Sounders Season Thread ***YEDLIN SOLD***

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
  • I've backed off some on my criticism of Yedlin. It's starting to appear that his defensive struggles are more to do with the formation and personnel Sigi is choosing to field than it is with Yedlin's ability or skill.
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Production value has changed just a bit....
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

• Oba-Dempsey connection on that goal was sublime.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• Yedlin's playing much better today with Neagle & Pappa in front of him instead of Cooper.
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• I love watching Americans talk about football.

Just settling down for the 2nd half of the Sounders Rapids match.
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• World class play from Dempsey, DAT FLICK! Dude has still got it.
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• DEUCE
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• I'd forgotten how terrible Djimi Traore is. I've edited the old Liverpool chant for you guys. Think "Blame it on the boogie".

Don't blame it on the Dempsey,
    Don't blame it on the Martins,
    Don't blame it on the Evans,
    Blame it on Traore,
    He just can't, He just can't, He just can't control his feet.
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Rename us Seattle Barcelona if we play like that every week. Thought the midfield and the forwards had a great game! Such a good game to watch and we could have got a good few more goals. Dempsey and Martins are playing absolutely superb. Mildly irritated at losing a goal. Again another couple of lapses in concentration with Marshall and Yedlin at fault. Could have lost a second goal if not for a good Frei save as well. Just as well Colorado are poor going forward. Keep it up offense! Step it up defence!
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Rookie

• The Sounders are playing brilliant ball in the midfield and forward, but the defense frightens me. They can get away with defensive lapses in runaway wins, but those errant holes in the defense frighten me in close matches.

With that said, this could have easily been a 6-0 match with proper finishes and stronger defense. I am elated with the teams direction at the moment.
    I am a firm believer in luck, and I found that the harder I work the more I have of it.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

• I'm really glad Sigi decided to ditch the 4-3-3 and go with the 4-4-2 with the players he has.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• It was more 4 2 3 1 I would say. A very effective formation for teams that like to play a fast passing game. It works well if you can get support to the lone striker which the Sounders did.
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

• Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• We need to shore up defensively in a hurry. We will have to win 1-0 at some point this season (hint, its the playoffs) and need to learn to play to 0. Offensive form is nice at the moment, but likely wont last through the world cup break when we lose Evans and Dempsey...and potentially Yedlin and Oba.

Brilliant stuff up front from Deuce and Oba. Two headed monster right now...and Neagle is playing solidly too.

Pappa appears to finally be settling in. Impressed by Pineda thus far. He's good player to have. Makes Evans a more versatile player for us.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Smurf wrote:We need to shore up defensively in a hurry. We will have to win 1-0 at some point this season (hint, its the playoffs) and need to learn to play to 0. Offensive form is nice at the moment, but likely wont last through the world cup break when we lose Evans and Dempsey...and potentially Yedlin and Oba.

Brilliant stuff up front from Deuce and Oba. Two headed monster right now...and Neagle is playing solidly too.

Pappa appears to finally be settling in. Impressed by Pineda thus far. He's good player to have. Makes Evans a more versatile player for us.

Dempsey is absolutely sizzling right now. He and Oba have found chemistry together and it's awesome. Neagle is playing well but there was one play in the first half that I wished he would have been less selfish and passed the ball inside to Oba or Dempsey. Dempsey was visibly upset with Lamar on that one. Defense is still a big issue and needs to be addressed. This has been a thorn in side for Sounders under Sigi. Defense has been poor on consistent basis throughout his tenure.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Rename us Seattle Barcelona if we play like that every week. Thought the midfield and the forwards had a great game! Such a good game to watch and we could have got a good few more goals. Dempsey and Martins are playing absolutely superb. Mildly irritated at losing a goal. Again another couple of lapses in concentration with Marshall and Yedlin at fault. Could have lost a second goal if not for a good Frei save as well. Just as well Colorado are poor going forward. Keep it up offense! Step it up defence!

Tap tap tap tap tap....goal.
    This could be the year!
    Seabhac
    NET Practice Squad

• Seabhac wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Rename us Seattle Barcelona if we play like that every week. Thought the midfield and the forwards had a great game! Such a good game to watch and we could have got a good few more goals. Dempsey and Martins are playing absolutely superb. Mildly irritated at losing a goal. Again another couple of lapses in concentration with Marshall and Yedlin at fault. Could have lost a second goal if not for a good Frei save as well. Just as well Colorado are poor going forward. Keep it up offense! Step it up defence!

This could be the year!

We'll see. Even if Dempsey keeps this form up all season we'll still lose him for the world cup. Evans and Yedlin may also be lost but starting to look unlikely though we may lose them to a pre world cup camp. Although Martins hasn't played for Nigeria in a while, if he keeps playing well he may get called up. That would be tough for May/June.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Rookie

• UK_Seahawk wrote:It was more 4 2 3 1 I would say. A very effective formation for teams that like to play a fast passing game. It works well if you can get support to the lone striker which the Sounders did.

Odd that the defense is struggling with so much support already layered into it. Too many give aways? (I didnt see the last match)
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

• Glasgow Seahawk wrote:
    Seabhac wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Rename us Seattle Barcelona if we play like that every week. Thought the midfield and the forwards had a great game! Such a good game to watch and we could have got a good few more goals. Dempsey and Martins are playing absolutely superb. Mildly irritated at losing a goal. Again another couple of lapses in concentration with Marshall and Yedlin at fault. Could have lost a second goal if not for a good Frei save as well. Just as well Colorado are poor going forward. Keep it up offense! Step it up defence!

This could be the year!

We'll see. Even if Dempsey keeps this form up all season we'll still lose him for the world cup. Evans and Yedlin may also be lost but starting to look unlikely though we may lose them to a pre world cup camp. Although Martins hasn't played for Nigeria in a while, if he keeps playing well he may get called up. That would be tough for May/June.

Sounders schedule looks light enough during the WC, an if we are honest with ourselves Dempsey and Evans (and Yedlin) should be back home two weeks before the grudge match against the Timbers-which I see is on the same day as the Worl Cup Final- Really MLS FFS what are you thinking!
    Seabhac
    NET Practice Squad

• Sounders defense continues to be a sieve. They're lucky not to have given up a couple more goals. Combined with the bad luck in the offensive side and it's been a frustrating half.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Well they got it done, but they did it the hard way, haha. Great time for Marshall to get his first goal with Seattle.

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• I watched this match because I was desperate for live sports, and it was actually really fun in the second half. Our guys were attacking constantly.

Clint Dempsey is really good, but so is that Pappa dude! He had a crazy shot on goal that went between a dude's legs and bent back toward the goal. I like how up-tempo they play - this is coming from a dude that basically only watches the World Cup, so excuse my ignorance about the specifics of the game.
    "He's a *****. It's not that he was a *****, he is a *****, and that's why he hasn't won anything."
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

• That's pretty rad Si.

Takes a lot of people to get that type of thing to come off the right way.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• It was an ugly game for sure. Would have kept a clean sheet if it wasn't for Brad's OG....Happens. Still would like them to stiffen up a little bit in the back. Traore and Marshall are still have miscues with each other at the moment. Haven't quite got that chemistry and communication perfect yet.

One thing you guys will notice is that our defensive shape is different with Leo in the lineup vs Remick.

When both are healthy, we are more likely to see Leo play when teams have a good, aggressive attack. Remick will play against teams we are attempting to pin back with constant pressure.

Wednesday will be an interesting challenge.

Leo is most likely still out.

Remick is going to be out with his injury.

That leaves our Left back options to the ever versatile Brad Evans, Sounder Legend Zach Scott, or Anibaba.

My guess is that its Evans. He played well at LB over the weekend, and has gotten solid minutes in since returning from his calf injury...also gives some good footage to Klinnsman on Brad...he can play left side too if need be.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• don't forget we kick off tonight at 7pm.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Starting XI tonight:
    Frei
    Yedlin
    Scott
    Marshall
    Evans
    Neagle
    Alonso
    Pineda
    Pappa
    Dempsey
    Martins

No Leo, Remick, OR Traore.

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• Well, it didn't take Seattle long to lose the clean sheet tonight.

In other news, Michel is the ugliest man in MLS.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• I don't know if Sigi is lucky or a genius with his subs, but I'm happy either way.

Oba with 2 fantastic assists tonight.

Pappa is playing miles better than he was at the very beginning of the season.

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• I'm sorry guys and gals, I'm just not a Stefan Frei fan. The more I see him play, I wish Gspurning was still here. I guess it's don't know what you got till its gone. Frei just stood there watching the ball on the PK by Michel. He didn't even move from his spot. Show some freaking effort. I've seen statues move faster Frei. He is good at times but boy is he bad at others.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• hawkfan68 wrote:I'm sorry guys and gals, I'm just not a Stefan Frei fan. The more I see him play, I wish Gspurning was still here. I guess it's don't know what you got till its gone. Frei just stood there watching the ball on the PK by Michel. He didn't even move from his spot. Show some freaking effort. I've seen statues move faster Frei. He is good at times but boy is he bad at others.

Keepers can't be judged on PK's dude. Just can't. They are in no mans land. He thought Michel was going left, and moved that way. Michel went right and it caught Frei off. It happens...happens a ton. PK's are about guessing the right way to go, and he got it wrong. It happens.

I'm not a huge fan of Frei either. He's good with position, but he's not a great reflex keeper. I think he is good enough for us to get the job done.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Good news for the Sounders, Obafemi has not been called up by Nigeria for the World Cup.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Smurf wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:I'm sorry guys and gals, I'm just not a Stefan Frei fan. The more I see him play, I wish Gspurning was still here. I guess it's don't know what you got till its gone. Frei just stood there watching the ball on the PK by Michel. He didn't even move from his spot. Show some freaking effort. I've seen statues move faster Frei. He is good at times but boy is he bad at others.

Keepers can't be judged on PK's dude. Just can't. They are in no mans land. He thought Michel was going left, and moved that way. Michel went right and it caught Frei off. It happens...happens a ton. PK's are about guessing the right way to go, and he got it wrong. It happens.

I'm not a huge fan of Frei either. He's good with position, but he's not a great reflex keeper. I think he is good enough for us to get the job done.

I admit PKs are a poor example to judge goalies. I was judging Frei based on the whole season so far not on the PK. Goalies are at a severe disadvantage on PKs. So I can understand that it's virtually impossible to stop a shot in that instance. Even the best goalies give up PKs.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• hawkfan68 wrote:
    Smurf wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:I'm sorry guys and gals, I'm just not a Stefan Frei fan. The more I see him play, I wish Gspurning was still here. I guess it's don't know what you got till its gone. Frei just stood there watching the ball on the PK by Michel. He didn't even move from his spot. Show some freaking effort. I've seen statues move faster Frei. He is good at times but boy is he bad at others.

I admit PKs are a poor example to judge keepers. I was judging Frei based on the whole season so far not on the PK. keepers are at a severe disadvantage on PKs. So I can understand that it's virtually impossible to stop a shot in that instance. Even the best keepers give up PKs.

Sorry. Had to. :P

Frei's play hasn't been steller....Hasn't been bad enough for me to cry for Hahnemann....but enough to make me miss Gspurning.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Smurf wrote:Hasn't been bad enough for me to cry for Hahnemann....but enough to make me miss Gspurning.

My thoughts exactly.

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• Smurf wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:
    Smurf wrote:

I admit PKs are a poor example to judge keepers. I was judging Frei based on the whole season so far not on the PK. keepers are at a severe disadvantage on PKs. So I can understand that it's virtually impossible to stop a shot in that instance. Even the best keepers give up PKs.

Frei's play hasn't been steller....Hasn't been bad enough for me to cry for Hahnemann....but enough to make me miss Gspurning.

Yeah I think he has been very average. A few good saves, a few howlers but not enough for me to worry. I think the Sounders have been mostly lucky in the past having Keller for a few years and Gspurning was mostly good bar a few games towards the end of last year. It could be worse though, a lot worse. Bryan Meredith still gives me nightmares, especially that game against Portland.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Rookie

• Smurf wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:
    Smurf wrote:

LOL! Thanks for fixing that. :D
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• Wonder if Leo will be back for today. I thought he was close to being healthy.

EDIT: No Leo, but Traore is back.

Same exact starting XI as last match except Traore is on for Scott.

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• Digging ourselves into a hole early again. Maybe we'll just never have a clean sheet.

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• razgriz737 wrote:Digging ourselves into a hole early again. Maybe we'll just never have a clean sheet.

I don't think they'll be able to come back and win this time.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• Jesus, this is embarrassing.

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• razgriz737 wrote:Jesus, this is embarrassing.

I agree. The defense is horrible, even worse than normal. Think I'm gonna switch over to the Free Stream of the Week at mlssoccer.com.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Wow lol. This is like a car crash. I can't look away.

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• I will say watching this RSL @ Houston game makes me appreciate the support the Sounders get. A Sunday afternoon match against a quality opponent with beautiful weather and the stadium is maybe 1/3 full.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• This is the first match without Ross Fletcher commentating. Coincedence?

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• That was a shocker.

I love Yedlin and want him to succeed but he needs dropped for a run of games. Been really poor this year.

Same applies to Evans- either drop him or play him in his correct frickin position to get his confidence/form back up.

I don't know what we do about central defence. Either start making changes or change the system so our midfield doesn't leave as many gaps to expose them.

Frei isn't any improvement on Gspurning, probably worse.

I've said for weeks that the defence is struggling and was bailed out by Dempsey, Martins, Cooper, Neagle. This was the week that stopped happening and it showed big time. A combination of keystone cops defending and some good New England finishing.

We need to nip this in the bud now and win our next game. If our heads go down I fear a repeat of last years collapse.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Rookie

• Glasgow Seahawk wrote:That was a shocker.

I love Yedlin and want him to succeed but he needs dropped for a run of games. Been really poor this year.

Same applies to Evans- either drop him or play him in his correct frickin position to get his confidence/form back up.

I don't know what we do about central defence. Either start making changes or change the system so our midfield doesn't leave as many gaps to expose them.

Frei isn't any improvement on Gspurning, probably worse.

I've said for weeks that the defence is struggling and was bailed out by Dempsey, Martins, Cooper, Neagle. This was the week that stopped happening and it showed big time. A combination of keystone cops defending and some good New England finishing.

We need to nip this in the bud now and win our next game. If our heads go down I fear a repeat of last years collapse.

If you Drop Yedlin you are looking at Evans or Scott at RB...not sure I want either of those right now. I'd rather help Yedlin through his growing pains.

Evans was forced into left back duty again due to injuries of Dylan Remick and Leo Gonzalez (who was not fit enough to go 90). Not ideal to play LB...

It's too early in the season to be talking about a similar collapse to last year...

Don't get me wrong, I was REALLY, REALLY pissed during the game.

I don't like Stephan Frei. I didn't like the signing. To me, he's not good enough, and never has been good enough to be the Sounders keeper...but he's the guy we have right now. I don't think we let in 5 if we have Gspurning. I really don't.

But that's not all of my problem...its not just the keeper....To me this was a horribly miss managed game. This was Sigi strait up losing us a point, IMO. 3rd game in 9 days, and 9 of the 11 played in all three games....our squad is deep and we didn't use it. Why are we forcing Pineda to play 270 minutes in 9 days when he's coming off an ACL surgery? Why are we forcing Neagle to run ragged on the wings. Its Just not needed. Sigi rested ONE player during this stretch and that was Traore...Our club is deep enough that we could have seen more rotation than that. I mean, I know you all hate Andy Rose...but THIS IS THE GAME YOU USE HIM IN. On the road, in a short week. Yeah. A draw has to be the mission there. Save Pineda, play Rose. He'll work hard for you on defense.

Just not enough rotation in the squad for me...

The Squad looked gassed, and after the 3rd one they looked like they didn't want to run for one another anymore.

/Rant

and yes...this is the first time I have been openly negative about Sigi. He F'd up today.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• razgriz737 wrote:This is the first match without Ross Fletcher commentating. Coincedence?

What happened to Ross Fletcher? Did I miss something? Is he no longer with the Sounders?
    ...and with one kiss of his bicep he proved, without a shadow of doubt, that he was every bit as much of a DBag as his coach, and most of his team's fanbase. Finally, he could call himself a Niner!
    Trenchbroom
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*
    *SILVER SUPPORTER*

PreviousNext

It is currently Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:17 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information