Sounders Season Thread ***YEDLIN SOLD***

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
  • Sigi's "inspiring" speech in the trailer sounds more like Chris Farley's van-down-by-the-river character
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

• Absolutely buzzing to go to the game tomorrow, first of the season. Downside I have to take my 8 month old son. I suppose i'm starting him young. Hoping for a comfortable win tomorrow after that Montreal game.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Starter

• Well....that sucked...

Gave away another 3 points.

On to Portland (who are at the moment worse off).
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Traore cost us that game. He is a liability, always has been. Two good games, one disaster is usually the pattern of his career. We were flying before that penalty and having to take Cooper off disrupted us big time. Traore should be a squad player, nothing more. Hopefully Anibaba gets a run now.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Starter

• Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Traore cost us that game. He is a liability, always has been. Two good games, one disaster is usually the pattern of his career. We were flying before that penalty and having to take Cooper off disrupted us big time. Traore should be a squad player, nothing more. Hopefully Anibaba gets a run now.

I disagree with you about Traore. Haven't seen the play, but seeing it live. I'm not so sure it should have been a red card. Looked like advantage was given and the shot was taken...to me its a yellow and a PK at most. Again, haven't seen it but from my view in the stands.

I'll report back after I watch it again tomorrow.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Crap.

Loved our form before the PK anyway.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• Smurf wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Traore cost us that game. He is a liability, always has been. Two good games, one disaster is usually the pattern of his career. We were flying before that penalty and having to take Cooper off disrupted us big time. Traore should be a squad player, nothing more. Hopefully Anibaba gets a run now.

I disagree with you about Traore. Haven't seen the play, but seeing it live. I'm not so sure it should have been a red card. Looked like advantage was given and the shot was taken...to me its a yellow and a PK at most. Again, haven't seen it but from my view in the stands.

I'll report back after I watch it again tomorrow.

I haven't saw it since the game but regardless, he got himself in a position where the ref had to make a decision. Chances are the Frei would have at least got a touch to it, given the way he was playing. The warning signs were there earlier in the game when he got caught napping for the chance Columbus hit the post. He is a good back up player to have but he's 34 now and i'm much rather see Anibaba get a run.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Starter

• razgriz737 wrote:Crap.

Loved our form before the PK anyway.

Agreed, we were just unlucky not to take our chances. The red card and having to take Cooper off messed with our flow.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Starter

• MLS has the worst officiating ever. That was a BS red card. No way Traore should have been ejected from that game. Secondly, the refs pooped it on the second goal too. None of players were ready because they were waiting for the refs decision on goal kick or corner kick. The refs were the reason the Sounders lost not Traore. The Sounders should have had at least 3 goals this game, they need to do a better job on finishing. Cooper's goal was a thing of beauty. Nice power.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• hawkfan68 wrote:MLS has the worst officiating ever. That was a BS red card. No way Traore should have been ejected from that game. Secondly, the refs pooped it on the second goal too. None of players were ready because they were waiting for the refs decision on goal kick or corner kick. The refs were the reason the Sounders lost not Traore. The Sounders should have had at least 3 goals this game, they need to do a better job on finishing. Cooper's goal was a thing of beauty. Nice power.

Jeez ever heard of internalizing? Teams can always think of a reason why some outside force caused them to lose, but the truly great one rest the blame squarely on themselves in times of loss and ask themselves what they could have done better to secure victory. Fact of the matter is the sounders could have and should have won that game.
    therealjohncarlson
    NET Veteran

• therealjohncarlson wrote:
    hawkfan68 wrote:MLS has the worst officiating ever. That was a BS red card. No way Traore should have been ejected from that game. Secondly, the refs pooped it on the second goal too. None of players were ready because they were waiting for the refs decision on goal kick or corner kick. The refs were the reason the Sounders lost not Traore. The Sounders should have had at least 3 goals this game, they need to do a better job on finishing. Cooper's goal was a thing of beauty. Nice power.

Jeez ever heard of internalizing? Teams can always think of a reason why some outside force caused them to lose, but the truly great one rest the blame squarely on themselves in times of loss and ask themselves what they could have done better to secure victory. Fact of the matter is the sounders could have and should have won that game.

Yes, the Sounders should have won that game. That still doesn't excuse the officiating in the MLS. It is horrendous. Allen Chapman is the worst of all MLS refs and the others aren't that much better. Bad officiating can cost teams 3 points. It did on Saturday, IMO.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• Ref's make bad calls. It's rare to have two in the same game with such large impact...but it happens. It sucks.

That being said, officiating in the league this season has been sub-par IMO. The double red card in the Portland-FC Dallas game was about the most absurd thing I've seen.

League wide it needs to be addressed. This is not a Sounders only issue. The ref's have a big impact on how the game is played and IMO better refs will lead to a better product on the field.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• This game is insanity.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• Yedlin is a liability in defense right now. And the midfield continues to commit lazy turnovers.
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• This game's turning out just fine.

About time the Timbers found the net.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Anibaba is absolutely terrible. He almost makes me miss Hurtado.
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• How is it that Seattle can get rid of such liabilities as Hurtado, Ianni, and Joseph, and be even worse on defense?
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Oh well, at least today our football and baseball teams are still better than those in Portland.
    Kennedyin92
    NET Rookie

• Hat trick baby! What a match!

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• Kennedyin92 wrote:Oh well, at least today our football and baseball teams are still better than those in Portland.

MMMM...this crow tastes good!! :thirishdrinkers:
    Kennedyin92
    NET Rookie

• Well, that was a huge letdown. Hell of a game, though.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Seattle had so many missed chances and unforced errors today. Good to see them fight back and get the draw, but they really should have won the match. They really missed Evans and Traore today.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• That might be the best Sounders/Timbers derby game to date. The soccer wasn't perfect, but its a Derby and perfect soccer almost goes out the window. Nutty things happen.

This game had everything.

Early goal(s), mistakes, chippy play, yellow cards, Will Johnson being an insufferable prick, Pineda playing dirty, a non goal off Yedlins face at the line, a PK, goals from distance, horrible defending, good defending, stuck in challenges, shots off the post, acres of space, late goals, hat tricks....

This game had everything and was very exciting to watch. As a neutral you have to be thrilled with a game like that. NBC Sports lucked out with that match.

As a Sounder we have some things to work on...I would have loved to have Traore for this match...I think we give up one less goal without Anibaba (and we probably don't score our first one). Pineda/Alonso/Azira had a rough time in midfield with Chara and co...Pineda got caught about 7 times in possession or chasing a dead end. On Chara's second blast Pineda had run down the keeper and hadn't got back into position leading Alonso with a TON of space to cover...Alonso took a bad angle and Chara was in space with no one willing to close down (Anibaba looked lost).

Defense was poor in general. Marshall and Gonzalez had decent games...Marshall unlucky not to score. Anibaba only stood out with his assist early, and then in negative plays along the back. I think this was a poor game to give him his first start. If I'm Sigi I play Zach Scott next to Marshall...He knows the rivalry and wont be overwhelmed by the situation as it seemed Anibaba was.

Yedlin had a below average game. Part of Portlands game plan was to attack Yedlin. They pinned Nagbe on him and overlapped relentlessly with Harrington....add that the fact that Yedlin had no one in front of him to help (Cooper was 100% an attacker. Offered nothing in defense). I thought Yedlin had a better second half.

It seems to me that this team needs to play the 4-4-1-1

Oba up top, Deuce in behind, Neagle, Pineda, Alonso, Evans in the middle and Leo, Traore, Marshall and Yedlin in the back. It gives good balance to both the attack and defense.

tl;dr: Hell of a game.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• What a fantastic match. I have already watched it twice.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

• Great game for the neutral! Given I would have bitten your hand off for a draw at 4-2 down i'll take it but at the end we should have won the game. The 4-3-3 worked in the sense that it provided us with chances. However, Portland also exposed the weaknesses of it. Yedlin was getting burned all game as he was doubled up on and had no protection from Cooper who was up attacking. The midfield were also getting overran leaving central defence exposed. With Pineda having a poor game with mistakes. My criticism of Sigi is that he took too long to make changes, causing us to ship 4 goals and probably lucky not to concede more. When he made the changes, they worked after 5/10 minutes and we got 2 goals back and should have won with Martins header and the deflection.

Huge kudos to Dempsey- the Dempsey we all expected has finally shown up and that makes me delighted!

Worried about Anibaba. I thought Traore could have bad games but he backed off far too much at times (although he played a huge hand in the first goal). God I miss Parke :(

Portlands goals were great finishes!
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Starter

• MLS Players Union released the Player Salaries for this season (they do it a few times a year)..

Here is the direct link to the page: http://www.mlsplayers.org/files/April%2 ... 20Club.pdf

here it is for easy viewing:

Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Good lord, that was embarrassing.

If Seattle doesn't get some composure, they're going to lose someone to a red card tonight.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Wow, that was a beautiful free kick from Dempsey.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Not sure what Neagle was thinking there. Also, not a fan of Cooper out wide.
    Spounge84
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• Oh Yedlin...

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• Yedlin is an absolute disaster in defense. They should seriously consider moving him to a midfield position and get him off the back line.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Sounders haven't been able to sustain any kind of attack so far.
    Spounge84
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• Halftime change I want to see, take Neagle off before he picks up his second yellow, move Yedlin up to a wide midfield position, and bring on Remick to take Yedlin's spot on the back line.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• What a shot by Dempsey there.

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• Perfect give and go. So glad Dempsey has finally caught fire.

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• Ugly win, but a win nonetheless.

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• razgriz737 wrote:Ugly win.

There is no such thing as an ugly win; especially on the road.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

• Wow! Dempsey's on fire - 5 goals the last two games. Nice! I've been on travel overseas so haven't been able to keep up on here regularly but had a small break so I checked in on the games against the Timbers and FC Dallas. Dempsey almost had another hat trick against FC Dallas. Just incredible play. On the other hand, I'm not too pleased with Frei in goal. He's a significant downgrade from Gspurning (even the less than stellar Gspurning is better, IMO). He is giving up too many goals on unforced errors. Good thing the scoring is up from the Sounders side otherwise, they would be in deep trouble.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• I'm having a lot of fun this season. The games have certainly been exciting.

And I'm loving the Martins/Dempsey pairing. This is going to be a killer combination all year. And hopefully when Evans gets back the Sounders will be a little better defensively in the midfield.
    Tall men come down to my height when I hit 'em in the body.

Jack Dempsey
    Fuzzman55
    NET Veteran

• SeatownJay wrote:Yedlin is an absolute disaster in defense. They should seriously consider moving him to a midfield position and get him off the back line.

Really Jay?

Dude, back off from the ledge. Yedlin is playing decent. Some games he's been our best player.

He is under a lot of pressure on Defense right now due to the formation. He's got next to no cover in front of him. Playing Cooper at RM means that he's not gonna do much defending, he's being played out of position. It works some times during the game...and others its just asking for trouble. Portland attacked this weakness all game. Yedlin was last ditch defending in the 3rd minute of that match. When he has some decent cover (Evans, Neagle) he plays better not only on Defense, but he gets into the attack more.

Sigi, if you are going to insist on playing Cooper out of position on the flank, please put him on the left where Leo is. Leo is less likely to bomb forward and leave a whole side of the field open.

The problem is not Yedlin playing on the backline vs midfield, its a problem with the the tactics.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• hawkfan68 wrote:Wow! Dempsey's on fire - 5 goals the last two games. Nice! I've been on travel overseas so haven't been able to keep up on here regularly but had a small break so I checked in on the games against the Timbers and FC Dallas. Dempsey almost had another hat trick against FC Dallas. Just incredible play. On the other hand, I'm not too pleased with Frei in goal. He's a significant downgrade from Gspurning (even the less than stellar Gspurning is better, IMO). He is giving up too many goals on unforced errors. Good thing the scoring is up from the Sounders side otherwise, they would be in deep trouble.

Frei is exactly what I thought he was....and thats not a good thing. I wouldn't be surprised if Frei was a one year player for us.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Smurf wrote:
    SeatownJay wrote:Yedlin is an absolute disaster in defense. They should seriously consider moving him to a midfield position and get him off the back line.

Really Jay?

Dude, back off from the ledge. Yedlin is playing decent. Some games he's been our best player.

He is under a lot of pressure on Defense right now due to the formation. He's got next to no cover in front of him. Playing Cooper at RM means that he's not gonna do much defending, he's being played out of position. It works some times during the game...and others its just asking for trouble. Portland attacked this weakness all game. Yedlin was last ditch defending in the 3rd minute of that match. When he has some decent cover (Evans, Neagle) he plays better not only on Defense, but he gets into the attack more.

Sigi, if you are going to insist on playing Cooper out of position on the flank, please put him on the left where Leo is. Leo is less likely to bomb forward and leave a whole side of the field open.

The problem is not Yedlin playing on the backline vs midfield, its a problem with the the tactics.

I didn't think Yedlin had his best game. Part of the problem is that Cooper on the wing gives him zero protection but he got burned a number of times the last game but he also made some mistakes period. It happens but he is still really young and will make the odd mistake while young. It's asking a lot for a second year player to play without any protection in front of him. Thought Neagle had a poor game as well and was lucky to stay on the park.

Kudos to Dempsey, had a great game! We are going to suffer big time come the world cup. Pappa did okay when he came on. I think/hope the defence improves when Evans comes back, especially if he plays in the midfield beside Ozzy.

It was a good win, we don't normally do well in Texas. We need to stop giving teams a goal or two head start though, the first goal was a disaster and really poor goal keeping- wind or not you adjust your timing to catch the ball accordingly or don't let it bounce. Thought Frei did better after it though.

Surely we beat Chivas!
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Starter

• Smurf wrote:
    SeatownJay wrote:Yedlin is an absolute disaster in defense. They should seriously consider moving him to a midfield position and get him off the back line.

Really Jay?

I agree with Smurf. I was a proponent of moving Yedlin to the midfield. However, I've eased my stance on that. 1) Yedlin is one of the better defenders on the team, the defense has virtually no depth. What player would you replace him with and consider it an upgrade? I can't think of one player on the team at this time that would do better. 2) He is still very young. This is his 2nd year. He has a big upside. 3) I believe tactics are the reason. Sigi uses his players out of position a lot. Sometimes it works but lately often it hasn't. Cooper should be on top not at wing.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• Man, Neagle got an absolute gift of a goal.
    Spounge84
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*
    *TOP 5 SUPPORTER*

• Good win! Can't wait for Chivas to be out of this league for good- it looked like we had more fans than they did! They add nothing to MLS. Rather than have a second LA team (they couldn't support two football teams never mind two soccer teams), i'd rather they just relocated them to Atlanta, NY or Orlando than expand the league. There are a few times this could be said for rather than expansion.

Apart from a dodgy opening we dominated that game. Seemed a weak penalty claim but still a bit rash form Ozzy. Once Chivas got the red card, they stopped trying to play football and tried to kick us off the park after the winner. If I was Sigi I would have taken Martins and Dempsey off to protect them after the winner.

Thought Neagle had a good game. Dempsey and Martins are a joy to watch at the moment.

Yedlin had a better game but is still making mistakes. Hopefully he gets back on track.

We need to stop giving away stupid goals and concentrate for the full 90 minutes at the back. Frei's great save late in the game saved us losing 2 points which would have been highly undeserved. I thought the Columbus game was warning enough not to lose concentration but apparently not.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Starter

• Agreed, the Chivas re-branding can't come soon enough.

I'm really loving the Chad Marshall signing at the moment.

Dempsey and Martins are proving to be a great one-two punch. I love it.

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• I hope they move Chivas to San Diego or Sacramento.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• hawkfan68 wrote:
    Smurf wrote:

Really Jay?

I agree with Smurf. I was a proponent of moving Yedlin to the midfield. However, I've eased my stance on that. 1) Yedlin is one of the better defenders on the team, the defense has virtually no depth. What player would you replace him with and consider it an upgrade? I can't think of one player on the team at this time that would do better. 2) He is still very young. This is his 2nd year. He has a big upside. 3) I believe tactics are the reason. Sigi uses his players out of position a lot. Sometimes it works but lately often it hasn't. Cooper should be on top not at wing.

Yedlin and Eric Miller of Montreal are the future at right back (and possibly left if one can rotate over) for the USMNT. Moving Yedlin to midfield (in a 4-3-3? that would put him where Cooper now sits) is problematic for a variety of reasons, but most of all it puts him in the middle to attacking third as a starting position, which limits his ability to move up into the space created by the tucked in central mids and winger. If the Sounders played a 442 and Yedlin is out wide he then is trying to build into the attack deeper, but also further from his targets.

As I said back when the season started, Cooper out wide is a liability. Its not his fault, he just doesnt fit there. Doing a couple things right (that Smurf was quick to point out as a positive) didnt mask the gaps he left consistently. Honestly Dempsey out wide makes more sense for the team. Wing backs in a 4-3-3 (or whatever hybrid the team plays) need the protection of their wingers or they will get overloaded on the weak side. Asking a young player to make decisions in a 1v2 situation in the defending 3rd on a consistent basis will lead to trouble.

Anyways, Yedlin is an exciting player for the future, and I have a feeling if Sigi was to start tinkering with his position he may get a call from Klinsmann
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Sat Dec 20, 2014 10:57 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information