Seahawks.NET AMAZON STOREFRONT

Sounders Season Thread ***YEDLIN SOLD***

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. LANGUAGE RATING: PG-13
  • hawkfan68 wrote:
    dumbrabbit wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:
    Seahawks1983 wrote:The away goals rule has made the MLS playoffs so much better. Like someone said above, they used to all be bunkerfests, and now they aren't. Much more enjoyable.


    I disagree. It made the ending of this game quite boring. The Sounders were content to play for a 0-0 draw instead of going for the win. They played "not to lose" rather than " to win", IMO..


    Did you even watch the game? They created plenty of chances and you could really tell that they wanted to win that game. Both Dallas and Seattle had good chances.


    Yes I did. They did play to win most of the game. It's just the way they played in the final few minutes that didn't suit me. Sorry that I wasn't clear enough. If the situation was reversed and the Sounders were to lose because of the away goals rule, there would a few more complaints about that rule on here. I'm not a Dallas FC fan, I'm a Sounder fan and I would have like to see extra time added to have the game decided the proper way. The Sounders won so that's what matters in the end.

    That's not the proper way though. As I said in my previous post, the away goals rule is used in major tournaments the world over. This was the proper way.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???


    2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    2015 Adopt-a-rookie: Kristjan Sokoli
    User avatar
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2020
    Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:12 pm
    Location: Spokane/Seattle


  • razgriz737 wrote:That's not the proper way though. As I said in my previous post, the away goals rule is used in major tournaments the world over. This was the proper way.


    I'm voicing my opinion only....In my opinion it's not. I don't like that rule. There is no need for a rule like that when you have 7-10 days between matches. I don't like copying everything because it's done everywhere else - they're not playing in Europe. MLS is not like UEFA, etc nor should it be. You disagree with my opinion. That's fine. I respect your opinion. It's all good. Go Sounders.

    It seems Sepp Blatter may not be too fond of the rule either -
    http://www.soccernews.com/blatter-wants-away-goals-rule-reviewed/156887/
    User avatar
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7114
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:10 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • Fair enough. Sorry if it sounded like I was jumping down your throat, that was not my intention at all.

    Go Sounders.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???


    2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    2015 Adopt-a-rookie: Kristjan Sokoli
    User avatar
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2020
    Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:12 pm
    Location: Spokane/Seattle



  • razgriz737 wrote:Fair enough. Sorry if it sounded like I was jumping down your throat, that was not my intention at all.

    Go Sounders.


    No apologies necessary. We're just having a discussion and differing points of view. You're right the away goals is the proper rule and it's used in majority of the leagues around the world. In that sense it is the right way.
    User avatar
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7114
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:10 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • CurryStopstheRuns wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:It seems Sepp Blatter may not be too fond of the rule either -
    http://www.soccernews.com/blatter-wants-away-goals-rule-reviewed/156887/


    Except Blatter is saying that the away goal rule favors the team that travels last. In that case the rule would have favored Dallas.


    I agree with him. It does favor the second leg away team. Dallas didn't capitalize on that advantage. I still believe that they could have played extra time and then used the away goals rule should it still be tied. That would have made more sense. It's not like the players don't have enough time to recover before the next game. If that's the issue to use this rule in the first place. That's where I'm coming from. Why did they decide to use the rule is what I'm questioning. What spurred this? Just because everyoone else does it, is that the only reason?
    User avatar
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7114
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:10 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • hawkfan68 wrote:
    CurryStopstheRuns wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:It seems Sepp Blatter may not be too fond of the rule either -
    http://www.soccernews.com/blatter-wants-away-goals-rule-reviewed/156887/


    Except Blatter is saying that the away goal rule favors the team that travels last. In that case the rule would have favored Dallas.


    I agree with him. It does favor the second leg away team. Dallas didn't capitalize on that advantage. I still believe that they could have played extra time and then used the away goals rule should it still be tied. That would have made more sense. It's not like the players don't have enough time to recover before the next game. If that's the issue to use this rule in the first place. That's where I'm coming from. Why did they decide to use the rule is what I'm questioning. What spurred this? Just because everyoone else does it, is that the only reason?



    We all now Blatter's word should be the final in any conversation....

    Id suggest it is to mimic the other major tournaments that use it, or, to be fair, Champions league is the only major tournament in which it has any major, noticeable impact. And thats only in the final 16. Some League Cups (La Liga's, PL's Cap One) use it in the semis.

    My point was that I dont feel the quality of the MLS is such that the away goal rule needs to be implemented. However, the extra time rule also gives the second leg home team a 30 minute longer advantage. Many league tournaments do not count away goals (Cap One cup for example) in extra time as having more weight. Preferably, there should be no extra time in home and homes as

    Point is, there are options. The MLS made their decision, so be it. I'm with you, I really didnt see any noticeable opening up of tournament play due to the new rules. if anything, Dallas, for example, was quite shy at home. This had less to do with tactics and more to do with just not being good. it will be interesting to see how it plays out in the semis.

    the next fixtures should lend a better perspective. LA is a better team than Seattle. They've got more talent, balance and are coached better. (this cant be a shock to anyone on here). It will be interesting then to see how Seattle goes about it. Their last match at LA may be the template (sit, wait, counter). if it opens the other way, Seattle needs to be wary of conceding an away goal to a dangerous, attacking team. This tie will make the away goal rule far more interesting.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13137
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • "Sounders FC 2 Names Ezra Hendrickson First Head Coach in Team History"

    http://www.soundersfc.com/post/2014/11/ ... am-history

    Seattle Sounders FC today announced that Ezra Hendrickson has been named the first Head Coach of Sounders FC 2, the club’s USL PRO team. Hendrickson has spent the last six seasons as a Sounders FC Assistant Coach and Reserve League Head Coach following a 14-year professional playing career.

    “After six years of experience with the organization, Ezra has earned the respect of the players and has gotten to know our Academy very well,” said S2 General Manager Andrew Opatkiewicz. “His years with the First Team will prove to be a huge asset as we look to develop a team that gives players valuable minutes in a professional environment.”

    An NCAA All-American and business administration major at Drake University in Iowa, Hendrickson first played professionally with New Orleans of the USISL Select League (1995-96). A native of the island of St. Vincent in the Caribbean, Hendrickson earned his first international cap in 1995 and served 12 years as captain of the St. Vincent and the Grenadines national team.


    Image
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???


    2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    2015 Adopt-a-rookie: Kristjan Sokoli
    User avatar
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2020
    Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:12 pm
    Location: Spokane/Seattle


  • Congrats to Ezra H. Surprised they passed over Brian Schmetzer but maybe they have bigger plans for him. Brian is a good coach, I'd like to see the Sounders offer him the head coaching gig post-Sigi (whenever that happens), hopefully they don't lose Brian before then.
    User avatar
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7114
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:10 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • hawkfan68 wrote:Congrats to Ezra H. Surprised they passed over Brian Schmetzer but maybe they have bigger plans for him. Brian is a good coach, I'd like to see the Sounders offer him the head coaching gig post-Sigi (whenever that happens), hopefully they don't lose Brian before then.



    Schmetzer is waiting for an MLS gig to open up. He is content being second in command of SSFC while this happens. He has had interviews each offseason with clubs waiting for the right opportunity.

    When Sigi leaves/retires I would think Schmetzer would be our new manager.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4990
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • Uncle Si wrote:
    the next fixtures should lend a better perspective. LA is a better team than Seattle. They've got more talent, balance and are coached better. (this cant be a shock to anyone on here). It will be interesting then to see how Seattle goes about it. Their last match at LA may be the template (sit, wait, counter). if it opens the other way, Seattle needs to be wary of conceding an away goal to a dangerous, attacking team. This tie will make the away goal rule far more interesting.




    Better coached. Probably (history has proven).

    Better balance. Absolutely. Our brand of soccer is one to entertain and attack. We are an attacking team. Hell, we have people upset because we chose to bunker the final 3 minutes of a match of a series we were already going to win if the scores stayed the same.

    More Talented.....Disagree. I think you run down the list of players and our team is equally talented, if not more so.


    Right now we are the better team. Standings prove it. We proved it twice in the final 2 games of the regular season. We just have to do it twice more. I am confident that we will. It will be hard, all games against top sides are....but we are the better team right now. Maybe not historically. But right now, we are better. We have two pieces of silverware to prove it, and are looking to be the first club in MLS to win the Treble.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4990
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • Im not saying Seattle is the underdog here. Tactics will play a major role in how this tie plays out. but that last game of the season LA was by far the dominant team, just couldnt make their chances count. The Sounders first goal in the 85th minute was their first shot on frame. Its not historical. It may be one of those things that Seattle is set up to beat LA, even if they are not as talented

    For my money LA looks the better side. Results may play out differently. They are stronger across the board at each level of play. Maybe not position to position, but from the back to mid to attack (mid may be a wash).

    If the Sounders are going to prevail they will need to hit on their counters. they cannot be as wasteful as they were with Dallas

    quick activity (i do this when evaluating my teams against opponents)... if you put the two rosters together and ranked 1-5, how does it go? is Dempsey 1? or maybe Gonzalez?
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13137
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • If they can beat LA the last two games, then I have no doubt that they can win again. They already know LA's tactics.

    If there's one area of concern it's Seattle's defenders. They didn't allow a score but I think they allowed too many opportunities. Key to advancing to the championship is limiting LA's shot creation IMO
    dumbrabbit
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 820
    Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:52 pm


  • dumbrabbit wrote:If they can beat LA the last two games, then I have no doubt that they can win again. They already know LA's tactics.

    If there's one area of concern it's Seattle's defenders. They didn't allow a score but I think they allowed too many opportunities. Key to advancing to the championship is limiting LA's shot creation IMO


    absolutely... when you permit the opposing team possession and do not force their time on the ball until it comes into the middle third, you have to win it or force it to support before they can move their pieces into strong attacking positions (this is basically the blue print on beating Barcelona from 2012-present, not that LA is anywhere near that level or that similar in tactics).

    Seattle seemed set on allowing LA to move forward, slowly, condenscing the field and hoping to hit on the counter. Which they did. But if they give as many opportunities to LA again, I'm not so sure it wont bite them. I'd like to see the Sounders press a little higher up the field, limit Donovan and Keane's touches on the ball in their attacking 3rd.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13137
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • I see where you're coming from, but I really disagree with your based on from each group LA being a more talented team. I'll give you the backline, but mid and fwd are at least a wash, if not better. Thats an argument.


    For me, if you rank the players on both rosters.

    1. Marshall
    2. Martins
    3. Keane
    4. Dempsey
    5. Gonzalez
    6. Alonso
    7. Donovan
    8. Juninho
    9. Zardes
    10. Pineda


    Honestly Chad Marshall has got to be the front runner for Defender of the year. Martins and Keane are interchangeable. The MVP race is between those two and Lee Nguyen. The top 3 are definitely Marshall, Keane and Martins. Order is up for debate. Everyone else kind of falls in after them. All of this, of course, is based on their play this season.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4990
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • Smurf wrote:I see where you're coming from, but I really disagree with your based on from each group LA being a more talented team. I'll give you the backline, but mid and fwd are at least a wash, if not better. Thats an argument.


    For me, if you rank the players on both rosters.

    1. Marshall
    2. Martins
    3. Keane
    4. Dempsey
    5. Gonzalez
    6. Alonso
    7. Donovan
    8. Juninho
    9. Zardes
    10. Pineda


    Honestly Chad Marshall has got to be the front runner for Defender of the year. Martins and Keane are interchangeable. The MVP race is between those two and Lee Nguyen. The top 3 are definitely Marshall, Keane and Martins. Order is up for debate. Everyone else kind of falls in after them. All of this, of course, is based on their play this season.


    Interesting list, and no Yedlin, which suprises me. I wouldnt have brought Marshall into the top 5 (and I'm a defender by trade) and probably had Gonzales at the top. Either way, its an enjoyable exercise when comparing teams (and in the end, means f--- all.)

    Im not suggesting the two sides are far apart. I feel LA's backline is a step above in organization, consistency and talent. But... they dont have a player like Yedlin (and from what I've watched, which admittedly isnt a ton, dont feel comfortable allowing their backs to join the attack. But honestly, Sigi really hamstrings Yedlin as well in my opinion).

    I can agree on a wash in the middle and attack. I think both groups lean a bit more to LA, but maybe its more on the experience those players bring (especially in midfield). I feel like Seattle's midfield 4 is set up to defend more than play both ways. in the games I've watched of late they sit further back than i'd like and tend to leave Martins and Dempsey isolated (which isnt bad, both are proven internationals and goal scorers). but over the course of two ties, Seattle will need their midfielders to help support the attack with more consistency than I saw against Dallas. And maybe this is why i give the edge to LA, i just like their setup/balance better.

    Again, though, the matchups are significant. the Sounders may be LA's cryptonite (like how Atletico is Barca's). Will be an interesting tie.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13137
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Smurf wrote:I see where you're coming from, but I really disagree with your based on from each group LA being a more talented team. I'll give you the backline, but mid and fwd are at least a wash, if not better. Thats an argument.


    For me, if you rank the players on both rosters.

    1. Marshall
    2. Martins
    3. Keane
    4. Dempsey
    5. Gonzalez
    6. Alonso
    7. Donovan
    8. Juninho
    9. Zardes
    10. Pineda


    Honestly Chad Marshall has got to be the front runner for Defender of the year. Martins and Keane are interchangeable. The MVP race is between those two and Lee Nguyen. The top 3 are definitely Marshall, Keane and Martins. Order is up for debate. Everyone else kind of falls in after them. All of this, of course, is based on their play this season.


    Interesting list, and no Yedlin, which suprises me. I wouldnt have brought Marshall into the top 5 (and I'm a defender by trade) and probably had Gonzales at the top. Either way, its an enjoyable exercise when comparing teams (and in the end, means f--- all.)

    Im not suggesting the two sides are far apart. I feel LA's backline is a step above in organization, consistency and talent. But... they dont have a player like Yedlin (and from what I've watched, which admittedly isnt a ton, dont feel comfortable allowing their backs to join the attack. But honestly, Sigi really hamstrings Yedlin as well in my opinion).

    I can agree on a wash in the middle and attack. I think both groups lean a bit more to LA, but maybe its more on the experience those players bring (especially in midfield). I feel like Seattle's midfield 4 is set up to defend more than play both ways. in the games I've watched of late they sit further back than i'd like and tend to leave Martins and Dempsey isolated (which isnt bad, both are proven internationals and goal scorers). but over the course of two ties, Seattle will need their midfielders to help support the attack with more consistency than I saw against Dallas. And maybe this is why i give the edge to LA, i just like their setup/balance better.

    Again, though, the matchups are significant. the Sounders may be LA's cryptonite (like how Atletico is Barca's). Will be an interesting tie.


    Holy christ I completely forgot about Yedlin....


    I need to get more sleep...


    Also, this tie depends largely on the availability of Osvaldo Alonso. If he is out its going to be a very different game.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4990
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • Sounders-Galaxy matches don't start until Nov 23. Why such a long wait between matches? Hopefully, that time helps Alonso get back.

    Smurf, you also forgot Pappa on your list. I thought he was a key player this season as well. Started off slow but did a lot of good things as the season went on.
    User avatar
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7114
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:10 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • hawkfan68 wrote:Sounders-Galaxy matches don't start until Nov 23. Why such a long wait between matches? Hopefully, that time helps Alonso get back.

    Smurf, you also forgot Pappa on your list. I thought he was a key player this season as well. Started off slow but did a lot of good things as the season went on.



    MLS is actually acknowledging a FIFA designated international break. Thus the reason why there aren't any EPL games this weekend. Thats why there is a break.

    Good timing for us with the Alonso injury.


    As for Pappa, not really sure he is better than those 10. Maybe in the conversation, but there is merit to it.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4990
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • Pappa is better than Pineda.

    In other news, Seattle will have the 19th pick in the upcoming dispersal draft of former Chivas USA players.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    User avatar
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 10026
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:38 pm
    Location: Hagerstown, MD


  • SeatownJay wrote:Pappa is better than Pineda.

    In other news, Seattle will have the 19th pick in the upcoming dispersal draft of former Chivas USA players.



    Sounds great, until you realize that there are only twenty teams. This selection is the equivalent of the opportunity to select between a corn syrup Coke and a cane sugar Pepsi from Mexico.

    Edit: Olde English
    Last edited by CurryStopstheRuns on Sat Nov 15, 2014 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3092
    Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:52 pm


  • CurryStopstheRuns wrote:
    SeatownJay wrote:Pappa is better than Pineda.

    In other news, Seattle will have the 19th pick in the upcoming dispersal draft of former Chivas USA players.



    Sounds great, until you realize that there are only twenty teams. This selection is the equivalent of thee opportunity to select between a corn syrup Coke and a cane sugar Pepsi from Mexico.


    Looking at Chivas USA roster, there's not much to begin with. Erick Torres is probably the only one that could be promising but he'll be long gone before the Sounders pick.
    User avatar
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7114
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:10 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • hawkfan68 wrote:
    CurryStopstheRuns wrote:
    SeatownJay wrote:Pappa is better than Pineda.

    In other news, Seattle will have the 19th pick in the upcoming dispersal draft of former Chivas USA players.



    Sounds great, until you realize that there are only twenty teams. This selection is the equivalent of thee opportunity to select between a corn syrup Coke and a cane sugar Pepsi from Mexico.


    Looking at Chivas USA roster, there's not much to begin with. Erick Torres is probably the only one that could be promising but he'll be long gone before the Sounders pick.


    He is exempt from the distribution draft.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3092
    Joined: Mon Aug 31, 2009 6:52 pm


  • SeatownJay wrote:Pappa is better than Pineda.

    In other news, Seattle will have the 19th pick in the upcoming dispersal draft of former Chivas USA players.




    Apples and Oranges really. We are a better team with Pineda in the team, than out of it. Pappa, sometimes we are better, sometimes we aren't. Both good players. Happy both are sounders. Pineda i think is more important to the teams success.


    and nothing we want from Chivas. Only two players i'd consider really. Cubo Torres (exempt) and Dan Kennedy (top 2 pick).
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4990
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • Seattle loses the first leg 1-0. They'll have to win next weekend by two goals to advance to their first MLS Cup.
    THIS SPACE FOR RENT
    User avatar
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 10026
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:38 pm
    Location: Hagerstown, MD


  • Could be worse I suppose. Let's get it done. Unfortunately I'll be at the airport during next week's match...
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???


    2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    2015 Adopt-a-rookie: Kristjan Sokoli
    User avatar
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 2020
    Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:12 pm
    Location: Spokane/Seattle


  • SeatownJay wrote:Seattle loses the first leg 1-0. They'll have to win next weekend by two goals to advance to their first MLS Cup.




    Well...sort of.


    1-0 gets us to extra time, potentially penalties.

    2-0 Gets us a win

    3-1 gets a us a win.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4990
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • Huge improvement from the past.

    Didn't leak in 3-5 goals in leg one.....so I'm relatively happy. Still have everything to play for.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4990
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • Smurf wrote:Huge improvement from the past.

    Didn't leak in 3-5 goals in leg one.....so I'm relatively happy. Still have everything to play for.


    Huge improvement? in the sense LA missed their bevy of chances? Felt like Seattle was chasing the game all day (and only barely caught it at times). being down 1-0, not bad, but the performance was disappointing.

    The game went virtually the same as all the other games with LA, except this time LA finished and Seattle did not. the issue now is how does a team set up to break on the counter get goals against a team that is already up a goal. Will LA change their tact, maintain possession but not throw people forward? hard to say, but if Seattle cant coax LA into coming forward, I'm not sure how Seattle creates scoring chances.

    Despite it being a one goal advantage, the return leg is squarely in LA's pocket unless the Sounders can disrupt possession (high press Sigi? maybe just a bit?) and pin LA back.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13137
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • Uncle Si wrote:
    Smurf wrote:Huge improvement from the past.

    Didn't leak in 3-5 goals in leg one.....so I'm relatively happy. Still have everything to play for.


    Huge improvement? in the sense LA missed their bevy of chances? Felt like Seattle was chasing the game all day (and only barely caught it at times). being down 1-0, not bad, but the performance was disappointing.

    The game went virtually the same as all the other games with LA, except this time LA finished and Seattle did not. the issue now is how does a team set up to break on the counter get goals against a team that is already up a goal. Will LA change their tact, maintain possession but not throw people forward? hard to say, but if Seattle cant coax LA into coming forward, I'm not sure how Seattle creates scoring chances.

    Despite it being a one goal advantage, the return leg is squarely in LA's pocket unless the Sounders can disrupt possession (high press Sigi? maybe just a bit?) and pin LA back.




    I was referring to the sounders playoff history in First Leg's.....We arent down 3+goals after game 1. That is a huge improvement. We didn't play our best. We were barely decent. But when things don't go your way and you only concede one goal (via deflection), I guess I'll take it.

    Alonso will be back for the home leg and his ability gives us more chance to go forward. He covers the wide channels where Azira and Rose rarely do.

    Disappointed in Yedlin today. Picked good times to go forward, just was very sloppy with the ball....actually in general we werent very crisp going forward.

    I'm not too concerned about the home leg. I think we press, and we get our goal we need fairly early (20-30 min in) and that will force LA to come out of their shell a little bit more. I think Bruce knows that they need to get that away goal. Until LA gets an away goal its going to get very nervy for them.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4990
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • I knew what you were referring to (just found it an odd thing to take solace in).

    I will be interested to see what Arenas does. I dont see them going into a shell (why would a team that out possesses its opponents to such a degree suddenly go into a shell). What you may see, however, is less committed players in the attack as the possession builds, limiting any transition and counter breaks the Sounders get (and rely on when playing LA).

    Sigi will have to employ a heavy press, maybe not early, but at some point, and committ his wing backs to it. There are two very good CBs back there and they may be the key to whether Seattle advances.

    For me, given the way Seattle has played LA (despite the wins) I am very concerned. Seattle has always benefitted from catching LA with numbers up. That initiative is gone now.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13137
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • Chad Marshall has won the 2014 MLS Defender of the Year award.

    He is the first player to ever win the award 3 times.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4990
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • Smurf wrote:Chad Marshall has won the 2014 MLS Defender of the Year award.

    He is the first player to ever win the award 3 times.


    Nice. Well deserved.
    User avatar
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7114
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:10 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • I apologize for the knuckle-dragging level of my question here, but tonight may well be only the second or third Sounders game I've watched on TV. My understanding is that, since they lost 1-0 on the road, that 'winning' 1-0 at home would essentially mean a tie in the series, i.e., extra time/penalties? And they need to win by 2 to win outright?

    And that if they 'win' 2-1 they would actually lose due to away goals? Is that right?
    User avatar
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3340
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:12 pm


  • jkitsune wrote:I apologize for the knuckle-dragging level of my question here, but tonight may well be only the second or third Sounders game I've watched on TV. My understanding is that, since they lost 1-0 on the road, that 'winning' 1-0 at home would essentially mean a tie in the series, i.e., extra time/penalties? And they need to win by 2 to win outright?

    And that if they 'win' 2-1 they would actually lose due to away goals? Is that right?


    $$$$$
    dumbrabbit
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 820
    Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:52 pm


  • MLS has the stupidest playoff format in the history of sports.
    User avatar
    253hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3105
    Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:36 am
    Location: PNW


  • This is why scoring in LA was important. You tie that game, and win this game.... Seattle would of got in the MLS Cup.
    korboko
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 153
    Joined: Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:24 pm


  • korboko wrote:This is why scoring in LA was important. You tie that game, and win this game.... Seattle would of got in the MLS Cup.


    Even losing 2-1 would've made winning 2-1 a tie with extra time.
    User avatar
    jkitsune
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3340
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 12:12 pm


  • How does it make sense that LA advances by winning 1 game, and the Sounders scored 2-1 in second game but lost? At least play OT!
    Last edited by kidhawk on Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Reason: Language
    dumbrabbit
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 820
    Joined: Sat Apr 13, 2013 3:52 pm


  • Somethingsomething hurfdurf away goals because they are magical like unicorn farts.
    User avatar
    253hawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 3105
    Joined: Fri Sep 13, 2013 1:36 am
    Location: PNW


  • Rules are rules. We benefited from the same rule against Dallas. It's used all over the world and encourages teams to attack. It sucks when losing on that rule but we needed that third goal, even at 2-0. Everyone player knew it. Thought we played well but LA's goal was a good finish. Great year regardless.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1207
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


  • This is a tough one to swallow. We we're the better team, and we fell just short.

    In the end, Donovan gets the send off he doesn't deserve and the Sounders once again find themselves on the outside looking in.

    It's been a fun year guys.
    knownone
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1283
    Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:10 pm


  • Question... How long have they used this current playoff format?

    I know they had a play-in game (1 game).

    Then a round with aggregate (2 games).

    Then a Conference Championship (1 game).

    Then an MLS Championship (1 game).

    Now it's 1 WC, 2 rounds of aggregate (with away goals worth more incase of a tie) and then a single MLS Championship game, right?
    "Go for Broke" - 442nd Japanese-American Battalion

    Shaun Alexander #37 for the HoF - 119 Games 2176 Att 9429 Yards 4.3 YPC 100 TDs (112 TDs total) 2005 MVP

    "YOU POST...TO WIN...thethread." JesterHawk
    User avatar
    sammyc521
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 4630
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 2:42 pm
    Location: Pacific Ocean


  • The Sounders just cannot seem to get past the Galaxy. Oh well, as the saying goes... "better luck next year" (bleh!) :x
    Hawksfanatik
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1092
    Joined: Mon Mar 05, 2007 3:23 pm
    Location: Everett, Washington


  • 253hawk wrote:MLS has the stupidest playoff format in the history of sports.

    I can't disagree with this.
    User avatar
    MizzouHawkGal
    .NET Protector of the Hotties
     
    Posts: 12403
    Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:46 pm
    Location: Kansas City, MO


  • sammyc521 wrote:Question... How long have they used this current playoff format?

    I know they had a play-in game (1 game).

    Then a round with aggregate (2 games).

    Then a Conference Championship (1 game).

    Then an MLS Championship (1 game).

    Now it's 1 WC, 2 rounds of aggregate (with away goals worth more incase of a tie) and then a single MLS Championship game, right?


    The play in game is relatively new, since 2011 I think.........and good news 2 more teams to be added to the already watered down format next year!

    I know the aggregate score bit us in the ass last night, but go anywhere in the world that has a round robin playoff type format (Champions League, etc), and aggregate goals are used with away goals counting for more. So while it sucks for us, I'm OK with that.

    BUT, I don't like this many teams in the playoffs, should be just the top two, or 4 at the most. None of this play in nonsense. I understand why Garber likes it, cause it makes for more teams in the hunt in September and October, and thus more fan interest. But IMO it cheapens an already shaky premise of soccer having playoffs.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12758
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


  • MizzouHawkGal wrote:
    253hawk wrote:MLS has the stupidest playoff format in the history of sports.

    I can't disagree with this.



    so does UEFA?

    come on... the playoff format is used by the worlds biggest annual soccer "tournament", and heartily enjoyed.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    * NET Hottie *
     
    Posts: 13137
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • Won the match, lost the series. Didn't like this method of tiebreaking from the beginning. Another season where Sounders championship hopes fell short.
    User avatar
    hawkfan68
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 7114
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:10 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • Uncle Si wrote:
    MizzouHawkGal wrote:
    253hawk wrote:MLS has the stupidest playoff format in the history of sports.

    I can't disagree with this.



    so does UEFA?

    come on... the playoff format is used by the worlds biggest annual soccer "tournament", and heartily enjoyed.

    I don't care it's a stupid method. Aggregate goal should mean just that no qualifiers. And if you're tied you go with an extra period and penalty kicks if needed.
    User avatar
    MizzouHawkGal
    .NET Protector of the Hotties
     
    Posts: 12403
    Joined: Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:46 pm
    Location: Kansas City, MO


  • MizzouHawkGal wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    MizzouHawkGal wrote:
    253hawk wrote:MLS has the stupidest playoff format in the history of sports.

    I can't disagree with this.



    so does UEFA?

    come on... the playoff format is used by the worlds biggest annual soccer "tournament", and heartily enjoyed.

    I don't care it's a stupid method. Aggregate goal should mean just that no qualifiers. And if you're tied you go with an extra period and penalty kicks if needed.


    I hate penalty kicks, it's by far the worst part of deciding soccer matches. IMO it's the same as a basketball game being decided by free throws.

    I'm just fine with aggregate for this sort of format. Two matches is plenty of minutes to score more goals than the other team.
    If there is no Seahawk football in heaven, then we will never die.
    User avatar
    Sgt. Largent
    NET Pro Bowler
     
    Posts: 12758
    Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:10 am


PreviousNext


It is currently Mon Aug 20, 2018 7:01 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: Crizilla and 31 guests