The obsession with how many titles we have

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
  • I just find it funny that fans from the 49ers and other fanbases obsess that we haven't won a Super Bowl yet.... and that our city supposedly sucks as a sports town. I know we only have one major modern Pro title (1979 NBA)... but I never see the same thing being said about well... pretty much any other city. What makes us so much more hated than San Diego, Phoenix, Buffalo, Minneapolis, Cleveland, Nashville, Charlotte, Jacksonville, Atlanta, New Orleans, Cincinnati...etc and many more that have accomplished in most cases the same or LESS than our city has? It's like they have some personal vendetta against Seattle winning another title.
    BreesIsOverrated
    NET Practice Squad

• because we're better
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

• We are getting there. I think we will be formidable for a long time and the Mariners are making a splash too. Its exciting for us fans.
    seahawks08
    NET Veteran

• BreesIsOverrated wrote:I just find it funny that fans from the 49ers and other fanbases obsess that we haven't won a Super Bowl yet.... and that our city supposedly sucks as a sports town. I know we only have one major modern Pro title (1979 NBA)... but I never see the same thing being said about well... pretty much any other city. What makes us so much more hated than San Diego, Phoenix, Buffalo, Minneapolis, Cleveland, Nashville, Charlotte, Jacksonville, Atlanta, New Orleans, Cincinnati...etc and many more that have accomplished in most cases the same or LESS than our city has? It's like they have some personal vendetta against Seattle winning another title.

Stanley Cup............ 1917. :stirthepot:
    So if we get an NHL team, we can instantly talk smack?

BTW, first American Stanley Cup in history.
    ZorntoLargent
    NET Starter

• ZorntoLargent wrote:
    BreesIsOverrated wrote:I just find it funny that fans from the 49ers and other fanbases obsess that we haven't won a Super Bowl yet.... and that our city supposedly sucks as a sports town. I know we only have one major modern Pro title (1979 NBA)... but I never see the same thing being said about well... pretty much any other city. What makes us so much more hated than San Diego, Phoenix, Buffalo, Minneapolis, Cleveland, Nashville, Charlotte, Jacksonville, Atlanta, New Orleans, Cincinnati...etc and many more that have accomplished in most cases the same or LESS than our city has? It's like they have some personal vendetta against Seattle winning another title.

Good point, what has the Bay Area ever won in hockey? LOL. We should all troll the San Jose Sharks board with pictures of our 1917 "ring" :stirthepot:
    BreesIsOverrated
    NET Practice Squad

• seahawks08 wrote:We are getting there. I think we will be formidable for a long time and the Mariners are making a splash too. Its exciting for us fans.
    Mariners? LMAO! They need what the post-Mora Hawks got... a top-down management overhaul.
    HawKnPeppa
    NET Veteran

• HawKnPeppa wrote:
    seahawks08 wrote:We are getting there. I think we will be formidable for a long time and the Mariners are making a splash too. Its exciting for us fans.
    Mariners? LMAO! They need what the post-Mora Hawks got... a top-down management overhaul.

I would say the Mariners need a management enema which is IMHO what the Seahawks got post-Mora.
    Polaris
    NET Veteran

• A world class city. Industry leaders. Population center is small in relation to next biggest city. Then add ,Mountains, Ocean, Volcano, Nature, Canada -Montana -Idaho-Oregon close neighbors, Seafood, Hot women....so on so forth.

Seattle is well respected outside Washington and believe it or not fans outside of our division have a lot of good things to say about the Hawks.

What's not to be jealous of?
    Jay-Dog
    NET Rookie

• Even tho teams like the Niners have 5 titles, they are jealous of how good this team is, period. We are in the brink of a championship and they want to hold us down. With them, they will constantly go back to the 5 rings until we catch them. The Niners accomplished their Quest for Six Sunday, that was their Super Bowl, they are not going anywhere
    Diezel Dawg
    NET Rookie

• HawKnPeppa wrote:
    seahawks08 wrote:We are getting there. I think we will be formidable for a long time and the Mariners are making a splash too. Its exciting for us fans.

Don't hold your breath waiting for that to happen.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

• Diezel Dawg wrote:The Niners accomplished their Quest for Six Sunday, that was their Super Bowl, they are not going anywhere

+10000 :th2thumbs:
    BreesIsOverrated
    NET Practice Squad

• ZorntoLargent wrote:
    BreesIsOverrated wrote:I just find it funny that fans from the 49ers and other fanbases obsess that we haven't won a Super Bowl yet.... and that our city supposedly sucks as a sports town. I know we only have one major modern Pro title (1979 NBA)... but I never see the same thing being said about well... pretty much any other city. What makes us so much more hated than San Diego, Phoenix, Buffalo, Minneapolis, Cleveland, Nashville, Charlotte, Jacksonville, Atlanta, New Orleans, Cincinnati...etc and many more that have accomplished in most cases the same or LESS than our city has? It's like they have some personal vendetta against Seattle winning another title.

Seattle team won Stanley cup in 1917?
    dradee
    NET Rookie

• Diezel Dawg wrote: The Niners accomplished their Quest for Six Sunday, that was their Super Bowl, they are not going anywhere

Just as a tip, the "that was their Super Bowl thing" about Sunday's game is pretty feckless and meaningless. 9ers fans being obnoxious and saying that about the Hawks regular season win last year was BECAUSE the Hawks haven't won one yet. 9ers fans just roll their eyes and laugh at Hawks fans who have tried to use it in reverse this week, because the whole point of saying it was that the Hawks have never won one and their fans need to pacify themselves with meaningless regular season win.

As for the OP, it's only really some 9ers fans who say this. Not anybody else really. As for why they say it, it's pretty simple: they say it because it's obnoxious and it gets under some Hawks fans' skin. That's it. That's the whole story from beginning to end. It's a simple one. :D

FWIW if the 9ers get knocked out I'm definitely rooting for the Hawks to win the Bowl this year. I'd root for the fans of any team that hasn't won one yet, but the Hawks being in the same division as my team (and also just personally liking the Hawks as a team) are good reasons too.
    Popeyejones
    NET Veteran

• dradee wrote:Seattle team won Stanley cup in 1917?

Yep; the Seattle Metropolitans won the first American Stanley Cup.

Popeyejones wrote:Just as a tip, the "that was their Super Bowl thing" about Sunday's game is pretty feckless and meaningless.

Yeah, that's why we throw it back at the 49ers. Half your fan base said it 762 times after the last two times we beat you.
    Rams bet status: honored. Bradford still sucks.
    RedAlice is right.
    "VICTORYYYYYYY!" -Johnny Drama
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• It's more difficult to win a National Championship than it is to win a SuperBowl. Seattle's UW has 2 such championships.
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

• It is especially comical coming from 49er fans considering it took them approximately as long as the Seahawks have been in existence to win their first title.
    Bitter
    NET Starter

• Bitter wrote:It is especially comical coming from 49er fans considering it took them approximately as long as the Seahawks have been in existence to win their first title.

Nice....I never considered that angle. How many years was it for them?
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

• HawkWow wrote:
    Bitter wrote:It is especially comical coming from 49er fans considering it took them approximately as long as the Seahawks have been in existence to win their first title.

Nice....I never considered that angle. How many years was it for them?

Unfortunately, fewer than we've been in existence. 35 years. We got to a Super Bowl before they did, but we didn't win ours...Supposedly...friggin' Bill Leavy..
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• If only the Nordstroms had been mobsters. ; )
    HawkWow
    NET Veteran

• HawkWow wrote:If only the Nordstroms had been mobsters. ; )

Hell, if only we had hit our early 30-years-into-the-franchise mark before the salary cap era.

"You couldn't buy championships before there was a salary cap!" <-- 49ers fans.

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHA good one, noob." <-- Yankees fans.
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Its our fan base. We are the most admired/hated fans in the league. They just wish they could be like us.

One play? Yes.

Entire game? Not a chance.

It eats them up. It is simple jealousy.

"How can a fan base with no titles inspire this much love?"

Simple jealousy.
    shawnsim
    NET Rookie

• BreesIsOverrated wrote:I just find it funny that fans from the 49ers and other fanbases obsess that we haven't won a Super Bowl yet.... and that our city supposedly sucks as a sports town. I know we only have one major modern Pro title (1979 NBA)... but I never see the same thing being said about well... pretty much any other city. What makes us so much more hated than San Diego, Phoenix, Buffalo, Minneapolis, Cleveland, Nashville, Charlotte, Jacksonville, Atlanta, New Orleans, Cincinnati...etc and many more that have accomplished in most cases the same or LESS than our city has? It's like they have some personal vendetta against Seattle winning another title.

The 'Hawk 12th man is definitely not overrated. They are a formidable team advantage for Seattle. I think that may have something to do with the 49er fans pointing constantly to their history. The Seattle fans are dedicated and vociferous and give you guys probably a good +2 wins a year alone on that excellent support you give to your team. The Bay Area doesn't have a 12th man that comes even within a mile of the Seattle 12th man.

The other reason, and probably more important reason, is that Seattle is a good team this year. Nobody cares about the Rams this year. Why? They suck. Tampa Bay, same thing. Atlanta Falcons. Seattle is the class of the NFC and probably the NFL, and so the only way to counter that is past history that proves the opposing team used to be the class of the NFL the way Seattle is now. It should not be surprising, and Seattle fans should expect it, and simply move on to more relevant issues like match ups and strategy.
    Giedi
    NET Starter

• The other cities get it all the time too from teams like Pitt, Dallas, SF, etc.

And it is well deserved IMO. The history of pro sports in this city is beyond sad. I'll wear it. Gotta win some rings.
    "So between my friends and I we have been at every home game to date this year, and we have all been plotting the offensive plays called. " ------Anthony!
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• I bet it is pleasant as hell to live in the alternate universe where Cincinnati was smart enough to make Walsh the HC in the mid-'70s.
    "He's a *****. It's not that he was a *****, he is a *****, and that's why he hasn't won anything."
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

• Hey, the ladies with the Seattle Storm are consistently in the conference semifinals and have brought the bacon home twice.

They're Seattle's true champions in my eyes, that is until the Seahawks finish their campaign.

Go Hawks.
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran

• Old trophies has ZERO relevance to present performance! I won bowling trophies as a kid that doesn't mean I'm going to shoot 300 every game from that point on.

If you're crowing about old trophies then it means you are insecure with your team's present and near future performance.
    42-13, 29-3, and 23-17 and a Lombardi trophy from THIS millennium.....deal with it niner trolls

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sports Hernia wrote:Old trophies has ZERO relevance to present performance! I won bowling trophies as a kid that doesn't mean I'm going to shoot 300 every game from that point on.

Yeah, but you still have fond memories when you think back on it, don't you?
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

chawx
    NET Veteran

• AHHHHHH-OOOOOOOOO!

Go Hawks.
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran

• RolandDeschain wrote:
    Sports Hernia wrote:Old trophies has ZERO relevance to present performance! I won bowling trophies as a kid that doesn't mean I'm going to shoot 300 every game from that point on.

Yeah, but you still have fond memories when you think back on it, don't you?

Meh, it was always cool as a kid to get one, but the tarnish wore off quick.
    I wouldn't gloat about them 25+ years later, I've had better accomplishments on the lanes as an adult since then, but most of your better bowlers have done what I've done and more so it's not even a point of discussion and a I would never throw those accomplishments in someone's face that hasn't reached that level yet. That's a dickish move and as stated shows insecurity via a perceived threat.
    42-13, 29-3, and 23-17 and a Lombardi trophy from THIS millennium.....deal with it niner trolls

Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• As countless people have said, "It's not the ending, but the journey to it." Getting that final trophy makes the path you took to get there much sweeter. Come on, man; just admit it. Of course the 49ers fans are dickheads for how much they bring it up and under what circumstances, but just laughing it off as irrelevant to even think about or mention is you kind of doing the same thing on the opposite side of the spectrum.
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• Tical21 wrote:The other cities get it all the time too from teams like Pitt, Dallas, SF, etc.

And it is well deserved IMO. The history of pro sports in this city is beyond sad. I'll wear it. Gotta win some rings.

Beyond sad? I disagree. Maybe compared to Boston... but those cities I listed are no better. Phoenix has ALL 4 major sports teams with a grand total of 1 title... And how long have the Mariners and Seahawks been here? 35 years... LOL. Yeah our teams are ancient.
    BreesIsOverrated
    NET Practice Squad

• Giedi wrote:

The 'Hawk 12th man is definitely not overrated. They are a formidable team advantage for Seattle. I think that may have something to do with the 49er fans pointing constantly to their history. The Seattle fans are dedicated and vociferous and give you guys probably a good +2 wins a year alone on that excellent support you give to your team. The Bay Area doesn't have a 12th man that comes even within a mile of the Seattle 12th man.

The other reason, and probably more important reason, is that Seattle is a good team this year. Nobody cares about the Rams this year. Why? They suck. Tampa Bay, same thing. Atlanta Falcons. Seattle is the class of the NFC and probably the NFL, and so the only way to counter that is past history that proves the opposing team used to be the class of the NFL the way Seattle is now. It should not be surprising, and Seattle fans should expect it, and simply move on to more relevant issues like match ups and strategy.

This was cogently written. I agree, especially with your last sentence. Hawk and 9r fans can have profitable discussions about more important aspects of the game than just history, with players that are no longer playing, or even alive now.
    NET Veteran

• SouthSoundHawk wrote:Hey, the ladies with the Seattle Storm are consistently in the conference semifinals and have brought the bacon home twice.

They're Seattle's true champions in my eyes, that is until the Seahawks finish their campaign.

Zing!!! Women for the win.:)
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran

• I completely misread the subject line of this thread.
    "Pete Carroll brings in great elves...and they make the best presents."
    SacHawk2.0
    .NOT a Moderator

• SacHawk2.0 wrote:I completely misread the subject line of this thread.

Watch Total Recall recently?
    RedAlice is right.
    RolandDeschain
    *NET FCC Liaison*

• BreesIsOverrated wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:The other cities get it all the time too from teams like Pitt, Dallas, SF, etc.

Beyond sad? I disagree. Maybe compared to Boston... but those cities I listed are no better. Phoenix has ALL 4 major sports teams with a grand total of 1 title... And how long have the Mariners and Seahawks been here? 35 years... LOL. Yeah our teams are ancient.

Dude, you just compared us to Phoenix like it was something to be proud of.

I get it, we all want respect and think we deserve it. But we haven't won a darn thing. Until we do, we'll continue to be a laughing stock with a nice novelty of a loud fanbase.
    "So between my friends and I we have been at every home game to date this year, and we have all been plotting the offensive plays called. " ------Anthony!
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

• Tical21 wrote:
    BreesIsOverrated wrote:
    Tical21 wrote:The other cities get it all the time too from teams like Pitt, Dallas, SF, etc.

Dude, you just compared us to Phoenix like it was something to be proud of.

I get it, we all want respect and think we deserve it. But we haven't won a darn thing. Until we do, we'll continue to be a laughing stock with a nice novelty of a loud fanbase.

novelty? please..
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

• We could have claimed another Stanley Cup in 1918 and/or 1919 but a huge flu epidemic broke out across the country.
    People were getting sick everywhere.
    GET YOUR EAR PLUGS READY!!!
    DROPPIN' THE NOISE HAMMER AT THE SOUTH ALASKA INSANE ASYLUM
    TheHawkster
    * NET Bad Ass *

• TheHawkster wrote:We could have claimed another Stanley Cup in 1918 and/or 1919 but a huge flu epidemic broke out across the country.
    People were getting sick everywhere.

EAST COAST BIAS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

• I think that when it's so obvious that someone is much better than you currently, it's human nature to cling to past glories or current irrelevancies as if to somehow make up for the obvious shortcomings.

I mean the whiners are actually taking solace from the fact that CK7 is more "marketable" than RW3, never mind all the stats and that show Wilson as a much better QB and the talk of him being an MVP candidate. Utterly pathetic when you think about it but human nature nonetheless.
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• RolandDeschain wrote:As countless people have said, "It's not the ending, but the journey to it." Getting that final trophy makes the path you took to get there much sweeter. Come on, man; just admit it. Of course the 49ers fans are dickheads for how much they bring it up and under what circumstances, but just laughing it off as irrelevant to even think about or mention is you kind of doing the same thing on the opposite side of the spectrum.

I laugh it off as irrelevant because I deal with it on a daily basis with a troglodyte cow patties fan at work who I hear the same "5 rings" line from. Like they say in the stock market past performance is no indicator of future results. ......and maybe a little of it is the Mariner's effect, where they've tried to milk every last drop out of the 1995 and 2001 "success", and while those teams were great they failed to even make it to the World Series, and 1995 was almost 20 years ago.

Disagree if you choose, but the old trophies argument is weak and lame. If the Sonics were still around I wouldn't be crowing about their championship in 1979 because it has nothing to do with the present. I try to live in the present and not off of old glories in the distant past.

Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• San Fran was introduced to the NFL in 1946. Did not win a championship until 1981. Took them 35 years to get their first. So you would think that they have won since the beginning. We are in year 37 so I guess our team just sucks cause they did it earlier. But also without a cap in the 80's. The argument can go both ways. But until we win our 6th they will always use the 5 rings thing.
    If .NET did not exist I would get so much more work done during the day!
    HawkinNY
    NET Rookie

• If it bugs you, now you know why some say it.

Think of the 5 rings thing as a fan filter of sorts. IF it bugs you, the fan filter just identified a thin skinned wussy who care a bit too much about perception. You are insecure in your fandom. Just be secure.

If SOMEONE ELSE tries to make to cry with 5 rings, that A-HOLE has also been identified and can now be ignored. You do not have to take them seriously ever again, they just told you not to. You don't have to reply to their posts, you don't have to point out how stupid they are, and you don't have to mock their pathetic attempts to bolster their self worth with a pathetic grasp at the past.

I repeat, 5 rings, 9 titles (for GB fans stuck in the past), 26 titles (for pathetic Yankee fans), whatever number Pitty has, if a fan of those teams brings it up on the net, just ignore them from then on. They cannot be taken seriously.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• ZorntoLargent wrote:

I love this trivia. I remember about 6 or so years ago I won Thunderbird tickets by "stumping" a radio host on Kube 93 with this trivia. Go Seattle Metropolitans!
    The 12th Commandment:

THOU SHALL STAY LOUD N PROUD! GO HAWKS!
    12thMode
    NET Starter

• They do it because they can.
    muxpux
    NET Veteran

• HawkWow wrote:It's more difficult to win a National Championship than it is to win a SuperBowl. Seattle's UW has 2 such championships.

People outside of the Seattle area recognize U of Washington having 1. Officially the Huskies only has 1 and not 2 like most Husky fans believe.
    dopeboy206
    NET Starter

• Scottemojo wrote:If it bugs you, now you know why some say it.

Think of the 5 rings thing as a fan filter of sorts. IF it bugs you, the fan filter just identified a thin skinned wussy who care a bit too much about perception. You are insecure in your fandom. Just be secure.

If SOMEONE ELSE tries to make to cry with 5 rings, that A-HOLE has also been identified and can now be ignored. You do not have to take them seriously ever again, they just told you not to. You don't have to reply to their posts, you don't have to point out how stupid they are, and you don't have to mock their pathetic attempts to bolster their self worth with a pathetic grasp at the past.

I repeat, 5 rings, 9 titles (for GB fans stuck in the past), 26 titles (for pathetic Yankee fans), whatever number Pitty has, if a fan of those teams brings it up on the net, just ignore them from then on. They cannot be taken seriously.

Its 27 titles for the yankees....haha
    If .NET did not exist I would get so much more work done during the day!
    HawkinNY
    NET Rookie

• HawkinNY wrote:
    Scottemojo wrote:If it bugs you, now you know why some say it.

Its 27 titles for the yankees....haha

I knew I could get one to crawl out of its hole.
    Now for a Steelers fan to chime in...
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• It has nothing to do with rings really, that's just a smoke screen. It's really because we brought forth JIMMY HENDRIX! Make no mistake.
    ImageImageImage

"You kept believing, you kept fighting, you kept clawing and scratching
    and look what you freakin' did. Put that freakin' trophy up again!" - Pete Carroll
    tom sawyer
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Sat Aug 23, 2014 11:25 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information