Cardiff fans stand up for the coach

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
Cardiff fans stand up for the coach
Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:04 pm
  • Throughout Cardiffa game and for 20mins!!! After the game the fans sang in support if their coach. Owner has basically determined that the coach Mackay will get fired or leave

http://youtu.be/9j8dZT5Bpb0

20 minutes of don't sack Mackay or you will have riots on your hands

Refreshing compared to fans continuously wanting to fire the coach. Furthermore soccer fans passion will never (for both good and bad) be replicated....
    2014 inagural .net Survivor pool CHAMPION
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Re: Cardiff fans stand up for the coach
Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:17 pm
  • mikeak wrote:Throughout Cardiffa game and for 20mins!!! After the game the fans sang in support if their coach. Owner has basically determined that the coach Mackay will get fired or leave

Refreshing compared to fans continuously wanting to fire the coach. Furthermore soccer fans passion will never (for both good and bad) be replicated....

I disagree, fanatics of religion do it time and time again, Crusades are a good example. My opinion is soccer fans go way to far and many times it appears motivated beyond the game.

Certain Soccer fans have a ways to go to reach the top of the idiots scale, although it appears they will keep trying.

Great fan support and passion does not need to include beatings, firebombs, killings and threats of riots and or other forms of violence.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:20 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    mikeak wrote:Throughout Cardiffa game and for 20mins!!! After the game the fans sang in support if their coach. Owner has basically determined that the coach Mackay will get fired or leave

I disagree, fanatics of religion do it time and time again, Crusades are a good example. My opinion is soccer fans go way to far and many times it appears motivated beyond the game.

Certain Soccer fans have a ways to go to reach the top of the idiots scale, although it appears they will keep trying.

Great fan support and passion does not need to include beatings, firebombs, killings and threats of riots and or other forms of violence.

Idiotic...these aren't fans under political and economic repression... Don't mistake the two.

Just hard working hard singing fans who belted support for club and manager
    Last edited by Uncle Si on Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:21 pm
  • Great display by the Cardiff fans today. The team really poured their hearts into the second half for their manager.

Shame it won't change the mind of one of the more ridiculous owners in the PL
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:24 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:
    mikeak wrote:Throughout Cardiffa game and for 20mins!!! After the game the fans sang in support if their coach. Owner has basically determined that the coach Mackay will get fired or leave

Idiotic

I have no idea what his comments had to do with the topic at hand (Cardiffs fans position Mackay)....they are generic comments geared towards the soccer hooliganism that transpired over a decade ago...

I'm confused.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Sat Dec 21, 2013 4:40 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:

Idiotic...these aren't fans under political and economic repression... Don't mistake the two.

So threats of riots is ok for fans?

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sat Dec 21, 2013 5:51 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:

Yes.

Stating passion via rash statements is sort of what soccer fans are known for.

now when they carry out what they say they will do...then thats bad...

I mean, the Sounders fans sing a song about taking the other team, lining them up on against a wall and shooting them....
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Sat Dec 21, 2013 6:17 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:

Is that really what you think is going on there?

Come on...
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 21, 2013 7:56 pm
  • mikeak wrote:Throughout Cardiffa game and for 20mins!!! After the game the fans sang in support if their coach. Owner has basically determined that the coach Mackay will get fired or leave

What does the Cardiff owner actually expect? I doubt they are going to do better with a different coach. The only time that has worked with mid to lower table teams is Southampton.

I think the Premiership is starting to eat itself. West Brom sack their coach who admittedly was having a bad run of form but still doing okay.

The Hull owner changing their name then the Cardiff manager changing their badge and shirt color.

I think these lower teams need to realize their level.

Mackay is quite right to sit tight and get a pay day. He's done nothing wrong and will go to another Premiership team.

As for Premiership fans- can they not come up with their own original songs and chants? Half them rip off songs Celtic fans started- that one Cardiff sang ripped off the Paddy McCourt version. Just can't get enough started with the green brigade and is used throughout now. Liverpool seem particularly bad for this.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Starter

Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:17 pm
  • I traveled around in Europe watching soccer back in the early 90s. Violence was on the downward then mainly due to some very tragic events at several stadiums. You can believe what you want about the violence but in general the passion for the team is awesome to watch and simply unbelievable to be a part of. My team played Barcelona at home and we had lost 3-1 away. We still sang for 90 minutes straight and cheered as our team played a 1-1 home. We could have made it close with some open misses but that wasn't the point. The point was the fans gave it all and respected the players for giving it all on the pitch.

The fans today did the same thing. Their team just lost and they sang throughout the game and post game to show their support. This is in a world where Alabama's kicker received death threats, twitter is full of hate speech and Coaches get run out of town if they don't win now.

That video gives me the chills and I couldn't respect them more
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 21, 2013 9:23 pm
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:

What does the Cardiff owner actually expect? I doubt they are going to do better with a different coach. The only time that has worked with mid to lower table teams is Southampton.

I think the Premiership is starting to eat itself. West Brom sack their coach who admittedly was having a bad run of form but still doing okay.

The Hull owner changing their name then the Cardiff manager changing their badge and shirt color.

Mackay is quite right to sit tight and get a pay day. He's done nothing wrong and will go to another Premiership team.

As for Premiership fans- can they not come up with their own original songs and chants? Half them rip off songs Celtic fans started- that one Cardiff sang ripped off the Paddy McCourt version. Just can't get enough started with the green brigade and is used throughout now. Liverpool seem particularly bad for this.

ffs wise up wee lad. Celtic fans - always the victim. Just like your sad wee club up there. Offended by everything, ashamed of nothing.

Big Jock knew.
    Colt 45 and two zig zags.
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:21 am

Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:15 am
  • If you were reading about hooliganism, or even if you actually read the articles you linked, you would have surely come to the conclusion that nearly all if these acts are reflections of gang/sectional/social/racial/religious conflicts. The football team is merely the identifier.

To compare the cultural conflict that led to the Egyptian disaster to Cardiff fans cheering their manager off is ludicrous and lacks even a basic understanding of hooliganism.

We can keep going (the cultural rights battles bring the under current of the Spanish riot.... The political repression in Brazil)
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:52 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:

ffs wise up wee lad. Celtic fans - always the victim. Just like your sad wee club up there. Offended by everything, ashamed of nothing.

Big Jock knew.

Always the victim lmao Very rich coming from a Liverpool fan! Your team has had nothing but excuses for the last 20 years. Just look at the Suarez incident.

I actually don't mind Liverpool fans though, always been a good bunch when playing Celtic. Newcastle fans by far the worst.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Starter

Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:00 am
  • So Cardiff fans shouldn't care because they're a small cub? You weren't a Seahawk fan in the 90s were you...
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:08 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:So Cardiff fans shouldn't care because they're a small cub? You weren't a Seahawk fan in the 90s were you...

Comparing chalk and cheese. In American sports you always have a chance of being top dog with drafts and salary caps. Not really the case in European football unless you do a Chelsea or City and spunk billions at it. The best Cardiff can hope for is being an Everton type club but they'll never be as big as Arsenal, Liverpool, Man Utds of the world. Heck im skeptical about Chelsea's place at the top once Ibramovich leaves.

It's not unreasonable to think that this year for Cardiff was about survival then next year being able to build on that. Mackay could have done that but their manager has no idea how to run a club. He gave Mackay a budget but didn't remember to include wages.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Starter

Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:10 am
  • Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:So Cardiff fans shouldn't care because they're a small cub? You weren't a Seahawk fan in the 90s were you...

Comparing chalk and cheese. In American sports you always have a chance of being top dog with drafts and salary caps. Not really the case in European football unless you do a Chelsea or City and spunk billions at it. The best Cardiff can hope for is being an Everton type club but they'll never be as big as Arsenal, Liverpool, Man Utds of the world. Heck im skeptical about Chelsea's place at the top once Ibramovich leaves.

It's not unreasonable to think that this year for Cardiff was about survival then next year being able to build on that. Mackay could have done that but their manager has no idea how to run a club. He gave Mackay a budget but didn't remember to include wages.

Still doesn't explain why the fans shouldn't care.. "Know their place" as you put it

I agree with you about Tan...but this is about the Cardiff fans singing at their owner pleading to keep a manager
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:18 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:So Cardiff fans shouldn't care because they're a small cub? You weren't a Seahawk fan in the 90s were you...

Still doesn't explain why the fans shouldn't care.. "Know their place" as you put it

Will you ever hear a Hull fan say "This is our year boys!". You will in the Championship I guess. What I said is probably more aimed at the owners who panic at this time of year but some fans have unrealistic expectations. Go on the Newcastle forums. For a team who have essentially won nothing they act like they have won the league and Champions league numerous times.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Starter

Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:54 am
  • Geordie fans gave their reasons. They believe Newcastle should be there with Spurs at the least.

But again, this was about Cardiff. You can passionately support a team with sights on promotion as much as one looking to top 4...
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:02 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:If you were reading about hooliganism, or even if you actually read the articles you linked, you would have surely come to the conclusion that nearly all if these acts are reflections of gang/sectional/social/racial/religious conflicts. The football team is merely the identifier.

To compare the cultural conflict that led to the Egyptian disaster to Cardiff fans cheering their manager off is ludicrous and lacks even a basic understanding of hooliganism.

We can keep going (the cultural rights battles bring the under current of the Spanish riot.... The political repression in Brazil)

This X1000
    mikeak
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 22, 2013 11:12 am
  • I guess if there is an incident during a Soccer match or any other sport then it's every other reason other then fan responsibility. Got ya.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:13 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:I guess if there is an incident during a Soccer match or any other sport then it's every other reason other then fan responsibility. Got ya.

Fan responsibility is not the issue...
    Saying the sport is the cause is..

Look if you think rioting in an Egyptian soccer stadium as part of a purge of religious conflict, or the battles between Celtic and Ranger fans are similar to Cardiff fans singing at their owner then sure...go on.

Just look a bit deeper is all..
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:50 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:I guess if there is an incident during a Soccer match or any other sport then it's every other reason other then fan responsibility. Got ya.

Fan responsibility is not the issue...
    Saying the sport is the cause is..

Look if you think rioting in an Egyptian soccer stadium as part of a purge of religious conflict, or the battles between Celtic and Ranger fans are similar to Cardiff fans singing at their owner then sure...go on.

Just look a bit deeper is all..

There are no battles between Celtic and Rangers fans in the stadium. There was once in 1980 and they banned alcohol in the stadium after it. Games are well policed. Outside the stadium in rougher parts of town, at the wrong time is where the trouble happens.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Starter

Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:54 pm
  • Before I come to the UK I was weary of football violence. I have since been to at least 50 games in a variety of stadiums and never encountered any violence or even been threatened. Part of that is because the fans are separated, but, thst said, in Stoke and Fulham, for example, my friends and I were able to drink with opposing fans in the opposing fans' pubs while wearing our Spurs shirts and had a great time. The reactions to the violence of the 80s have made English grounds very safe. I have seen worse at rugby games in New Zealand and frequently hear of much worse at NFL games. Heck, 4 people were stabbed last week at a game,weren't they?

There are certain places I wouldn't go to support Spurs: Rome being an example. But, without doing any research, I'd guess that the UK, Germany, France, Spain, Portugal can go for seasons, if not decades, with barely an incident.

As Glasgow says, violence in the stadium is almost unheard of.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 22, 2013 1:53 pm
  • My point is that a lot of the violence associated with soccer matches aren't necessarily about the sport. The teams become symbols of deeper social/cultural identifiers...the games opportunities to pitch battle.

I know where chris is coming from... Just don't see the Cardiff fans as a reflection of those deeper issues
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Sun Dec 22, 2013 6:09 pm
  • I'll say this and leave it at that, people using sports to promote a political or social statement because of the audience involved whether it's a violent riot or a group of people on the podium of a Olympic event are grandstanding and it doesn't belong there. If the cause your promoting is one that is important the people know about it, especially in this day and age of overwhelming media and communication. Too many innocent people are hurt with the staging of these demonstrations for a cause they have nothing to do with.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:18 pm
  • chris98251 wrote:I'll say this and leave it at that, people using sports to promote a political or social statement because of the audience involved whether it's a violent riot or a group of people on the podium of a Olympic event are grandstanding and it doesn't belong there. If the cause your promoting is one that is important the people know about it, especially in this day and age of overwhelming media and communication. Too many innocent people are hurt with the staging of these demonstrations for a cause they have nothing to do with.

No argument here Chris.... Its a social phenomenon... And soccer has a history of it, some of which you have read. Its really quite fascinating.

The Cardiff fans are just hard working Welsh folk supporting their small club and its manager in song against a foreign owner.

Not a fair comparison to what you're alluding to. But yes it does exist... Politics, race, religion, economics all have been battled about at the expense of a soccer match. We've been lucky in the US.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:24 am
  • Vincent Tan is a total loon. Literally a guy who has acquired a new toy that he doesn't know how to use. This is the problem with obscure owners that no one really knows about - the exact same can be said for the Blackburn Rovers owners (Venkys).
    British Hawk
    NET Bench Warmer

Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:10 am
  • I bet Cardiff fans weren't complaining when they got a new stadium and promoted to the PL. I remember them playing at Ninian Park in front of 5k and they were always a nasty bunch. Sod em.
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:33 am
  • Smurf wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:

Yes.

Stating passion via rash statements is sort of what soccer fans are known for.

now when they carry out what they say they will do...then thats bad...

I mean, the Sounders fans sing a song about taking the other team, lining them up on against a wall and shooting them....

I agree with Smurf on this. A lot of clubs supporters have chants that aren't exactly "PG".
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:44 am
  • British Hawk wrote:Vincent Tan is a total loon. Literally a guy who has acquired a new toy that he doesn't know how to use. This is the problem with obscure owners that no one really knows about - the exact same can be said for the Blackburn Rovers owners (Venkys).

Vincent Tan seems to think he knows what he's doing, but he really doesn't. I'd say he's acting like a retarded monkey. Who changes an entire image of a club because he doesn't like the way it looked before? He changed the badge to have a dragon, cause he claimed it would be lucky. He changed the club's primary kit color to red, cause he thought it'd be lucky. And recently there was a rumor that he only wants to bring in players who's birth year has an 8 in it, cause he thinks it's lucky. I swear it seems like Tan is using fortune cookies to run this club.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 2:16 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information