their owner then sure...go on.

    Just look a bit deeper is all..
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4847
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Cardiff fans stand up for the coach
Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:50 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:I guess if there is an incident during a Soccer match or any other sport then it's every other reason other then fan responsibility. Got ya.


    Fan responsibility is not the issue...
    Saying the sport is the cause is..


    Look if you think rioting in an Egyptian soccer stadium as part of a purge of religious conflict, or the battles between Celtic and Ranger fans are similar to Cardiff fans singing at their owner then sure...go on.

    Just look a bit deeper is all..


    There are no battles between Celtic and Rangers fans in the stadium. There was once in 1980 and they banned alcohol in the stadium after it. Games are well policed. Outside the stadium in rougher parts of town, at the wrong time is where the trouble happens.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 220
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


Re: Cardiff fans stand up for the coach
Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:54 pm
  • Before I come to the UK I was weary of football violence. I have since been to at least 50 games in a variety of stadiums and never encountered any violence or even been threatened. Part of that is because the fans are separated, but, thst said, in Stoke and Fulham, for example, my friends and I were able to drink with opposing fans in the opposing fans' pubs while wearing our Spurs shirts and had a great time. The reactions to the violence of the 80s have made English grounds very safe. I have seen worse at rugby games in New Zealand and frequently hear of much worse at NFL games. Heck, 4 people were stabbed last week at a game,weren't they?

    There are certain places I wouldn't go to support Spurs: Rome being an example. But, without doing any research, I'd guess that the UK, Germany, France, Spain, Portugal can go for seasons, if not decades, with barely an incident.

    As Glasgow says, violence in the stadium is almost unheard of.
    User avatar
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1263
    Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:12 pm


Re: Cardiff fans stand up for the coach
Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:53 pm
  • My point is that a lot of the violence associated with soccer matches aren't necessarily about the sport. The teams become symbols of deeper social/cultural identifiers...the games opportunities to pitch battle.

    I know where chris is coming from... Just don't see the Cardiff fans as a reflection of those deeper issues
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4847
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Cardiff fans stand up for the coach
Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:09 pm
  • I'll say this and leave it at that, people using sports to promote a political or social statement because of the audience involved whether it's a violent riot or a group of people on the podium of a Olympic event are grandstanding and it doesn't belong there. If the cause your promoting is one that is important the people know about it, especially in this day and age of overwhelming media and communication. Too many innocent people are hurt with the staging of these demonstrations for a cause they have nothing to do with.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
    .Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 10165
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


Re: Cardiff fans stand up for the coach
Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:18 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:I'll say this and leave it at that, people using sports to promote a political or social statement because of the audience involved whether it's a violent riot or a group of people on the podium of a Olympic event are grandstanding and it doesn't belong there. If the cause your promoting is one that is important the people know about it, especially in this day and age of overwhelming media and communication. Too many innocent people are hurt with the staging of these demonstrations for a cause they have nothing to do with.



    No argument here Chris.... Its a social phenomenon... And soccer has a history of it, some of which you have read. Its really quite fascinating.

    The Cardiff fans are just hard working Welsh folk supporting their small club and its manager in song against a foreign owner.

    Not a fair comparison to what you're alluding to. But yes it does exist... Politics, race, religion, economics all have been battled about at the expense of a soccer match. We've been lucky in the US.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4847
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


Re: Cardiff fans stand up for the coach
Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:24 am
  • Vincent Tan is a total loon. Literally a guy who has acquired a new toy that he doesn't know how to use. This is the problem with obscure owners that no one really knows about - the exact same can be said for the Blackburn Rovers owners (Venkys).
    User avatar
    British Hawk
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 39
    Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:36 am
    Location: Sheffield, United Kingdom


Re: Cardiff fans stand up for the coach
Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:10 am
  • I bet Cardiff fans weren't complaining when they got a new stadium and promoted to the PL. I remember them playing at Ninian Park in front of 5k and they were always a nasty bunch. Sod em.
    User avatar
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 752
    Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:08 pm


Re: Cardiff fans stand up for the coach
Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:33 am
  • Smurf wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    So threats of riots is ok for fans?



    Yes.

    Stating passion via rash statements is sort of what soccer fans are known for.

    now when they carry out what they say they will do...then thats bad...

    I mean, the Sounders fans sing a song about taking the other team, lining them up on against a wall and shooting them....


    I agree with Smurf on this. A lot of clubs supporters have chants that aren't exactly "PG".
    User avatar
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1794
    Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:29 pm
    Location: SW Florida


Re: Cardiff fans stand up for the coach
Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:44 am
  • British Hawk wrote:Vincent Tan is a total loon. Literally a guy who has acquired a new toy that he doesn't know how to use. This is the problem with obscure owners that no one really knows about - the exact same can be said for the Blackburn Rovers owners (Venkys).


    Vincent Tan seems to think he knows what he's doing, but he really doesn't. I'd say he's acting like a retarded monkey. Who changes an entire image of a club because he doesn't like the way it looked before? He changed the badge to have a dragon, cause he claimed it would be lucky. He changed the club's primary kit color to red, cause he thought it'd be lucky. And recently there was a rumor that he only wants to bring in players who's birth year has an 8 in it, cause he thinks it's lucky. I swear it seems like Tan is using fortune cookies to run this club.
    User avatar
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1794
    Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 7:29 pm
    Location: SW Florida




It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:33 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]




Information
  • Who is online