Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE SPORTS BAR ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ] 
Author Message
 Post subject: World Cup Draw
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:33 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Online

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am
Posts: 4217
probably needs to be in the shack to discuss properly:

A: Brazil, Croatia, Mexico, Cameroon
B: Spain, Netherlands, Chile, Australia
C: Colombia, Greece, Ivory Coast, Japan
D: Uruguay, England, Costa Rica, Italy (oh poor Roy)
E: Switzerland, Ecuador, Honduras, France
F: Argentina, Bosnia-Herz, Iran, Nigeria
G: Germany, Ghana, US, Portugal (ummm, s***)
H: Belgium, Algeria, Russia, South Korea


Last edited by Uncle Si on Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: World Cup Draw
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:36 am 
* NET Moderator *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
Posts: 18457
Location: Milwaukie, Oregon
Top 2 teams from each group move on, correct?

I know Germany is traditionally one of the stronger teams. By your reaction i'm guessing that Portugal and Chile must be pretty elite as well?

Wait.. I just noticed you have Chile listed twice...

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: World Cup Draw
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 9:45 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Online

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am
Posts: 4217
JSeahawks wrote:
Top 2 teams from each group move on, correct?

I know Germany is traditionally one of the stronger teams. By your reaction i'm guessing that Portugal and Chile must be pretty elite as well?

Wait.. I just noticed you have Chile listed twice...



Yeah, its Ghana not Chile.

Top two teams advance.

Germany to me is the best team in the world. Portugal has the best player in the world, and Ghana has knocked the US out of the World Cup the last two times. Its not an ideal draw.

Having said that, the US style can play with Ghana and Portugal. Those are the two games we need to get results in (no less than a draw and a win).


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: World Cup Draw
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:17 am 
*SILVER SUPPORTER*
*SILVER SUPPORTER*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:47 am
Posts: 1622
Location: Spokangeles
US is toast. Crispy, brown, quickly digested toast.

_________________
...and with one kiss of his bicep he proved, without a shadow of doubt, that he was every bit as much of a DBag as his coach, and most of his team's fanbase. Finally, he could call himself a Niner!


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: World Cup Draw
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:22 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:30 pm
Posts: 3020
Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest
Welp.

The only way to get out of this group is to beat Ghana (something that never happens ARGH) and then play Germany and Portugal to draws.

_________________
"Well, I like the 49ers because they're pure of heart, Seattle because they've got something to prove, and the Raiders because they always cheat."

-Lisa Simpson

Well, at least Lisa got two of three right.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: World Cup Draw
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:42 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Online

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:03 pm
Posts: 996
Location: Mudbone's rumpus room
This is an unfortunate bit of luck for the lads. Pretty much 3 'n out and thanks for coming to Brazil. Is the U.S. in basically the strongest group? Group D's pretty rugged. Chile and Oz don't have much chance of moving forward either. Groups E and C on the other hand seem pretty cakewalkey.

_________________
"I have a Super Bowl ring, and I would gladly show that to him. And if he doesn’t have time to come see it, tell him he can Google it." -- Doug Baldwin


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: World Cup Draw
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:46 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:27 pm
Posts: 1877
Location: Bay Area, CA
Here is my guess on which teams make it through to knockout stages.

Group A: Brazil, Croatia
Group B: Spain, Netherlands
Group C: Colombia, Japan
Group D: Italy, England
Group E: France, Switzerland
Group F: Argentina, Bosnia
Group G: Germany, United States
Group H: Belgum, Russia

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: World Cup Draw
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:20 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Online

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am
Posts: 4217
VivaEfrenHerrera wrote:
This is an unfortunate bit of luck for the lads. Pretty much 3 'n out and thanks for coming to Brazil. Is the U.S. in basically the strongest group? Group D's pretty rugged. Chile and Oz don't have much chance of moving forward either. Groups E and C on the other hand seem pretty cakewalkey.



its fairly subjective based on how you would assess the quality of Portugal and Ghana. While they are strong nations in name, they are not necessarily the top of the world rankings.

Ghana is a talented group, well coached, athletic and physical. Portugal... has Ronaldo (i'm actually really excited about this).

I think 4 points is enough (it usually always is) which means you're drawing and winning against Ghana and Portugal (take your pick as to which)

I feel that B, D, G and H are the groups that have atleast 3 teams that can make it out. G may be that hardest of 4, but the most competitive of three to me would be the Spain, Netherlands and Chile. One of those teams isnt advancing, and all three could be semi-finalists. Chile is very good.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: World Cup Draw
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:25 pm 
*GOLD SUPPORTER*
*GOLD SUPPORTER*
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:10 am
Posts: 3297
Location: Sammamish, WA
Yikes...U.S. is in a brutal group. They are improved but I don't believe at this point they can come out of that group. I believe Germany and Portugal will come from that group into the knockout stage.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: World Cup Draw
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 6:11 pm 
* NET Moderator *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 2:35 pm
Posts: 18457
Location: Milwaukie, Oregon
Well, just saw scroll across the bottom of the screen that the U.S. has a 39% chance of advancing out of the group based on something called the Soccer Power Index, or something like that.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: World Cup Draw
 Post Posted: Fri Dec 06, 2013 11:11 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Online

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:03 pm
Posts: 996
Location: Mudbone's rumpus room
JSeahawks wrote:
Well, just saw scroll across the bottom of the screen that the U.S. has a 39% chance of advancing out of the group based on something called the Soccer Power Index, or something like that.

Not bad... Better than a puncher's chance, that's for sure.

_________________
"I have a Super Bowl ring, and I would gladly show that to him. And if he doesn’t have time to come see it, tell him he can Google it." -- Doug Baldwin


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: World Cup Draw
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 7:33 am 
* NET Staff Alumni *
* NET Staff Alumni *
User avatar
Online

Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:38 pm
Posts: 5428
Location: Hagerstown, MD
Everything hinges on the first game against Ghana. Win that and then the US can play for draws against Portugal and Germany and get through.

_________________
Image
You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: World Cup Draw
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:44 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:13 am
Posts: 7862
You have to beat Ghana first up to have any chance. At least then it puts a bit of pressure on the other two. But that is a brutal group and it'll be a major upset if Germany and Portugal don't advance.

I'm tempted to say never mind. Because the US and England have something in common. Neither of us has any chance what so ever of winning the World Cup.

Roll on the fixed Brazil vs Spain/Argentina final.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: World Cup Draw
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 07, 2013 4:49 pm 
* NET Starfish *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
Posts: 10244
Location: Helm's Deep
theENGLISHseahawk wrote:
You have to beat Ghana first up to have any chance. At least then it puts a bit of pressure on the other two. But that is a brutal group and it'll be a major upset if Germany and Portugal don't advance.

I'm tempted to say never mind. Because the US and England have something in common. Neither of us has any chance what so ever of winning the World Cup.

Roll on the fixed Brazil vs Spain/Argentina final.


Pretty much my feelings on the whole thing. the US or England might catch lightning in a bottle for a match or possibly two in the knockout stage, but ultimately, class always wins out in the World cup, and the likes of Spain, Germany, Brazil and Argentina are just too good.

_________________
Rzzzzz...


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: World Cup Draw
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 12:35 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:46 pm
Posts: 5559
Location: Kansas City, MO
Tough draw but we can get results against Ghana and Portugal it's Germany that's the killer but it is the team Klinsmen built so who knows? (We ruined Portugal in 1992 iirc).

_________________
43-8...it's all about that action boss....
next man up.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: World Cup Draw
 Post Posted: Sun Dec 08, 2013 7:33 am 
NET Starter
Offline

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 12:26 pm
Posts: 352
Location: Oregon
Not quite sure how you guys feel about the world rankings here http://www.fifa.com/worldranking/rankingtable/index.html.. But I broke down the average ranking per group from those rankings.

G: 11.25
D: 14.25
C: 20.25
B: 21
E: 22.75
A: 24.5
F: 26.25
H: 28.25


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: World Cup Draw
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:09 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Online

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:03 pm
Posts: 996
Location: Mudbone's rumpus room
JGreen79 wrote:
Not quite sure how you guys feel about the world rankings here http://www.fifa.com/worldranking/rankingtable/index.html.. But I broke down the average ranking per group from those rankings.

G: 11.25
D: 14.25
C: 20.25
B: 21
E: 22.75
A: 24.5
F: 26.25
H: 28.25

Interesting. How useful and valid are those rankings, I wonder? Colombia ranked #4 seems... odd. Switzerland at #8 ahead of #10 Brazil? I raise eyebrows in your general direction, rankings!

I don't follow soccer closely enough to really know much, but I'd be interested in hearing from those who do.

_________________
"I have a Super Bowl ring, and I would gladly show that to him. And if he doesn’t have time to come see it, tell him he can Google it." -- Doug Baldwin


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: World Cup Draw
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:14 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Online

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am
Posts: 4217
FIFA rankings are a formula, much like the BCS. Teams earn points based on who they play, where and the result. The rankings compiled from last years world cup to right now. They are not a reflection of total points but an average points.

The Dutch dropped in their rankings by playing Indonesia this summer. That win gave them a bare minimum of points and thus dropped their average below Switzerland.

I will find the breakdown and repost. Its pretty interesting how Italy and the Dutch lowered their averages by scheduling lowly opponents in the summer.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: World Cup Draw
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:15 pm 
* NET Philistine *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Fri May 01, 2009 8:02 am
Posts: 14122
Location: Portland, OR
At least they'll be battled tested?

_________________
Super Bowl Champions XVLIII


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: World Cup Draw
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 1:54 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Online

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am
Posts: 4217
Here's that rankings piece..

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-25134584


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: World Cup Draw
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:21 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Online

Joined: Sun Sep 13, 2009 12:03 pm
Posts: 996
Location: Mudbone's rumpus room
Uncle Si wrote:

Good read! Thanks, Uncle.

_________________
"I have a Super Bowl ring, and I would gladly show that to him. And if he doesn’t have time to come see it, tell him he can Google it." -- Doug Baldwin


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: World Cup Draw
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 2:55 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:27 pm
Posts: 1877
Location: Bay Area, CA
I believe USA a capable of beating Portugal, I don't see them as a real contender at the World Cup.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: World Cup Draw
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 3:16 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Online

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am
Posts: 4217
MANUNITED23 wrote:
I believe USA a capable of beating Portugal, I don't see them as a real contender at the World Cup.



There are really only 4 teams capable of winning the world cup each season (you can stretch that if you include potential knockout games between top contenders).

The US (and England, France, Italy) were never going to be one of those teams.

you could break it pretty easily into groups:

Favorites: 1.To me, its Germany
then a long deep breath, and Brazil, Spain, and the Dutch. You can extend it a bit to include a team like Argentina or even Belgium. (Dont sleep on Brazil's low ranking.. remember the FIFA rankings are based on accumulated points and average. Brazil as the host nation only played friendlies)

The Contenders (teams that could threaten a quarterfinal, maybe semifinal run) include Chile and Colombia, Switzerland, Portugal, England, France, Italy, US, Uruguay and possibly Ghana. And in all honesty out of this group only Chile and Italy seem capable of a long run. France has all the talent in the world, but has yet to put it together. The US draw makes it very unlikely. but hey, you play the match anyway

Potential surprises: Some interesting teams that will be matchup difficulties for stronger teams (Japan, South Korea, Nigeria, Croatia, Russia, Bosnia). The Asiatic teams usually have powerful and technical players. their experience keps them back. Still, both Japan and South Korea should not be taken lightly. The Euro teams have lots of talent and can make life hard on any team trying for that 2nd spot out. I dont want to add Mexico here. I wont do it... fine. I will do it. But i think they walk away with no more than 2 points.

and then alot of teams like Algeria, Honduras, Ecuador, Cameroon, Ivory Coast, Iran, Costa Rica, Australia that will struggle to nab a point.

I dont know much about Ecuador or Cameroon to be honest. I dont believe the Ivory Coast can muster much these days.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: World Cup Draw
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 5:45 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 5:27 pm
Posts: 1877
Location: Bay Area, CA
Uncle Si wrote:
MANUNITED23 wrote:
I believe USA a capable of beating Portugal, I don't see them as a real contender at the World Cup.



There are really only 4 teams capable of winning the world cup each season (you can stretch that if you include potential knockout games between top contenders).

The US (and England, France, Italy) were never going to be one of those teams.

you could break it pretty easily into groups:

Favorites: 1.To me, its Germany
then a long deep breath, and Brazil, Spain, and the Dutch. You can extend it a bit to include a team like Argentina or even Belgium. (Dont sleep on Brazil's low ranking.. remember the FIFA rankings are based on accumulated points and average. Brazil as the host nation only played friendlies)

The Contenders (teams that could threaten a quarterfinal, maybe semifinal run) include Chile and Colombia, Switzerland, Portugal, England, France, Italy, US, Uruguay and possibly Ghana. And in all honesty out of this group only Chile and Italy seem capable of a long run. France has all the talent in the world, but has yet to put it together. The US draw makes it very unlikely. but hey, you play the match anyway

Potential surprises: Some interesting teams that will be matchup difficulties for stronger teams (Japan, South Korea, Nigeria, Croatia, Russia, Bosnia). The Asiatic teams usually have powerful and technical players. their experience keps them back. Still, both Japan and South Korea should not be taken lightly. The Euro teams have lots of talent and can make life hard on any team trying for that 2nd spot out. I dont want to add Mexico here. I wont do it... fine. I will do it. But i think they walk away with no more than 2 points.

and then alot of teams like Algeria, Honduras, Ecuador, Cameroon, Ivory Coast, Iran, Costa Rica, Australia that will struggle to nab a point.

I dont know much about Ecuador or Cameroon to be honest. I dont believe the Ivory Coast can muster much these days.


Netherlands are not real contenders, however Italy is. Dutch may not have Robben and they always choke. Italy is a strong team and have the ability to do some serious damage. They always do well. I don't think Spain is going to win either.

_________________
Image


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: World Cup Draw
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 6:30 pm 
* NET Starfish *
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:29 am
Posts: 10244
Location: Helm's Deep
I agree that Italy have enough talent to win it all if the cards fall their way.

_________________
Rzzzzz...


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: World Cup Draw
 Post Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 7:43 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Online

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am
Posts: 4217
peachesenregalia wrote:
I agree that Italy have enough talent to win it all if the cards fall their way.


Italy is still too reliant on Ballotelli...

As for the Dutch they've got bags of talent. Robben or no. Not sure how they choked as they played in the final four years ago.

Spain is also very strong IF they bring in the youngsters. If they field the 2010 squad they will struggle to make it to the semis.

Don't sleep on Belgium either. But ad I said this is Germany-Brazil for me


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: World Cup Draw
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:11 pm 
NET Bench Warmer
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:36 am
Posts: 39
Location: Sheffield, United Kingdom
England will not make it out of the group. Italy and Uruguay are superior teams in comparison to ourselves and play a solid system that is effective at garnering results. England however, are far too defensive under Roy Hodgson and as a result allow teams to come at us whilst we aimlessly pump the ball downfield in hope one of our more physical players will hold it up and bring other players into attack.

I think Spain will once again prove their dominance at the international level by retaining the World Cup.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: World Cup Draw
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:18 pm 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Online

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am
Posts: 4217
British Hawk wrote:
England will not make it out of the group. Italy and Uruguay are superior teams in comparison to ourselves and play a solid system that is effective at garnering results. England however, are far too defensive under Roy Hodgson and as a result allow teams to come at us whilst we aimlessly pump the ball downfield in hope one of our more physical players will hold it up and bring other players into attack.

I think Spain will once again prove their dominance at the international level by retaining the World Cup.


England is an interesting case. I do think they are better than Uruguay... But not by much. And Uruguay can score.

I'd think English fans almost rooting against Hodgson. Would you really want him responsible for the upcoming "golden generation" Wilshere, Ox-cham, Sterling, Henderson, Barkley, etc. in 2018?


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: World Cup Draw
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:37 pm 
NET Bench Warmer
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:36 am
Posts: 39
Location: Sheffield, United Kingdom
Uncle Si wrote:
British Hawk wrote:
England will not make it out of the group. Italy and Uruguay are superior teams in comparison to ourselves and play a solid system that is effective at garnering results. England however, are far too defensive under Roy Hodgson and as a result allow teams to come at us whilst we aimlessly pump the ball downfield in hope one of our more physical players will hold it up and bring other players into attack.

I think Spain will once again prove their dominance at the international level by retaining the World Cup.


England is an interesting case. I do think they are better than Uruguay... But not by much. And Uruguay can score.

I'd think English fans almost rooting against Hodgson. Would you really want him responsible for the upcoming "golden generation" Wilshere, Ox-cham, Sterling, Henderson, Barkley, etc.?


With the young talent that you have named there, each are players with potentially terrific upside. That is if utilised properly. Wilshere and Ross Barkley are ones in particular to keep an eye on. Incidentally, Barkley was on loan at my soccer team, Sheffield Wednesday last season and it was evident that this kid will go very far - he's smart, has wonderful passing ability, great going forward etc. The problem with Hodgson is that his tactics often involve completely bypassing the midfield with aimless long passes from the defence, instead of allowing the midfield to dictate the play. Top players need the ball at their feet.

I've always said that Wilshere would not look amiss in the Spanish national team. Such a class act to watch. England need a manager that will take advantage of the upcoming talent, otherwise it will be such a waste for these guys at the international level until the style of soccer we play is tailored to their game.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: World Cup Draw
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:51 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Online

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am
Posts: 4217
British Hawk wrote:
Uncle Si wrote:
British Hawk wrote:
England will not make it out of the group. Italy and Uruguay are superior teams in comparison to ourselves and play a solid system that is effective at garnering results. England however, are far too defensive under Roy Hodgson and as a result allow teams to come at us whilst we aimlessly pump the ball downfield in hope one of our more physical players will hold it up and bring other players into attack.

I think Spain will once again prove their dominance at the international level by retaining the World Cup.


England is an interesting case. I do think they are better than Uruguay... But not by much. And Uruguay can score.

I'd think English fans almost rooting against Hodgson. Would you really want him responsible for the upcoming "golden generation" Wilshere, Ox-cham, Sterling, Henderson, Barkley, etc.?


With the young talent that you have named there, each are players with potentially terrific upside. That is if utilised properly. Wilshere and Ross Barkley are ones in particular to keep an eye on. Incidentally, Barkley was on loan at my soccer team, Sheffield Wednesday last season and it was evident that this kid will go very far - he's smart, has wonderful passing ability, great going forward etc. The problem with Hodgson is that his tactics often involve completely bypassing the midfield with aimless long passes from the defence, instead of allowing the midfield to dictate the play. Top players need the ball at their feet.

I've always said that Wilshere would not look amiss in the Spanish national team. Such a class act to watch. England need a manager that will take advantage of the upcoming talent, otherwise it will be such a waste for these guys at the international level until the style of soccer we play is tailored to their game.



Barkley is a fine young midfield. sad that Liverpool missed out on a local boy.

Youre right about Wilshere, which is why he is so useful with Arsenal. as you said, Hodgson's style doesnt utlize a player of his quality (nor a Sterling for that matter). It will be interesting to see how England does in this world cup. I honestly think the aforementioned 4 players to make the trip to Brazil. (Ox may not given his only recent return). But form and style need a change in the English squad as they look at 2018


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: World Cup Draw
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 8:17 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:08 pm
Posts: 549
Would be very surprised if anyone outside South America won it.


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: World Cup Draw
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:01 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Online

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am
Posts: 4217
UK_Seahawk wrote:
Would be very surprised if anyone outside South America won it.



Germany? (I think they are Europe's best....only chance).


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: World Cup Draw
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:29 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Online

Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am
Posts: 4217
British Hawk wrote:
Uncle Si wrote:
British Hawk wrote:
England will not make it out of the group. Italy and Uruguay are superior teams in comparison to ourselves and play a solid system that is effective at garnering results. England however, are far too defensive under Roy Hodgson and as a result allow teams to come at us whilst we aimlessly pump the ball downfield in hope one of our more physical players will hold it up and bring other players into attack.

I think Spain will once again prove their dominance at the international level by retaining the World Cup.


England is an interesting case. I do think they are better than Uruguay... But not by much. And Uruguay can score.

I'd think English fans almost rooting against Hodgson. Would you really want him responsible for the upcoming "golden generation" Wilshere, Ox-cham, Sterling, Henderson, Barkley, etc.?


With the young talent that you have named there, each are players with potentially terrific upside. That is if utilised properly. Wilshere and Ross Barkley are ones in particular to keep an eye on. Incidentally, Barkley was on loan at my soccer team, Sheffield Wednesday last season and it was evident that this kid will go very far - he's smart, has wonderful passing ability, great going forward etc. The problem with Hodgson is that his tactics often involve completely bypassing the midfield with aimless long passes from the defence, instead of allowing the midfield to dictate the play. Top players need the ball at their feet.

I've always said that Wilshere would not look amiss in the Spanish national team. Such a class act to watch. England need a manager that will take advantage of the upcoming talent, otherwise it will be such a waste for these guys at the international level until the style of soccer we play is tailored to their game.



saw this name in the news today with a link to Liverpool... he's one of yours i believe

thoughts?

Diego De Girolamo


Top 
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: World Cup Draw
 Post Posted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:37 am 
NET Veteran
User avatar
Offline

Joined: Wed Jul 24, 2013 1:08 pm
Posts: 549
Uncle Si wrote:
British Hawk wrote:
Uncle Si wrote:
British Hawk wrote:
England will not make it out of the group. Italy and Uruguay are superior teams in comparison to ourselves and play a solid system that is effective at garnering results. England however, are far too defensive under Roy Hodgson and as a result allow teams to come at us whilst we aimlessly pump the ball downfield in hope one of our more physical players will hold it up and bring other players into attack.

I think Spain will once again prove their dominance at the international level by retaining the World Cup.


England is an interesting case. I do think they are better than Uruguay... But not by much. And Uruguay can score.

I'd think English fans almost rooting against Hodgson. Would you really want him responsible for the upcoming "golden generation" Wilshere, Ox-cham, Sterling, Henderson, Barkley, etc.?


With the young talent that you have named there, each are players with potentially terrific upside. That is if utilised properly. Wilshere and Ross Barkley are ones in particular to keep an eye on. Incidentally, Barkley was on loan at my soccer team, Sheffield Wednesday last season and it was evident that this kid will go very far - he's smart, has wonderful passing ability, great going forward etc. The problem with Hodgson is that his tactics often involve completely bypassing the midfield with aimless long passes from the defence, instead of allowing the midfield to dictate the play. Top players need the ball at their feet.

I've always said that Wilshere would not look amiss in the Spanish national team. Such a class act to watch. England need a manager that will take advantage of the upcoming talent, otherwise it will be such a waste for these guys at the international level until the style of soccer we play is tailored to their game.



saw this name in the news today with a link to Liverpool... he's one of yours i believe

thoughts?

Diego De Girolamo


He's a lad from Chesterfield, his dad is a fan. I thought he played for Sheff United. Been tearing it up for the Italian under 18 team.


Top 
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 34 posts ] 

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE SPORTS BAR ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests

 

 
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Seahawks.NET is an independent fan site and not associated with the Seattle Seahawks or the NFL (National Football League).
All content within this Seahawks fan page is provided by, and for, Seattle Seahawks fans. Copyright © Seahawks.NET.