Sounders Season Thread ***YEDLIN SOLD***

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
  • Smurf wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    so Kenny Cooper for EJ?

I've lost interest in the MLS (again)

You're looking at it wrong....its not Cooper for EJ.

Its EJ and Mauro for Cooper, Bowen, #2 in allocation order and somewhere north of $700k in allocation money.

We have the pieces to bring in some good players with that.

with that much allocation money we can get a player like Alvaro Fernandez, or Christian Tiffert. Or a Mario Martinez. Buy a Herculez Gomez. We could pay for a player like Valeri, or Chara. We could use that money to buy down Alonso's contract below DP status.

We have the ability to bring in some good players.

We are far from done adding players.

As of this moment the sounders have a retread striker, a relatively unknown mid/defender and opportunity.... At a loss of a quality technical player and a usmnt striker... Am I looking at this wrong?

You give guesses...until those players are in its a massive digression
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

• Sounders select ST Chad Barrett (New England) and ST Corey Hertzog (Vancouver) in Stage-2 of the Re-Entry draft.

Seattle is collecting depth up front.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Uncle Si wrote:
    Smurf wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    so Kenny Cooper for EJ?

Its EJ and Mauro for Cooper, Bowen, #2 in allocation order and somewhere north of $700k in allocation money.

with that much allocation money we can get a player like Alvaro Fernandez, or Christian Tiffert. Or a Mario Martinez. Buy a Herculez Gomez. We could pay for a player like Valeri, or Chara. We could use that money to buy down Alonso's contract below DP status.

As of this moment the sounders have a retread striker, a relatively unknown mid/defender and opportunity.... At a loss of a quality technical player and a usmnt striker... Am I looking at this wrong?

The drop off from Cooper to EJ is a small one especially in MLS. AH made it clear that the sounders are far from finished. I'd expect us to move either ianni or hurtado maybe both and pick up a talented hopefully young WAM to fill our need for creativity.

Max allocation is worth more than EJ.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

• knownone wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Smurf wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    so Kenny Cooper for EJ?

The drop off from Cooper to EJ is a small one especially in MLS. AH made it clear that the sounders are far from finished. I'd expect us to move either ianni or hurtado maybe both and pick up a talented hopefully young WAM to fill our need for creativity.

Max allocation is worth more than EJ.

If you seriously think Kenny is a small dropoff from EJ, I've got waterfront property in Arizona to sell you.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• We will be able to have Cooper, Barrett, Hertzog and Bowen for the cost it would have taken to Keep EJ.

That said EJ is WAAAAAY better than Cooper...who is the best of that bunch mentioned above.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Any chance they spend the money on getting some new defenders so we never have to see Ianni, Hurtado, or Scott on the field in a Sounders uniform again?
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• SeatownJay wrote:Any chance they spend the money on getting some new defenders so we never have to see Ianni, Hurtado, or Scott on the field in a Sounders uniform again?

We already got Chad Marshall.

Expect more from Dylan Remick next year.

Minimal more signings along the backline I think.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• In the last 2 seasons, EJ-26 goals cooper-24.
    EJ may be the more talented, more dynamic player but in this league the drop off between the two isn't huge.
    Look at Wondo he's not in EJs class yet he's had way more production.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

• knownone wrote:In the last 2 seasons, EJ-26 goals cooper-24.
    EJ may be the more talented, more dynamic player but in this league the drop off between the two isn't huge.

2 less goals in 16 less appearances...

Just saying.

Cooper is hot and cold. He had 6 goals last year....18 before that. With EJ there is consistency...thats what most fans loved about EJ. He was consistently EJ. Its why people disliked Montero for large stretches...he was such a streaky striker....Cooper is just that. Hot for a bit, then cold. Consistency and on the ball skill is why he's not a national team player and why's only ever had 10 appearances for the nats team. I'm not sold on Cooper as a starting 11 player for this team. A role player...perhaps. But he is not a player I want in my 11 week in and week out.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Smurf wrote:
    knownone wrote:In the last 2 seasons, EJ-26 goals cooper-24.

Just saying.

Cooper is hot and cold. He had 6 goals last year....18 before that. With EJ there is consistency...thats what most fans loved about EJ. He was consistently EJ. Its why people disliked Montero for large stretches...he was such a streaky striker....Cooper is just that. Hot for a bit, then cold. Consistency and on the ball skill is why he's not a national team player and why's only ever had 10 appearances for the nats team. I'm not sold on Cooper as a starting 11 player for this team. A role player...perhaps. But he is not a player I want in my 11 week in and week out.

its not just that.. Montero and EJ are dynamic players (Montero far moreso) who bring more than just goals to the team. Montero's development in Portugal has been amazing to watch. But both can occupy defenders, make runs into space, distribute from hold up play, etc.

Cooper is your typical pre-Klinsmann American striker. Back to goal, stands there alone, tries to control and turn. He was the opt out when Altidore couldnt figure it out. He offers nothing in terms of distribution. He doesnt run behind the defenders to open up space for other players. He is limited in what he can offer, and therefore limits the team around him in terms of system and philosophy of play.

If you're down a goal and want to bang in long balls to dirty into an equalizer... on comes Cooper. If you want to play an appealing, pass and move system with Dempsey moving around underneath Copper is more of centerback for the opposing team than a partner for Clint.

I dont know what the allocation money brings in.. until the Sounders invest that in some dynamic players (now they need atleast a winger and another striker) then this move just sucks.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

• Sarlacc83 wrote:If you seriously think Kenny is a small dropoff from EJ, I've got waterfront property in Arizona to sell you.

Pssst, you're doing it wrong, there's actually lots of waterfront property in Arizona.
    Marshawn Lynch wrote:yeah
    Chapow
    NET Veteran

• Chapow wrote:
    Sarlacc83 wrote:If you seriously think Kenny is a small dropoff from EJ, I've got waterfront property in Arizona to sell you.

Pssst, you're doing it wrong, there's actually lots of waterfront property in Arizona.

*whispers* I know. It doesn't work if the ruse is obvious.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Smurf wrote:

Just saying.

I disagree about consistency. Dallas miscast Cooper playing him primarily out wide and he struggled. EJ was on a better team and got a majority of his goals off great service. How many goals does he have without Mauro?
    Sigi wants a #9 who can stay high and receive the ball at his feet and maintain possession, that's exactly what Cooper did with New York where he scored 18 goals. He's capable of playing every position up top so he can easily combine and interchange with Oba and Deuce. Who do you think would be a better fit in the Diamond?
    knownone
    NET Veteran

• knownone wrote:
    Smurf wrote:

Just saying.

I disagree about consistency. Dallas miscast Cooper playing him primarily out wide and he struggled. EJ was on a better team and got a majority of his goals off great service. How many goals does he have without Mauro?
    Sigi wants a #9 who can stay high and receive the ball at his feet and maintain possession, that's exactly what Cooper did with New York where he scored 18 goals. He's capable of playing every position up top so he can easily combine and interchange with Oba and Deuce. Who do you think would be a better fit in the Diamond?

18 goals with Tierry Henry collapsing defenses around him....

Cooper is not an interchangeable player (most true #9s arent). He is not going to slide down into the CAM role and recieve, take on defenders and distribute (I mean he may "do it" but it wont be effective) its fine to think that Cooper isnt a major downgrade from EJ. Its debatable (I just disagree).

However you shake it, you now have paired a +30 year old CAM/Winger with a 29 year old back to goal striker and have done nothing to add speed to the wings.

if Sigi does want to play a hybrid 433 (whether a 4231/4213 or 4411) Cooper offers little in moving defenses.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

• Dempsey is going on Loan to Fulham for January and February.

This will help the sounders cap situation as Fulham will pay his wages during that span.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Rumors have surfaced again that Oba Martins is on his way to Turkey to join Rizespor. I doubt it, but its a rumor thats out there....
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• I heard there is a big friendly this year. Is it Bayern they are playing?
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Starter

• Glasgow Seahawk wrote:I heard there is a big friendly this year. Is it Bayern they are playing?

Thats who the MLS all-stars are playing.

No word if the Sounders will have a friendly, and if so who we will play.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Reports have come forward that the transfer fee for Oba Martins will be paid in the coming days....
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Smurf wrote:Reports have come forward that the transfer fee for Oba Martins will be paid in the coming days....

Really disappointing if so. I didn't mind EJ leaving if Oba was staying. Losing both sucks though and we dont really have a proven quality striker now. Neagle can chip in with a few though.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Starter

• I wonder if the Sounders are considering making a push for Didier Drogba. They have good amount of money now. Drogba did say that he would consider coming to the MLS. If Oba leaves, could be a possibility. I believe Drogba is playing for Galatasaray. Could the Sounders buy his contract from them? Do they have enough money for that?
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• Looks like the Oba to Rizespor deal has fallen through. Oba only wanted an 8 game loan, Rizespor wanted a full transfer.....its reported they also couldn't pay the transfer fee we required.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• I don't think there was ever anything to the Oba/turkey rumors.

West Ham on the other hand... Looks like a forgone conclusion.
    knownone
    NET Veteran

• knownone wrote:I don't think there was ever anything to the Oba/turkey rumors.

West Ham on the other hand... Looks like a forgone conclusion.

Yeah, West Ham I always thought was more likely if it was a loan situation...but when it looked like a sale I thought there was something too the Turkey rumor.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Mario Martinez tweeted today that today has come one step closer to returning to Seattle.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Erik Friberg will be in Seattle over the weekend. Not sure if just visiting former teammates or if this is a trip about his future.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• I have no idea what to make of the upcoming season.

After the playoffs, I finally joined the Sigi out camp, and wanted EJ to stay. That said, I completely understand why it went the opposite way, and have enough faith in Hanaeur that it will be the right move.

I'm still not sure what to make of the back line, but the home stretch of last season did not inspire any confidence.
    Super Bowl Champions

Conference Champions

Division Champions

"Hell no! I wanna go get my rang!"
    Seahawks1983
    NET Starter

• Sounders have reportedly offered HomeGrown Player contracts to Academy players: FWD Sean Okoli, FWD Darwin Jones and Def/Mid Aaron Kovar.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Lamar Neagle was re-signed today.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Marcus Hahnemann has been re-signed.

Sounders also signed HomeGrown Players Aaron Kovar and Sean Okoli.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Rumor: In a cap space move it looks like the Sounders are sending Jhon Kennedy Hurtado and Patrick Ianni to Chicago for Right Back Jalil Anibaba. Hurtado and Ianni make $340,000 between the two of them.

It is also rumored that the Sounders are signing Mid Fielder, and former Chicago Fire man Marco Pappa.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Official:

Sounders trade CB's Patrick Ianni and Jhon Kennedy Hurtado along with their 13th selection in the Superdraft for RB/CB Janil Anibaba, The 8th selection in the Superdraft and a conditional pick.

Great trade.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Any trade that removes those two liabilities from the pitch for Seattle is going to get a thumbs up from me.
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Anibaba is a natural CB from what I read so I am looking forward to watching if our two young defenders at CB and RB can create a dynamic force that we have been missing.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

• SeatownJay wrote:Any trade that removes those two liabilities from the pitch for Seattle is going to get a thumbs up from me.

I knew you'd be happy with the move Jay!

lol

Seems like a good move to me.

Anibaba pairs better with Marshall than the others we have. We now have a quick, physical, athletic CB who can pair with our two more tenured field veteran type players (Marshall and Traore).

Also saves cap room so we can go get a Mario Martinez, a Marco Pappa, a Steffan Haggen....or maybe all three (I would be in dream land).
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• MN soccer star (and former Mn Thunder Academy player, and opponent of yours truly's team on several occassions) Eric Miller drafted #5 by Montreal
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

• Love the Hurtado trade! Has Traore been released yet?
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Starter

• Seattle took two CB's today in Damion Lowe and Jimmy Ockford.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Love the Hurtado trade! Has Traore been released yet?

Nope, Don't see it happening either.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• From today's (1/21/14) drafting...

"Sounders FC selected forward/midfielder Stefano Rijssel of Trinidadian club W Connection FC with the No. 55 overall pick in the third round and midfielder Fabio Pereira from the University of Michigan with the No. 77 pick."

Sounders FC assistant coach and scout, Kurt Schmid:

“Stefano is a young player that Ezra Hendrickson scouted at the Caribbean combine and we all saw at the MLS Combine. He showed good tactical sense as well as physical qualities. He can play wide in midfield but also has some versatility.”

“Fabio has done well throughout his college career. He’s a player we had a chance to work with closely at our Las Vegas combine as well. We like his soccer IQ and technical ability. Fabio can play all over midfield and has a good engine. Both players have the ability to compete for a spot on our roster.”

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/soundersf ... uperdraft/
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

Re: Sounders Offseason News -
Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:50 pm
  • 19 year-old Panamanian Omar Browne to trial with the Sounders.

"19 year-old left-footed striker and attacking midfielder Omar "Cito" Browne will go on trial with the Sounders, presumably during Seattle's pre-season training in the hopes of earning a spot on the roster."

http://www.sounderatheart.com/sounders- ... s-trialist
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:34 pm
  • Here is to hoping that Omar Browne is a diamond in the rough!
    Dren
    NET Bench Warmer

Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:27 pm
  • We knew this day was coming but now it's arrived.... Fredy Montero is officially off the Sounders. Sport Lisbon has officially acquired him from his loan (the estimate is $4.5M). Sounders' loss is SL's gain. Good Luck Fredy! Thank you for all your efforts as a Sounder!
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:41 pm
  • Meh, he was never coming back.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:23 pm
  • Marco Pappa has been acquired via allocation.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

• Drogba to Seattle at the end of the Euro season?

https://twitter.com/TFootballFamily/sta ... 2585555969

It's a rumor for now, but supposedly this has been a reliable source in the past.

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• razgriz737 wrote:Drogba to Seattle at the end of the Euro season?

https://twitter.com/TFootballFamily/sta ... 2585555969

It's a rumor for now, but supposedly this has been a reliable source in the past.

This would be cool. Drogba is up there in age (per Soccer years) but for a couple of years at minimum may be great value. I had a feeling that they were going to target Drogba as there is a void up front but that was before Martins decided he was coming back. Once he was coming back and they went out and got Cooper. I thought Drogba would be a longshot. Drogba, Pappa, Dempsey, and Martins....screw rebuilding. That's a formidable Midfield/attack.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• I wouldn't put much hope in that Drogba rumor...

Seems every 5 months hes linked to an MLS club.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

PreviousNext

It is currently Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:52 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information