MLS Splashing Cash (Defoe, Bradley, Edu, and now Xavi)

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
  • 1/17 Update:
    Yet another USMNT player appears to be coming home as DC United are reportedly going to pay Maurice Edu $1.2million a season to make him a Designated player. Reports are the deal is waiting to be finalized by the league...and that the league is upset at the price DC United are willing to pay Edu.


    In more news, its being reported that New York Red Bulls have reached an agreement to acquire Xavi at the conclusion of the world cup. The Barcelona star would certainly add a hell of a punch to Tim Cahil and Thierry Henry's squad.


    Si....I think we are heading closer to NASL levels here....and that kind of scares me.



    Original Post:
    Toronto today announced they signed Gilberto to be a DP. $3 million transfer fee.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gilberto_O ... uza_Junior

    He's a 24 year old Brazilian Forward. Great signing IMO.


    They also are rumored to have landed Jermaine Defoe for $10 million.

    TFC's new leadership is gonna try and play with the big boys now...



    UPDATE:

    Today the MLS Twitter universe is EXPLODING with news that TFC have reportedly come to an agreement with Roma to acquire Midfielder Michael Bradley.

    Legit Journo's like Ives Garcia, and Grant Wahl have began reporting the story.

    Also, Defoe is rumored to be officially announced on Monday.
    Last edited by Smurf on Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4333
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • From what I've been reading, no one around here really knows these guys.
    User avatar
    silverss
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 105
    Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:52 pm
    Location: Woodbridge, Ontario, CANADA eh!


  • silverss wrote:From what I've been reading, no one around here really knows these guys.


    Defoe is a legitimate goal scorer in the Prem. Has had some very good seasons with Spurs, some international appearances with England. Not sure why he agreed to the move. His days at Spurs were over but surely he could have found something better.

    Gilberto is a relatively strong attacker for the MLS. Nothing special anywhere else. Good signing for an MLS team (both are actually). Will inject the right type of quality
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4990
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • Uncle Si wrote:
    silverss wrote:From what I've been reading, no one around here really knows these guys.


    Defoe is a legitimate goal scorer in the Prem. Has had some very good seasons with Spurs, some international appearances with England. Not sure why he agreed to the move. His days at Spurs were over but surely he could have found something better.

    Gilberto is a relatively strong attacker for the MLS. Nothing special anywhere else. Good signing for an MLS team (both are actually). Will inject the right type of quality



    Agreed.


    IMO they spent the money in the right places.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4333
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • Gotta give new MLSE CEO Tim Leiweke credit if he can pull this off and make an heck of an offseason. Re-Branding/Building TFC seems to sort of been his own special project flying under the radar. He said from the start he was going to make big splashes with international players and this offseason is certainly doing that (granted though, it helps when you have the spending control of a $2 Billion dollar company)
    User avatar
    GCrow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 679
    Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2012 8:05 am
    Location: Canada


  • as it was a poor decision for Dempsey to leave the PL, it is a poor decision for Bradley to leave the Serie A. especially in a World Cup year.

    There is a reason we havent seen much movement in the big leagues of Euro soccer in the Jan window. Players dont want their preparation (and thus status with their national team) interrupted by swapping teams/(especially leagues.

    Two of the USMNT's most important pieces have done that recently. Jermaine Jones is out of contract at Schalke as well. IN contrast young starlet Green chose to stay at Bayern and joined the U19 German team just for more playing time and training. Its not just that Bradley and Dempsey are leaving Europe for the MLS, its that USMNT "stars" are not holding their own in the upper echelons of world soccer.

    All of this is ominous for the USMNT.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4990
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • Uncle Si wrote:as it was a poor decision for Dempsey to leave the PL, it is a poor decision for Bradley to leave the Serie A. especially in a World Cup year.

    There is a reason we havent seen much movement in the big leagues of Euro soccer in the Jan window. Players dont want their preparation (and thus status with their national team) interrupted by swapping teams/(especially leagues.

    Two of the USMNT's most important pieces have done that recently. Jermaine Jones is out of contract at Schalke as well. IN contrast young starlet Green chose to stay at Bayern and joined the U19 German team just for more playing time and training. Its not just that Bradley and Dempsey are leaving Europe for the MLS, its that USMNT "stars" are not holding their own in the upper echelons of world soccer.

    All of this is ominous for the USMNT.



    Jones is reportedly in negotiations with MLS or an MLS side.


    As a USMNT fan I dislike these moves...


    but as a fan of the MLS...its nothing but good. Having players like Jones, Dempsey, Bradley, Donovan will help the league grow.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4333
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • Uncle Si wrote:
    silverss wrote:From what I've been reading, no one around here really knows these guys.


    Defoe is a legitimate goal scorer in the Prem. Has had some very good seasons with Spurs, some international appearances with England. Not sure why he agreed to the move. His days at Spurs were over but surely he could have found something better.


    Looks like the UK well has run dry. In the last week Jermain has started following 2 Canadian pornstars on twitter.
    User avatar
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1271
    Joined: Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:12 pm


  • Smurf wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:as it was a poor decision for Dempsey to leave the PL, it is a poor decision for Bradley to leave the Serie A. especially in a World Cup year.

    There is a reason we havent seen much movement in the big leagues of Euro soccer in the Jan window. Players dont want their preparation (and thus status with their national team) interrupted by swapping teams/(especially leagues.

    Two of the USMNT's most important pieces have done that recently. Jermaine Jones is out of contract at Schalke as well. IN contrast young starlet Green chose to stay at Bayern and joined the U19 German team just for more playing time and training. Its not just that Bradley and Dempsey are leaving Europe for the MLS, its that USMNT "stars" are not holding their own in the upper echelons of world soccer.

    All of this is ominous for the USMNT.



    Jones is reportedly in negotiations with MLS or an MLS side.


    As a USMNT fan I dislike these moves...


    but as a fan of the MLS...its nothing but good. Having players like Jones, Dempsey, Bradley, Donovan will help the league grow.


    I don't buy this argument at all. By the time the World Cup rolls around, these guys will be in midseason form rather than in offseason training.
    Super Bowl Champions
    2013

    Conference Champions
    2005, 2013

    Division Champions
    1988, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2013


    "Hell no! I wanna go get my rang!"
    User avatar
    Seahawks1983
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 328
    Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 1:10 pm


  • To a point yes but not quite true... First the euro league send in May (or late April for some). So there is a month off to train with your national team. This works out perfect plus gives a few weeks to recover. 2...you're in mid season MLS form. That's a lot different than the Series A, PL, Liga etc.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4990
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • As someone who lives in Toronto, I'm approaching these moves with cautious optimism. I think everyone remembers the off-season the Blue Jays had last spring. All the hype they got from ESPN and Canadian sports networks last year, and then colossal failure last season was.
    User avatar
    StealthHawk
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 15
    Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:06 pm


  • Maurice Edu is reportedly going to DC United at $1.2million per season (Just stupid money for him, he wont even be a top 10 CM in the league).

    Xavi is reportedly joining New York Red Bulls after the world cup.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4333
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA




It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:14 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests