Robinson Cano has agreed to 10 years/$240 mill

Cartire

Reaction score
I'm just glad we decided to start spending money finally. In a non-salary cap sport, it's proven that you buy championships.

jhawk91

Reaction score
Well everyone, he'll has frozen over. The mariners actually spent money on a player actually worth a damn (not named Felix Hernandez)

Crizilla

Reaction score
mariners have nothing to lose. They needed a bat. I like the move.

Laloosh

Reaction score
dopeboy206":2whwq5h5 said:
dontbelikethat":2whwq5h5 said:
Cano to M's, Peterson to UW...crazy day

I might just hop back on the m's bandwagon lol

You'll have to fix the wheels first. I think that wagon got fire-bombed actually... perhaps just buy a new wagon.

chris98251

Reaction score
Cartire":1tkg4ai0 said:
I'm just glad we decided to start spending money finally. In a non-salary cap sport, it's proven that you buy championships.

We have spent money here before, Jim McElvane, Benoit Benjiman, Adrián Beltré , Jeff Cirillo, Chone Figgins, Richie Sexson, Heathcliff Slocumb, Richie Zisk, Érik Bédard ,

Yeah that buying championships worked out real well here in both basketball and baseball.

You build and scout well, Oakland has done it for years, they just don't keep the talent, add a FA here and there to support your roster and go. Texas and the Angels have done well using that method as well, not wholesale FA buying to supplement a roster built in the farm system.

jkitsune

Reaction score
Let me start by saying that I'm excited that a very good player has chosen to come to Seattle (albeit for tons of money). It may well make the Mariners more enjoyable to watch next year, and that in and of itself would be a victory.

That said, unless this really signifies that the team is ready to raise payroll WELL above current levels and continue to spend to put other pieces around Cano, Hernandez, and Iwakuma, this is going to go down as a very silly deal in the long run. The M's need a lot more than just Cano, and I hope they realize that they'll have to continue to overspend to get additional talented players to actually field a winning team with Cano. Moves like this aren't what breed long-term success, and if you couple it by trading away prospects for David Price, we'll just be left with the same thing we've had the last couple of years: one or two good to great players and a ton of awful ones.

GCrow

Reaction score
10 years is a reeeeeeal long term (wouldn't give anyone other than Trout that, maybe Harper) but sometimes that's what you gotta do when your in the Mariners position to make a splash.

Be interesting to see what happens on the David Price front now.

EDIT: Not really in touch with the Mariners system, how close is Taijuan Walker from the majors? Read various reports saying he could crack opening day roster, to he should be up by all-star break or a September call-up? Later?

Subzero717

Reaction score
chris98251":jfoisp29 said:
Cartire":jfoisp29 said:

We have spent money here before, Jim McElvane, Benoit Benjiman, Adrián Beltré , Jeff Cirillo, Chone Figgins, Richie Sexson, Heathcliff Slocumb, Richie Zisk, Érik Bédard ,

Yeah that buying championships worked out real well here in both basketball and baseball.

You build and scout well, Oakland has done it for years, they just don't keep the talent, add a FA here and there to support your roster and go. Texas and the Angels have done well using that method as well, not wholesale FA buying to supplement a roster built in the farm system.

I agree with some of what your saying but you have to start somewhere. Seattle much like Oakland has been unable to keep their homegrown talent. Signing Cano is a signal that they are willing to change the culture and start producing. Throwing a bunch of first and second year players with Inbanez isn't a recipe for success. Cano is a whale. Mariners only have a legit shot of landing a whale once in a blue moon. I like this move. If they can now pull off a trade for Kemp and I would say we are in the conversation to win west.

silverss

Reaction score
Congrats to the M's! Outstanding pickup.

Already circled the M's game when they come into Toronto. Have to wait all the way till the 2nd last series! Sept. 22.

Go Jays!
:)

jkitsune

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":19p815nw said:
chris98251":19p815nw said:
Cartire":19p815nw said:

I agree with some of what your saying but you have to start somewhere. Seattle much like Oakland has been unable to keep their homegrown talent. Signing Cano is a signal that they are willing to change the culture and start producing. Throwing a bunch of first and second year players with Inbanez isn't a recipe for success. Cano is a whale. Mariners only have a legit shot of landing a whale once in a blue moon. I like this move. If they can now pull off a trade for Kemp and I would say we are in the conversation to win west.

Is it? Or is it a sign of the same culture that aches to throw its limited payroll at players irresponsibly in the hopes that a signing will somehow be transformative? I hope you're right, but after a decade of incompetence, I'm skeptical. This same FO is considering another Adam Jones-style trade for David Price.

chris98251

Reaction score
CALIHAWK1":jtmeylbu said:
chris98251":jtmeylbu said:
Cartire":jtmeylbu said:

I like it also, I was more responding to whole sale buying of talent of Cartire in buying championships like the Marlins did and Yankees have a history of doing, yet that has not worked so well lately. You need a touch of Midas to merge and manage high ego and priced talent, Steinbrenner had it, current staff in NY does not.

Piece work additions to supplement our talent has always been a good strat. You now need to add another to supplement him so he can be effective in the line up and not pitched around. They have the rest of the talent on the roster to get on and play on base baseball. Just had nobody to bring them in, or nobody to one swing win games other then Ibanez really.

Subzero717

Reaction score
jkitsune":1eqob5js said:
CALIHAWK1":1eqob5js said:
chris98251":1eqob5js said:
Cartire":1eqob5js said:

Is it? Or is it a sign of the same culture that aches to throw its limited payroll at players irresponsibly in the hopes that a signing will somehow be transformative? I hope you're right, but after a decade of incompetence, I'm skeptical. This same FO is considering another Adam Jones-style trade for David Price.

I think it is. Of the mentioned FAs the Ms have landed in the past only Beltre would I consider to be in this range. Chone Figgins wasn't going to change anything.

What is the alternative? Do what we've been doing for 4 years? Not develop young talent, sign way past prime vets and hope for the best?

scifly

Reaction score
I thought The Albert Pujols deal was horrible. But this..

akscoundrel

Reaction score
m0ng0":14oi0kp0 said:
WOW ! I gotta say I am kinda liking where things are going :D

Yes, spending an obnoxious amount of money on a dude who's best years are behind him, and was just looking to cash out on retirement is a real positive change....

At best, we are looking at a few *decent* years of production, a few years where he doesnt have much left, and a few years ot just being a useless ball and chain to this organization. Lets also keep pretending he didnt benefit from yankee stadiums short right porch, or that the ball doesnt travel exceedingly well in safeco.

I understand the mentality of trying to turn things around, but this was a terrible deal. 10 years to a 31 year old? Lmfao.

want to know the change I want to see? Developing players, and actually keeping them when them become really good!

Latest posts