Sounders Season Thread ***YEDLIN SOLD***

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
  • Trenchbroom wrote:
    razgriz737 wrote:This is the first match without Ross Fletcher commentating. Coincedence?

What happened to Ross Fletcher? Did I miss something? Is he no longer with the Sounders?

I dunno, there was just some American dude filling in for him.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• razgriz737 wrote:
    Trenchbroom wrote:
    razgriz737 wrote:This is the first match without Ross Fletcher commentating. Coincedence?

What happened to Ross Fletcher? Did I miss something? Is he no longer with the Sounders?

I dunno, there was just some American dude filling in for him.

His significant other is expecting.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Dempsey, Evans and Yedlin called into US National Team. They will be away from the team until at least 6/2 (when the roster is cut from 30 to 23.

I'd Imagine Cooper will be our replacement for Dempsey up top. I have no idea what to make of RB right now...Scott or Anibaba?
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Nice bounceback win by Seattle tonight. A spectacular goal from Obafemi and, more importantly, they finally kept a clean sheet.
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Great response to last week. Martins goal was a great finish! To top it off a clean sheet! :)

Question has to be asked: Was the clean sheet due to Yedlin not playing or due to San Jose's depleted strikeforce? If we keep a clean sheet next week against the Whitecaps we may have an answer.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Rookie

• Oba's goal really was incredible. Got a feeling it won't be long before we see Pappa drill one from distance too. Unfortunately I couldn't watch the second half as the channel stopped working here at UW. No idea why.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Great response to last week. Martins goal was a great finish! To top it off a clean sheet! :)

Question has to be asked: Was the clean sheet due to Yedlin not playing or due to San Jose's depleted strikeforce? If we keep a clean sheet next week against the Whitecaps we may have an answer.

It's a bit of both...Anibaba filled in nicely for Yedlin and it was good to have Leo back. SJ missed on a lot of chances though but so did the Sounders. SJ suffered because Wondolowski is playing with USMNT. They have no other scoring threats on their team.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• It's too bad that Evans didn't make the U.S. National team but now the Sounders are going to benefit from him being here.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• Stefan Frei is an idiot. That is all.
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• SeatownJay wrote:Stefan Frei is an idiot. That is all.

Yeah, I'm not sure what the hell he was thinking there.
    Spounge84
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• Poor defense and below average keepers lead to 1pt instead of 3pts. The Sounders gave away a game today. Should have won this one.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• hawkfan68 wrote:Poor defense and below average keepers lead to 1pt instead of 3pts. The Sounders gave away a game today. Should have won this one.

Completely disagree. We should have been 2/3 goals down in the first 10 minutes and rode our luck. The goals we did give away were pretty damn awful. It looked like Traore tackled Alonso by mistake when he fell for the first. Don't know what Frei was thinking for the second.

We also benefited from a soft penalty decision for once. It was never a penalty. If Martins had scored rather than hit the post, it would have been daylight robbery (but i'd have loved it).

A draw was fair but I can understand why Vancouver fans would be annoyed.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Rookie

• Some news:

Djimi Traore has torn his abductor muscle. He will be out "Awhile". So, few months without Traore.

Marshall is getting over an illness (why he sat out Vancouver). Apparently it was so bad he lost 5 pounds during the ordeal.

Evans is probably starting at RB this weekend with either Anibaba or Scott at CB.

Its possible they will recall Jimmy Ockford (on loan at Cosmos), or more likely, sign a CB in the summer window...which was already something Sigi has talked about doing.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Also, The Sounders first US Open Cup game is in July. Tickets go on sale tomorrow AM at 10, Unless you are an ECS Member in which case you can get them from the shop at WeAreECS.com right now.

Starfire is a great place to see a game. Special atmosphere.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Not to nitpick, Smurf, but I think Traore tore his adductor rather than his abductor, haha. Looks like they can take anywhere between 6 weeks and 6 months to heal.

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• Great result!
    I am a firm believer in luck, and I found that the harder I work the more I have of it.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

• razgriz737 wrote:Not to nitpick, Smurf, but I think Traore tore his adductor rather than his abductor, haha. Looks like they can take anywhere between 6 weeks and 6 months to heal.

yeah, well i can't be perfect.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• 4-0.

Pineda, and Pappa are becoming revelations for this team. Superb stuff from both today. Neagle, Oba, Cooper and Barrett did their part too...along with the boys at the back. Clean sheet is almost sweeter than netting 4.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Nice win today by the Sounders. They could have had easily 3 more goals and won 7-0. Just missed a few by mere inches. They got 3 pts and that's what matters.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• That Pappa goal was AMAZING! Great stuff.

.....................................................................................-Webzone Niner fan GhostOfJimmyDean
    Trenchbroom
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

• Trenchbroom wrote:That Pappa goal was AMAZING! Great stuff.

Agreed. I showed my wife the video and she thought that the ball was sailing over the goal.
    I am a firm believer in luck, and I found that the harder I work the more I have of it.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

• In case anyone is interested, MLSLive is having a free weekend today through Sunday.

http://www.mlssoccer.com/news/article/2 ... n=06062014
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Man, what a disjointed first half. Two red cards, a penalty, a bunch of chippy play. The second half will probably be wide open.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Messed up game....

3-2 victory. 2 reds. 10v10. Frei came up HUGE for us today.

32 points out of 15 games. 10 wins, 2 draws, 3 losses. 2.13 Points Per Game.

32 Goals For. 23 Goals Against.

2.13 Goals Per Game, 1.5 Goals Against Per Game.

7 Point lead over RSL in the West and Supporters Shield Race. RSL does have 1 game in hand.

Time for the World Cup break in MLS play...and the start of US Open Cup play.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Do U.S. Open Cup figure into MLS suspensions? Martins got a red card so he would have to sit out the next game, correct. If so, can the US Open cup match count toward that or does it have to be a league game?
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• hawkfan68 wrote:Do U.S. Open Cup figure into MLS suspensions? Martins got a red card so he would have to sit out the next game, correct. If so, can the US Open cup match count toward that or does it have to be a league game?

No, they are separate. Martins can play in the upcoming Open Cup match but will miss the next MLS match.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Correct. Martins will be eligible for US Open Cup....I would say he has about a 30% chance of actually playing though.

He will be suspended for at least the DC United game...if not more.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• MLS is on break, but Sounders start US Open play tonight against PSA Elite. Live stream courtesy of soundersfc.com can be found here: http://www.soundersfc.com/content/2014- ... -psa-elite
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Business done. 5-0 as it should be against that side.

Sounders looked pretty good. Kovar was a big influence in the game. Cooper had two goals. Zach Scott played like an impassable god (which gives you an indication of how bad PSA are).

Good win.

San Jose on Tuesday at Starfire for the next round.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Took Penalties tonight, but the Sounders won 1-1 (4-1) at home vs San Jose Earthquakes. The Sounders advanced to the quarter finals where they will host the Portland Timbers on July 9th.

The Sounders will play the Timbers again 4 days later at Century Link Field in league play...

Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Just watched the highlights and I have to say that the referee was an idiot at the end of regulation. Who blows the whistle for time when a team has a wide open shot at goal inside the 18?
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

• Sounders resume MLS play tonight against Eastern Conference leaders DC United and former Sounder Eddie Johnson. Match time is 7pm ET, 4pm PT.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• SeatownJay wrote:Sounders resume MLS play tonight against Eastern Conference leaders DC United and former Sounder Eddie Johnson. Match time is 7pm ET, 4pm PT.

Just Neagle up top as well, correct. Or did Martin's red get overturned?
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

• CurryStopstheRuns wrote:
    SeatownJay wrote:Sounders resume MLS play tonight against Eastern Conference leaders DC United and former Sounder Eddie Johnson. Match time is 7pm ET, 4pm PT.

No, Martins is out for this match.
    Spounge84
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• A few questions, I have caught the world cup fever a little bit, it is an enjoyable game to watch. However I watched a Timbers game last night and it was absolutely DREADFUL, pardon my ignorance but it seemed every 20 seconds the ball was out of bounds, there was no space to operate in the attacking zones, its like the field was 50 yards more compact and was just just mullets kicking balls back and forth. It might be cool if each team had 3 less players? Does MLS suck that much? Are the fields that much smaller, is the talent level that much worse?

Sorry for dumb questions :D
    m0ng0
    NET Veteran

• m0ng0 wrote:A few questions, I have caught the world cup fever a little bit, it is an enjoyable game to watch. However I watched a Timbers game last night and it was absolutely DREADFUL, pardon my ignorance but it seemed every 20 seconds the ball was out of bounds, there was no space to operate in the attacking zones, its like the field was 50 yards more compact and was just just mullets kicking balls back and forth. It might be cool if each team had 3 less players? Does MLS suck that much? Are the fields that much smaller, is the talent level that much worse?

Portland's field is one of the smallest in the league. They arent a very good side, and their opponent KC is missing their biggest creator (he's with the national team). It's also the first league game in weeks and both sides have probably lost some match fitness.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• m0ng0 wrote:A few questions, I have caught the world cup fever a little bit, it is an enjoyable game to watch. However I watched a Timbers game last night and it was absolutely DREADFUL, pardon my ignorance but it seemed every 20 seconds the ball was out of bounds, there was no space to operate in the attacking zones, its like the field was 50 yards more compact and was just just mullets kicking balls back and forth. It might be cool if each team had 3 less players? Does MLS suck that much? Are the fields that much smaller, is the talent level that much worse?

The fields in all the FIFA-sanctioned leagues must meet specific size requirements. They must be between 100 & 130 yards in length and 50 & 100 yards in width. Pitches used for International matches must be even more uniform, between 110 & 120 yards long and 70 & 80 yards wide. Portland's pitch is 110x75 so it's a regulation International-size pitch. For comparison, Seattle's pitch is 114x74. The largest pitch in MLS is Montreal's Saputo Stadium at 120x77. The smallest is Houston's BBVA Compass Stadium at 115x70. The sizes of all MLS stadiums can be found here. For comparison's sake, the largest pitch in the EPL (as of last season) is Manchester City's Etihad Stadium at 116.5x78. The smallest is West Ham United's Upton Park at 110x70.

The biggest difference you're seeing is the talent level. The World Cup features the best players in the world. While MLS has improved the overall talent level significantly over the last several years, it's still not at the level of the top leagues in Europe. One way to measure the level is the number of players each league has in the World Cup. MLS ranks 10th with 21 players. England's Premier League is the clear leader with 106 players. The top 10 leagues by representation are as follows:

Premier League, England: 106
    Serie A, Italy: 81
    Bundesliga, Germany: 72
    Primera Division, Spain: 62
    Ligue 1, France: 43
    Premier League, Russia: 34
    Liga MX, Mexico: 25
    Super Lig, Turkey: 24
    Primeira Liga, Portugal: 22
    MLS, USA & Canada: 21
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• FYI, if you're not in the Seattle or DC markets, today's game is MLS's Free Stream of the Week on their website.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• When I watch MLS games, I see less of the slick passes and neat footwork the top-level players do in the World Cup, and more brute speed runs/playing long balls into or near the box. It's definitely different, but since I have a rooting interest, I have fun with it anyway!
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

--Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

SeatownJay wrote:Sounders resume MLS play tonight against Eastern Conference leaders DC United and former Sounder Eddie Johnson. Match time is 7pm ET, 4pm PT.

Looks like Seattle's going with a 4-4-2 tonight with Chad Barrett & Kenny Cooper up top.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Alonso picks up a yellow card and will miss the next match.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• I was really irritated that they didn't call that foul when Pappa was grabbed right outside the box, but they ended up scoring a couple minutes later anyway, so it's all good.

EDIT: I feel like that was a foul too in the 45th minute +1...
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

• Smelly McUgly wrote:I was really irritated that they didn't call that foul when Pappa was grabbed right outside the box, but they ended up scoring a couple minutes later anyway, so it's all good.

EDIT: I feel like that was a foul too in the 45th minute +1...

Just noticed your edit...yeah, that should have been a PK.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

• I'm in Maryland so I'm watching the United broadcast. They haven't shown a single replay of the pullback on Pappa but it sure looked like a foul in real time. Cooper went down way too easily on his attempt to draw a foul, though.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Now Pineda will miss the next match because of yellow card accumulation. Sounders are going to be very short-staffed next weekend against Portland.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• I still don't know how DC didn't finish any of those chances.

Actually, part of it is RFK's truly awful field because I saw at least two slips in the box where a DC player had space and the ball, but lost his footing.

Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

• Another 3 points towards the cause. Going to suck missing Pineda and Ozzie for Vancouver.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• SeatownJay wrote:Now Pineda will miss the next match because of yellow card accumulation. Sounders are going to be very short-staffed next weekend against Portland.

They will miss the Whitecaps match.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

SeatownJay wrote:Now Pineda will miss the next match because of yellow card accumulation. Sounders are going to be very short-staffed next weekend against Portland.

They will miss the Whitecaps match.

Yeah, you're right. I misread the schedule.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

PreviousNext

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 6:05 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information