Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 294 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: Sounders Offseason News Thread - Eddie Johnson Traded to DC
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:55 am 
NET Veteran

Smurf wrote:
Uncle Si wrote:

so Kenny Cooper for EJ?

I've lost interest in the MLS (again)

You're looking at it wrong....its not Cooper for EJ.

Its EJ and Mauro for Cooper, Bowen, #2 in allocation order and somewhere north of $700k in allocation money.

We have the pieces to bring in some good players with that.

with that much allocation money we can get a player like Alvaro Fernandez, or Christian Tiffert. Or a Mario Martinez. Buy a Herculez Gomez. We could pay for a player like Valeri, or Chara. We could use that money to buy down Alonso's contract below DP status.

We have the ability to bring in some good players.

We are far from done adding players.

As of this moment the sounders have a retread striker, a relatively unknown mid/defender and opportunity.... At a loss of a quality technical player and a usmnt striker... Am I looking at this wrong?

You give guesses...until those players are in its a massive digression

Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:14 pm 
* NET Fan Boy *

Sounders select ST Chad Barrett (New England) and ST Corey Hertzog (Vancouver) in Stage-2 of the Re-Entry draft.

Seattle is collecting depth up front.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:58 pm 
NET Veteran

Uncle Si wrote:
Smurf wrote:
Uncle Si wrote:

so Kenny Cooper for EJ?

Its EJ and Mauro for Cooper, Bowen, #2 in allocation order and somewhere north of $700k in allocation money.

with that much allocation money we can get a player like Alvaro Fernandez, or Christian Tiffert. Or a Mario Martinez. Buy a Herculez Gomez. We could pay for a player like Valeri, or Chara. We could use that money to buy down Alonso's contract below DP status.

As of this moment the sounders have a retread striker, a relatively unknown mid/defender and opportunity.... At a loss of a quality technical player and a usmnt striker... Am I looking at this wrong?

The drop off from Cooper to EJ is a small one especially in MLS. AH made it clear that the sounders are far from finished. I'd expect us to move either ianni or hurtado maybe both and pick up a talented hopefully young WAM to fill our need for creativity.

Max allocation is worth more than EJ.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:40 pm 
* NET Philistine *

knownone wrote:
Uncle Si wrote:
Smurf wrote:
Uncle Si wrote:

so Kenny Cooper for EJ?

The drop off from Cooper to EJ is a small one especially in MLS. AH made it clear that the sounders are far from finished. I'd expect us to move either ianni or hurtado maybe both and pick up a talented hopefully young WAM to fill our need for creativity.

Max allocation is worth more than EJ.

If you seriously think Kenny is a small dropoff from EJ, I've got waterfront property in Arizona to sell you.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:44 pm 
* NET Fan Boy *

We will be able to have Cooper, Barrett, Hertzog and Bowen for the cost it would have taken to Keep EJ.

That said EJ is WAAAAAY better than Cooper...who is the best of that bunch mentioned above.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:48 pm 
* NET Staff Alumni *
* NET Staff Alumni *

Any chance they spend the money on getting some new defenders so we never have to see Ianni, Hurtado, or Scott on the field in a Sounders uniform again?

Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:10 pm 
* NET Fan Boy *

SeatownJay wrote:
Any chance they spend the money on getting some new defenders so we never have to see Ianni, Hurtado, or Scott on the field in a Sounders uniform again?

We already got Chad Marshall.

Expect more from Dylan Remick next year.

Minimal more signings along the backline I think.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:13 pm 
NET Veteran

In the last 2 seasons, EJ-26 goals cooper-24.
EJ may be the more talented, more dynamic player but in this league the drop off between the two isn't huge.
Look at Wondo he's not in EJs class yet he's had way more production.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 12:14 am 
* NET Fan Boy *

knownone wrote:
EJ may be the more talented, more dynamic player but in this league the drop off between the two isn't huge.

2 less goals in 16 less appearances...

Just saying.

Cooper is hot and cold. He had 6 goals last year....18 before that. With EJ there is consistency...thats what most fans loved about EJ. He was consistently EJ. Its why people disliked Montero for large stretches...he was such a streaky striker....Cooper is just that. Hot for a bit, then cold. Consistency and on the ball skill is why he's not a national team player and why's only ever had 10 appearances for the nats team. I'm not sold on Cooper as a starting 11 player for this team. A role player...perhaps. But he is not a player I want in my 11 week in and week out.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 5:29 am 
NET Veteran

Smurf wrote:
knownone wrote:

Just saying.

Cooper is hot and cold. He had 6 goals last year....18 before that. With EJ there is consistency...thats what most fans loved about EJ. He was consistently EJ. Its why people disliked Montero for large stretches...he was such a streaky striker....Cooper is just that. Hot for a bit, then cold. Consistency and on the ball skill is why he's not a national team player and why's only ever had 10 appearances for the nats team. I'm not sold on Cooper as a starting 11 player for this team. A role player...perhaps. But he is not a player I want in my 11 week in and week out.

its not just that.. Montero and EJ are dynamic players (Montero far moreso) who bring more than just goals to the team. Montero's development in Portugal has been amazing to watch. But both can occupy defenders, make runs into space, distribute from hold up play, etc.

Cooper is your typical pre-Klinsmann American striker. Back to goal, stands there alone, tries to control and turn. He was the opt out when Altidore couldnt figure it out. He offers nothing in terms of distribution. He doesnt run behind the defenders to open up space for other players. He is limited in what he can offer, and therefore limits the team around him in terms of system and philosophy of play.

If you're down a goal and want to bang in long balls to dirty into an equalizer... on comes Cooper. If you want to play an appealing, pass and move system with Dempsey moving around underneath Copper is more of centerback for the opposing team than a partner for Clint.

I dont know what the allocation money brings in.. until the Sounders invest that in some dynamic players (now they need atleast a winger and another striker) then this move just sucks.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 1:02 pm 
NET Veteran

Sarlacc83 wrote:
If you seriously think Kenny is a small dropoff from EJ, I've got waterfront property in Arizona to sell you.

Pssst, you're doing it wrong, there's actually lots of waterfront property in Arizona.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:39 pm 
* NET Philistine *

Chapow wrote:
Sarlacc83 wrote:

Pssst, you're doing it wrong, there's actually lots of waterfront property in Arizona.

*whispers* I know. It doesn't work if the ruse is obvious.

Post Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2013 9:47 pm 
NET Veteran

Smurf wrote:
knownone wrote:

Just saying.

I disagree about consistency. Dallas miscast Cooper playing him primarily out wide and he struggled. EJ was on a better team and got a majority of his goals off great service. How many goals does he have without Mauro?
Sigi wants a #9 who can stay high and receive the ball at his feet and maintain possession, that's exactly what Cooper did with New York where he scored 18 goals. He's capable of playing every position up top so he can easily combine and interchange with Oba and Deuce. Who do you think would be a better fit in the Diamond?

Post Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:09 am 
NET Veteran

knownone wrote:
Smurf wrote:
knownone wrote:

Just saying.

I disagree about consistency. Dallas miscast Cooper playing him primarily out wide and he struggled. EJ was on a better team and got a majority of his goals off great service. How many goals does he have without Mauro?
Sigi wants a #9 who can stay high and receive the ball at his feet and maintain possession, that's exactly what Cooper did with New York where he scored 18 goals. He's capable of playing every position up top so he can easily combine and interchange with Oba and Deuce. Who do you think would be a better fit in the Diamond?

18 goals with Tierry Henry collapsing defenses around him....

Cooper is not an interchangeable player (most true #9s arent). He is not going to slide down into the CAM role and recieve, take on defenders and distribute (I mean he may "do it" but it wont be effective) its fine to think that Cooper isnt a major downgrade from EJ. Its debatable (I just disagree).

However you shake it, you now have paired a +30 year old CAM/Winger with a 29 year old back to goal striker and have done nothing to add speed to the wings.

if Sigi does want to play a hybrid 433 (whether a 4231/4213 or 4411) Cooper offers little in moving defenses.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:57 pm 
* NET Fan Boy *

Dempsey is going on Loan to Fulham for January and February.

This will help the sounders cap situation as Fulham will pay his wages during that span.

Post subject: Re: Sounders Offseason News Thread - Oba to Turkey Rumor....
 Post Posted: Sat Dec 21, 2013 2:54 pm 
* NET Fan Boy *

Rumors have surfaced again that Oba Martins is on his way to Turkey to join Rizespor. I doubt it, but its a rumor thats out there....

Post Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 7:11 am 
NET Rookie

I heard there is a big friendly this year. Is it Bayern they are playing?

Post Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:26 pm 
* NET Fan Boy *

Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
I heard there is a big friendly this year. Is it Bayern they are playing?

Thats who the MLS all-stars are playing.

No word if the Sounders will have a friendly, and if so who we will play.

Post Posted: Sun Dec 22, 2013 10:50 pm 
* NET Fan Boy *

Reports have come forward that the transfer fee for Oba Martins will be paid in the coming days....

Post Posted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:54 pm 
NET Rookie

Smurf wrote:
Reports have come forward that the transfer fee for Oba Martins will be paid in the coming days....

Really disappointing if so. I didn't mind EJ leaving if Oba was staying. Losing both sucks though and we dont really have a proven quality striker now. Neagle can chip in with a few though.

Post Posted: Tue Dec 24, 2013 10:46 am 
*GOLD SUPPORTER*
*GOLD SUPPORTER*

I wonder if the Sounders are considering making a push for Didier Drogba. They have good amount of money now. Drogba did say that he would consider coming to the MLS. If Oba leaves, could be a possibility. I believe Drogba is playing for Galatasaray. Could the Sounders buy his contract from them? Do they have enough money for that?

Post Posted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:37 am 
* NET Fan Boy *

Looks like the Oba to Rizespor deal has fallen through. Oba only wanted an 8 game loan, Rizespor wanted a full transfer.....its reported they also couldn't pay the transfer fee we required.

Post Posted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 11:37 am 
NET Veteran

I don't think there was ever anything to the Oba/turkey rumors.

West Ham on the other hand... Looks like a forgone conclusion.

Post subject: Re: Sounders Offseason News Thread - Oba looking for loan
 Post Posted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 6:35 pm 
* NET Fan Boy *

knownone wrote:
I don't think there was ever anything to the Oba/turkey rumors.

West Ham on the other hand... Looks like a forgone conclusion.

Yeah, West Ham I always thought was more likely if it was a loan situation...but when it looked like a sale I thought there was something too the Turkey rumor.

Post subject: Re: Sounders Offseason News Thread - Martinez to Return?
 Post Posted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 11:54 pm 
* NET Fan Boy *

Mario Martinez tweeted today that today has come one step closer to returning to Seattle.

Post Posted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 7:59 pm 
* NET Fan Boy *

Erik Friberg will be in Seattle over the weekend. Not sure if just visiting former teammates or if this is a trip about his future.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:02 pm 
NET Rookie

I have no idea what to make of the upcoming season.

After the playoffs, I finally joined the Sigi out camp, and wanted EJ to stay. That said, I completely understand why it went the opposite way, and have enough faith in Hanaeur that it will be the right move.

I'm still not sure what to make of the back line, but the home stretch of last season did not inspire any confidence.

Conference Champions
2005, 2013

Division Champions
1988, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2010, 2013

"Hell no! I wanna go get my rang!"

Post Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 7:38 pm 
* NET Fan Boy *

Sounders have reportedly offered HomeGrown Player contracts to Academy players: FWD Sean Okoli, FWD Darwin Jones and Def/Mid Aaron Kovar.

Post subject: Re: Sounders Offseason News Thread - HomeGrown Players Incoming?
 Post Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:35 pm 
* NET Fan Boy *

Lamar Neagle was re-signed today.

Post subject: Re: Sounders Offseason News Thread - Okoli and Kovar signed
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 11:08 am 
* NET Fan Boy *

Marcus Hahnemann has been re-signed.

Sounders also signed HomeGrown Players Aaron Kovar and Sean Okoli.

Post subject: Re: Sounders Offseason News - Hurtado and Ianni Traded???
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:20 am 
* NET Fan Boy *

Rumor: In a cap space move it looks like the Sounders are sending Jhon Kennedy Hurtado and Patrick Ianni to Chicago for Right Back Jalil Anibaba. Hurtado and Ianni make $340,000 between the two of them.

It is also rumored that the Sounders are signing Mid Fielder, and former Chicago Fire man Marco Pappa.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:07 am 
NET Veteran

Sounders ink Tristen Bowen to a deal: http://www.soundersfc.com/News/Articles ... Bowen.aspx

Post Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:52 am 
* NET Fan Boy *

CurryStopstheRuns wrote:
Sounders ink Tristen Bowen to a deal: http://www.soundersfc.com/News/Articles ... Bowen.aspx

Chad Barrett also officially a sounder.

Post subject: Re: Sounders Offseason News - Hurtado/Ianni Traded for Anibaba
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:23 pm 
* NET Fan Boy *

Official:

Sounders trade CB's Patrick Ianni and Jhon Kennedy Hurtado along with their 13th selection in the Superdraft for RB/CB Janil Anibaba, The 8th selection in the Superdraft and a conditional pick.

Great trade.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 2:33 pm 
* NET Staff Alumni *
* NET Staff Alumni *

Any trade that removes those two liabilities from the pitch for Seattle is going to get a thumbs up from me.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 3:07 pm 
NET Veteran

Anibaba is a natural CB from what I read so I am looking forward to watching if our two young defenders at CB and RB can create a dynamic force that we have been missing.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:17 pm 
* NET Fan Boy *

SeatownJay wrote:
Any trade that removes those two liabilities from the pitch for Seattle is going to get a thumbs up from me.

I knew you'd be happy with the move Jay!

lol

Seems like a good move to me.

Anibaba pairs better with Marshall than the others we have. We now have a quick, physical, athletic CB who can pair with our two more tenured field veteran type players (Marshall and Traore).

Also saves cap room so we can go get a Mario Martinez, a Marco Pappa, a Steffan Haggen....or maybe all three (I would be in dream land).

Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:46 am 
NET Veteran

MN soccer star (and former Mn Thunder Academy player, and opponent of yours truly's team on several occassions) Eric Miller drafted #5 by Montreal

Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:17 pm 
NET Rookie

Love the Hurtado trade! Has Traore been released yet?

Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:04 pm 
* NET Fan Boy *

Seattle took two CB's today in Damion Lowe and Jimmy Ockford.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:05 pm 
* NET Fan Boy *

Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
Love the Hurtado trade! Has Traore been released yet?

Nope, Don't see it happening either.

Post subject: Re: Sounders Offseason News - Lowe and Ockford Drafted
 Post Posted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 3:26 pm 
NET Veteran

From today's (1/21/14) drafting...

"Sounders FC selected forward/midfielder Stefano Rijssel of Trinidadian club W Connection FC with the No. 55 overall pick in the third round and midfielder Fabio Pereira from the University of Michigan with the No. 77 pick."

Sounders FC assistant coach and scout, Kurt Schmid:

“Stefano is a young player that Ezra Hendrickson scouted at the Caribbean combine and we all saw at the MLS Combine. He showed good tactical sense as well as physical qualities. He can play wide in midfield but also has some versatility.”

“Fabio has done well throughout his college career. He’s a player we had a chance to work with closely at our Las Vegas combine as well. We like his soccer IQ and technical ability. Fabio can play all over midfield and has a good engine. Both players have the ability to compete for a spot on our roster.”

http://blogs.seattletimes.com/soundersf ... uperdraft/

Post subject: Re: Sounders Offseason News -
 Post Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:50 pm 
NET Veteran

19 year-old Panamanian Omar Browne to trial with the Sounders.

"19 year-old left-footed striker and attacking midfielder Omar "Cito" Browne will go on trial with the Sounders, presumably during Seattle's pre-season training in the hopes of earning a spot on the roster."

http://www.sounderatheart.com/sounders- ... s-trialist

Post Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 12:34 pm 
NET Bench Warmer

Here is to hoping that Omar Browne is a diamond in the rough!

Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:27 pm 
*GOLD SUPPORTER*
*GOLD SUPPORTER*

We knew this day was coming but now it's arrived.... Fredy Montero is officially off the Sounders. Sport Lisbon has officially acquired him from his loan (the estimate is $4.5M). Sounders' loss is SL's gain. Good Luck Fredy! Thank you for all your efforts as a Sounder!

Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:41 pm 
NET Veteran

Meh, he was never coming back.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:23 pm 
NET Veteran

Marco Pappa has been acquired via allocation.

Post subject: Re: Sounders Offseason News - Marco Pappa a Sounder
 Post Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:40 pm 
NET Veteran

Drogba to Seattle at the end of the Euro season?

https://twitter.com/TFootballFamily/sta ... 2585555969

It's a rumor for now, but supposedly this has been a reliable source in the past.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:54 pm 
*GOLD SUPPORTER*
*GOLD SUPPORTER*

razgriz737 wrote:
Drogba to Seattle at the end of the Euro season?

https://twitter.com/TFootballFamily/sta ... 2585555969

It's a rumor for now, but supposedly this has been a reliable source in the past.

This would be cool. Drogba is up there in age (per Soccer years) but for a couple of years at minimum may be great value. I had a feeling that they were going to target Drogba as there is a void up front but that was before Martins decided he was coming back. Once he was coming back and they went out and got Cooper. I thought Drogba would be a longshot. Drogba, Pappa, Dempsey, and Martins....screw rebuilding. That's a formidable Midfield/attack.

Post Posted: Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:46 pm 
* NET Fan Boy *

I wouldn't put much hope in that Drogba rumor...

Seems every 5 months hes linked to an MLS club.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 294 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE SPORTS BAR ]