Robinson Cano has agreed to 10 years/$240 mill

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
  • Seaswab wrote:People cry and bitch the Mariners don't spend money, then when they do, they cry and bitch it's too much and a waste. What the hell do they want? Justin Smoak batting cleanup again? Clowns like Miguel Olivo in the middle of the order? Get over yourselves. They went out and got the biggest Free Agent hitter available, give them some credit.


    Yep. Some people will never be happy. Oh well.

    This is a huge get for the M's and I'm stoked about it.
    Football Outsiders wrote:The Seahawks have a third-and-long defensive DVOA of -102.1%. Seriously, when Seattle knows you have to pass, you are completely terribly, violently screwed.
    User avatar
    Chapow
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1244
    Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 4:38 pm


  • Chris, fair point, but I think that we couldn't even get select FA to come here at this point. They needed to do something to get FA to think that coming here, at the worst, will get you paid. We have to get them on the damn plane.

    I think it's a wobbly argument to say that the value of this contract goes beyond Cano's WAR every year, but I'm going to make it anyway.
    "He's a *****. It's not that he was a *****, he is a *****, and that's why he hasn't won anything."
    User avatar
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3534
    Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:30 pm
    Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest


  • Seaswab wrote:How many 25 year old free agents are available? Tick , tock, tick, tock......


    Oh I agree they are harder to come by, but thats where scouts and GM's are suppose to earn their money, these guys in AAA waiting for a Cano to leave to be called up are the guys we want to target. We have whiffed badly in that regard. But that is what makes teams great having people that can see those players and build a sustained competitor.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
    .Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 9789
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • Largent80 wrote:It cracks me up when people whine about money spent. It is market value and in this case more than market value. They needed to make this move to at least try and get the M's back to a playoff series. I am happy for M's fans.



    (and... and please keep this a secret... its not OUR money... ssshhhhhh)
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4658
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • Great first step, need to follow it up with other good moves. Being such a long deal it will bite them in the end, but almost 10 years of pretty much self induced epic failure they pretty much painted themselves into a corner and had to make a move like this+.

    The other sweet thing is it takes a superstar away from the yankers. :th2thumbs:
    42-13, 29-3, and 23-17 and a Lombardi trophy from THIS millennium.....deal with it niner trolls

    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!
    User avatar
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10824
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: Lombardi Land


  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:It cracks me up when people whine about money spent. It is market value and in this case more than market value. They needed to make this move to at least try and get the M's back to a playoff series. I am happy for M's fans.



    (and... and please keep this a secret... its not OUR money... ssshhhhhh)

    good point. I think folks forget that at times.
    42-13, 29-3, and 23-17 and a Lombardi trophy from THIS millennium.....deal with it niner trolls

    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!
    User avatar
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10824
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: Lombardi Land


  • Well it's not our money, what people get pissed about is when they can't resign good players because of over extending themselves on contracts for player that are not contributing. Cano at 39 won't be swinging the bat as well as he is now and still be tieing up salary, say we have a stud 3rd baseman and we let him go to someplace else due to money. Thats what pisses off fanbases.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
    .Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 9789
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • chris98251 wrote:Well it's not our money, what people get pissed about is when they can't resign good players because of over extending themselves on contracts for player that are not contributing. Cano at 39 won't be swinging the bat as well as he is now and still be tieing up salary, say we have a stud 3rd baseman and we let him go to someplace else due to money. Thats what pisses off fanbases.


    Exactly. I have never understood the "Well, it's not your money" argument. We care because a bad contract restricts a team's opportunities to get better down the road by taking up the budget. It's not hard to understand, folks.
    "He's a *****. It's not that he was a *****, he is a *****, and that's why he hasn't won anything."
    User avatar
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3534
    Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:30 pm
    Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest


  • chris98251 wrote:Well it's not our money, what people get pissed about is when they can't resign good players because of over extending themselves on contracts for player that are not contributing. Cano at 39 won't be swinging the bat as well as he is now and still be tieing up salary, say we have a stud 3rd baseman and we let him go to someplace else due to money. Thats what pisses off fanbases.


    Until they come up to be resigned we don't know that is the case at all, they inked Cano and are rumored to be looking at others, its almost like they have been waiting for this tv money to come through and are now opening up their wallet a little bit. Besides that we got the swiss army knife Willie Bloomquist nothing shows wanting to win more then that :D
    User avatar
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2599
    Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:55 pm
    Location: Battle Ground, Wa


  • Seaswab wrote:People cry and bitch the Mariners don't spend money, then when they do, they cry and bitch it's too much and a waste. What the hell do they want? Justin Smoak batting cleanup again? Clowns like Miguel Olivo in the middle of the order? Get over yourselves. They went out and got the biggest Free Agent hitter available, give them some credit.


    Well said sir.
    Image
    User avatar
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *
     
    Posts: 10852
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:47 am
    Location: Pasco, WA


  • Well I am not knocking the player as he is currently, am looking down the road even 4 years and beyond.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
    .Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 9789
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • I take back most of what Ive said. Hopefully this is just the first step towards a new era, in a positive way, a catalyst for the changes to come.

    Obviously there are some bad years on the contract, but its a price to pay to get the ball rolling.
    akscoundrel
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 121
    Joined: Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:11 am


  • That's fine Chris but what are we supposed to do? Keep trotting Smoak and Seager out there along witj Ackley to get blown out by the Astros?

    Even 5 years from now what does it matter? Baseball has no salary cap. Its not like the team will be in an Oakland Raiders situation.
    User avatar
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 9166
    Joined: Fri Nov 05, 2010 7:00 pm
    Location: Is Everything


  • CALIHAWK1 wrote:That's fine Chris but what are we supposed to do? Keep trotting Smoak and Seager out there along witj Ackley to get blown out by the Astros?

    Even 5 years from now what does it matter? Baseball has no salary cap. Its not like the team will be in an Oakland Raiders situation.



    It's more of the lack of evaluation we have in house, which really is the deeper issue. Talent projection and evaluation of how they not only will fit the team but physically grow into their adulthood.

    Frames and muscle bulk etc. You rarely find guys that can hit homeruns consistently that are under 6 feet in our park and weigh a 180 pounds as mature adults.

    We do pretty well with the defensive side and just contact guys and pitching, we fall on our face with power guys.

    Whether its bat speed and power or just muscle to frame or the combination. Tito Martinez, Arod, Junior are the last guys we had that did that consistently that came from our system. Curious aspect is the all came close to the same time. We got Bones in a trade, we need more of those kinds of trades, bench guys or younger players waiting for a shot and available for ageing player on a team making a push. Rather then giving our young players to a contender for a aging vet.

    As far as a cap it is a self imposed cap but still a cap. Z has to lobbie for numbers, it was parked around 120 million for a long time. High for the average really, not for whats on the field.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
    .Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 9789
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • This is just going to be another one of those huge contracts that fall apart for the M's. 240 million bucks for a player that's 31 years old...sounds kind of dumb. A gamble that stirs the pot never hurts when nothing else is though, so why not.

    They still need to produce more runs as LA, TEX, and OAK were all in the top 8 in runs scored (SEA was 22). They did well hitting it out of the park (ranking 2nd in home runs), they were in the bottom third of the league in total hits and batting average. I'm not sure how many walks they drew, but if they can find a way to get on base more just using bats...they could be a dangerous club and possibly even a contender. The players in Seattle are hard workers, it's a shame the owners are sort of disconnected.

    Point being, they need to add another piece or two to help keep some pressure off Cano.
    Image

    Go Hawks.
    User avatar
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2108
    Joined: Mon Aug 20, 2012 5:06 am


  • Scottemojo wrote:IMO, this has a grenade's chance of blowing up. Not because Cano is awful, career 309 hitter at Safeco. No, it's because I have an inherent mistrust of general managers who make a big splash to try and save their job. And make no mistake, Z's job is on the line.


    This comes after Z went balls out for Hamilton last year and Fielder the year before that. The $240 million blows the Yankees offer out of the water- Z was desperate and didn't want to go 0 for 3 knowing this is almost certainly his final chance.

    He's not done either- he's also trying to trade a bunch of good/elite prospects for David Price, and there have also been Billy Butler rumors. I like Butler and Price is a perennial Cy Young candidate that Seattle stupidly passed on in the draft a few years ago. I will say this, while Z is overpaying and that is always bad, at least he isn't targeting crappy, over-rated players.

    I see this signing as being a bit like Keynesian economics, in the sense that the Mariners are spending more when some of the economic factors say they should spend less. Or to put it another way, in a rich get richer league where the crappy teams struggle to have their way in FA, it is in your long term interest to build a winner as soon as possible, even if that winning team is overpriced. Overpaying for Cano is obvious. What is less obvious is how they would likely have to overpay even for guys like Matt Garza or Corey Hart or David DeJesus. Hell, the Mariners just had to pay almost $6 million for a 36 year old Willie Bloomquist, who was terrible when he was 26.

    It's a big if, but if the Mariners can buy their way to an 80+ win season next year, it won't just give Z a reprieve, it will give the team image a huge shot in the arm, not to mention added revenue and finally some ability to work some moneyball magic in free agency as well. The only question is, is Z a moneyball GM? Because the last three offseasons, he's looked a lot more like Billy Bavasi than Billy Beane.

    I'd be kind of excited if they got Price. They'd have 3 Cy Young candidate pitchers in the rotation with some good prospects to fill behind them. They desperately need outfield help, but if they can manage a low-cost outfield with good defense and non-terrible bats, though could be an 80 win team no problem. But there is still a ton of work to be done, and I have no idea how they are going to fix that outfield, especially with all the resources they are putting elsewhere.
    User avatar
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *
     
    Posts: 10328
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am


  • Ugh, in an article to get David Price:
    It's still unclear exactly what it's going to take for one of those clubs to make this happen. But here's a pithy assessment from one interested party: "Andrew," he said, "is looking to make the Herschel Walker trade."


    http://espn.go.com/mlb/wintermeetings20 ... gs-preview

    Don't even follow baseball like that, but if the M's trade away Walker and more for a 2 year rental... :34853_doh:
    20% off Karmaloop & 10% off PLNDR, rep code: DUCK20
    User avatar
    dontbelikethat
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2072
    Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:40 pm


  • This reeks of overspending to try and save your job.
    Image
    User avatar
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *
     
    Posts: 9079
    Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:40 am
    Location: Granite Falls, WA


  • dontbelikethat wrote:Ugh, in an article to get David Price:
    It's still unclear exactly what it's going to take for one of those clubs to make this happen. But here's a pithy assessment from one interested party: "Andrew," he said, "is looking to make the Herschel Walker trade."


    http://espn.go.com/mlb/wintermeetings20 ... gs-preview

    Don't even follow baseball like that, but if the M's trade away Walker and more for a 2 year rental... :34853_doh:

    Yep, I wouldn't trade Walker period.
    42-13, 29-3, and 23-17 and a Lombardi trophy from THIS millennium.....deal with it niner trolls

    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!
    User avatar
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 10824
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:36 pm
    Location: Lombardi Land


  • Sports Hernia wrote:
    dontbelikethat wrote:Ugh, in an article to get David Price:
    It's still unclear exactly what it's going to take for one of those clubs to make this happen. But here's a pithy assessment from one interested party: "Andrew," he said, "is looking to make the Herschel Walker trade."


    http://espn.go.com/mlb/wintermeetings20 ... gs-preview

    Don't even follow baseball like that, but if the M's trade away Walker and more for a 2 year rental... :34853_doh:

    Yep, I wouldn't trade Walker period.


    Yes, Walker has to be someone we don't trade. Even if it helped us get Price, I still wouldn't consider it.

    I mean did the M's organization not learn anything from the Eric Bedard trade?
    Image
    User avatar
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *
     
    Posts: 10852
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:47 am
    Location: Pasco, WA


  • I'd rather keep Walker and sign Ubaldo Jimenez. There is a drop off of talent from Price, but that would solve 2 rotation spots instead of one and we control Walker for a long time. Price would be gone after 2 years as a free agent (no way they pay him and Felix beyond those 2 years).

    Trade Franklin and parts for another bat.

    That's my preference.
    Last edited by HawkFan72 on Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Image
    User avatar
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 11306
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:50 am
    Location: Antioch, CA


  • Cano alone will not make the M's a contender, this deal makes no sense if they don't grab a few more pieces. I wonder what there going to do with Franklin, hopefully a move to the outfield.
    User avatar
    getnasty
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 878
    Joined: Sun Nov 07, 2010 8:22 pm


  • Smelly McUgly wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Well it's not our money, what people get pissed about is when they can't resign good players because of over extending themselves on contracts for player that are not contributing. Cano at 39 won't be swinging the bat as well as he is now and still be tieing up salary, say we have a stud 3rd baseman and we let him go to someplace else due to money. Thats what pisses off fanbases.


    Exactly. I have never understood the "Well, it's not your money" argument. We care because a bad contract restricts a team's opportunities to get better down the road by taking up the budget. It's not hard to understand, folks.


    Restricts all the team opportunities ans financial flexibility that they've so dutifully taken advantage of in past years?

    The point is that its not your money and the idea of saving money and making financially responsible decisions that moderately improve the present while protecting the future have gotten this team nowhere.

    Seriously what Mariners fan is concerned about our financial future after the last decade we've been through? What are we saving up for?
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4658
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • Schultz and Lincoln did this DAMN THEM !!!!! :D

    I wonder which of the 3 would be best suited to play the outfield between, Miller, Franklin and Seager? How good of a glove is Cano? could he be better suited to DH or maybe 1b?
    User avatar
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2599
    Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:55 pm
    Location: Battle Ground, Wa


  • m0ng0 wrote:Schultz and Lincoln did this DAMN THEM !!!!! :D

    I wonder which of the 3 would be best suited to play the outfield between, Miller, Franklin and Seager? How good of a glove is Cano? could he be better suited to DH or maybe 1b?


    Well Lincoln is retiring in a month, so he didn't care if the Mariners gave Cano a 50 year contract. He doesn't have to deal with it.
    Image
    User avatar
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 11306
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:50 am
    Location: Antioch, CA


  • What is with people and this whole "well we signed this player, so that means we will lose out on other players in the future" thing. Until it actually happens, it's all speculative. Enjoy the moment folks, worry about 5 years from now in 5 years
    User avatar
    amill87
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1331
    Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:35 pm


  • amill87 wrote:What is with people and this whole "well we signed this player, so that means we will lose out on other players in the future" thing. Until it actually happens, it's all speculative. Enjoy the moment folks, worry about 5 years from now in 5 years


    Because in the moment thinking is what gets you over your budget, it doesn't plan for the stars coming up and yet to show you what they can do. We have seen the historical rammifications of this several times. If you ignore those outcomes then your doomed to repeat and have the same consequences.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
    .Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 9789
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • I know I should hate the idea of trading Walker, but then I remember Michael Pineda. Even really nice prospects still have to prove they can stay healthy with MLB workloads. Seattle tried to trade Walker + Franklin for a very good outfielder last offseason and just missed out. In terms of WAR, Price is basically just as good as said outfielder, though he'd have less team control.

    Deep down in my heart I know that the Cano move is more bad than good, and I know the a Price trade is probably a bad idea long term. But if Seattle adds both Cano and Price, you are talking about by far the best 1-3 rotation in baseball, maybe one of the best 1-3's in baseball history, and you are also talking about a 10-12 WAR boost to a team that has had a 75 win baseline the last few years. That alone won't get them to the playoffs, but if they make a few nice moves around two with the remaining resources and then have a few pleasant surprises next season from the younger core, you are looking at a well rounded, 85-95 win team. And if they make the playoffs with a rotation like that, I really like their chances.

    I'm not going overboard here, the Mariners probably won't be world champs any time soon and making the playoffs is still going to be hard, but at least the Mariners have some hope now, and at least there will be actual intrigue over a Mariner's season for the first time in about four years.

    I just wish Cano played the outfield. Seattle has a bunch of 4th and 5th outfielder types, which is how guys like Ibanez and even Mike Morse got so much time in the corners last season.
    User avatar
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *
     
    Posts: 10328
    Joined: Tue Mar 06, 2007 1:44 am


  • How good does this look?
    Attachments
    image.jpg
    image.jpg (29.28 KiB) Viewed 286 times
    Image
    3elieve
    User avatar
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *
     
    Posts: 18845
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 8:02 am
    Location: Graham, WA


  • kearly wrote:I know I should hate the idea of trading Walker, but then I remember Michael Pineda. Even really nice prospects still have to prove they can stay healthy with MLB workloads. Seattle tried to trade Walker + Franklin for a very good outfielder last offseason and just missed out. In terms of WAR, Price is basically just as good as said outfielder, though he'd have less team control.

    Deep down in my heart I know that the Cano move is more bad than good, and I know the a Price trade is probably a bad idea long term. But if Seattle adds both Cano and Price, you are talking about by far the best 1-3 rotation in baseball, maybe one of the best 1-3's in baseball history, and you are also talking about a 10-12 WAR boost to a team that has had a 75 win baseline the last few years. That alone won't get them to the playoffs, but if they make a few nice moves around two with the remaining resources and then have a few pleasant surprises next season from the younger core, you are looking at a well rounded, 85-95 win team. And if they make the playoffs with a rotation like that, I really like their chances.

    I'm not going overboard here, the Mariners probably won't be world champs any time soon and making the playoffs is still going to be hard, but at least the Mariners have some hope now, and at least there will be actual intrigue over a Mariner's season for the first time in about four years.

    I just wish Cano played the outfield. Seattle has a bunch of 4th and 5th outfielder types, which is how guys like Ibanez and even Mike Morse got so much time in the corners last season.

    I think my biggest problem with it is that at a moment when the Mariners are already a left dominated lineup, and desperate for right handed hitting, they spent the bulk of their capital on a lefty who WILL be pitched around if they don't cover him on both sides.

    And in 5 years they better start sending him to see caribbean doctors in the winter. wink wink.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    User avatar
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*
     
    Posts: 10615
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:14 am


  • If be more worried about the amount of years and the no trade clause as a Mariners fan. As a yankees fan though, I'm kind of glad he went somewhere else for that much money for that many years, it would be A-rod all over again probably
    User avatar
    jhawk91
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1128
    Joined: Thu Mar 10, 2011 1:44 am
    Location: Newberg, Oregon


  • kearly wrote:Deep down in my heart I know that the Cano move is more bad than good, and I know the a Price trade is probably a bad idea long term. But if Seattle adds both Cano and Price, you are talking about by far the best 1-3 rotation in baseball, maybe one of the best 1-3's in baseball history,


    2 Cy Young winners and a top 3 finalist as your 1-2-3. then mix it walker/paxton and possibly Erasmo Ramiriez or Danny Hultzen? WOW !!! I hope we can pick up a bit more offense and things are looking good for next year!
    User avatar
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2599
    Joined: Sun Sep 18, 2011 1:55 pm
    Location: Battle Ground, Wa


  • 10 year deal for a dude over 30.

    Smart.
    Image
    User avatar
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *
     
    Posts: 9079
    Joined: Wed Feb 28, 2007 6:40 am
    Location: Granite Falls, WA


  • chris98251 wrote:
    amill87 wrote:What is with people and this whole "well we signed this player, so that means we will lose out on other players in the future" thing. Until it actually happens, it's all speculative. Enjoy the moment folks, worry about 5 years from now in 5 years


    Because in the moment thinking is what gets you over your budget, it doesn't plan for the stars coming up and yet to show you what they can do. We have seen the historical rammifications of this several times. If you ignore those outcomes then your doomed to repeat and have the same consequences.


    You're right. We shouldn't spend any money because in the future it might effect us negatively. We should just stick with commercials telling us to be patient while the guys we draft finally develop into stars. That's the way to do it.

    Everyone knows the Mariners overpaid. But they had to. They have been garbage because they have been trying to develop internal talent over the past couple years. This is a move that shows players and agents that the Mariners are willing to pay for talent and that's half the battle at drawing in players. The other part is winning. If they can move into the 80 win category it moves them a little closer and players will view them a little better. Than you can get a few more players and get some more wins and just keep that ball rolling.

    The Mariners are in a bad place and the only way to turn this around isn't to wait 5 more years for draft picks to be ready
    User avatar
    amill87
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1331
    Joined: Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:35 pm


  • Probably funded by Chris Hansen . . . "Hey guys, stop hating on this sonics deal and I will attempt to make you relevant in someway"

    I don't really like baseball, but at least this move was interesting. That first big move out of the gutter is always expensive. I might even keep an eye on things. Good for the Ms.
    User avatar
    Coug_Hawk08
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2957
    Joined: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:26 am


  • Tech Worlds wrote:10 year deal for a dude over 30.

    Smart.


    There's no such thing as smart in free agent baseball... Not really a new thing
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4658
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • chris98251 wrote:
    amill87 wrote:What is with people and this whole "well we signed this player, so that means we will lose out on other players in the future" thing. Until it actually happens, it's all speculative. Enjoy the moment folks, worry about 5 years from now in 5 years


    Because in the moment thinking is what gets you over your budget, it doesn't plan for the stars coming up and yet to show you what they can do. We have seen the historical rammifications of this several times. If you ignore those outcomes then your doomed to repeat and have the same consequences.

    I guess I didn't realize we have budgetary responsibility. I'll be damned, I thought we were all just fans.
    Image
    User avatar
    Jazzhawk
    * NET News Scoop *
    * NET News Scoop *
     
    Posts: 8956
    Joined: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:16 pm


  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Smelly McUgly wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Well it's not our money, what people get pissed about is when they can't resign good players because of over extending themselves on contracts for player that are not contributing. Cano at 39 won't be swinging the bat as well as he is now and still be tieing up salary, say we have a stud 3rd baseman and we let him go to someplace else due to money. Thats what pisses off fanbases.


    Exactly. I have never understood the "Well, it's not your money" argument. We care because a bad contract restricts a team's opportunities to get better down the road by taking up the budget. It's not hard to understand, folks.


    Restricts all the team opportunities ans financial flexibility that they've so dutifully taken advantage of in past years?

    The point is that its not your money and the idea of saving money and making financially responsible decisions that moderately improve the present while protecting the future have gotten this team nowhere.

    Seriously what Mariners fan is concerned about our financial future after the last decade we've been through? What are we saving up for?


    Don't get me wrong, I agree with you. However, I do get that the other side is concerned that the Ms won't just slash payroll if this doesn't work out in two or three years and we end up with a +1.8 WAR Cano at age 37 and a bunch of nothing besides because Cano is making 24M. I think that it's a valid concern.

    Personally, as you said later down the thread, this is FA in baseball. Our guys can't draft and develop like the Rays do, so we're going to have to spend or just be mediocre forever. Right now, this team just got five wins better, so I can live with what might happen in the future.
    "He's a *****. It's not that he was a *****, he is a *****, and that's why he hasn't won anything."
    User avatar
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3534
    Joined: Wed Mar 06, 2013 2:30 pm
    Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest


  • Throwdown wrote:How good does this look?


    This picture made me realize how The M's got Cano to finalize the deal.

    Jack Z: "And if you sign with us, you don't have to shave everyday like on the Yankees. You can keep your facial hair."

    Cano: "Where do I sign?"
    Image
    User avatar
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 11306
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:50 am
    Location: Antioch, CA


  • A bit desperate but at least it's something but they need AT least one more heavy bat to be relavent.
    43-8...it's all about that action boss....
    next man up.
    User avatar
    MizzouHawkGal
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 6359
    Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:46 pm
    Location: Kansas City, MO


  • I stated above, if we can't develop our own guys the problem is in our evaluation, spending big money to mask it is just that, a band aide over a wound that is likely to fester till you need to cut the limb off.

    Saying that whether its Z our scouting or what we determine makes a prospect probably needs to be looked at, if the Rays, A's and other teams have the capability to churn players into the league there is no reason this team can't. There was a time when the Cheap ownership would not pay anyone back in the old days, we were commonly known at the AAA farm team for the rest of the league with the amount of players we turned out that were on other teams.
    Image

    To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Used to be an Alumni till they pulled a USC on me...
    .Net official Clueless, Dumbass, Douche, Simpleton, CensoredTard , Idiot, member of the 38 club.
    User avatar
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker
     
    Posts: 9789
    Joined: Tue Feb 27, 2007 10:52 pm
    Location: Renton Wa.


  • chris98251 wrote:I stated above, if we can't develop our own guys the problem is in our evaluation, spending big money to mask it is just that, a band aide over a wound that is likely to fester till you need to cut the limb off.

    Saying that whether its Z our scouting or what we determine makes a prospect probably needs to be looked at, if the Rays, A's and other teams have the capability to churn players into the league there is no reason this team can't. There was a time when the Cheap ownership would not pay anyone back in the old days, we were commonly known at the AAA farm team for the rest of the league with the amount of players we turned out that were on other teams.


    We aren't developing enough young guys to fill an entire roster. At some point you can't expect to start 9 homegrown guys. If you have a guy like Cano that forces players like Ackley or Franklin to step up and battle for a position instead of both of them playing because you have no other options.

    You have to make moves that bolster your team instead of being afraid of all the things that can go wrong.
    SUPER BOWL 48 CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!

    RIP ROAD WOES 12/2/2012
    User avatar
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7087
    Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:56 pm


  • That's two mil a month for ten years. It is going to be a full time job to spend that much money.
    I know where the Mariners can find a good shortstop who lives locally and is unemployed from January until September... Probably could pick him up cheap so he wouldn't have to collect unemployment. He is too short to play football, but not for baseball... Has a cool wallet, too...
    Donn2390
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 172
    Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:16 am
    Location: Apple Valley, California


  • Donn2390 wrote:That's two mil a month for ten years. It is going to be a full time job to spend that much money.
    I know where the Mariners can find a good shortstop who lives locally and is unemployed from January until September... Probably could pick him up cheap so he wouldn't have to collect unemployment. He is too short to play football, but not for baseball... Has a cool wallet, too...


    You mean the guy who had a .230 career average in two years of lower minor leagues?
    SUPER BOWL 48 CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!

    RIP ROAD WOES 12/2/2012
    User avatar
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7087
    Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:56 pm


  • Taijuan Walker ‏@tai_walker
    All these trade rumors are crazy Flattered to be mentioned in rumors for Price but I really hope to stay in seattle and win a championship


    :D
    20% off Karmaloop & 10% off PLNDR, rep code: DUCK20
    User avatar
    dontbelikethat
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2072
    Joined: Tue Nov 30, 2010 9:40 pm


  • chris98251 wrote:There was a time when the Cheap ownership would not pay anyone back in the old days, we were commonly known at the AAA farm team for the rest of the league with the amount of players we turned out that were on other teams.



    When and who?

    Its time to move on from in house developing and affordable deals for vet players. We spent a near decade trying to nurture our youth talent. We have a whole roster of it...and its not enough to be competitive.

    So we are supplementing that failure by signing the premier free agent in baseball (without sending a single promising player away) and some of you are worried his salary might handcuff our ability sign future stars?

    Good lord... If Canos deal is a problem in the future that means we've been successful.
    Last edited by Uncle Si on Sat Dec 07, 2013 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4658
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • dontbelikethat wrote:
    Taijuan Walker ‏@tai_walker
    All these trade rumors are crazy Flattered to be mentioned in rumors for Price but I really hope to stay in seattle and win a championship


    :D


    Plus 1! Don't sent Walker anywhere, send Pryor or someone else. Walker is a future star.
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2169
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 7:49 pm


  • SonicHawk wrote:
    Donn2390 wrote:That's two mil a month for ten years. It is going to be a full time job to spend that much money.
    I know where the Mariners can find a good shortstop who lives locally and is unemployed from January until September... Probably could pick him up cheap so he wouldn't have to collect unemployment. He is too short to play football, but not for baseball... Has a cool wallet, too...


    You mean the guy who had a .230 career average in two years of lower minor leagues?

    In one of his last games as a pro baseball player, Wilson and the Tourists visited the Augusta Greenjackets. Batting eighth, Wilson went 1-for-3 with an RBI triple, a walk and two stolen bases in a 6-5 loss. He went 0-for-5 a couple weeks later in his final game, capping the day by grounding into a double play -- but that came just 24 hours after he hit his last home run, a three-run blast, on June 24, 2011.
    Donn2390
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 172
    Joined: Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:16 am
    Location: Apple Valley, California


  • Donn2390 wrote:
    SonicHawk wrote:
    Donn2390 wrote:That's two mil a month for ten years. It is going to be a full time job to spend that much money.
    I know where the Mariners can find a good shortstop who lives locally and is unemployed from January until September... Probably could pick him up cheap so he wouldn't have to collect unemployment. He is too short to play football, but not for baseball... Has a cool wallet, too...


    You mean the guy who had a .230 career average in two years of lower minor leagues?

    In one of his last games as a pro baseball player, Wilson and the Tourists visited the Augusta Greenjackets. Batting eighth, Wilson went 1-for-3 with an RBI triple, a walk and two stolen bases in a 6-5 loss. He went 0-for-5 a couple weeks later in his final game, capping the day by grounding into a double play -- but that came just 24 hours after he hit his last home run, a three-run blast, on June 24, 2011.


    Sounds like Hank Aaron.
    SUPER BOWL 48 CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!

    RIP ROAD WOES 12/2/2012
    User avatar
    SonicHawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7087
    Joined: Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:56 pm


  • akscoundrel wrote:
    m0ng0 wrote:WOW ! I gotta say I am kinda liking where things are going :D


    Yes, spending an obnoxious amount of money on a dude who's best years are behind him, and was just looking to cash out on retirement is a real positive change....

    At best, we are looking at a few *decent* years of production, a few years where he doesnt have much left, and a few years ot just being a useless ball and chain to this organization. Lets also keep pretending he didnt benefit from yankee stadiums short right porch, or that the ball doesnt travel exceedingly well in safeco.

    I understand the mentality of trying to turn things around, but this was a terrible deal. 10 years to a 31 year old? Lmfao.

    want to know the change I want to see? Developing players, and actually keeping them when them become really good!


    IMO they should have pony up for Fielder a couple of years ago instead of trading for Montero. This signing is going to bite the Mariners in the butt.
    User avatar
    haroldseattle
    NET Bench Warmer
     
    Posts: 43
    Joined: Fri Jun 29, 2012 4:28 pm


PreviousNext


It is currently Fri Aug 01, 2014 4:47 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 9 guests