Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

The obsession with how many titles we have

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • I think it's the internet age, quite frankly.

    I don't recall having this level of intense hatred for the Rams in the '80s and late '90s when they were a very real thorn in the side of SF.

    As many smart mans of other teams have noted, it is the fans that make you hate a team more than the team itself. To see the hatred from other fans makes you want to get back at them, and rooting against their team is the way to do it. There weren't forums back in those days to get riled up over.

    Combine that with the hatred that comes with another team's success and you have your baseline. In Seattle's case in particular you have a coach that gets on people's nerves like our coach does, and you have two players in particular who are very annoying (Sherman and Tate). That adds to it.

    Also interesting is the forum fans can be a lot more extreme (naturally). I grew up in NYC most of my life after moving from SF, and never really got into it with Giants fans and only hated the team for some historic battles. If you go to bigblueinteractive, you see nothing but intense hatred for the 49ers. I rarely ever see that with people I know in real life unless of course they are masking it out of politeness.

    And with respect to why I see NFC fanbases "liking/respecting" the Seahawks so much (all these brown nosing threads I see on here the week of that opposing team's matchup)....it has more to do with Seattle being very new to dominance and the natural desire to support upstart teams. The 49ers have a historical hatred with a ton of NFC teams from the '80s and '90s that will never be lifted.

    Win a super bowl or two and all of that will change and you can enjoy being part of the Hated Class. I saw some "sympathy" for the 49ers this past decade, and as soon as Harbaugh revitalized the team it was back to the '90s again.

    This 49ers/Seahawk rivalry will have to be settled in the playoffs.
    NINEster
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1550
    Joined: Sat May 19, 2012 7:06 pm


  • I think some of it is the whole "Act like you have been there before" point of view. You have a team that is being seen as one of the best in the NFL and grudgingly given respect for how they play. They are a threat and have people's attention. You have a fanbase that is getting noticed for helping to impact play on the field when coupled with this very good team. Seahawks fans lash out at folks because they have caught flak for so long as a mediocre team. Other fans know Seahawks fans have a chip on their shoulder and can be riled up easily with XL and the lack of championship thing.

    The rings argument is a way to throw cold water on those who are sensitive to it if they are in a heated debate with a Seahawks fan. Also it is a form of elitism since the person arguing it considers his team part of NFL royalty. Whether one wants to admit it or not, there are NFL teams that are considered blue bloods of the sport. Raiders are probably considered the crazy uncle of the blue bloods, but still part of the royal family.

    I think there is a subconscious pecking order or even an overt one. Bill Belichek helped put the Patriots into this family, they were old AFL that old NFL cities didn't take serious until Bill B took Parcell's groundwork and grew it into a decade plus long period of excellence.

    If Pete and John are able to do something similar here for an extended period of time, the rings argument will ring hollow (I am so clever, Ha!).
    Leon Washington 2010-2012 Red Bryant 2008-2013 Golden Tate 2010-2013 Breno Giacomini 2011-2013 - Gone but not forgotten.
    R.I.P Les "PithyRadish" Norton 9/13/2014
    User avatar
    drdiags
    * The Doc *
     
    Posts: 10682
    Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 7:33 am
    Location: Kent, Washington


  • drdiags wrote:I think some of it is the whole "Act like you have been there before" point of view. You have a team that is being seen as one of the best in the NFL and grudgingly given respect for how they play. They are a threat and have people's attention. You have a fanbase that is getting noticed for helping to impact play on the field when coupled with this very good team. Seahawks fans lash out at folks because they have caught flak for so long as a mediocre team. Other fans know Seahawks fans have a chip on their shoulder and can be riled up easily with XL and the lack of championship thing.

    The rings argument is a way to throw cold water on those who are sensitive to it if they are in a heated debate with a Seahawks fan. Also it is a form of elitism since the person arguing it considers his team part of NFL royalty. Whether one wants to admit it or not, there are NFL teams that are considered blue bloods of the sport. Raiders are probably considered the crazy uncle of the blue bloods, but still part of the royal family.

    I think there is a subconscious pecking order or even an overt one. Bill Belichek helped put the Patriots into this family, they were old AFL that old NFL cities didn't take serious until Bill B took Parcell's groundwork and grew it into a decade plus long period of excellence.

    If Pete and John are able to do something similar here for an extended period of time, the rings argument will ring hollow (I am so clever, Ha!).


    Well said.
    :les: Remembering "The Radish"...
    HoustonHawk82
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 12351
    Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:51 am
    Location: Beneath, Between & Behind


  • Because we are always running our mouth, lol. I honestly don't know if the other cities get flak or not. But if you have to question why 49er fans like to remind us everyday then you aren't trying to hard.
    ceej22
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 236
    Joined: Sun Sep 30, 2012 9:36 pm


  • Giedi wrote:
    BreesIsOverrated wrote:I just find it funny that fans from the 49ers and other fanbases obsess that we haven't won a Super Bowl yet.... and that our city supposedly sucks as a sports town. I know we only have one major modern Pro title (1979 NBA)... but I never see the same thing being said about well... pretty much any other city. What makes us so much more hated than San Diego, Phoenix, Buffalo, Minneapolis, Cleveland, Nashville, Charlotte, Jacksonville, Atlanta, New Orleans, Cincinnati...etc and many more that have accomplished in most cases the same or LESS than our city has? It's like they have some personal vendetta against Seattle winning another title.


    The 'Hawk 12th man is definitely not overrated. They are a formidable team advantage for Seattle. I think that may have something to do with the 49er fans pointing constantly to their history. The Seattle fans are dedicated and vociferous and give you guys probably a good +2 wins a year alone on that excellent support you give to your team. The Bay Area doesn't have a 12th man that comes even within a mile of the Seattle 12th man.

    The other reason, and probably more important reason, is that Seattle is a good team this year. Nobody cares about the Rams this year. Why? They suck. Tampa Bay, same thing. Atlanta Falcons. Seattle is the class of the NFC and probably the NFL, and so the only way to counter that is past history that proves the opposing team used to be the class of the NFL the way Seattle is now. It should not be surprising, and Seattle fans should expect it, and simply move on to more relevant issues like match ups and strategy.


    This is probably the most admirable post about Seattle I've ever seen from you
    User avatar
    Shaz
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 396
    Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2011 7:40 am
    Location: Tacoma, WA


  • BreesIsOverrated wrote:I just find it funny that fans from the 49ers and other fanbases obsess that we haven't won a Super Bowl yet.... and that our city supposedly sucks as a sports town. I know we only have one major modern Pro title (1979 NBA)... but I never see the same thing being said about well... pretty much any other city. What makes us so much more hated than San Diego, Phoenix, Buffalo, Minneapolis, Cleveland, Nashville, Charlotte, Jacksonville, Atlanta, New Orleans, Cincinnati...etc and many more that have accomplished in most cases the same or LESS than our city has? It's like they have some personal vendetta against Seattle winning another title.


    Those towns know their place as losers. Seattle currently has the best team in the biggest and most important sport. If you want pity and nice remarks about Seattle, sabotage the hawks and go back to being a city of sport losers.
    User avatar
    plyka
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1342
    Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:40 pm


  • Popeyejones wrote:
    Diezel Dawg wrote: The Niners accomplished their Quest for Six Sunday, that was their Super Bowl, they are not going anywhere


    Just as a tip, the "that was their Super Bowl thing" about Sunday's game is pretty feckless and meaningless. 9ers fans being obnoxious and saying that about the Hawks regular season win last year was BECAUSE the Hawks haven't won one yet. 9ers fans just roll their eyes and laugh at Hawks fans who have tried to use it in reverse this week, because the whole point of saying it was that the Hawks have never won one and their fans need to pacify themselves with meaningless regular season win.

    As for the OP, it's only really some 9ers fans who say this. Not anybody else really. As for why they say it, it's pretty simple: they say it because it's obnoxious and it gets under some Hawks fans' skin. That's it. That's the whole story from beginning to end. It's a simple one. :D

    FWIW if the 9ers get knocked out I'm definitely rooting for the Hawks to win the Bowl this year. I'd root for the fans of any team that hasn't won one yet, but the Hawks being in the same division as my team (and also just personally liking the Hawks as a team) are good reasons too.


    No one is using this is as some sort of comeback, it's the truth. I've never seen such joy and celebration, than the niner players last Sunday. I was embarrassed for them.
    User avatar
    plyka
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1342
    Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:40 pm


  • I think when you guys snag your first trophy you'll understand. They are something of enormous pride; the kind of pride that makes you want to shout it out to the world. Maybe for some people it's in a boastful fashion, but for me it's just in a proud manner (though I don't typically use the "5 ringz" argument as a testament of anything).

    One of the fondest memories of my childhood was watching the 1994 Super Bowl in my favorite pizza parlor with my mom. I was only 12, but my love for football had started a few years prior, so it was the most unreal excitement to watch the entire season unfold and watch my team, above all others', prevail. I guess you can say I was indoctrinated into my fandom from my mother. She's a long time Niner fan and I was born two days after they won their first title... So in the Bay Area they were the bee's knees.

    When we look back on the teams that we love to root for, we cannot help but measure them against the competition - isn't that what football is all about anyway? So when you look back on the history of modern football, how else would you measure up teams? You can't use the current year only as a measuring stick of "best" or "worst" teams... It would be like saying that the Lions are a more successful and winning franchise than the Packers. I don't think it matters, how long it takes, as long as it happens. The Cardinals are possibly the oldest continuous team in football, and are one of the losingest of all time.... I guarantee they would trade 50 years of that history for one Super Bowl ring.

    If/when Seattle wins one, I can guarantee you, there will never come a point in your natural life that you will not be proud of it. There will never be a point when it will cease to count as a number of titles, and it will never stop counting in your heart either. To suggest that rings expire or mean less because they happened in prior years is foolish to me.
    JSeahawks wrote:We might as well rename this site Seahawks&49ers.net.
    User avatar
    60niners
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 230
    Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:22 pm


  • 60niners wrote:I think when you guys snag your first trophy you'll understand. They are something of enormous pride; the kind of pride that makes you want to shout it out to the world. Maybe for some people it's in a boastful fashion, but for me it's just in a proud manner (though I don't typically use the "5 ringz" argument as a testament of anything).

    One of the fondest memories of my childhood was watching the 1994 Super Bowl in my favorite pizza parlor with my mom. I was only 12, but my love for football had started a few years prior, so it was the most unreal excitement to watch the entire season unfold and watch my team, above all others', prevail. I guess you can say I was indoctrinated into my fandom from my mother. She's a long time Niner fan and I was born two days after they won their first title... So in the Bay Area they were the bee's knees.

    When we look back on the teams that we love to root for, we cannot help but measure them against the competition - isn't that what football is all about anyway? So when you look back on the history of modern football, how else would you measure up teams? You can't use the current year only as a measuring stick of "best" or "worst" teams... It would be like saying that the Lions are a more successful and winning franchise than the Packers. I don't think it matters, how long it takes, as long as it happens. The Cardinals are possibly the oldest continuous team in football, and are one of the losingest of all time.... I guarantee they would trade 50 years of that history for one Super Bowl ring.

    If/when Seattle wins one, I can guarantee you, there will never come a point in your natural life that you will not be proud of it. There will never be a point when it will cease to count as a number of titles, and it will never stop counting in your heart either. To suggest that rings expire or mean less because they happened in prior years is foolish to me.


    Except don't you think it's just a little bit foolish to talk about "five rings" when the last one happened before Seattle was even part of your division. Talk about irrelevant (at least if you want to compare to Seattle)!
    Polaris
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2024
    Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:19 am


  • Polaris wrote:
    60niners wrote:I think when you guys snag your first trophy you'll understand. They are something of enormous pride; the kind of pride that makes you want to shout it out to the world. Maybe for some people it's in a boastful fashion, but for me it's just in a proud manner (though I don't typically use the "5 ringz" argument as a testament of anything).

    One of the fondest memories of my childhood was watching the 1994 Super Bowl in my favorite pizza parlor with my mom. I was only 12, but my love for football had started a few years prior, so it was the most unreal excitement to watch the entire season unfold and watch my team, above all others', prevail. I guess you can say I was indoctrinated into my fandom from my mother. She's a long time Niner fan and I was born two days after they won their first title... So in the Bay Area they were the bee's knees.

    When we look back on the teams that we love to root for, we cannot help but measure them against the competition - isn't that what football is all about anyway? So when you look back on the history of modern football, how else would you measure up teams? You can't use the current year only as a measuring stick of "best" or "worst" teams... It would be like saying that the Lions are a more successful and winning franchise than the Packers. I don't think it matters, how long it takes, as long as it happens. The Cardinals are possibly the oldest continuous team in football, and are one of the losingest of all time.... I guarantee they would trade 50 years of that history for one Super Bowl ring.

    If/when Seattle wins one, I can guarantee you, there will never come a point in your natural life that you will not be proud of it. There will never be a point when it will cease to count as a number of titles, and it will never stop counting in your heart either. To suggest that rings expire or mean less because they happened in prior years is foolish to me.


    Except don't you think it's just a little bit foolish to talk about "five rings" when the last one happened before Seattle was even part of your division. Talk about irrelevant (at least if you want to compare to Seattle)!

    Well like I said, I don't tend to use that argument. The whole comparison thing between rival fans just becomes ugly, it's like an angry passing match. When people just sit around and talk football and teams and blah blah blah, it's much more casual... But when fans of rivaling teams are involved it somehow gets personal. Like, somehow it's an extension of the individual. So if I wanted to compare the Niners to the Seahawks, there would be no motive for me to do it that doesn't involve me trying to be better than you. I'd rather just talk about how they match up and strengths and weaknesses, and postulate on the future and such. Kinda got on a tangent but that's sort of why I don't bother with the 5 rings argument. Either way you cut it though, 5 is more than zero :p

    Sorry, had to lol.
    JSeahawks wrote:We might as well rename this site Seahawks&49ers.net.
    User avatar
    60niners
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 230
    Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:22 pm


  • BreesIsOverrated wrote:I just find it funny that fans from the 49ers and other fanbases obsess that we haven't won a Super Bowl yet.... and that our city supposedly sucks as a sports town. I know we only have one major modern Pro title (1979 NBA)... but I never see the same thing being said about well... pretty much any other city. What makes us so much more hated than San Diego, Phoenix, Buffalo, Minneapolis, Cleveland, Nashville, Charlotte, Jacksonville, Atlanta, New Orleans, Cincinnati...etc and many more that have accomplished in most cases the same or LESS than our city has? It's like they have some personal vendetta against Seattle winning another title.

    Giants fans do like poking at Eagles fans that they have never won a Super Bowl and that their last Championship was in 1949.

    We also like mentioning to them that since the ending of the Pittsburgh-Philly Steagles merger during the '43 season, the Eagles haven't done too much, while Pittsburgh has been one of the more successful franchises in the SB era. They kinda hate that.
    "The chief benefit, which results from philosophy, arises in an indirect manner, and proceeds more from its secret, insensible influence, than from its immediate application." ~David Hume
    User avatar
    Chaosist
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 147
    Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 6:35 pm
    Location: Upstate New York


  • 60niners wrote:Either way you cut it though, 5 is more than zero :p

    Sorry, had to lol.


    Sorry, but zero is equal to zero. Seems to me that since 2002 when Seattle (re)joined the NFCW (comparing apples to apples) our teams have the same number of superbowl appearences (1), same number of superbowl victories(0), and we have 4 division titles to your two.

    Just saying.
    Polaris
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2024
    Joined: Tue Oct 08, 2013 12:19 am


  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    HawkWow wrote:If only the Nordstroms had been mobsters. ; )

    Hell, if only we had hit our early 30-years-into-the-franchise mark before the salary cap era.

    "You couldn't buy championships before there was a salary cap!" <-- 49ers fans.

    "HAHAHAHAHAHAHA good one, noob." <-- Yankees fans.


    I actually did LOL.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6740
    Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:20 pm
    Location: The 5-0


  • 60niners wrote:I think when you guys snag your first trophy you'll understand. They are something of enormous pride; the kind of pride that makes you want to shout it out to the world. Maybe for some people it's in a boastful fashion, but for me it's just in a proud manner (though I don't typically use the "5 ringz" argument as a testament of anything).

    One of the fondest memories of my childhood was watching the 1994 Super Bowl in my favorite pizza parlor with my mom. I was only 12, but my love for football had started a few years prior, so it was the most unreal excitement to watch the entire season unfold and watch my team, above all others', prevail. I guess you can say I was indoctrinated into my fandom from my mother. She's a long time Niner fan and I was born two days after they won their first title... So in the Bay Area they were the bee's knees.

    When we look back on the teams that we love to root for, we cannot help but measure them against the competition - isn't that what football is all about anyway? So when you look back on the history of modern football, how else would you measure up teams? You can't use the current year only as a measuring stick of "best" or "worst" teams... It would be like saying that the Lions are a more successful and winning franchise than the Packers. I don't think it matters, how long it takes, as long as it happens. The Cardinals are possibly the oldest continuous team in football, and are one of the losingest of all time.... I guarantee they would trade 50 years of that history for one Super Bowl ring.

    If/when Seattle wins one, I can guarantee you, there will never come a point in your natural life that you will not be proud of it. There will never be a point when it will cease to count as a number of titles, and it will never stop counting in your heart either. To suggest that rings expire or mean less because they happened in prior years is foolish to me.


    that's beautiful man
    Image
    User avatar
    dunceface
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3678
    Joined: Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:29 am


  • dopeboy206 wrote:
    HawkWow wrote:It's more difficult to win a National Championship than it is to win a SuperBowl. Seattle's UW has 2 such championships.


    People outside of the Seattle area recognize U of Washington having 1. Officially the Huskies only has 1 and not 2 like most Husky fans believe.


    And I recognize it's likely the Cougs, Ducks and Beaver fans, that are also Seahawk fans, contributing to the impression Seattle hasn't won anything. ; )
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6740
    Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:20 pm
    Location: The 5-0


  • Polaris wrote:
    60niners wrote:Either way you cut it though, 5 is more than zero :p

    Sorry, had to lol.


    Sorry, but zero is equal to zero. Seems to me that since 2002 when Seattle (re)joined the NFCW (comparing apples to apples) our teams have the same number of superbowl appearences (1), same number of superbowl victories(0), and we have 4 division titles to your two.

    Just saying.

    That comment was made in jest, as I just finished saying how I don't care for that argument.

    That's a perfect example of the point I was trying to make; they don't expire. It is through no fault of the fans, or the 49ers that the NFL decided to realign the divisions. It doesn't erase the championships.

    Anyway, right now is right now. Both teams are doing great. When the lean years come again though, and they always will... You'll remember the good years, exipred super bowl rings and all.
    JSeahawks wrote:We might as well rename this site Seahawks&49ers.net.
    User avatar
    60niners
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 230
    Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:22 pm


  • I think it's damn impressive SF has 5 rings. At least one of those rings, compliments of arguably the greatest team in NFL history.

    As a Hawk fan, I find it very difficult to argue with a Niner fan once he brings championships into the conversation. The battle is lost. Unsure how those titles can be ignored while remaining unbiased. It's our job to keep them from getting a 6th.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6740
    Joined: Mon Sep 03, 2012 6:20 pm
    Location: The 5-0


  • They should know some 49ers history.

    1946-1949: Zero AAFC championship games won
    1950-1969: Zero NFL championship games won
    1970-1981: Zero Super Bowl championship games won

    So, it took the 49ers 36 years to finally bring home a real championship trophy...and when did the Seahawks start playing? 1976.

    I don't understand why the Seahawks are labelled losers just because they haven't won anything in 37 years (yet). The Seahawks will be no different than the 49ers in terms of the timing of winning their first Super Bowl.
    User avatar
    rsm650
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 392
    Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:45 pm
    Location: Pittsburgh, PA


  • rsm650 wrote:They should know some 49ers history.

    1946-1949: Zero AAFC championship games won
    1950-1969: Zero NFL championship games won
    1970-1981: Zero Super Bowl championship games won

    So, it took the 49ers 36 years to finally bring home a real championship trophy...and when did the Seahawks start playing? 1976.

    I don't understand why the Seahawks are labelled losers just because they haven't won anything in 37 years (yet). The Seahawks will be no different than the 49ers in terms of the timing of winning their first Super Bowl.

    Why would you assume the fans don't know the history? I'm pretty sure most fans who know that there are 5 championships, probably know when they came. If you know when they came, you clearly know when they didn't come.
    JSeahawks wrote:We might as well rename this site Seahawks&49ers.net.
    User avatar
    60niners
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 230
    Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:22 pm


  • 60niners wrote:Why would you assume the fans don't know the history? I'm pretty sure most fans who know that there are 5 championships, probably know when they came. If you know when they came, you clearly know when they didn't come.


    Okay, probably ignorant of me to say every fan. I don't have cable TV, so I'm stuck with reading online articles for my sports news - including the Facebook comments on ESPN articles...find any Hawk article on ESPN and I guarantee that the most liked comment will be how the Seahawks haven't won anything :|
    User avatar
    rsm650
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 392
    Joined: Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:45 pm
    Location: Pittsburgh, PA


  • rsm650 wrote:
    60niners wrote:Why would you assume the fans don't know the history? I'm pretty sure most fans who know that there are 5 championships, probably know when they came. If you know when they came, you clearly know when they didn't come.


    Okay, probably ignorant of me to say every fan. I don't have cable TV, so I'm stuck with reading online articles for my sports news - including the Facebook comments on ESPN articles...find any Hawk article on ESPN and I guarantee that the most liked comment will be how the Seahawks haven't won anything :|

    Now that is probably accurate :thumbup:. The quality of comments on YouTube or FB are just awful these days.
    JSeahawks wrote:We might as well rename this site Seahawks&49ers.net.
    User avatar
    60niners
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 230
    Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 12:22 pm


  • BreesIsOverrated wrote:I just find it funny that fans from the 49ers and other fanbases obsess that we haven't won a Super Bowl yet.... and that our city supposedly sucks as a sports town. I know we only have one major modern Pro title (1979 NBA)... but I never see the same thing being said about well... pretty much any other city. What makes us so much more hated than San Diego, Phoenix, Buffalo, Minneapolis, Cleveland, Nashville, Charlotte, Jacksonville, Atlanta, New Orleans, Cincinnati...etc and many more that have accomplished in most cases the same or LESS than our city has? It's like they have some personal vendetta against Seattle winning another title.


    I don't remember too many opponents fans even bothering with it outside of SF. Maybe a single poke from a NOLA fan, but that was just Niner emulation. I just don't see anyone else with any "obsession" about Seahawks titles other than a Niner fan. The funniest part about it is that they use it as a tool for comfort when they are down, or they actually believe that it matters when it just makes an already very large number of stupid people look even more stupid.

    I don't know a single Seattle fan of anything that has EVER said "whoa is me, we don't have a Super Bowl" or Series. That crap is nothing but Niner rhetoric.
    The only concern I have and I mean only is that Bevell will get cute and pass even though Lynch is gaining yardage. 1/30/2015 - loaf
    User avatar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!
     
    Posts: 6206
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:17 pm
    Location: Lake Tapps, WA


  • Giedi wrote:
    BreesIsOverrated wrote:I just find it funny that fans from the 49ers and other fanbases obsess that we haven't won a Super Bowl yet.... and that our city supposedly sucks as a sports town. I know we only have one major modern Pro title (1979 NBA)... but I never see the same thing being said about well... pretty much any other city. What makes us so much more hated than San Diego, Phoenix, Buffalo, Minneapolis, Cleveland, Nashville, Charlotte, Jacksonville, Atlanta, New Orleans, Cincinnati...etc and many more that have accomplished in most cases the same or LESS than our city has? It's like they have some personal vendetta against Seattle winning another title.


    The 'Hawk 12th man is definitely not overrated. They are a formidable team advantage for Seattle. I think that may have something to do with the 49er fans pointing constantly to their history. The Seattle fans are dedicated and vociferous and give you guys probably a good +2 wins a year alone on that excellent support you give to your team. The Bay Area doesn't have a 12th man that comes even within a mile of the Seattle 12th man.

    The other reason, and probably more important reason, is that Seattle is a good team this year. Nobody cares about the Rams this year. Why? They suck. Tampa Bay, same thing. Atlanta Falcons. Seattle is the class of the NFC and probably the NFL, and so the only way to counter that is past history that proves the opposing team used to be the class of the NFL the way Seattle is now. It should not be surprising, and Seattle fans should expect it, and simply move on to more relevant issues like match ups and strategy.



    Nice post and well made point by who of all people , a Niner fan? Don't do this anymore please. I enjoy hating SF fans.
    User avatar
    morgulon1
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4316
    Joined: Sat May 02, 2009 10:07 am
    Location: Spokane, Wa


  • BreesIsOverrated wrote:I just find it funny that fans from the 49ers and other fanbases obsess that we haven't won a Super Bowl yet.... and that our city supposedly sucks as a sports town. I know we only have one major modern Pro title (1979 NBA)... but I never see the same thing being said about well... pretty much any other city. What makes us so much more hated than San Diego, Phoenix, Buffalo, Minneapolis, Cleveland, Nashville, Charlotte, Jacksonville, Atlanta, New Orleans, Cincinnati...etc and many more that have accomplished in most cases the same or LESS than our city has? It's like they have some personal vendetta against Seattle winning another title.


    The Niners just won their Superbowl for this year.
    "Beast mode was engaged, and when beast mode is engaged, no one can stop him"-- Some skins fan
    "I envy that hard hitting Seahawks D. Love the attitude they play with." Justblaze2729 Denver Fan
    Hawk4lyfe
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 117
    Joined: Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:03 am


  • RolandDeschain wrote:
    HawkWow wrote:
    Bitter wrote:It is especially comical coming from 49er fans considering it took them approximately as long as the Seahawks have been in existence to win their first title.


    Nice....I never considered that angle. How many years was it for them?

    Unfortunately, fewer than we've been in existence. 35 years. We got to a Super Bowl before they did, but we didn't win ours...Supposedly...friggin' Bill Leavy..


    We won that super bowl and I will never say different...... so imo, we do have a superbowl title already
    Thank you :les: ... RIP
    sekiuHAWK
    NET Starter
     
    Posts: 324
    Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 11:31 am


  • Yeah because we should just talk about the Niners over and over and over again. Geezus
    We get it, the Niners were awesome 20 years ago.
    R.I.P. THE EDGAR, YOU WILL BE MISSED......
    User avatar
    SoulfishHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 9040
    Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2012 9:59 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • Not to mention the 49ers won their SBs in a era where there were no salary cap so it was easier to keep a team together.
    User avatar
    dopeboy206
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1012
    Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 9:47 am



  • BreesIsOverrated wrote:I just find it funny that fans from the 49ers and other fanbases obsess that we haven't won a Super Bowl yet.... and that our city supposedly sucks as a sports town. I know we only have one major modern Pro title (1979 NBA)... but I never see the same thing being said about well... pretty much any other city. What makes us so much more hated than San Diego, Phoenix, Buffalo, Minneapolis, Cleveland, Nashville, Charlotte, Jacksonville, Atlanta, New Orleans, Cincinnati...etc and many more that have accomplished in most cases the same or LESS than our city has? It's like they have some personal vendetta against Seattle winning another title.



    Atlanta won series
    NO won super Bowl
    Minneapolis won two series- '91 was quite possibly one of the most memorable ever.

    They talk about us now more than ever because we have guys like Richard Sherman who i love, making it sound like we already won when we havent. Its the brashness and cockiness that turns people off I think
    "We Have 70 Dollars And A Pair Of Girls Underpants. We're Safe As Kittens I'm Telling You!"
    seahawksny
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1325
    Joined: Mon Oct 21, 2013 1:09 pm


  • Here is some history for ya......
    The Cardinals were founded in 1898, and are the oldest continuously run professional American football club in the United States. 1898 and have never won a championship. I think that is funny. That's what they get for naming their mascot after a whimpy, non-predatory bird.
    User avatar
    Seahwkgal
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 4455
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:27 pm


  • Seahwkgal wrote:Here is some history for ya......
    The Cardinals were founded in 1898, and are the oldest continuously run professional American football club in the United States. 1898 and have never won a championship. I think that is funny. That's what they get for naming their mascot after a whimpy, non-predatory bird.

    Wow, that is absolutely terrible. I think San Diego and Phoenix get a free pass despite their garbage sports teams because they are in warm weather areas. The media thinks it rains here every day and that we are all permanently depressed.
    BreesIsOverrated
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 80
    Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:10 pm


  • Polaris wrote:
    60niners wrote:I think when you guys snag your first trophy you'll understand. They are something of enormous pride; the kind of pride that makes you want to shout it out to the world. Maybe for some people it's in a boastful fashion, but for me it's just in a proud manner (though I don't typically use the "5 ringz" argument as a testament of anything).

    One of the fondest memories of my childhood was watching the 1994 Super Bowl in my favorite pizza parlor with my mom. I was only 12, but my love for football had started a few years prior, so it was the most unreal excitement to watch the entire season unfold and watch my team, above all others', prevail. I guess you can say I was indoctrinated into my fandom from my mother. She's a long time Niner fan and I was born two days after they won their first title... So in the Bay Area they were the bee's knees.

    When we look back on the teams that we love to root for, we cannot help but measure them against the competition - isn't that what football is all about anyway? So when you look back on the history of modern football, how else would you measure up teams? You can't use the current year only as a measuring stick of "best" or "worst" teams... It would be like saying that the Lions are a more successful and winning franchise than the Packers. I don't think it matters, how long it takes, as long as it happens. The Cardinals are possibly the oldest continuous team in football, and are one of the losingest of all time.... I guarantee they would trade 50 years of that history for one Super Bowl ring.

    If/when Seattle wins one, I can guarantee you, there will never come a point in your natural life that you will not be proud of it. There will never be a point when it will cease to count as a number of titles, and it will never stop counting in your heart either. To suggest that rings expire or mean less because they happened in prior years is foolish to me.


    Except don't you think it's just a little bit foolish to talk about "five rings" when the last one happened before Seattle was even part of your division. Talk about irrelevant (at least if you want to compare to Seattle)!


    No. Just like the poster said above, once you get a ring you will understand. So far you don't have a ring. In fact, you want to be crowned without even getting to the Superbowl. Right now, Seattle is like some upstarts, you're really good this year, but still haven't won it. Last year you beat the Niners, but still had to stay home and watch us play in the Superbowl.

    I personally think Seattle is better than the Niners this year, probably the best team in the league, but if you don't win the big one, you will still be the same ole Seahawks, make a lot of noise but never can win the big one. The Niners, Cowboys, Steelers, NY Giants are storied NFL franchises, we're always looking to win SB's. Fans of those cites will always kind of thumb their noses at you until win a trophy.
    Last edited by Ninerg on Thu Dec 12, 2013 9:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Ninerg
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 73
    Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:25 pm


  • OP,
    It's simple really. "You don't have no rings" is a simplistic insult. Most people are simple-minded and limited in their ability to roll out quality insults. Therefore that one comes up a lot. There's not much more to it.
    User avatar
    MidwestHawker
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2046
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:26 am
    Location: Indianapolis


  • MidwestHawker wrote:OP,
    It's simple really. "You don't have no rings" is a simplistic insult. Most people are simple-minded and limited in their ability to roll out quality insults. Therefore that one comes up a lot. There's not much more to it.


    Unfortunately that's how its. The Niners, Steelers and Cowboys are racing for the most SB's trophies, not regular season wins or the most division titles. It's SB or bust.
    Ninerg
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 73
    Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:25 pm


  • Ninerg wrote:Unfortunately that's how its. The Niners, Steelers and Cowboys are racing for the most SB's trophies, not regular season wins or the most division titles. It's SB or bust.


    True or false: if a person brags about trophies their team won before they were actually born, they should forever be considered a drooling moron, or worse.
    User avatar
    MidwestHawker
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2046
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:26 am
    Location: Indianapolis


  • For instance, upon going to grad school at IU, I've adopted the Hoosiers as a secondary college team. I enjoy cheering for Hoosier basketball (I follow and cheer for Hoosier football too, but umm...that hasn't gone well so far). Lots of longtime Hoosier fans like to brag about the "five banners on the wall" for national titles in basketball. Out of a lack of desire to become morally obligated to beat the ever-living crap out of myself, I will never brag about those banners because they pre-dated my existence as any sort of fan of the program. If I ever do that, I hope that someone kicks me in the balls as hard as they can with a steel-toed boot and then stands over me laughing at the fact that they destroyed my ability to procreate.
    User avatar
    MidwestHawker
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2046
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:26 am
    Location: Indianapolis


  • MidwestHawker wrote:
    Ninerg wrote:Unfortunately that's how its. The Niners, Steelers and Cowboys are racing for the most SB's trophies, not regular season wins or the most division titles. It's SB or bust.


    True or false: if a person brags about trophies their team won before they were actually born, they should forever be considered a drooling moron, or worse.


    Let's compare to another sport. Do you think Yankee fans ignore their past championships? They still take great pride in the championships that were won going back to the Babe Ruth era. They would laugh at Boston, their most heated rivals, and accuse them of being cursed since had not won any titles since they let Babe Ruth go.

    You can't just be a prisoner of the moment. Right now, Seattle is a very good team, however you still haven't won anything. Why on earth do you want the rest of the NFL to worship at your alter when you don't have one single solitary trophy in your cupboard.

    Even if you get home field and trounce every NFC opponent on your way to the SB and you lose, you will be still be back to square one. If you win it, you will be forever spoiled and will expect win every year, if not, the season will be a disappointment.
    Ninerg
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 73
    Joined: Fri Aug 30, 2013 2:25 pm


  • MidwestHawker wrote:
    Ninerg wrote:Unfortunately that's how its. The Niners, Steelers and Cowboys are racing for the most SB's trophies, not regular season wins or the most division titles. It's SB or bust.


    True or false: if a person brags about trophies their team won before they were actually born, they should forever be considered a drooling moron, or worse.


    True
    User avatar
    dopeboy206
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1012
    Joined: Tue May 07, 2013 9:47 am


  • I'm OK with bragging about past championships. Isn't that what it's all about?

    I envy storied franchises like the Yankees who if you're a fan you've been going to ticker tape parades for 25% of your life.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12518
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


  • Sgt. Largent wrote:I'm OK with bragging about past championships. Isn't that what it's all about?

    I envy storied franchises like the Yankees who if you're a fan you've been going to ticker tape parades for 25% of your life.

    So you envy teams paying $200+ Million to buy a championship? Or their mythical titles when their was no true playoffs?
    BreesIsOverrated
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 80
    Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:10 pm


  • Ninerg wrote:

    No. Just like the poster said above, once you get a ring you will understand. So far you don't have a ring. In fact, you want to be crowned without even getting to the Superbowl. Right now, Seattle is like some upstarts, you're really good this year, but still haven't won it. Last year you beat the Niners, but still had to stay home and watch us play in the Superbowl.

    I personally think Seattle is better than the Niners this year, probably the best team in the league, but if you don't win the big one, you will still be the same ole Seahawks, make a lot of noise but never can win the big one. The Niners, Cowboys, Steelers, NY Giants are storied NFL franchises, we're always looking to win SB's. Fans of those cites will always kind of thumb their noses at you until win a trophy.


    Condescension suits you.


    I would like a picture of your ring. You know, the one the Niners gave you.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 14663
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • BreesIsOverrated wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:I'm OK with bragging about past championships. Isn't that what it's all about?

    I envy storied franchises like the Yankees who if you're a fan you've been going to ticker tape parades for 25% of your life.

    So you envy teams paying $200+ Million to buy a championship? Or their mythical titles when their was no true playoffs?


    Yes to both.


    We have the richest owner in the NFL, does that mean we have an unfair advantage because we have the nicest practice facility, team plane and financial support pot to pay coaches, etc?

    The Yankees spend a lot, but you also have to spend it wisely. IMO if you think that diminishes their rings, I'd say you're in the minority. Fans don't care, feels just as good.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12518
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


  • 60niners wrote:I think when you guys snag your first trophy you'll understand. They are something of enormous pride; the kind of pride that makes you want to shout it out to the world. Maybe for some people it's in a boastful fashion, but for me it's just in a proud manner (though I don't typically use the "5 ringz" argument as a testament of anything).

    One of the fondest memories of my childhood was watching the 1994 Super Bowl in my favorite pizza parlor with my mom. I was only 12, but my love for football had started a few years prior, so it was the most unreal excitement to watch the entire season unfold and watch my team, above all others', prevail. I guess you can say I was indoctrinated into my fandom from my mother. She's a long time Niner fan and I was born two days after they won their first title... So in the Bay Area they were the bee's knees.

    When we look back on the teams that we love to root for, we cannot help but measure them against the competition - isn't that what football is all about anyway? So when you look back on the history of modern football, how else would you measure up teams? You can't use the current year only as a measuring stick of "best" or "worst" teams... It would be like saying that the Lions are a more successful and winning franchise than the Packers. I don't think it matters, how long it takes, as long as it happens. The Cardinals are possibly the oldest continuous team in football, and are one of the losingest of all time.... I guarantee they would trade 50 years of that history for one Super Bowl ring.

    If/when Seattle wins one, I can guarantee you, there will never come a point in your natural life that you will not be proud of it. There will never be a point when it will cease to count as a number of titles, and it will never stop counting in your heart either. To suggest that rings expire or mean less because they happened in prior years is foolish to me.


    :pukeface:

    If you're putting this much importance on a trophy OTHER PEOPLE WON this many years ago, you need a more exciting life.
    User avatar
    plyka
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1342
    Joined: Thu Oct 14, 2010 7:40 pm


  • And how many have the 49ers won in the salary cap era? ZERO. Hell, they've only been relevant a couple times.


    Further - where were all you 49er trolls a few years ago? I'm partner in a neurology practice in San Francisco, and am down there frequently on business. Never saw Niner fans in the Bay Area until this last year or two.

    I've been to multiple Seahawks-49ers games at Candlestick over the years, almost every game since 2002 actually. Back in the old days, I could pickup tickets to Candlestick for $20 by just showing up to the park and asking any old person if they wanted to sell their tickets. They'd be happy to sell them cheaply, even though I'm standing there in my Seahawks jersey.

    The fans were notoriously quiet, too. I'll never forget how, during the Singletary era, Matt Hasselbeck was holding his hand to his ear after completing a long pass. There'd be like 100-200 people in the stadium. It was like a golf tournament.

    My girlfriend preferred going to games in San Francisco because it was so quiet and laid-back. The only people at the game would be a handful of older fans who never even mentioned rings. You had to stay out of the 300 level though, because it would be full of drunk gangbangers who could never afford to attend a game in a real NFL city, but could easily get into Candlestick after buying tickets for $5-10 in the parking lot.

    The "fair-weather fan" label fits almost everyone in a 49ers jersey. They didn't even exist until a few years ago, and only show up when they're winning. The 49ers have the weakest fanbase in the NFL, so I literally have to stop myself from laughing whenever they speak up.

    Compare that to games I've attended in Cleveland, Detroit, Washington and Philadelphia - where the teams sell out even when they're doing poorly, and it's almost impossible to get tickets. I can respect those fans because they're there even when they're losing.

    You never see that in San Francisco. My friends down there say it's just because you have too many teams to root for. Your average 49er fan over the last decade went through phases - they started out a Raiders fan, moved on to the A's, then it was the Sharks, then it was the Giants, and now it's the 49ers. Open up their closet and you'll find all kinds of team gear, but you won't find any Niner gear purchased between 1995 and 2010, guaranteed.
    Last edited by HansGruber on Thu Dec 12, 2013 11:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
    User avatar
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2619
    Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:39 pm


  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    BreesIsOverrated wrote:
    Sgt. Largent wrote:I'm OK with bragging about past championships. Isn't that what it's all about?

    I envy storied franchises like the Yankees who if you're a fan you've been going to ticker tape parades for 25% of your life.

    So you envy teams paying $200+ Million to buy a championship? Or their mythical titles when their was no true playoffs?


    Yes to both.


    We have the richest owner in the NFL, does that mean we have an unfair advantage because we have the nicest practice facility, team plane and financial support pot to pay coaches, etc?

    The Yankees spend a lot, but you also have to spend it wisely. IMO if you think that diminishes their rings, I'd say you're in the minority. Fans don't care, feels just as good.

    This is the dumbest argument ever. MLB has no salary cap, NFL does. And spend it wisely? Give me a break... Ok then, lets see how the Yankees would do with a $23 Million payroll instead of a $228 Million payroll. Money is everything in maintaining a championship franchise in the modern MLB.
    BreesIsOverrated
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 80
    Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:10 pm


  • Ninerg wrote:
    You can't just be a prisoner of the moment. Right now, Seattle is a very good team, however you still haven't won anything.


    Hey, quick question... are the Sharks any good this year?

    Oh wait, why do I have to even ask? You're on a football forum, being a "49ers fan". Which can only mean that the Sharks suck worse than the Niners right now. So I'm going to go ahead and guess the answer - no the Sharks are probably not that great this year.
    User avatar
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2619
    Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:39 pm


  • BreesIsOverrated wrote:This is the dumbest argument ever. MLB has no salary cap, NFL does. And spend it wisely? Give me a break... Ok then, lets see how the Yankees would do with a $23 Million payroll instead of a $228 Million payroll. Money is everything in maintaining a championship franchise in the modern MLB.



    THAT'S the dumbest argument ever. I guarantee you if the M's had the biggest payroll we wouldn't be saying "oh well we're not very excited about this World Series championship, we had an unfair advantage." We'd be dancing in the streets just like Yankee fans do.

    But that's what I expect out of Seattle fans, we're great at justifying mediocrity for our sports teams. Falls right in line with all the other loser mentality excuses like "the league hates us"..............."the media hates us"..............."the refs hate us"................and all the other hairbrained conspiracy theories people puke up on here.

    One thing matters, and ONLY one thing. Rings. Doesn't matter how you get em. Period.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12518
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    BreesIsOverrated wrote:This is the dumbest argument ever. MLB has no salary cap, NFL does. And spend it wisely? Give me a break... Ok then, lets see how the Yankees would do with a $23 Million payroll instead of a $228 Million payroll. Money is everything in maintaining a championship franchise in the modern MLB.



    THAT'S the dumbest argument ever. I guarantee you if the M's had the biggest payroll we wouldn't be saying "oh well we're not very excited about this World Series championship, we had an unfair advantage." We'd be dancing in the streets just like Yankee fans do.

    But that's what I expect out of Seattle fans, we're great at justifying mediocrity for our sports teams. Falls right in line with all the other loser mentality excuses like "the league hates us"..............."the media hates us"..............."the refs hate us"................and all the other hairbrained conspiracy theories people puke up on here.

    One thing matters, and ONLY one thing. Rings. Doesn't matter how you get em. Period.

    Biggest if ever. And Super Bowl XL was officiated terribly and the outcome was impacted, even Bill Leavy himself said it. But I agree the media and league doesn't hate us, but the refs seem to.
    BreesIsOverrated
    NET Practice Squad
     
    Posts: 80
    Joined: Wed Dec 04, 2013 5:10 pm


  • Ninerg wrote:
    Polaris wrote:
    60niners wrote:I think when you guys snag your first trophy you'll understand. They are something of enormous pride; the kind of pride that makes you want to shout it out to the world. Maybe for some people it's in a boastful fashion, but for me it's just in a proud manner (though I don't typically use the "5 ringz" argument as a testament of anything).

    One of the fondest memories of my childhood was watching the 1994 Super Bowl in my favorite pizza parlor with my mom. I was only 12, but my love for football had started a few years prior, so it was the most unreal excitement to watch the entire season unfold and watch my team, above all others', prevail. I guess you can say I was indoctrinated into my fandom from my mother. She's a long time Niner fan and I was born two days after they won their first title... So in the Bay Area they were the bee's knees.

    When we look back on the teams that we love to root for, we cannot help but measure them against the competition - isn't that what football is all about anyway? So when you look back on the history of modern football, how else would you measure up teams? You can't use the current year only as a measuring stick of "best" or "worst" teams... It would be like saying that the Lions are a more successful and winning franchise than the Packers. I don't think it matters, how long it takes, as long as it happens. The Cardinals are possibly the oldest continuous team in football, and are one of the losingest of all time.... I guarantee they would trade 50 years of that history for one Super Bowl ring.

    If/when Seattle wins one, I can guarantee you, there will never come a point in your natural life that you will not be proud of it. There will never be a point when it will cease to count as a number of titles, and it will never stop counting in your heart either. To suggest that rings expire or mean less because they happened in prior years is foolish to me.


    Except don't you think it's just a little bit foolish to talk about "five rings" when the last one happened before Seattle was even part of your division. Talk about irrelevant (at least if you want to compare to Seattle)!


    No. Just like the poster said above, once you get a ring you will understand. So far you don't have a ring. In fact, you want to be crowned without even getting to the Superbowl. Right now, Seattle is like some upstarts, you're really good this year, but still haven't won it. Last year you beat the Niners, but still had to stay home and watch us play in the Superbowl.

    I personally think Seattle is better than the Niners this year, probably the best team in the league, but if you don't win the big one, you will still be the same ole Seahawks, make a lot of noise but never can win the big one. The Niners, Cowboys, Steelers, NY Giants are storied NFL franchises, we're always looking to win SB's. Fans of those cites will always kind of thumb their noses at you until win a trophy.


    Ridiculous.

    No one "wants to be crowned" anything. As long as Seattle goes further than they did last year, they are not "the Same old Seahawks" with a bunch of talk that amounts to nothing. First of all, this team is different kind of team to begin with. Built on youth and depth to supplement that youth as players in a system designed to take advantage of physical play and speed, with genuine competition in play at practice to hone their skills.

    Competition at practice makes the actual game for this team a lot more fun than it is for other teams. The Hawks feed on the chance to win and in case you haven't noticed the Hawks have been competitive in every game they have played since week 2 of the 2011 season. All they have done is improve since then. As long as they continue to do so, they are successful.

    The Hawks are guaranteed nothing, but their chances of getting to a title improve as the season becomes closer to ending. If the Hawks get the division and HFA for the playoffs, the chances become even greater. It is exciting and honestly a truly unique situation. If we just sat their worrying about the possibility of losing we would be robbing ourselves of the enjoyment of difficult ascension to the top. As long as the Hawks improve every year I see it as successful. At some point there is no higher accomplishment than the top. Niner fans told us that making it to the Superbowl means nothing in the 2005 season. They laughed at our pride for getting there. Then last year took the same pinnacle and turned it into an accomplishment to be proud of.

    You will never hear a Seahawks fan criticizing another franchise for not having a championship. Whether the Hawks win 1, 5 or ZERO. You say we don't know because we don't have one, but I can only argue that with you don't know either because the Hawks don't have one.

    I am hoping we will find out soon. Seattle fans don't want to be crowned, they simply want their dedicated rivals to respect them as such and acknowledge that they are a quality team rather than just constantly making up reasons to diminish the quality of the game they bring.
    The only concern I have and I mean only is that Bevell will get cute and pass even though Lynch is gaining yardage. 1/30/2015 - loaf
    User avatar
    loafoftatupu
    I'M JIMMY!
     
    Posts: 6206
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 1:17 pm
    Location: Lake Tapps, WA


  • Sgt. Largent wrote:
    BreesIsOverrated wrote:This is the dumbest argument ever. MLB has no salary cap, NFL does. And spend it wisely? Give me a break... Ok then, lets see how the Yankees would do with a $23 Million payroll instead of a $228 Million payroll. Money is everything in maintaining a championship franchise in the modern MLB.



    THAT'S the dumbest argument ever. I guarantee you if the M's had the biggest payroll we wouldn't be saying "oh well we're not very excited about this World Series championship, we had an unfair advantage." We'd be dancing in the streets just like Yankee fans do.

    But that's what I expect out of Seattle fans, we're great at justifying mediocrity for our sports teams. Falls right in line with all the other loser mentality excuses like "the league hates us"..............."the media hates us"..............."the refs hate us"................and all the other hairbrained conspiracy theories people puke up on here.

    One thing matters, and ONLY one thing. Rings. Doesn't matter how you get em. Period.


    Yours is kind of a dumb argument because you are arguing something entirely different than what he said, and you never disproved his point. He said baseball championships are bought. Which they are. We all know who will be in the World Series before it ever happens, and there are only a few teams worth watching, who all continually try to outbid each other for a championship. Are you arguing that is false?
    User avatar
    HansGruber
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2619
    Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:39 pm


PreviousNext


It is currently Fri Jul 20, 2018 4:52 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 43 guests