Sounders Season Thread ***YEDLIN SOLD***

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
  • In his first season....he makes a semis (and tears up the Sounders in nearly every game with a far less experienced team? That Caleb Porter?)
    You don't see the progressive style? You don't see the attack oriented play? Or four internationals unable to carry a two game tie?

    Jesus man...good luck to you.

    Toronto's cash expenditures come after a three year program development.. Google it.

    I've seen the Sounders academy. Its a start. All the MLS teams have one. Their spending is relative as its now a requirement. The Sounders may have foreign players in the Academy. The Timbers are one of 5 clubs with loanees in their system from big Euro clubs. I won't bore you with the advantages that will lead to.
    As for Sounders FC It routinely loses out on top talent to the local clubs around it ffs.... My xlub battles an NASL team for players and win. We shouldnt stand a chance against an MLS team. Instead of a collaborative effort it battles the other DAs. And despite its proximation to both BC and Asia has yet to establish a partnership with any Euro clubs

    The MLS is still a decade behind bigger leagues in terms of value and play. Some clubs are taking a wholistic approach to bringing their players up to the game instead of the game down to their players.

    Yedlins a nice home grown player. Sporting is set to send off three of its U18 DA players to Europe this summer, including Juventus.

    Failure to move into that symbiotic relationship will only leave the club reaching at the others

    But yeah...Timbers lost and Sporting foul
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5097
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • Hmm? They split the season series and let's face it the Sounders were in a terrible run of form at the end of the season. I won't get into the injuries or call ups. any decent team would have beat Seattle in the playoffs, the wheels had fallen off by that point. There is a reason this team needed to rebuild.

    I couldn't find anything on the three year plan. I'm not doubting Toronto's ambitions, I'm also not buying them as doing anything differently or better than Seattle and will not until they prove otherwise, they haven't won anything.

    Seattle's spending isn't exactly relative, they spend twice as much as most teams on their academy. Smurf probably knows the specifics better than I do but Seattle will own a lower league team in the near future. Having loanees from big clubs in your youth system? ok. It's a start but it doesn't exactly mean anything right now, I could say Seattle has the next Messi in their youth system but I can't prove it, just like you can't prove Portland is doing better than Seattle at developing youth.
    knownone
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 803
    Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:10 pm


  • Its not just ambition... Its structure.

    We will just see how it shakes out. I've been following Sounder soccer since I played in the Kingdome floor when I when I was 8. I see major developments in the league and soccer in general in this country. I work in it nearly full time with a Sporting affiliate. I see the progress, but more I see the ideas...the cooperation with Europe's finest.

    And to wrap it back around I just personally see Sigi as a reflection of staleness. I want to see more progressiveness in the Sounders. I can tell you as much as Smurf they're behind at the moment
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5097
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • Si, Let me start off with a warning. You have begun to treat those who disagree with you, like you treat Gate in the EPL thread. It's unwarranted. Ending your posts with jabs at myself and others is not cool. I know you probably didn't mean it, but thats how its coming off right now. Take a step back for a second. I honestly enjoy your opinion on the Sounders and whats going on.

    now, let me continue the conversation.

    1. Si, I know the majority of your apparent frustration stems from the fact you have been a Sounder since before I was born. You see the current Sounders as a Stagnation of the previous 5 Seasons, where I see it as a rebirth. Two very distinct, and opposite viewpoints.

    2. Caleb Porter is a good coach. He is who I wanted prior to Portland grabbing him. I was in the Sigi out crowd before it was cool....believe it or not. However, now Porter is Scum....and that brings me to:

    3. Using Portland as a reference for anything good, is not going to stick. I associate Portland with Methheads, the cause of Cancer, and all mental health related illness'. They are scum. I, flat out, as a biased Sounder will not acknowledge any accomplishments they achieve in any format. I am 100% biased in this, but their continued praise in this thread makes me sick and I would like it to stop. It certainly isn't making me like your arguments any better. They are Portland. Lets leave it at that.

    4. I personally don't want any ties to European side...I really don't. The idea is that the league will catch the rest of the world's top leagues in quality. That will happen with time, and continued development. That will not happen with European sides taking our player that we have developed. Michael Bradley, IMO, is the single biggest signing of this league since David Beckham. American players are wanting to play in MLS, and they are now getting paid appropriately to do so.

    5. Si is correct RE: Toronto. This has been coming. Their spending spree was a calculated and well Executed plan. The same man that brought Beckham to MLS is responsible for Defoe, Bradley, Gilberto and DeRo. I don't think they have enough to get it done this season. But in the future they will progress and be a very dangerous team.

    6. News coming out tonight that the MLS Ref strike is over. They should return to the field this weekend. Perhaps this will mean the Sounders get hacked less...or at least we see more cards for it...

    7. Seattle already owns and operates a PDL team (Sounders U-23) which allows academy products to play in a club oriented invironment whilst they also develop in college. Yedlin, Okoli and Kovar all played for that club in route to becoming first team players. That team is lead by Head Coach Darren Sawatzky.

    8. The Sounders will be entering the fray of the USL Pro (between MLS and PDL in terms of quality) in the near future. They will be joining in a similar fashion to what LA Galaxy are doing with Galaxy II. Of MLS Clubs ONLY the Galaxy have formed a USL Pro team on their own. Some clubs have become affiliated with existing USL Pro Clubs.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4343
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • I dont see the jabs Smurf. I havent called anyone names. Theres is an element of Gate in this thread though...

    "Portland is playing an innovative system"---Portland lost...Portland causes cancer and steals money from church boxes.

    "Sporting has a very organized structure for development"----they just foul....

    I mean come on

    MLS teams will have or already do have 7 and 8 Smurf. The PDL at this point serves as the MLS academy/reserve league (for its older players, the DA still serves for youth leagues. There are currently upwards of 56 teams in the PDL. Nearly double of 4 years ago). The use of the DA and PDL very much mirrors the standard set up in England. Note that this isnt new. The Sounders DA is 5 years old at least. The USL will serve as junior pro league if you will. Like arena football league, or more like the semi pro baseball teams (not minor leagues). If the MLS drew more talented players they would all associate with these teams. Truth is the USL (and NASL) doesn't offer much of a resource yet.

    3. Really? So Portlands off the table (Gate?) I doubt Sounders FC management shares your disdain.

    4....that's a bit naive. But you're welcome to your opinion. Europe is coming (hell, they're here). The relationship if embraced can only help progress the game in this nation. It needs to be looked at from a national perspective in my mind and not just a club one.

    I'd like to elaborate on this as i see this as why the Sigi thing really bothers me. I will say this, European and South American clubs are investing time, money, coaches and players into the MLS in a hopes that this league can stand as another resource for the world's best leagues. This isnt a bad thing. While the US may lose a dozen or so players a year in this relationship, what it gets back is exponential. City and Chelsea, for example, recently sent a couple highly touted youth players to the MLS as "loanees". They are playing at clubs in which their is already a coaching and developmental relationship. P*%!land is one of the clubs that embraces this (and I'm sure Caleb Porter is a main reason why). These players will help bring up the game at those clubs around them. As more of these players come over, the better the game gets. More competition, means more urgency at our youth levels. I think you would all be astonished at the level of coaching going on from u8-16. But, the gap in talent is massive.

    Its interesting that you view Bradley as the biggest move the MLS has ever made. I find it endemic of this same antiquated approach to the game as I do keeping Sigi around. Bradley epitomizes US Soccer. He may be our best current product. He's industrious, hard working, "dug in".... but he lacks the same technical abilities that a Jordan Henderson, Jack Wilshere, Ross Barkley (English players who fill the same role as Bradley in Englands side). In fact, he's not close. Bradley represents both the success and failure of the US set up. Dempsey is our most technical player, and is nowhere near the level of his European counterparts. He's had a couple nice goal scoring years with Fulham, very true. But this nations soccer programs have yet to develop a world class player. watching our best slink back home is somewhat defeating, especially with a World cup approaching.

    It will be very interesting to watch us with Germany and Portugal. Germany's youth development surpassed even the Spanish over the last 8 years. This is their golden generation(s). I look forward to watching us try and compete with them. Heck, they have players like Max Meyer, Draxler, Goetze who at 18, 20 and 21 are already light years ahead of any dynamic player this nation has ever produced. Ony Goetze would be considered for the first 11 in Germany, such is the depth of their program.

    anyways... i hope my angst towards Sigi makes sense. I guess I use his approach as a reflection of the same staleness I feel soccer in this country needs to move away from. We've had 30 years of the same and seemed content with its rewards. however, the investment in the youth programs require a vastly different approach at the Senior levels, or we are just wasting our time.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5097
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • So you don't like Sigi because he's not European? Seriously the guy is one of the best at developing young talent in this league. This isn't Europe, Sigi should be judged for the product on the field, not your micro-analyzing of USA soccer as a whole.

    Developing the lower leagues and bringing in talent like Michael Bradley does as much or more for competition and development than bringing in a few highly touted European youngsters.
    knownone
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 803
    Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:10 pm


  • knownone wrote:So you don't like Sigi because he's not European? Seriously the guy is one of the best at developing young talent in this league. This isn't Europe, Sigi should be judged for the product on the field, not your micro-analyzing of USA soccer as a whole.

    Developing the lower leagues and bringing in talent like Michael Bradley does as much or more for competition and development than bringing in a few highly touted European youngsters.



    Thats what you got from all that?

    christ on a bike....

    I've watched the Sounders under Sigi get thumped the last couple years. we are watching teams pass the Sounders by, technically and tactically... nothing to do with Europe (is Caleb Porter European?)

    forget it. keep your head where it is and keep the excuses. honestly could care less at this point. Done repeating myself to you, you're not reading anyways
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5097
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • Uncle Si wrote:
    knownone wrote:So you don't like Sigi because he's not European? Seriously the guy is one of the best at developing young talent in this league. This isn't Europe, Sigi should be judged for the product on the field, not your micro-analyzing of USA soccer as a whole.

    Developing the lower leagues and bringing in talent like Michael Bradley does as much or more for competition and development than bringing in a few highly touted European youngsters.



    Thats what you got from all that?

    christ on a bike....

    English a second language then?

    forget it. keep your head where it is

    What am I supposed to take away from that? You're rambling incoherently, drawing a wide range of conclusions as to why you don't like Sigi, because he represents what you perceive is wrong with US soccer as a whole. Am I wrong?
    knownone
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 803
    Joined: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:10 pm


  • What didnt you understand? What was too incoherent for you? That the topic went deeper than just Sigi? To the Sounders as an organization? to soccer as a sport in this country? Was that too "broad" for you? Back when I compared Sigi's team to Calebs you so smartly pointed out that Portland lost their next round.... brilliant juice. does it somehow take away from Sigi getting outcoached, again? Despite the ridiculousness of that we carried on...

    But on his own, he's been shown the door in major competitions the last three years. His team was trounced its last time out in CONCACAF... but somehow one success despite regular beatings is a good thing? he's made little tactical adjustments to his team, and this offseason brought in Kenny Cooper, where he has him out wide. His midfield has made little to no adaptations or development in the last 3 years. he runs the same versions of a 442 that he has done since he got here. This is where the whole conversation started. its Sigi's constant inability to think other than one way.

    Sigi does represent what I think is wrong with soccer in this country. (the perception is quite wide, for those that do more than watch). No, its not Europe... Caleb Porter isnt from Europe either is he? Its purely American. The rest of it was to show how far the league is going in developing itself, and how far behind the Sounders are in that (what lower leagues are you on about? The PDL? All MLS teams have a PDL team. USL? they dont even have a team there)

    My point is he doesnt add anything new to a team that cant get to the next level. You can keep pointing to near misses, Open Cups and his past. More power to you. I think he's stale. I thought i "coherently" pointed out examples as to why. get gems like "Portland lost" and "Sporting fouls" and "Toronto just spent money"
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5097
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • we will just agree to disagree at this point.

    I dont like Sigi. I didnt like Holmgren at the end of his tenure.

    Sometimes things get too stale. Thats how I feel the Sounders are over the last couple years. Nothing done in the offseason made me think differently.

    I'll keep pulling for them.
    Last edited by Uncle Si on Thu Mar 20, 2014 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5097
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • Don't feel bad, Si. I'm a Sounders fan and I don't like Sigi or the direction of the club either. I just know that it's pointless to argue about it with some people.
    Image
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    User avatar
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 6525
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:38 pm
    Location: Hagerstown, MD


  • Uncle Si wrote:I dont see the jabs Smurf. I havent called anyone names. Theres is an element of Gate in this thread though...

    "Portland is playing an innovative system"---Portland lost...Portland causes cancer and steals money from church boxes.

    "Sporting has a very organized structure for development"----they just foul....

    I mean come on

    MLS teams will have or already do have 7 and 8 Smurf. The PDL at this point serves as the MLS academy/reserve league (for its older players, the DA still serves for youth leagues. There are currently upwards of 56 teams in the PDL. Nearly double of 4 years ago). The use of the DA and PDL very much mirrors the standard set up in England. Note that this isnt new. The Sounders DA is 5 years old at least. The USL will serve as junior pro league if you will. Like arena football league, or more like the semi pro baseball teams (not minor leagues). If the MLS drew more talented players they would all associate with these teams. Truth is the USL (and NASL) doesn't offer much of a resource yet.

    3. Really? So Portlands off the table (Gate?) I doubt Sounders FC management shares your disdain.

    4....that's a bit naive. But you're welcome to your opinion. Europe is coming (hell, they're here). The relationship if embraced can only help progress the game in this nation. It needs to be looked at from a national perspective in my mind and not just a club one.

    I'd like to elaborate on this as i see this as why the Sigi thing really bothers me. I will say this, European and South American clubs are investing time, money, coaches and players into the MLS in a hopes that this league can stand as another resource for the world's best leagues. This isnt a bad thing. While the US may lose a dozen or so players a year in this relationship, what it gets back is exponential. City and Chelsea, for example, recently sent a couple highly touted youth players to the MLS as "loanees". They are playing at clubs in which their is already a coaching and developmental relationship. P*%!land is one of the clubs that embraces this (and I'm sure Caleb Porter is a main reason why). These players will help bring up the game at those clubs around them. As more of these players come over, the better the game gets. More competition, means more urgency at our youth levels. I think you would all be astonished at the level of coaching going on from u8-16. But, the gap in talent is massive.

    Its interesting that you view Bradley as the biggest move the MLS has ever made. I find it endemic of this same antiquated approach to the game as I do keeping Sigi around. Bradley epitomizes US Soccer. He may be our best current product. He's industrious, hard working, "dug in".... but he lacks the same technical abilities that a Jordan Henderson, Jack Wilshere, Ross Barkley (English players who fill the same role as Bradley in Englands side). In fact, he's not close. Bradley represents both the success and failure of the US set up. Dempsey is our most technical player, and is nowhere near the level of his European counterparts. He's had a couple nice goal scoring years with Fulham, very true. But this nations soccer programs have yet to develop a world class player. watching our best slink back home is somewhat defeating, especially with a World cup approaching.

    It will be very interesting to watch us with Germany and Portugal. Germany's youth development surpassed even the Spanish over the last 8 years. This is their golden generation(s). I look forward to watching us try and compete with them. Heck, they have players like Max Meyer, Draxler, Goetze who at 18, 20 and 21 are already light years ahead of any dynamic player this nation has ever produced. Ony Goetze would be considered for the first 11 in Germany, such is the depth of their program.

    anyways... i hope my angst towards Sigi makes sense. I guess I use his approach as a reflection of the same staleness I feel soccer in this country needs to move away from. We've had 30 years of the same and seemed content with its rewards. however, the investment in the youth programs require a vastly different approach at the Senior levels, or we are just wasting our time.



    Said Jabs didn't come in the form of insults...How you've ended your last 5 or so posts have been along the same lines...and I get it, you're frustrated because you don't think people are listening to your completely valid points.


    USA Soccer as a whole. For the most part you're right. We aren't on par with other countries youth development systems. But we are getting there....it just appears to be slower than you'd like...which may be a byproduct of how long you've been personally pushing for such development of the system. You see the progress, you just want it to move faster, and with your experience you see a general pattern in which it needs to be done to ensure success. That's what I've taken from the "Broad US Soccer" conversation from you. You see the progression. You like it. It's slower than you'd hoped.

    For me, I would take Bradley over Barkley everyday of the week...Henderson most days...and not even close on Wilshere. But thats just me.

    Yeah, when it comes to Portland, I am Gate. Yep. 100% I'll admit to it. You should know that by now.




    I guess Overall I see your point.

    Sigi is Old world MLS living in new world MLS and is, in your opinion, holding back one of the biggest clubs in the league from future success...and while he's at it he is also hindering the development of our youth system.

    It's not happening fast enough.



    Did i get that right?
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4343
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • Just saw on my Seahawks app that the Sounders FC business operations will become independent from Seahawks beginning April 30, 2014. Not sure if anyone really cares, but just thought I'd put it out there for those interested who may not know.
    Image

    :les: Check your PM's....We miss you :les:
    User avatar
    kidhawk
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 14017
    Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:00 pm
    Location: Anchorage, AK


  • kidhawk wrote:Just saw on my Seahawks app that the Sounders FC business operations will become independent from Seahawks beginning April 30, 2014. Not sure if anyone really cares, but just thought I'd put it out there for those interested who may not know.



    Yep, Part owner and GM Adrian Hanauer said: "It's time to take the training wheels off."
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4343
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • Yeah Smurf...that sums it up well..

    You'd really take Bradley over Henderson/Barkley/Wilshere?
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5097
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • I'd take Bradley over Barkley.

    It's a toss up between Henderson and Bradley.

    and I'd take Wilshere every day of the week and twice on sunday.

    I'd take Ramsey over Bradley too.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4343
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • FYI, Tomorrows game has been postponed due to unsafe conditions for the fans due to snow accumulation on the roof. The game will be played Sunday at 1pm. The game will be on JoeTV locally.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4343
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • Dempsey's received a two-match ban for violent conduct.
    Image
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    User avatar
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *
     
    Posts: 6525
    Joined: Sun Mar 04, 2007 5:38 pm
    Location: Hagerstown, MD


  • SeatownJay wrote:Dempsey's received a two-match ban for violent conduct.



    Shocker.

    :sarcasm_off:
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4343
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • anyone interested in doing a .NET chat during tomorrows game?
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4343
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • I might, if I stay at home to watch it rather than a bar. As for the Sigi talk above, i've already said I think he is yesterdays man and should have went last year. However, the owners have given him a years stay of execution and a make or break season and I will keep backing the team. We are only two games in and have played two decent teams, so lets give it time. Talk about it again in say 10-15 games time and see where we are at. Portland are struggling in their first 3 game, but you have to think they will turn it around as well.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 277
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


  • Also Dempsey is an idiot for the ball slap. So stupid!
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Rookie
     
    Posts: 277
    Joined: Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:57 pm


  • Keep an eye out for Impact right back Eric Miller today...might start, may come off the bench. Minnesota kid... Played with Cody Cropper (Southampton keeper) at our DA. Coached against both often.

    Happy for the lad. Has seen some time with the U-21 national team. Now probably battling Yedlin for future spots there
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5097
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • I'm in the net Chat if anyone wants to join me!
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4343
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • Sounders up early, and getting hacked at a TON....
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4343
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • Smurf wrote:Sounders up early, and getting hacked at a TON....


    Funny..fouls are 6-5
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5097
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • I said hacked Si, not fouled. Montreal was physical in the opening 15 or so. Calmed down a lot. Camara himself has had 4 of those 6...Surprised hes not on a yellow yet.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4343
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • What do you think of the sounders 4-3-3 today?
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4343
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • Smurf wrote:I said hacked Si, not fouled. Montreal was physical in the opening 15 or so. Calmed down a lot. Camara himself has had 4 of those 6...Surprised hes not on a yellow yet.


    Thanks for the lesson... Physical play isnt "hacks" (unless it happens to a Sounder i guess) I'm watching a pretty tepid match despite Impact trying to press.

    Miller looks good..maybe should have scored there

    I hate cooper out wide... That's what I think of the 433... Its cleaner though. Gives more room to Yedlin. He and Miller may be the most exciting players on the field at the moment
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5097
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • Lot of chippy unnecessary stuff from Montreal IMO. We've been given advantage at least 4 times thus far.

    Yedlin's not having a great game thus far. Miller has looked good. He and Mapp have been giving Remick some problems.

    Camara just got his yellow...it was coming.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4343
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • Up 1-0 at the half. Neagle looks to have picked up a knock. Possible he gets subbed at half.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4343
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • Not uncommon to keep pushing (its necessary Smurf...there's a line and players walk it until the ref suggests they've crossed it)


    That's the high press though. Leaves played scrambling. Little nicks when they miss the ball leave a message
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5097
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • Will be interesting to see if Camara's yellow impacts how Montreal defend. Maybe that will establish the line and the little kicks dissipate a tad.

    Sounders 4-3-3 seems to be doing well in keeping possession. Pineda and Alonso doing well in keeping the ball. Rose has been a bit invisible...which is good cause it means he's not actively pissing me off with stupid plays...

    Martin's seems to know Dempsey is not on the pitch and is taking the role of flashy touches.


    Cooper has played fairly well. Seems to have a good grasp on the pace of the game. Has made good choices on the counter attack when he's alone.

    Neagle has been good. A few too many touches on the ball, but he's been good in the offensive third. Dubious Goals Panel will decide if he has a goal or not (I dont think he does), and off the post once, and almost an assist to Martins.

    Yedlin and Remick are having extremely average games. Marshall and Traore seem solid. Traore has only been out of position a time or two.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4343
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • Miller with a mistake that leads to a Sounders goal.

    Good cross from Cooper on the cleanup. Oba gets a header in. 2-0.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4343
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • Smash and grab game for the Sounders...Montreal really do deserve better from this game
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5097
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • Sounders have absorbed pressure well all day. Montreal have been poor in the final third. Not enough quality from them. They've had plenty of chances.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4343
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • Smurf wrote:Sounders have absorbed pressure well all day. Montreal have been poor in the final third. Not enough quality from them. They've had plenty of chances.


    That's what smash and grab means

    :)
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5097
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • Indeed.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4343
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • Woah, Traore gets off a fine Bicycle kick. Thought he had it for a second. Great form.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4343
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • 3 points on the road. On to the next!
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4343
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • Good win all around. Liking the new kits as well.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???


    2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    User avatar
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1677
    Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:12 pm
    Location: Spokane/Seattle


  • Bit unfortunate for Miller..outplayed his counterpart (really the only interesting thing to take from the match in my opinion). Missed a good chance. Hit the bar on another. Ran up the flanks.

    He's 20.. Good future. Both he and Yedlin. Interesting that Porter has had such an impact on both he and Yedlin as the USMNT tries to sort out their outside back for 2018..

    (Take a guess what position I occupied in college)
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5097
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • Nice win. Pappa didn't play...is he hurt? Surprising they used Rose. Good showing for team playing without Evans and Dempsey. When Evans and Dempsey come back, I believe the best lineup would be a 4-4-2. Martins and Cooper on top, then a midfield of Evans, Dempsey, Alonso, and Pappa, back line of Yedlin, Traore, Marshall, and Gonzalez.

    BTW, Did they sign Parsemain to a contract? Heard quite a bit about him in pre-season would like to see him get some playing time. Today would have been nice to put him in there late up 2-0.
    User avatar
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
     
    Posts: 3807
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 11:10 am
    Location: Sammamish, WA


  • Pappa was dropped to the bench for this one. Poor play last match the main reason. After 3 games I think our best 11 is a 4231 of Yedlin, Marshall, Traore, Remick, Pineda, Alonso, Evans, Dempsey, Neagle, Martin's.

    IMO that's how we should line up.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4343
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • hawkfan68 wrote:Nice win. Pappa didn't play...is he hurt? Surprising they used Rose. Good showing for team playing without Evans and Dempsey. When Evans and Dempsey come back, I believe the best lineup would be a 4-4-2. Martins and Cooper on top, then a midfield of Evans, Dempsey, Alonso, and Pappa, back line of Yedlin, Traore, Marshall, and Gonzalez.

    BTW, Did they sign Parsemain to a contract? Heard quite a bit about him in pre-season would like to see him get some playing time. Today would have been nice to put him in there late up 2-0.

    I can't find anything about Pappa being injured. I think he was just benched because he's been play so badly.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???


    2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    User avatar
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 1677
    Joined: Mon Oct 22, 2012 4:12 pm
    Location: Spokane/Seattle



  • Interesting data compiled over 2-3 games?
    Is that possible
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5097
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • Uncle Si wrote:Interesting data compiled over 2-3 games?
    Is that possible



    Yeah, its early. Will be interesting to see where we are at say, 10 games in.
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4343
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


  • Smurf wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:Interesting data compiled over 2-3 games?
    Is that possible



    Yeah, its early. Will be interesting to see where we are at say, 10 games in.


    And not having played the two most fouling clubs...

    Numbers seem a little skewed to make any assumptions outside TFC and SKC foul a lot
    User avatar
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran
     
    Posts: 5097
    Joined: Sat Mar 03, 2007 8:34 am


  • Not sure if I had shared these or not.

    But Levy Films is doing a weekly show online about the Sounders called In The 18. It's got player interviews, looks at practice, and game highlights. The feel of the episodes echos that of the documentary he did about the 2011-12 Sounders. That documentary follows the team immedietely following their crushing defeat away at RSL in the playoffs (they lost 3-0) all the way up until their defeat against LA in the second round of the playoffs the following year. Its a really good documentary. I own it on Blu-Ray.

    Here is the trailer for the documentary:



    and you can watch the whole documentary here for $8.99. It's a little over 3 hours long (206 minutes): http://vimeo.com/ondemand/americanfootball/52795082


    Here are the episodes thus far of In The 18:

    Episode 1 (23:22):


    Episode 2 (30:05):
    Embedding is disabled so watch here: http://levyllc.com/inthe18ep2/


    Episode 3 (13:40):
    Embedding is disable so watch here: http://levyllc.com/ssfc-tfc/
    Image
    Man up, stand in line.
    User avatar
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *
     
    Posts: 4343
    Joined: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:08 am
    Location: Brier, WA


PreviousNext


It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 10:16 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]




Information
  • Who is online
  • Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests