Sounders Season Thread ***YEDLIN SOLD***

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
  • I wonder if the Sounders are considering making a push for Didier Drogba. They have good amount of money now. Drogba did say that he would consider coming to the MLS. If Oba leaves, could be a possibility. I believe Drogba is playing for Galatasaray. Could the Sounders buy his contract from them? Do they have enough money for that?
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• Looks like the Oba to Rizespor deal has fallen through. Oba only wanted an 8 game loan, Rizespor wanted a full transfer.....its reported they also couldn't pay the transfer fee we required.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• I don't think there was ever anything to the Oba/turkey rumors.

West Ham on the other hand... Looks like a forgone conclusion.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

• knownone wrote:I don't think there was ever anything to the Oba/turkey rumors.

West Ham on the other hand... Looks like a forgone conclusion.

Yeah, West Ham I always thought was more likely if it was a loan situation...but when it looked like a sale I thought there was something too the Turkey rumor.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Mario Martinez tweeted today that today has come one step closer to returning to Seattle.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Erik Friberg will be in Seattle over the weekend. Not sure if just visiting former teammates or if this is a trip about his future.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• I have no idea what to make of the upcoming season.

After the playoffs, I finally joined the Sigi out camp, and wanted EJ to stay. That said, I completely understand why it went the opposite way, and have enough faith in Hanaeur that it will be the right move.

I'm still not sure what to make of the back line, but the home stretch of last season did not inspire any confidence.
    Super Bowl Champions

Conference Champions
    2005, 2013

Division Champions
    1988, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2013

"Hell no! I wanna go get my rang!"
    Seahawks1983
    NET Starter

• Sounders have reportedly offered HomeGrown Player contracts to Academy players: FWD Sean Okoli, FWD Darwin Jones and Def/Mid Aaron Kovar.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Lamar Neagle was re-signed today.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Marcus Hahnemann has been re-signed.

Sounders also signed HomeGrown Players Aaron Kovar and Sean Okoli.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Rumor: In a cap space move it looks like the Sounders are sending Jhon Kennedy Hurtado and Patrick Ianni to Chicago for Right Back Jalil Anibaba. Hurtado and Ianni make $340,000 between the two of them.

It is also rumored that the Sounders are signing Mid Fielder, and former Chicago Fire man Marco Pappa.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Official:

Sounders trade CB's Patrick Ianni and Jhon Kennedy Hurtado along with their 13th selection in the Superdraft for RB/CB Janil Anibaba, The 8th selection in the Superdraft and a conditional pick.

Great trade.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Any trade that removes those two liabilities from the pitch for Seattle is going to get a thumbs up from me.
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Anibaba is a natural CB from what I read so I am looking forward to watching if our two young defenders at CB and RB can create a dynamic force that we have been missing.
    I am a firm believer in luck, and I found that the harder I work the more I have of it.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

• SeatownJay wrote:Any trade that removes those two liabilities from the pitch for Seattle is going to get a thumbs up from me.

I knew you'd be happy with the move Jay!

lol

Seems like a good move to me.

Anibaba pairs better with Marshall than the others we have. We now have a quick, physical, athletic CB who can pair with our two more tenured field veteran type players (Marshall and Traore).

Also saves cap room so we can go get a Mario Martinez, a Marco Pappa, a Steffan Haggen....or maybe all three (I would be in dream land).
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• MN soccer star (and former Mn Thunder Academy player, and opponent of yours truly's team on several occassions) Eric Miller drafted #5 by Montreal
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

• Love the Hurtado trade! Has Traore been released yet?
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Rookie

• Seattle took two CB's today in Damion Lowe and Jimmy Ockford.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Love the Hurtado trade! Has Traore been released yet?

Nope, Don't see it happening either.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• From today's (1/21/14) drafting...

"Sounders FC selected forward/midfielder Stefano Rijssel of Trinidadian club W Connection FC with the No. 55 overall pick in the third round and midfielder Fabio Pereira from the University of Michigan with the No. 77 pick."

Sounders FC assistant coach and scout, Kurt Schmid:

“Stefano is a young player that Ezra Hendrickson scouted at the Caribbean combine and we all saw at the MLS Combine. He showed good tactical sense as well as physical qualities. He can play wide in midfield but also has some versatility.”

“Fabio has done well throughout his college career. He’s a player we had a chance to work with closely at our Las Vegas combine as well. We like his soccer IQ and technical ability. Fabio can play all over midfield and has a good engine. Both players have the ability to compete for a spot on our roster.”

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/soundersf ... uperdraft/
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

Re: Sounders Offseason News -
Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:50 pm
  • 19 year-old Panamanian Omar Browne to trial with the Sounders.

"19 year-old left-footed striker and attacking midfielder Omar "Cito" Browne will go on trial with the Sounders, presumably during Seattle's pre-season training in the hopes of earning a spot on the roster."

http://www.sounderatheart.com/sounders- ... s-trialist
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:34 pm
  • Here is to hoping that Omar Browne is a diamond in the rough!
    Dren
    NET Bench Warmer

Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:27 pm
  • We knew this day was coming but now it's arrived.... Fredy Montero is officially off the Sounders. Sport Lisbon has officially acquired him from his loan (the estimate is $4.5M). Sounders' loss is SL's gain. Good Luck Fredy! Thank you for all your efforts as a Sounder!
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:41 pm
  • Meh, he was never coming back.
    I am a firm believer in luck, and I found that the harder I work the more I have of it.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:23 pm
  • Marco Pappa has been acquired via allocation.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

• Drogba to Seattle at the end of the Euro season?

https://twitter.com/TFootballFamily/sta ... 2585555969

It's a rumor for now, but supposedly this has been a reliable source in the past.

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• razgriz737 wrote:Drogba to Seattle at the end of the Euro season?

https://twitter.com/TFootballFamily/sta ... 2585555969

It's a rumor for now, but supposedly this has been a reliable source in the past.

This would be cool. Drogba is up there in age (per Soccer years) but for a couple of years at minimum may be great value. I had a feeling that they were going to target Drogba as there is a void up front but that was before Martins decided he was coming back. Once he was coming back and they went out and got Cooper. I thought Drogba would be a longshot. Drogba, Pappa, Dempsey, and Martins....screw rebuilding. That's a formidable Midfield/attack.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• I wouldn't put much hope in that Drogba rumor...

Seems every 5 months hes linked to an MLS club.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Keeping up with preseason games for the Sounders - Martins had two goals in the first game and it sounds as though Dylan Remick has been playing well at right defender.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• hawkfan68 wrote:Keeping up with preseason games for the Sounders - Martins had two goals in the first game and it sounds as though Dylan Remick has been playing well at right defender.

Where have they been playing Yedlin?
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

• CurryStopstheRuns wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:Keeping up with preseason games for the Sounders - Martins had two goals in the first game and it sounds as though Dylan Remick has been playing well at right defender.

Where have they been playing Yedlin?

If I'm not mistaken, Yedlin is with USNMT along with Evans. So I don't believe he was playing in the first two preseason games. IMO, when Yedlin is back I wouldn't mind seeing him play more midfield...where his skills are best utilized. His talent is wasted at defender. He's not that great as a defender which contributed to the piss poor defense last season. Just my take.
    Last edited by hawkfan68 on Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• The Sounders are pretty full at midfield, no? If Remick improves our defense then I would love to have him start. How has the new CB looked?
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

• CurryStopstheRuns wrote:The Sounders are pretty full at midfield, no? If Remick improves our defense then I would love to have him start. How has the new CB looked?

They looked ok. It was Remick who really stood out the most so far. You're correct there is a glutton of MFs on the team. Why they centered on the position in the offseason, who knows. Yedlin is better than Rose, Caskey, and Joseph but most likely the Sounders will keep Yedlin at right back.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• hawkfan68 wrote:
    CurryStopstheRuns wrote:The Sounders are pretty full at midfield, no? If Remick improves our defense then I would love to have him start. How has the new CB looked?

They looked ok. It was Remick who really stood out the most so far. You're correct there is a glutton of MFs on the team. Why they centered on the position in the offseason, who knows. Yedlin is better than Rose, Caskey, and Joseph but most likely the Sounders will keep Yedlin at right back.

Playing Yedlin anywhere but RB is a disservice to his future. He has potential European talent if they keep him at RB.

Remick should push Leo for time at LB. There is a reason they didn't squirm when Burch left, or really try to get a replacement. They knew what they had in Remick...he was the lone bright spot in that drubbing we took to Colorado last season. After he came on there was a reason to watch.

The addition of Marco Pappa makes it easier for us to run a lopsided Diamond formation.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Arsenal has loaned a reserve player to the Rapids. City can loan up to 4 to the new NYCFC...

Interesting developments and I believe good for the league
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

• Brad Evans: It was time to reboot lockerroom
    http://www.sounderatheart.com/2014/2/12 ... lockerroom

Good little article about the chemistry of the team now after the mini-rebuild. Lots of quotes from Evans.

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• Hmmm...I wonder who would lose their DP spot should they come to terms with Drogba. Alonso, Dempsey, and Martins are DP. Since Martins is a DP/I, I would think something would have to be done with him. Which is too bad because I think he would be productive in a full season. If he can stay healthy. Hopefully we get to see that.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• OH MY GAWD LET THESE DROGBA RUMORS STOP.

He's a decent player....but I really don't want him anywhere near this squad. Getting him seems unnecessary. It also makes setting the roster more difficult.

Do we have to buy down Ozzie to make Drogba a DP? Do we have to move Oba? When does he arrive. How does he effect the chemistry?
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Why am I beginning to feel like getting Drogba would make us the New York Yankees of MLS?
    Kennedyin92
    NET Rookie

• Yeah, I'm on the fence about this myself. Just thought I'd post them because it's interesting.

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• Also you all have probably already seen this but we dropped a few trialists.

http://www.sounderatheart.com/2014/2/19 ... son-roster

...Will Bates had been waived and that trialists Danny O'Rourke, Miguel Gonzalez, John McCarthy and Omar Browne were all dismissed from training camp.

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• I'm totally in favor of the Sounders improving and actually making a deep run in the playoffs, but I don't think Drogba gets us there.
    Kennedyin92
    NET Rookie

• Yeah, and didn't we recently get a nice chunk of change from Montero leaving? Gotta imagine we're gonna spend that, be it on Drogba or someone else.

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• razgriz737 wrote:Yeah, and didn't we recently get a nice chunk of change from Montero leaving? Gotta imagine we're gonna spend that, be it on Drogba or someone else.

Well, not quite. Part of the money goes to Deportivo Cali in Columbia (where we got Fredy). I've heard its about 1/3rd of what we got for him. I believe Millionairos gets a very small portion of it too for helping us out with the loan (I think its related to who pays his salary).

Then the MLS gets a portion (remember, THEY own all of the players and their rights are just distributed to the clubs...cause single entity).

Then the Sounders get theirs. So that number you have read (I've heard ranges $4-15million) isn't EXACTLY as it appears to be.

Then throw in some of that HAS to be going towards paying Clint Dempsey's ridiculous salary.

Things just don't add up for me equaling us going after Drogba. It'd be cool to have a big star like that...another one....but, it's not what I want. I want an MLS Cup Championship....and I don't think Drogba gets us there. I don't think EJ would get us there.

The MLS is not won by big stars. That puts buts in the seats. The MLS is won by cohesive teams. Look at the last 6 years of this league. Sporting Kansas City, LA Galaxy (2), Colorado Rapids, Real Salt Lake, and Columbus Crew are your Champions. Only the Galaxy are a team with a big list of names....but those names played for their city, for their teammates, and the crest on the jersey. If you go back and watch those championship games you will see how hard David Beckham and Landon Donovan are working off the ball on defense. They ran their asses off for the cause. Because their team needed them too. Thats why they won. Then were a strong TEAM and worked for one another.

As much as I love my Sounders I haven't seen that recently...and then the reports of a bad locker room started appearing. Its not a coincidence we haven't been able to win one. There has been a problem. Some say its at the top with Sigi...and who knows, they could be right. But I think there is more too it than that. I don't think those boys were truly playing for each other, and haven't been since 2011.

That changes this season.

Though on paper we appear to be a less talented team, I think we will be a stronger team, a more mentally tough team, and a deep team.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Smurf wrote:
    razgriz737 wrote:Yeah, and didn't we recently get a nice chunk of change from Montero leaving? Gotta imagine we're gonna spend that, be it on Drogba or someone else.

Well, not quite. Part of the money goes to Deportivo Cali in Columbia (where we got Fredy). I've heard its about 1/3rd of what we got for him. I believe Millionairos gets a very small portion of it too for helping us out with the loan (I think its related to who pays his salary).

Then the MLS gets a portion (remember, THEY own all of the players and their rights are just distributed to the clubs...cause single entity).

Then the Sounders get theirs. So that number you have read (I've heard ranges $4-15million) isn't EXACTLY as it appears to be.

Then throw in some of that HAS to be going towards paying Clint Dempsey's ridiculous salary.

Things just don't add up for me equaling us going after Drogba. It'd be cool to have a big star like that...another one....but, it's not what I want. I want an MLS Cup Championship....and I don't think Drogba gets us there. I don't think EJ would get us there.

The MLS is not won by big stars. That puts buts in the seats. The MLS is won by cohesive teams. Look at the last 6 years of this league. Sporting Kansas City, LA Galaxy (2), Colorado Rapids, Real Salt Lake, and Columbus Crew are your Champions. Only the Galaxy are a team with a big list of names....but those names played for their city, for their teammates, and the crest on the jersey. If you go back and watch those championship games you will see how hard David Beckham and Landon Donovan are working off the ball on defense. They ran their asses off for the cause. Because their team needed them too. Thats why they won. Then were a strong TEAM and worked for one another.

As much as I love my Sounders I haven't seen that recently...and then the reports of a bad locker room started appearing. Its not a coincidence we haven't been able to win one. There has been a problem. Some say its at the top with Sigi...and who knows, they could be right. But I think there is more too it than that. I don't think those boys were truly playing for each other, and haven't been since 2011.

That changes this season.

Though on paper we appear to be a less talented team, I think we will be a stronger team, a more mentally tough team, and a deep team.

Smurf, great post. I can't disagree with anything you said. Chemistry is extremely important. It was severely lacking on the pitch last season and there were players on the team that were in it for themselves. Those guys are gone. Trying to bring in top internationals haven't really panned out for them - Ljungberg, Nkufo, Johnson, etc really didn't pan out in bringing championships to Seattle. Lot of these guys are interested in invididual success vs. team success. Hopefully that mindset has changed with the current team. I'd like to get back to how they played in their first 3 seasons. That was an emerging top team. For the most part, they played well together those years.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• Ah, thanks for clearing that up Smurf about the Montero money.

I wholeheartedly agree with everything in the rest of your post as well, especially the last bit. Everything we are hearing thus far from the players is that the lockeroom appears to be a better environment, so hopefully that's a good sign.

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• What's with the Drogba hate?

The man is synonymous with work ethic. 8 goals in 11 appearances in the Chinese Super League, while not getting all of his wages.

He fills a role that doesn't require a great deal of chemistry to succeed right away. His game is built on ferocious strength, accuracy and savvy with both feet, great touch and he's an absolute menace in the air. Honestly, if the he joins MLS.. he is the best forward in MLS.

For those wondering how we'd fit him in, Trade Cooper for a modest amount of AM, buy down Ozzie and viola enter the best attacking side in MLS history.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:05 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information