Robinson Cano has agreed to 10 years/$240 mill

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
  • HawkFan72 wrote:
    akscoundrel wrote:
    m0ng0 wrote:name one piece of developing talent that we have lost by signing Cano?

Its only been how many minutes since we signed cano? And you're gonna ask this as if to prove a point? You could be right, and it all works out(I hope so), but looking back we will all probably be saying (well, the writing WAS on the wall).

I'm more so looking in the future when we can't sign the next arod because our budgets maxed.

You think we have or will have the next ARod somewhere in our organization? lol

Oh, so we're pretending that its never happened, nor can ever happen again?
    akscoundrel
    NET Rookie

• IMO, this has a grenade's chance of blowing up. Not because Cano is awful, career 309 hitter at Safeco. No, it's because I have an inherent mistrust of general managers who make a big splash to try and save their job. And make no mistake, Z's job is on the line.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

• lets get russell wilson to play for the m's during the nfl offseason ;)
    ImageImageImageImageImage
    U MAD BRAH?
    Crizilla
    NET Veteran

• akscoundrel wrote:
    HawkFan72 wrote:
    akscoundrel wrote:
    m0ng0 wrote:name one piece of developing talent that we have lost by signing Cano?

Its only been how many minutes since we signed cano? And you're gonna ask this as if to prove a point? You could be right, and it all works out(I hope so), but looking back we will all probably be saying (well, the writing WAS on the wall).

I'm more so looking in the future when we can't sign the next arod because our budgets maxed.

I'm not pretending it didn't happen, I'm just not going to assume we'll have someone with that much talent in our farm system again in the next 10 years.

The Mariners offered ARod near $100 million, which at the time was a gigantic contract. The Rangers just went insane. Think about it. They offered ARod a deal that is normal NOW for the games best stars...over 12 YEARS ago. They WAY overpayed. That would be like us giving Cano a $400 million contract today if you want to compare the situations.
    Radish and Cheinhill — Gone, but not forgotten
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

• This team has basically two big contracts and a bunch of peanuts around them. They actually can go spend another 50M and only have 110M in payroll or so.

Nick Franklin is getting traded, that's for sure. I'm hoping they sign Choo and trade for an outfielder (not Kemp), then trade more pieces for Price.

That would mean your opening day Ms look like:

C: Zunino
    1B: Choo
    2B: Cano
    3B: Seager
    SS: Miller
    LF: ?
    CF: ?
    RF: ?
    DH: ? (They seem to be chasing Napoli, and Morales isn't out of the question either)

SP: King Felix
    SP: Price
    SP: Iwakuma
    SP: ? (Paxton, maybe?)
    SP: ?

Not terrible. If we have to give up Walker, Franklin, Wilhelmsen, and Ackley in some combination to get Shields and an OF here, why the hell not? They're trying to win now, which should at least be interesting. I hated this move initially, but if we're going to do it, let's do it right.
    Last edited by Smelly McUgly on Fri Dec 06, 2013 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

--Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

• Price is younger and a lefty, but depending on what we would be forced to give up I would be good with either.....

**also I don't see Willie in that starting lineup ** :D
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• Outfield is a mess. They need to improve that before even thinking of trading for Price.
    Pick6
    NET Practice Squad

• HawkFan72 wrote:
    akscoundrel wrote:
    HawkFan72 wrote:
    akscoundrel wrote:

I'm not pretending it didn't happen, I'm just not going to assume we'll have someone with that much talent in our farm system again in the next 10 years.

The Mariners offered ARod near $100 million, which at the time was a gigantic contract. The Rangers just went insane. Think about it. They offered ARod a deal that is normal NOW for the games best stars...over 12 YEARS ago. They WAY overpayed. That would be like us giving Cano a $400 million contract today if you want to compare the situations.

Its the way of the world, talent is continually growing up and getting signed. Arod isnt even the most recent, but Felix Hernandez.

Yes the rangers went insane about it, but atleast arod was young(er) with his best years ahead of him. Its kinda hard to compare the two contracts because of different times, factors such as age and whatnot, but imo we just went as obnoxious with the cano contract. Think about this; we just spent more than the biggest spenders in baseball were willing to pay. And he's not a young talent with his best years ahead of him.

All in all, I hope it works out. I just know history is against us, and can see the writing on the wall. I understand the optimism, and realize that we'd all be willing to crawl through a pile of poop just for a sliver of success at this point.
    akscoundrel
    NET Rookie

• Actually, screw Price. We should try to get Tanaka.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

• Tanaka is a crap shoot, no way to know how his "stuff" translates to the MLB, but yeah thats an option to explore as well.
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• m0ng0 wrote:Tanaka is a crap shoot, no way to know how his "stuff" translates to the MLB, but yeah thats an option to explore as well.

Fair point, but pitchers are a crap shoot in general just because their arms go out suddenly and without warning.

If we could run out Felix, Tanaka, Iwakuma, Walker, and Paxton next year, my pants would be sticky for 162 games.

Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

• yep I agree, but to quote oh brother where art thou.....Shields and Price are bonafide
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• People cry and bitch the Mariners don't spend money, then when they do, they cry and bitch it's too much and a waste. What the hell do they want? Justin Smoak batting cleanup again? Clowns like Miguel Olivo in the middle of the order? Get over yourselves. They went out and got the biggest Free Agent hitter available, give them some credit.
    Seaswab
    NET Veteran

• Seaswab wrote:People cry and bitch the Mariners don't spend money, then when they do, they cry and bitch it's too much and a waste. What the hell do they want? Justin Smoak batting cleanup again? Clowns like Miguel Olivo in the middle of the order? Get over yourselves. They went out and got the biggest Free Agent hitter available, give them some credit.

:th2thumbs:
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• I basically am at the point where I feel as though developing young players didn't work out, the nifty trades for undervalued guys like Gutierrez unfortunately did not work out, and the pieces at a modest price did not work out, so eff it, just break the bank and see what happens. They just got their new TV deal, so they have the money. Without stuff like this, they are aiming for being the fifth-most popular pro team in the city once the Nu-Sonics and hockey team are here in the next few years. They are well aware that the Seahawks and Sounders are smoking them.

It was spend to become relevant and try to win now or banish themselves to irrelevance, so at least they did the former.

Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

• Cry and bitch about 31 year olds not 25 year olds.

To Be P/C or Not P/C That is the Question..........Seahawks kick Ass !!!!
    Check your PM's, Thank you for everything Radish RIP My Friend. :les:
    Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• It cracks me up when people whine about money spent. It is market value and in this case more than market value. They needed to make this move to at least try and get the M's back to a playoff series. I am happy for M's fans.

R.I.P. Brother Les
    Largent80
    NET Ring Of Honor

• How many 25 year old free agents are available? Tick , tock, tick, tock......
    Seaswab
    NET Veteran

• Largent80 wrote:It cracks me up when people whine about money spent. It is market value and in this case more than market value. They needed to make this move to at least try and get the M's back to a playoff series. I am happy for M's fans.

Again I agree supplementing the roster with select FA is necessary, just big contracts for a player for 10 years that will give you a return typically for 3 maybe 4 isn't a great idea.

Also playoffs, a winning season would be a good start.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Seaswab wrote:People cry and bitch the Mariners don't spend money, then when they do, they cry and bitch it's too much and a waste. What the hell do they want? Justin Smoak batting cleanup again? Clowns like Miguel Olivo in the middle of the order? Get over yourselves. They went out and got the biggest Free Agent hitter available, give them some credit.

it is a bit unnerving though... i mean its a big contract, and as ak said, history is against us.

I just love the intent
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Yep. Some people will never be happy. Oh well.

This is a huge get for the M's and I'm stoked about it.
    Football Outsiders wrote:The Seahawks have a third-and-long defensive DVOA of -102.1%. Seriously, when Seattle knows you have to pass, you are completely terribly, violently screwed.
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• Chris, fair point, but I think that we couldn't even get select FA to come here at this point. They needed to do something to get FA to think that coming here, at the worst, will get you paid. We have to get them on the damn plane.

I think it's a wobbly argument to say that the value of this contract goes beyond Cano's WAR every year, but I'm going to make it anyway.

Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

• Seaswab wrote:How many 25 year old free agents are available? Tick , tock, tick, tock......

Oh I agree they are harder to come by, but thats where scouts and GM's are suppose to earn their money, these guys in AAA waiting for a Cano to leave to be called up are the guys we want to target. We have whiffed badly in that regard. But that is what makes teams great having people that can see those players and build a sustained competitor.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• Largent80 wrote:It cracks me up when people whine about money spent. It is market value and in this case more than market value. They needed to make this move to at least try and get the M's back to a playoff series. I am happy for M's fans.

(and... and please keep this a secret... its not OUR money... ssshhhhhh)
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

• Great first step, need to follow it up with other good moves. Being such a long deal it will bite them in the end, but almost 10 years of pretty much self induced epic failure they pretty much painted themselves into a corner and had to make a move like this+.

The other sweet thing is it takes a superstar away from the yankers. :th2thumbs:
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• Uncle Si wrote:
    Largent80 wrote:It cracks me up when people whine about money spent. It is market value and in this case more than market value. They needed to make this move to at least try and get the M's back to a playoff series. I am happy for M's fans.

(and... and please keep this a secret... its not OUR money... ssshhhhhh)

good point. I think folks forget that at times.

Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• Well it's not our money, what people get pissed about is when they can't resign good players because of over extending themselves on contracts for player that are not contributing. Cano at 39 won't be swinging the bat as well as he is now and still be tieing up salary, say we have a stud 3rd baseman and we let him go to someplace else due to money. Thats what pisses off fanbases.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• chris98251 wrote:Well it's not our money, what people get pissed about is when they can't resign good players because of over extending themselves on contracts for player that are not contributing. Cano at 39 won't be swinging the bat as well as he is now and still be tieing up salary, say we have a stud 3rd baseman and we let him go to someplace else due to money. Thats what pisses off fanbases.

Exactly. I have never understood the "Well, it's not your money" argument. We care because a bad contract restricts a team's opportunities to get better down the road by taking up the budget. It's not hard to understand, folks.

Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

• chris98251 wrote:Well it's not our money, what people get pissed about is when they can't resign good players because of over extending themselves on contracts for player that are not contributing. Cano at 39 won't be swinging the bat as well as he is now and still be tieing up salary, say we have a stud 3rd baseman and we let him go to someplace else due to money. Thats what pisses off fanbases.

Until they come up to be resigned we don't know that is the case at all, they inked Cano and are rumored to be looking at others, its almost like they have been waiting for this tv money to come through and are now opening up their wallet a little bit. Besides that we got the swiss army knife Willie Bloomquist nothing shows wanting to win more then that :D
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

Well said sir.
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• Well I am not knocking the player as he is currently, am looking down the road even 4 years and beyond.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• I take back most of what Ive said. Hopefully this is just the first step towards a new era, in a positive way, a catalyst for the changes to come.

Obviously there are some bad years on the contract, but its a price to pay to get the ball rolling.
    akscoundrel
    NET Rookie

• That's fine Chris but what are we supposed to do? Keep trotting Smoak and Seager out there along witj Ackley to get blown out by the Astros?

Even 5 years from now what does it matter? Baseball has no salary cap. Its not like the team will be in an Oakland Raiders situation.
    CALIHAWK1
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*
    *PLATINUM SUPPORTER*

• CALIHAWK1 wrote:That's fine Chris but what are we supposed to do? Keep trotting Smoak and Seager out there along witj Ackley to get blown out by the Astros?

Even 5 years from now what does it matter? Baseball has no salary cap. Its not like the team will be in an Oakland Raiders situation.

It's more of the lack of evaluation we have in house, which really is the deeper issue. Talent projection and evaluation of how they not only will fit the team but physically grow into their adulthood.

Frames and muscle bulk etc. You rarely find guys that can hit homeruns consistently that are under 6 feet in our park and weigh a 180 pounds as mature adults.

We do pretty well with the defensive side and just contact guys and pitching, we fall on our face with power guys.

Whether its bat speed and power or just muscle to frame or the combination. Tito Martinez, Arod, Junior are the last guys we had that did that consistently that came from our system. Curious aspect is the all came close to the same time. We got Bones in a trade, we need more of those kinds of trades, bench guys or younger players waiting for a shot and available for ageing player on a team making a push. Rather then giving our young players to a contender for a aging vet.

As far as a cap it is a self imposed cap but still a cap. Z has to lobbie for numbers, it was parked around 120 million for a long time. High for the average really, not for whats on the field.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• This is just going to be another one of those huge contracts that fall apart for the M's. 240 million bucks for a player that's 31 years old...sounds kind of dumb. A gamble that stirs the pot never hurts when nothing else is though, so why not.

They still need to produce more runs as LA, TEX, and OAK were all in the top 8 in runs scored (SEA was 22). They did well hitting it out of the park (ranking 2nd in home runs), they were in the bottom third of the league in total hits and batting average. I'm not sure how many walks they drew, but if they can find a way to get on base more just using bats...they could be a dangerous club and possibly even a contender. The players in Seattle are hard workers, it's a shame the owners are sort of disconnected.

Point being, they need to add another piece or two to help keep some pressure off Cano.

Go Hawks.
    SouthSoundHawk
    NET Veteran

• Scottemojo wrote:IMO, this has a grenade's chance of blowing up. Not because Cano is awful, career 309 hitter at Safeco. No, it's because I have an inherent mistrust of general managers who make a big splash to try and save their job. And make no mistake, Z's job is on the line.

This comes after Z went balls out for Hamilton last year and Fielder the year before that. The $240 million blows the Yankees offer out of the water- Z was desperate and didn't want to go 0 for 3 knowing this is almost certainly his final chance.

He's not done either- he's also trying to trade a bunch of good/elite prospects for David Price, and there have also been Billy Butler rumors. I like Butler and Price is a perennial Cy Young candidate that Seattle stupidly passed on in the draft a few years ago. I will say this, while Z is overpaying and that is always bad, at least he isn't targeting crappy, over-rated players.

I see this signing as being a bit like Keynesian economics, in the sense that the Mariners are spending more when some of the economic factors say they should spend less. Or to put it another way, in a rich get richer league where the crappy teams struggle to have their way in FA, it is in your long term interest to build a winner as soon as possible, even if that winning team is overpriced. Overpaying for Cano is obvious. What is less obvious is how they would likely have to overpay even for guys like Matt Garza or Corey Hart or David DeJesus. Hell, the Mariners just had to pay almost $6 million for a 36 year old Willie Bloomquist, who was terrible when he was 26.

It's a big if, but if the Mariners can buy their way to an 80+ win season next year, it won't just give Z a reprieve, it will give the team image a huge shot in the arm, not to mention added revenue and finally some ability to work some moneyball magic in free agency as well. The only question is, is Z a moneyball GM? Because the last three offseasons, he's looked a lot more like Billy Bavasi than Billy Beane.

I'd be kind of excited if they got Price. They'd have 3 Cy Young candidate pitchers in the rotation with some good prospects to fill behind them. They desperately need outfield help, but if they can manage a low-cost outfield with good defense and non-terrible bats, though could be an 80 win team no problem. But there is still a ton of work to be done, and I have no idea how they are going to fix that outfield, especially with all the resources they are putting elsewhere.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• Ugh, in an article to get David Price:
    It's still unclear exactly what it's going to take for one of those clubs to make this happen. But here's a pithy assessment from one interested party: "Andrew," he said, "is looking to make the Herschel Walker trade."

http://espn.go.com/mlb/wintermeetings20 ... gs-preview

Don't even follow baseball like that, but if the M's trade away Walker and more for a 2 year rental... :34853_doh:
    20% off Karmaloop & 10% off PLNDR, rep code: DUCK20
    dontbelikethat
    NET Veteran

• This reeks of overspending to try and save your job.
    Tech Worlds
    * Capt'n Dom *
    * Capt'n Dom *

• dontbelikethat wrote:Ugh, in an article to get David Price:
    It's still unclear exactly what it's going to take for one of those clubs to make this happen. But here's a pithy assessment from one interested party: "Andrew," he said, "is looking to make the Herschel Walker trade."

Don't even follow baseball like that, but if the M's trade away Walker and more for a 2 year rental... :34853_doh:

Yep, I wouldn't trade Walker period.

Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

• Sports Hernia wrote:
    dontbelikethat wrote:Ugh, in an article to get David Price:

Yep, I wouldn't trade Walker period.

Yes, Walker has to be someone we don't trade. Even if it helped us get Price, I still wouldn't consider it.

I mean did the M's organization not learn anything from the Eric Bedard trade?
    Blitzer88
    * NET Eeyore *

• I'd rather keep Walker and sign Ubaldo Jimenez. There is a drop off of talent from Price, but that would solve 2 rotation spots instead of one and we control Walker for a long time. Price would be gone after 2 years as a free agent (no way they pay him and Felix beyond those 2 years).

Trade Franklin and parts for another bat.

That's my preference.
    Last edited by HawkFan72 on Fri Dec 06, 2013 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

• Cano alone will not make the M's a contender, this deal makes no sense if they don't grab a few more pieces. I wonder what there going to do with Franklin, hopefully a move to the outfield.
    getnasty
    NET Veteran

• Smelly McUgly wrote:
    chris98251 wrote:Well it's not our money, what people get pissed about is when they can't resign good players because of over extending themselves on contracts for player that are not contributing. Cano at 39 won't be swinging the bat as well as he is now and still be tieing up salary, say we have a stud 3rd baseman and we let him go to someplace else due to money. Thats what pisses off fanbases.

Exactly. I have never understood the "Well, it's not your money" argument. We care because a bad contract restricts a team's opportunities to get better down the road by taking up the budget. It's not hard to understand, folks.

Restricts all the team opportunities ans financial flexibility that they've so dutifully taken advantage of in past years?

The point is that its not your money and the idea of saving money and making financially responsible decisions that moderately improve the present while protecting the future have gotten this team nowhere.

Seriously what Mariners fan is concerned about our financial future after the last decade we've been through? What are we saving up for?
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

• Schultz and Lincoln did this DAMN THEM !!!!! :D

I wonder which of the 3 would be best suited to play the outfield between, Miller, Franklin and Seager? How good of a glove is Cano? could he be better suited to DH or maybe 1b?
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• m0ng0 wrote:Schultz and Lincoln did this DAMN THEM !!!!! :D

I wonder which of the 3 would be best suited to play the outfield between, Miller, Franklin and Seager? How good of a glove is Cano? could he be better suited to DH or maybe 1b?

Well Lincoln is retiring in a month, so he didn't care if the Mariners gave Cano a 50 year contract. He doesn't have to deal with it.
    HawkFan72
    NET Pro Bowler

• What is with people and this whole "well we signed this player, so that means we will lose out on other players in the future" thing. Until it actually happens, it's all speculative. Enjoy the moment folks, worry about 5 years from now in 5 years
    amill87
    NET Veteran

• amill87 wrote:What is with people and this whole "well we signed this player, so that means we will lose out on other players in the future" thing. Until it actually happens, it's all speculative. Enjoy the moment folks, worry about 5 years from now in 5 years

Because in the moment thinking is what gets you over your budget, it doesn't plan for the stars coming up and yet to show you what they can do. We have seen the historical rammifications of this several times. If you ignore those outcomes then your doomed to repeat and have the same consequences.

Member of the 38 club.
    chris98251
    .NET Hijacker

• I know I should hate the idea of trading Walker, but then I remember Michael Pineda. Even really nice prospects still have to prove they can stay healthy with MLB workloads. Seattle tried to trade Walker + Franklin for a very good outfielder last offseason and just missed out. In terms of WAR, Price is basically just as good as said outfielder, though he'd have less team control.

Deep down in my heart I know that the Cano move is more bad than good, and I know the a Price trade is probably a bad idea long term. But if Seattle adds both Cano and Price, you are talking about by far the best 1-3 rotation in baseball, maybe one of the best 1-3's in baseball history, and you are also talking about a 10-12 WAR boost to a team that has had a 75 win baseline the last few years. That alone won't get them to the playoffs, but if they make a few nice moves around two with the remaining resources and then have a few pleasant surprises next season from the younger core, you are looking at a well rounded, 85-95 win team. And if they make the playoffs with a rotation like that, I really like their chances.

I'm not going overboard here, the Mariners probably won't be world champs any time soon and making the playoffs is still going to be hard, but at least the Mariners have some hope now, and at least there will be actual intrigue over a Mariner's season for the first time in about four years.

I just wish Cano played the outfield. Seattle has a bunch of 4th and 5th outfielder types, which is how guys like Ibanez and even Mike Morse got so much time in the corners last season.
    kearly
    * Mr Random Thought *

• How good does this look?
    Attachments
    image.jpg
    image.jpg (29.28 KiB) Viewed 316 times
    3elieve
    Throwdown
    * NET Baller *

• kearly wrote:I know I should hate the idea of trading Walker, but then I remember Michael Pineda. Even really nice prospects still have to prove they can stay healthy with MLB workloads. Seattle tried to trade Walker + Franklin for a very good outfielder last offseason and just missed out. In terms of WAR, Price is basically just as good as said outfielder, though he'd have less team control.

Deep down in my heart I know that the Cano move is more bad than good, and I know the a Price trade is probably a bad idea long term. But if Seattle adds both Cano and Price, you are talking about by far the best 1-3 rotation in baseball, maybe one of the best 1-3's in baseball history, and you are also talking about a 10-12 WAR boost to a team that has had a 75 win baseline the last few years. That alone won't get them to the playoffs, but if they make a few nice moves around two with the remaining resources and then have a few pleasant surprises next season from the younger core, you are looking at a well rounded, 85-95 win team. And if they make the playoffs with a rotation like that, I really like their chances.

I'm not going overboard here, the Mariners probably won't be world champs any time soon and making the playoffs is still going to be hard, but at least the Mariners have some hope now, and at least there will be actual intrigue over a Mariner's season for the first time in about four years.

I just wish Cano played the outfield. Seattle has a bunch of 4th and 5th outfielder types, which is how guys like Ibanez and even Mike Morse got so much time in the corners last season.

I think my biggest problem with it is that at a moment when the Mariners are already a left dominated lineup, and desperate for right handed hitting, they spent the bulk of their capital on a lefty who WILL be pitched around if they don't cover him on both sides.

And in 5 years they better start sending him to see caribbean doctors in the winter. wink wink.
    SEAHAWKS.NET. We All We Got, We All We Need
    Scottemojo
    *Scott of Smacksville*
    *Scott of Smacksville*

Next

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 9:22 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information