ATTN NHL Fans: Coyotes to Seattle is Plan B?

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13

• Very interesting. Long time Sharks fan, I would have to switch and root for the home town team. Hopefully this leads to the NBA following suit to Seattle as well.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Blitzer88 wrote:Very interesting. Long time Sharks fan, I would have to switch and root for the home town team. Hopefully this leads to the NBA following suit to Seattle as well.

I think we'll get NBA expansion news very soon, theres no way in my mind, the NHL lets this team come to Seattle to play in the Key without some type of idea of when the SoDo arena gets going.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Lords of Scythia wrote:What's with that stupid fighting crap? Are they gonna do THAT?

That'd be one way to get me to watch, 1 fight each game plz.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Throwdown wrote:
    Blitzer88 wrote:Very interesting. Long time Sharks fan, I would have to switch and root for the home town team. Hopefully this leads to the NBA following suit to Seattle as well.

I think we'll get NBA expansion news very soon, theres no way in my mind, the NHL lets this team come to Seattle to play in the Key without some type of idea of when the SoDo arena gets going.

That's my thinking. Either they are using us as leverage (though the NHL is absolutely fed up with Glendale), they know something we don't and have heard through the grapevine that the NBA is expanding, or the other owners will look to modify the MOU while Hansen gets the NBA figured out. I'm trying not to get too excited, but I may just convince the better half that we have to move back to Seattle so I can see some NHL/NFL and NBA games more often.
    ----------------------------
    "Plus I hate the seattle stadium the **** place is too loud, gave me a headache watchin the game." ~ Some 9er fan
    JOz56
    NET Veteran

• Please, please make this happen! And don't string us along only to slap us in the face like Stern did with the Sonics.
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• Doesn't sound like there will be any stringing along, either Glendale bends over and gives it up, or the team goes to the group that will move em to Seattle, it could happen all in a week.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Throwdown wrote:Doesn't sound like there will be any stringing along, either Glendale bends over and gives it up, or the team goes to the group that will move em to Seattle, it could happen all in a week.

Which is why I'm not getting my hopes up until something is announced one way or another. Still, the possibilities are fun to think about. And maybe this kicks this NBA's ass into expansion. Or they know it's happening anyways and that is why this is going down.
    "Plus I hate the seattle stadium the **** place is too loud, gave me a headache watchin the game." ~ Some 9er fan
    JOz56
    NET Veteran

• If we can get an NHL team, modify the MOU, and build the arena, it will be even easier to get an NBA team as we already would have the arena built or under construction. This is good, good, good, good, good.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• Here's some background on the potential Seattle NHL owners, from Chris Daniels

http://www.chpllc.com/team
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• NHL! NHL! NHL!
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• Throwdown wrote:Doesn't sound like there will be any stringing along, either Glendale bends over and gives it up, or the team goes to the group that will move em to Seattle, it could happen all in a week.

Wow that is good news. Of course, we started out very optimistic on the NBA thing too.

Tech Worlds wrote:If we can get an NHL team, modify the MOU, and build the arena, it will be even easier to get an NBA team as we already would have the arena built or under construction. This is good, good, good, good, good.

Yes, it is! And for the record, I'm much, much more excited about getting an NHL team here than an NBA team, even if there is a ton of NBA history here. Hockey is so much fun to watch live!
    World Champion Seattle Seahawks football. It's an addiction, and there is no cure.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

• I hope it happens because then I will not care if the NBA ever comes here. The NBA can suck it as far as I'm concerned. I thought that they were the only reason for our chances at getting an NHL team, but if the NHL is coming first, great, I never have to care about the league again.
    "He's a *****. It's not that he was a *****, he is a *****, and that's why he hasn't won anything."
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

• Someone wanna give me a crash court on modern Hockey? who are the IT guys? the storied franchises? The NHL's equivalent to the 12th man?

I'm intrigued to try just ONE game if they do come.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• I'm preparing myself to get used as leverage again.

But the two important dates here, June 25th Glendale city council meets, July 2nd is deadline for their arena plan, or its move to Seattle time.

So the Coyotes are the old Winnipeg Jets team. Just daydreaming here, as I doubt this is going to happen. What would the new name be? Stick with Coyotes? Go back to Jets? Mets? Olympics? Cascades? Steal the Thunderbirds name(is that possible)?
    As a musician and audio quality champion, Neil Young said in 2012, “Steve Jobs was a pioneer of digital music. But when he went home, he listened to vinyl.”
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

• twisted_steel2 wrote:I'm preparing myself to get used as leverage again.

But the two important dates here, June 25th Glendale city council meets, July 2nd is deadline for their arena plan, or its move to Seattle time.

So the Coyotes are the old Winnipeg Jets team. Just daydreaming here, as I doubt this is going to happen. What would the new name be? Stick with Coyotes? Go back to Jets? Mets? Olympics? Cascades? Steal the Thunderbirds name(is that possible)?

It sounds like we are being used as leverage, thats why this story leaked I'm guessing.

We gotta hope Glendale turns down the deal to subsidize this new ownership group that wants to keep the team in at Jobing.com Arena.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Throwdown wrote:Someone wanna give me a crash court on modern Hockey? who are the IT guys? the storied franchises? The NHL's equivalent to the 12th man?

Alex Ovechkin is a beast. He's a monster of a man, swift on his skates, physical, and can shoot like none other. Though he plays for the Washington (DC) Capitols, he's a lot of fun to watch. Sidney Crosby, of the Pittsburgh Penguins, is likewise fun to watch when he is not injured. Pavel Datsyuk of the Red Wings is a bad ass.

The modern NHL is so full of talented players that only a few names become publicly recognized. I think this also has to do with strike seasons shrinking the fanbase somewhat.
    Feel free to contact me if you need legal assistance. I have a great lawyer that helped me with an ex who violated my privacy and kept harassing me on MySpace and Facebook. He's very good. And there is legal precedent. - linuxpro

He is hold back the legion of boom - skater18000
    SmokinHawk
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• SmokinHawk wrote:
    Throwdown wrote:Someone wanna give me a crash court on modern Hockey? who are the IT guys? the storied franchises? The NHL's equivalent to the 12th man?

Alex Ovechkin is a beast. He's a monster of a man, swift on his skates, physical, and can shoot like none other. Though he plays for the Washington (DC) Capitols, he's a lot of fun to watch. Sidney Crosby, of the Pittsburgh Penguins, is likewise fun to watch when he is not injured. Pavel Datsyuk of the Red Wings is a bad ass.

The modern NHL is so full of talented players that only a few names become publicly recognized. I think this also has to do with strike seasons shrinking the fanbase somewhat.

Datsyuk is a magician.

As for storied franchises, there are the "Original Six," who weren't necessarily all actually original, but they formed the entirety of the league for 25 years from the early 1940's to the late 1960's when the NHL expanded. Bruins, Wings, Blackhawks, Canadiens, Maple Leafs, Rangers.

Super Bowl XLVIII Champions
    volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• Another hockey fun fact-Outside of watching the Seahawks, hockey is the most exciting sport to watch live.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• Throwdown wrote:Someone wanna give me a crash court on modern Hockey? who are the IT guys? the storied franchises? The NHL's equivalent to the 12th man?

Interesting excersise. Ill try. Best team Chicago Blackhawks. Most storied franchise is probably Montreal Canadiens (think yankees). Team that thinks is the centre of the universe is the Toronto Maple Leafs (cowboys). most despised team Vancouver canucks, divers, line up full of douche bags and thugs, fans actually burn the city to the ground when they loose the cup (raiders). As a Nuck fan I dont think it applies anymore but its a rep thats hard to shake. Most saddest sack team Ny Islanders or Edmonton Oilers. Isles were better this year finally and Oil with all those first overall picks should eventually not suck.

As for players. Crosby is the face of the league (gretzky Jordan). Most exciting player probably Ovechkin. The guy is a magician. Most over rated players, anyone one from Canadiens, Leafs or Detroit Redwings. Dirtiest/best hitter probably Raffi Torres from the sharks. Best goal scorer probably Stamkos from Tampa. Best set up man probably Henrick Sedin from Canucks.

As for fans. Canadien and leaf fans are fanatical. Like green bay or cowboy fans.
    Just remember, football is 80% mental and 40% physical.
    Little Giants (1994) – Steve Emtman
    ShyCheetah
    NET Starter

• What about this Coyotes team? I know they were in the playoffs not too long ago, is this team any good?
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• Throwdown wrote:What about this Coyotes team? I know they were in the playoffs not too long ago, is this team any good?

I don't know much about them but they have had a flurry of struggles. Gambling scandal, financial issues etc. I think though hockey is more like baseball I'm that an eighth seed can win it all and unlike other sports hockey players seem to stay Where they are more than basketball and baseball.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• I love hockey, would be so pumped to get a team here. An NHL team in Seattle would quickly become a destination team as well given geography in relation to the majority of players being perfectly comfortable with this climate. Unlike modern NBA players who look to get to LA, NY or Miami ASAP.

I love my Lakers and basketball, yes. But if you get sick of flopping and guys writhing in pain from a scrape, get ready to watch dudes kill penalties with fractured legs.

Plus, our natural geographical rivals (Canucks) are easily one of the most hateable teams in sports.
    kobebryant
    NET Veteran

• Sounds like they have until the first week of July to get something done or they are Seattles. This doesn't seem like something they are using Seattle as leverage for, they haven't had an owner for years and lose 35-40 million a year. The NHL isn't intrested in losing money.

The current coach (no longer under contract, but we could still keep him) has never had a losing season.

Oh, and JR will be involved with the team if it comes to Seattle!
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

• The Coyotes were in the Western Conference Finals just last year - as a 3 seed. Lost to the 8 seed Kings who went on to win the cup.
    Season Ticket Holder, Section 127 - Row I

Video of Player Intros from my seats, Jags game 2009.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nddIoamjN08
    ExperienceJones
    NET Rookie

• Am I really this starved for a winter sports? That I ACTUALLY want an NHL team? I don't even know anything about the NHL, only NHL thing I ever owned was NHL 95 (I was cold with Buffalo) for Sega Genesis.

3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• kobebryant wrote:But if you get sick of flopping and guys writhing in pain from a scrape...

Then be prepared to ignore Sidney Crosby. :mrgreen:

volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• volsunghawk wrote:
    kobebryant wrote:But if you get sick of flopping and guys writhing in pain from a scrape...

In fairness to Crosby he has had multiple concussions and a broken jaw. They aren't all flops.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• CALIHAWK1 wrote:
    volsunghawk wrote:
    kobebryant wrote:But if you get sick of flopping and guys writhing in pain from a scrape...

In fairness to Crosby he has had multiple concussions and a broken jaw. They aren't all flops.

Exactly, I'd like to see someone in any other sport compete with a broken Jaw just weeks after it happened. Sid gets a lot of hate but I'm a huge fan of his. Guy is a stud.

People were all over him for talking trash to Chara when Chara was trying to leave the ice but not many saw the replay that shows Chara taking a cheap shot punch at Sid's Jaw when he's being held back by another Bruin player - weak Chara, weak.

Also, the Boston Strong Fix is on - has been since Round 1.

ExperienceJones
    NET Rookie

• CALIHAWK1 wrote:
    volsunghawk wrote:

Did he dislodge his jaw while crying to a ref? :mrgreen:

volsunghawk
    NET Veteran

• I love me some Malkin! Especially after he beat Burgeron's (sp?) face in.

ExperienceJones
    NET Rookie

• So, stuff went crazy. I guess the Glendale City Council met and there is lots of friction. They don't have a deal, and "there wasn't instant love for the [RSE] proposal."

See below:

Paul Giblin ‏@PaulGiblinAriz 50 s

#Glendale's attorney says city staff will continue talks with #Renaissance. This is certain: There wasn't instant love for the proposal.
    "He's a *****. It's not that he was a *****, he is a *****, and that's why he hasn't won anything."
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

• Seems to me like Glendale doesn't care near as much about keeping hockey as Sac did about keeping the kings.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

• They're being asked to subsidize the team AGAIN, i don't blame them if they are fed up.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• m0ng0 wrote:I get the feeling Seattle is being used again :cry:

Anytime you're plan B, you're leverage, thats just my opinion.
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• m0ng0 wrote:I get the feeling Seattle is being used again :cry:

It's been said as much. I actually do believe things are going on behind the scenes in both leagues to where we are getting to this point.
    JOz56
    NET Veteran

• I don't watch hockey near as much as I used to. I always rooted for the Rangers, but if Seattle had a team, they'd be my new favorite by default. I'd probably have to start paying attention again.
    "I don't know what you're talking about." GT
    TriCHawk
    NET Veteran

• CALIHAWK1 wrote:
    volsunghawk wrote:

Is there any player in the NHL who doesn't have multiple concussions?
    SEAHAWKS SHOULD TRADE TERRELLE PRYOR TO RAMS
    http://cover32.com/seahawks/2014/08/27/ ... -the-rams/
    Follow me on Twitter: @George_OGorman
    Lords of Scythia
    NET Veteran

• @PaulGiblinAriz: The #Glendale council wants more from the prospective #Coyotes owners. Another private council meeting is set for Friday

Paul Giblin ‏@PaulGiblinAriz 1m
    No deal points on a #Glendale-#Coyotes deal will be released Wednesday as previously was expected, because there is no deal.
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

• Still seems like a long shot, lets hope all of the kicking the can down the road act pisses of the NHL, got a feeling Seattle will be getting expansion of the NBA and NHL in the next year or two, just a hunch with a little wishful thinking thrown in.
    42-13, 29-3, and 23-17 and a Lombardi trophy from THIS millennium.....deal with it niner trolls

SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• I think there's a good chance for us to get a team now, but who knows after the Sacramento thing.
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

• Sports Hernia wrote:Still seems like a long shot, lets hope all of the kicking the can down the road act pisses of the NHL, got a feeling Seattle will be getting expansion of the NBA and NHL in the next year or two, just a hunch with a little wishful thinking thrown in.

That's actually been my feeling for awhile, on the NBA at least. Which is what I wanted anyways. On the NHL, I have no freaking idea what will happen. The Coyotes would be nice, really nice, but an expansion team to call our own would be awesome as well. So we'll see.
    JOz56
    NET Veteran

• Sounds like the deal in Glendale fell apart and the losing city council members for the deal are going to try to force a vote to get who scuttled the deal on the record for political purposes.

Don't line up to get your hockey tickets for next year just yet, but do think about budgeting some cash for it. Lots of good news for Seattle today.
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

• They leave out that his indication also came with an NHL ownership group that was willing to put up the money on spec that an NBA team would come and Hansen's money would go in. Hopefully Hansen seemingly working with this group means that the NHL group is willing to step up until Hansen has a reason to sink the bulk of his money in.
    pinksheets
    NET Veteran

• That's what I'm hoping. After the NBA I'm expecting nothing to really happen, but hoping it does.
    JOz56
    NET Veteran

• pinksheets wrote:They leave out that his indication also came with an NHL ownership group that was willing to put up the money on spec that an NBA team would come and Hansen's money would go in. Hopefully Hansen seemingly working with this group means that the NHL group is willing to step up until Hansen has a reason to sink the bulk of his money in.

I think any NHL team that comes here would assume an NBA team would follow suit sometime in the future, just as any NBA team would assume the NHL would. It's been a two-fer stadium plan from the get-go. To think the NHL would assume the NBA dead and gone permanently because of Stern's recent asshattery is preposterous.
    Seahawk Sailor
    * .NET Navy Bad Ass *

Next

It is currently Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:47 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information