Sounders Season Thread ***YEDLIN SOLD***

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
Sounders Season Thread ***YEDLIN SOLD***
Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:57 am
  • Out:
    RM Mauro Rosales (Traded to Chivas USA)
    LM Steve Zakuani (Drafted by Portland Timbers in Re-Entry Draft)
    LB Marc Burch (Drafted by Colorado Rapids in Re-Entry Draft)
    CM Adam Moffat (Traded to FC Dallas)
    GK Michael Gspurning (Club Declined Option/Player Declined Reduced Salary)
    CM Blair Gavin (Unselected in Re-Entry Draft)
    ST Eddie Johnson (Traded to DC United for Allocation Money - A lot of it)
    CB Patrick Ianni (Traded to Chicago Fire for Jalil Anibaba)
    CB Jhon Kennedy Hurtado (Traded to Chicago Fire for Jalil Anibaba)
    CM Shalrie Joseph (Not in Clubs plans, Buy out imminent)
    CM Alex Caskey (Traded to DC United)
    ST Fredy Montero (Loaned to, then purchased by Sporting CP)

In:
    CB Chad Marshall (Trade from Columbus Crew)
    GK Stephen Frei (Trade from Toronto FC)
    ST Kenny Cooper (Trade from FC Dallas)
    ST Tristan Bowen (Trade from Chivas USA)
    ST Sean Okoli (Sounders FC Academy/Wake Forrest)
    MF Aaron Kovar (Sounders FC Academy/Stanford)
    ST Chad Barrett (Re-Entry Draft)
    CB Janil Anibaba (Trade from Chicago Fire)
    CB Damion Lowe (MLS Superdraft - 8th overall)
    MF Fabio Pereira (MLS Superdraft)
    MF Marco Pappa (MLS Allocation
    MF Gonzalo Pineda
    MF Michael Azira

Contract extensions:
    CM Brad Evans
    CM Osvaldo Alonso
    LB Leo Gonzalez
    GK Josh Ford
    GK Marcus Hahnemann (now official announced)
    FW Lamar Neagle

Loans:
    CAM Clint Dempsey (Fulham - loaned through February)
    ST Eriq Zavaleta (Chivas USA)
    CB Jimmy Ockford (New York Cosmos)
    Last edited by Smurf on Wed Aug 13, 2014 11:01 am, edited 34 times in total.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Which most likely means that Rosales and/or Martins won't be back next season. Since they need a DP spot for Alonso.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• Rosales may re-sign (I believe his contract is up) but it definitely won't be a DP contract.
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

• So, is Obafemi Martins good and worth keeping in real life? I ask because he is really good on FIFA '14. :lol:
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

--Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

• Smelly McUgly wrote:So, is Obafemi Martins good and worth keeping in real life? I ask because he is really good on FIFA '14. :lol:

He's very good when he plays...the problem is that he didn't play much last season.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• Re: Rosales

He is currently out of contract. If he Re-signs it WILL NOT be for DP money. He's just not worth that anymore.

Re: Martins

Who the hell knows whats going on there. Adrian has been quoted saying he sees Martins, Dempsey, Alonso, Evans and Yedlin being the core of this team....yet Martins was quoted in an Italian paper saying he feel's "Out of the loop in Seattle" and wants to play in Turkey. I have no idea whats going to happen there. Our track record with DP's isn't exactly stellar. That said, Martins is a good enough player, and he has proved it when he's on the field...but the 15 months of constant football caught up with him at the end of the season.

In other news it was announced today that Orlando City will be joining MLS in 2015 as the 21st team (New York City FC will be #20 in 2014). There is also a press conference coming from San Antonio tomorrow...not sure what thats about...I'd be surprised if they announced #22 a day later. Also keep in mind that the Miami David Beckhams are only a few years from being a real thing as well.

Soccer in America is growing really, really close to the point where a Promotion/Relegation could, in theory, be potentially viable....but that is a very very hot button issue.

Regardless of all of that, We will be having back-to-back expansion drafts yet again (I assume) at the end of 2013, and 2014.

In related news there has been rumors floating around of a 4th DP slot opening up to teams. I'd imagine that would be heavily linked to a jump in Salary cap space as well (which the Sounders DESPERATELY need).

Interesting stuff happening in American Soccer these days.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• I want to assert this is not an anti-MLS rant, more of a concern for its safety. I now have three players Ive worked with in the past in the MLS (two in reserves but still). as a coach, i want this league to succeed as it helps promote the sport at the younger ages.

there are already 4 too many teams in the MLS. adding more will water down an already watered down product. This isnt a reflection of soccer "growing" (there has never been an issue with participation numbers, and it is quite obvious that viewership is on the rise... soccer the sport is more popular than the NBA and NHL) as much as it is believing that these cities can sustain this version of the product.

this is a dangerous precipice the MLS is looking over. They have decided to take on the NBA and NHL (once the scheduling changes take place) in the markets these cities do well in (Miami, San Antonio are basketball cities). They believe they can sustain interest against these other sports without the star power (or even mediocre talent to be fair) the other leagues have. to me, this is where the MLS needs to rethink its approach to the players it brings in.

I had mentioned this earlier, and I believe it needs mentioning again... the MLS needs the backing of the world's bigger clubs if its going to succeed. Call it a "minor league" if you want to disparage it, but until these cities show the sustainability and interest in the sport that other B leagues in the world have shown their is always the danger the league will fail (again). 90% of the USMNT play outside the MLS. The highest tier of young players on the USMNT are "recruits" from other nations (mostly Germany and Mexico). We are not producing enough young talent (like the other major European league host nations do) to sustain a competitive league of 22-24 teams with domestic players. Getting the financial and tactical support of bigger clubs balance the MLS teams and also allow them access to exciting players. Barcelona and Real Madrid already employ B teams in the La Liga's 2nd league... imagine if Liverpool/United/City/Chelsea were loaning their starlets to their associated MLS teams for experience. to me Suso/Sterling/Ibe (Liverpool U21s) taking the field for the Sounders is far more exciting than Dempsey in his twilight.

Promotion/Relegation is a decade away in the MLS. they would not relegate a team without knowing the fan base would stick around long enough to maintain its financial balance. You can point to the Sounders and Timbers survival after the fall of the NASL, but think about the history of that. From 25-30K fans to 5-10K fans to 60K fans (for the Sounders). American (and its expatriates) soccer fans already view the top MLS teams as second to their favorite clubs (I get it Smurf, you dont, but you're part of the 2% and the numbers indicate that). How would they view these clubs if they suddenly fell from the top league of an already B league? I dont see it working.

just my thoughts...
    Last edited by Uncle Si on Wed Nov 20, 2013 10:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

• Speaking as a very casual fan that is just waiting to become a more involved soccer fan since we don't have a hockey team and since the NBA is forever dead to me no matter if some ghost of the Sonics franchise ever comes back...

...I think the quality of play is just night-and-day from the EPL, which I don't follow closely. I do see games on in bars, however, and man, those games are played at a ridiculous pace and with some great shots. I know that the EPL is the EPL and the MLS is still fledgling, but anything they could do to get some top-level players in their prime, or even some up-and-coming young players between the ages of 18-22, would be great.

I mean, I'm even playing FIFA and trying to get more of an understanding of the sport, the formations, etc., in that way, and as stupid as it sounds, it honestly makes me enjoy the game more as a viewer, but MLS games are hard to watch too regularly for me.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

--Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

• Looks like we signed Evans to a mult-year contract.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

2013 Adopt-a-rookie: #humblethug
    2014 Adopt-a-rookie: Kevin Norwood
    razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• Uncle Si wrote:I want to assert this is not an anti-MLS rant, more of a concern for its safety. I now have three players Ive worked with in the past in the MLS (two in reserves but still). as a coach, i want this league to succeed as it helps promote the sport at the younger ages.

there are already 4 too many teams in the MLS. adding more will water down an already watered down product. This isnt a reflection of soccer "growing" (there has never been an issue with participation numbers, and it is quite obvious that viewership is on the rise... soccer the sport is more popular than the NBA and NHL) as much as it is believing that these cities can sustain this version of the product.

this is a dangerous precipice the MLS is looking over. They have decided to take on the NBA and NHL (once the scheduling changes take place) in the markets these cities do well in (Miami, San Antonio are basketball cities). They believe they can sustain interest against these other sports without the star power (or even mediocre talent to be fair) the other leagues have. to me, this is where the MLS needs to rethink its approach to the players it brings in.

I had mentioned this earlier, and I believe it needs mentioning again... the MLS needs the backing of the world's bigger clubs if its going to succeed. Call it a "minor league" if you want to disparage it, but until these cities show the sustainability and interest in the sport that other B leagues in the world have shown their is always the danger the league will fail (again). 90% of the USMNT play outside the MLS. The highest tier of young players on the USMNT are "recruits" from other nations (mostly Germany and Mexico). We are not producing enough young talent (like the other major European league host nations do) to sustain a competitive league of 22-24 teams with domestic players. Getting the financial and tactical support of bigger clubs balance the MLS teams and also allow them access to exciting players. Barcelona and Real Madrid already employ B teams in the La Liga's 2nd league... imagine if Liverpool/United/City/Chelsea were loaning their starlets to their associated MLS teams for experience. to me Suso/Sterling/Ibe (Liverpool U21s) taking the field for the Sounders is far more exciting than Dempsey in his twilight.

Promotion/Relegation is a decade away in the MLS. they would not relegate a team without knowing the fan base would stick around long enough to maintain its financial balance. You can point to the Sounders and Timbers survival after the fall of the NASL, but think about the history of that. From 25-30K fans to 5-10K fans to 60K fans (for the Sounders). American (and its expatriates) soccer fans already view the top MLS teams as second to their favorite clubs (I get it Smurf, you dont, but you're part of the 2% and the numbers indicate that). How would they view these clubs if they suddenly fell from the top league of an already B league? I dont see it working.

just my thoughts...

Greath thoughts here Si. I don't disagree, but have some differing opinions.

I agree with you that the MLS is expanding at a rate that is too quick, and potentially unsustainable. I think a large portion of that is due to its unwillingness to acknowledge mistakes. Chivas USA should not be part of the MLS. Period. They have Zero fan support, their front office is a disaster, and this has not changed in 8+ years....That franchise is the worst in MLS and a feel terrible for the 3000 people that show up for their home games. I honestly do.

They should not have put another team in LA after the Galaxy. Period. The point of Chivas was to capitalize on the large hispanic populous in LA...well guess what, those fans are close enough to the boarder that it doesn't take a rocket scientist to follow the Mexican Premiera. They already have clubs they love, they don't need one close to home. I think MLS has failed on a large scale with that franchise and need to cut their losses. Move the team, or dissolve it.

The other thing that has bothered me about MLS expansion is the random focus they had on minor markets in the early 2000's. Colorado, Salt Lake, Columbus....These choices are bizarre to me. They seem to be working out now, but boy did they take a while.

I think the biggest failing the MLS has had was allowing the New York Red Bulls to put their arena outside of New York City. That is preposterous and their attendance has suffered for it. Now you are putting a second team in New York...whose stadium will actually be IN New York...I fear for that Red Bulls franchises sustainability. There is a direct correlation to Attendance numbers and the stadium's proximity to the downtown area. Seattle, Portland, LA, Montreal, Vancouver, Sporting KC, Houston, RSL, Philly....all these teams have their stadiums relatively close to the downtown area...It matters. I think that is something that is VERY, VERY important to consider with expansion.

You're mention of the larger clubs backing MLS teams is already sort of happening. RSL, Colorado and a few other clubs have "Ties" to European clubs like Arsenal, Juve, Man Utd....but New York City FC are taking that to another level. They are being backed by Man City...and its been rumored that City will be sending over Gareth Berry and potentially a few others over to MLS when they start. I hope they bring some young players over....that would be great. I'd love it. I agree. I think if we had gotten the chance to watch Adnan Januzaj for the last 2 seasons it would be fantastic for the league. However I do worry that the larger clubs could use MLS as a way to increase their profits for the parent club. I don't want the MLS clubs to become a way the European teams balance their books.

The NY2 experiment will be interesting to watch unfold....especially with the Cosmos name in the NASL holding the hearts of many New Yorkers....

There is one thing that makes me happy about expansion....the more expansion dollars the league gets...the closer and closer we get to Robert Kraft selling the New England Revolution to someone who actually cares and understands football.

TL;DR: I dont like expansion, but am supporting it due to my support of the league. I agree the talent pool will be weaker without significant changes to the Salary Cap. NY2 will be interesting. Slippery slope if expansion fails.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Smelly McUgly wrote:Speaking as a very casual fan that is just waiting to become a more involved soccer fan since we don't have a hockey team and since the NBA is forever dead to me no matter if some ghost of the Sonics franchise ever comes back...

...I think the quality of play is just night-and-day from the EPL, which I don't follow closely. I do see games on in bars, however, and man, those games are played at a ridiculous pace and with some great shots. I know that the EPL is the EPL and the MLS is still fledgling, but anything they could do to get some top-level players in their prime, or even some up-and-coming young players between the ages of 18-22, would be great.

I mean, I'm even playing FIFA and trying to get more of an understanding of the sport, the formations, etc., in that way, and as stupid as it sounds, it honestly makes me enjoy the game more as a viewer, but MLS games are hard to watch too regularly for me.

You play FIFA on xbox? I'd love to have a game and chat about the sport. Maybe talk to you about whats happening, what to look for in games.

The biggest difference in the EPL and MLS are technical and tactical. EPL players are more technical with their skill set, and have better minds for the tactics of the game. The managers are better suited to set up their squads for certain looks. There was a reason Sir Alex Ferguson was as good as he was for that long of a time...there is a reason Arsene Wenger still manages Arsenal. Tactics matter and the European leagues blow the MLS out of the water.

As for the Technical side of it, thats all about youth development. We continue to improve in that department...look at this next generation coming out of college. They are getting better. New England Kelyn Rowe is a great example.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• razgriz737 wrote:Looks like we signed Evans to a mult-year contract.

Correct. Great, yet expected, news.

If I had to guess its probably 180k-250k range for about 3-4 years.

The core of the team is locked up for the next 3 years or so, just like Adrian had said.

Dempsey, Alonso, Evans. That's the core right there fellas. We will win or lose based on those guys and who we surround them with.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Interesting image I found. Visualization graph of Revenue and profit of MLS franchises.

Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Looks like the midfield is taking shape with Alonso, Evans, and Dempsey. Any chance they can bring Fredy Montero back? He's still listed on the roster at SoundersFC.com. Could use his scoring punch again...especially if they lose Johnson and Martins.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• hawkfan68 wrote:Looks like the midfield is taking shape with Alonso, Evans, and Dempsey. Any chance they can bring Fredy Montero back? He's still listed on the roster at SoundersFC.com. Could use his scoring punch again...especially if they lose Johnson and Martins.

Low percentage chance on Montero. He is on loan to Sporting in Portugal, which is one of the big Portuguese teams, where he is wrecking havoc. 9 Goals in 9 Appearances, making him the top scorer in the league.

From what I understand Sporting hold an option to buy Montero. I would expect them to pick up that option. Fee would be from about 4-11 million.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Wish to hell they would clear that defence out already. No more Hurtado or Scott!
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Rookie

• I'm really confused, I've seen rumors that both Martins and EJ could be moved this winter. This makes zero sense, who would play up top? A team that struggled to finish, moving on from the two guys who've proven they can finish... Silly
    knownone
    NET Veteran

• Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Wish to hell they would clear that defence out already. No more Hurtado or Scott!

Bite your tongue lad. Scott is a Sounder legend as welcome on this squad as long as he wants, like Levesque was.

as for Hurtado....he's not a bad defender....Just not great.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• knownone wrote:I'm really confused, I've seen rumors that both Martins and EJ could be moved this winter. This makes zero sense, who would play up top? A team that struggled to finish, moving on from the two guys who've proven they can finish... Silly

EJ is more likely to go than Oba, IMO.

EJ is a situation that he put himself in. He opened his mouth when he shouldn't have, and now the club is weighing their options. Which is their right.

Personally I think Oba was misquoted in the Italian paper, as happens in football. However, its not far-fetched to believe he could be on his way out.

I don't foresee a situation where we lose BOTH Oba and EJ....and I feel that if Oba goes, EJ will stay (using the Oba money), and if EJ goes it means Oba is in fact committed to the club.

I think the Sounders will be all sorted out up top next season.

Also, don't rule out Clint Dempsey as an option up top. Especially if we find a true winger to add to the roster (someone not named Steve Zakuani).
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Clubs rumored to be interested in acquiring Dempsey on a loan spell starting in January: Spurs (First right of refusal), Newcastle, Southampton, and Fulham.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Smurf wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Wish to hell they would clear that defence out already. No more Hurtado or Scott!

Bite your tongue lad. Scott is a Sounder legend as welcome on this squad as long as he wants, like Levesque was.

the Sounders defense is comical...

I mean seriously those guys earn salaries, and in the derby with Portland looked like converted strikers playing in the back.

As for EJ... he was right. the team didnt finish well. too much meddling by the manager. poor play all over. I'd think an international should have the right to speak his mind about it. You see it everyday in the bigger leagues. I'm sure EJ wishes Sigi had been given the push, as any self respecting fan of the club that wants to see progress would as well.

This is big kids stuff. if EJ goes its the best for him, and gives Sigi one less person to hold him accountable. but really, if EJ goes its about money.

as for Dempsey up top... well this isnt 2009 (is it? is this 2009? this isnt 2009?). he can play a CAM role in the MLS, a winger role in the PL (for one more year) but his days of being a striker are done (unless you want to play a 442, or even a 4222 where has constant support)
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

• [quote="Smurf"]

You're mention of the larger clubs backing MLS teams is already sort of happening. RSL, Colorado and a few other clubs have "Ties" to European clubs like Arsenal, Juve, Man Utd....but New York City FC are taking that to another level. They are being backed by Man City...and its been rumored that City will be sending over Gareth Berry and potentially a few others over to MLS when they start. I hope they bring some young players over....that would be great. I'd love it. I agree. I think if we had gotten the chance to watch Adnan Januzaj for the last 2 seasons it would be fantastic for the league. However I do worry that the larger clubs could use MLS as a way to increase their profits for the parent club. I don't want the MLS clubs to become a way the European teams balance their books.

quote]

Yeah I had brought this up in my post about american soccer a few months ago. But dont mistake Euopean club cooperation with a financial invesment. it hasnt happened... yet. right now Euro clubs are basically brining in scouts to cooperate with MLS teams and get a look at the reserves and youth set ups... this isnt a recipricol relationship as of now.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

• Uncle Si wrote:
    Smurf wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:Wish to hell they would clear that defence out already. No more Hurtado or Scott!

I mean seriously those guys earn salaries, and in the derby with Portland looked like converted strikers playing in the back.

As for EJ... he was right. the team didnt finish well. too much meddling by the manager. poor play all over. I'd think an international should have the right to speak his mind about it. You see it everyday in the bigger leagues. I'm sure EJ wishes Sigi had been given the push, as any self respecting fan of the club that wants to see progress would as well.

This is big kids stuff. if EJ goes its the best for him, and gives Sigi one less person to hold him accountable. but really, if EJ goes its about money.

as for Dempsey up top... well this isnt 2009 (is it? is this 2009? this isnt 2009?). he can play a CAM role in the MLS, a winger role in the PL (for one more year) but his days of being a striker are done (unless you want to play a 442, or even a 4222 where has constant support)

I was more thinking 4-4-1-1 with Dempsey in that withdrawn role and a true runner up top, Like he used to at Fulham, and like Tim Cahil did at Everton.

and shove off about the highlighted bit. That was uncalled for.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Smurf wrote:Interesting image I found. Visualization graph of Revenue and profit of MLS franchises.

That's a pretty cool graphic, I have to admit. Portland swings a huge damn stick for its size. :th2thumbs: And that's impressive work for Toronto.
    Super Bowl Champions XVLIII

RIP Radish: Check your PMs. Upper right corner.
    Sarlacc83
    * NET Philistine *

• Smurf wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    Smurf wrote:

I was more thinking 4-4-1-1 with Dempsey in that withdrawn role and a true runner up top, Like he used to at Fulham, and like Tim Cahil did at Everton.

and shove off about the highlighted bit. That was uncalled for.

put on your Sounders scarf, go to a mirror and look at yourself. if you want Soudners glory you know in your heart it wont happen with Sigi.

Dempsey withdrawn in a 4-4-1-1 is Dempsey as a CAM, as Gerrard played under Torres. Dempsey can still do that, but it matters little if you dont have the advanced player in front of him
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

• It can happen with Sigi at the helm.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Smurf wrote:

Face it Zach Scott is done and a serious liability. So was Levesque in his last year. Zach Scott can stick around in a PR role for all I care, just not in the first team.

Hurtado was never the same player after his knee injury and again is suspect.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Rookie

• There was a MLS Waiver draft today. The Sounders offered Philip Lund to the waiver draft. The names on the list weren't very exciting so if the Sounders drafted anyone or not, who knows. No one on that list is going to put anyone over the hump, per se.

I'd like to see the defense upgraded. Maybe get younger and better. Kyle Venter, New Mexico, seems to be projected as the best central defender in the draft.

Here's an article on players to watch for MLS Superdraft -
    http://www.topdrawersoccer.com/college-soccer-articles/2014-mls-superdraft:-players-to-watch_aid28397
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• Joshua Mayers ‏@joshuamayers 6m
    The Sounders have declined their contract option on goalkeeper Michael Gspurning.
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays. 
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• KitsapGuy wrote:Joshua Mayers ‏@joshuamayers 6m
    The Sounders have declined their contract option on goalkeeper Michael Gspurning.

Poor move IMO. I thing Gspurning is a good keeper. Just lost some form there at the end.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Zakuani is out of contract now.

The team also declined options on Mauro Rosales, Marc Burch, Blair Gavin, and Josh Ford.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Apparently took up the contract options on Hurtado and Ianni. WTH! I would rather neither but at a push one of the two but both? That defence needs upgraded and that is now some salary cap wasted.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Rookie

• Q13 FOX News ‏@Q13FOX 6m
    Big news! Q13 FOX is the official home of the @SoundersFC starting in March. Catch 21 games on @Q13FOX and @JOEtvSeattle.
    In 180 games, Walter Jones was called for 9 holding penalties in the course of 5,703 pass plays. 
    First Round Inductee To Hall Of Fame 2014
    ESPN #1 Rated Seahawks Player of All Time
    KitsapGuy
    * NET Staff *

• Looks like we've just traded for a goalie from Toronto. I'd post a link but I'm on my phone.
    Tru2RedNGold25 wrote:Us as Niners fan have every right to rep Niners all day everyday when we have the hardware to back it up do can u guys say that???

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• http://www.soundersfc.com/News/Articles ... -Frei.aspx

Seattle Sounders FC has acquired goalkeeper Stefan Frei from Toronto FC in exchange for a 2015 conditional first round SuperDraft pick

Frei, 27, was Toronto’s longest tenured player and is the club’s all-time leader in appearances across all competitions (99), winning four Canadian Championships. He holds a 1.54 goals against average in 82 regular season starts, but has missed much of the past two seasons due to injury.

Frei made 81 appearances in his first three seasons with Toronto before suffering a broken fibula in 2012, making just one league appearance in the past two seasons.

Frei, a Generation adidas product and MVP at the 2009 MLS Player Combine, was selected by Toronto FC in the first round (13th overall) of the 2009 MLS SuperDraft by Toronto FC. He played three seasons for the University of California, Berkeley, where he was named to the All-Pac-10 First Team, Top Drawer Soccer First Team, NSCAA First Team Far West All-Region and was on the MAC Hermann Trophy Watch list in 2008.

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• razgriz737 wrote:http://www.soundersfc.com/News/Articles/2013/12-December/Sounders-FC-Acquires-Stefan-Frei.aspx

Seattle Sounders FC has acquired goalkeeper Stefan Frei from Toronto FC in exchange for a 2015 conditional first round SuperDraft pick

Frei, 27, was Toronto’s longest tenured player and is the club’s all-time leader in appearances across all competitions (99), winning four Canadian Championships. He holds a 1.54 goals against average in 82 regular season starts, but has missed much of the past two seasons due to injury.

Frei made 81 appearances in his first three seasons with Toronto before suffering a broken fibula in 2012, making just one league appearance in the past two seasons.

Frei, a Generation adidas product and MVP at the 2009 MLS Player Combine, was selected by Toronto FC in the first round (13th overall) of the 2009 MLS SuperDraft by Toronto FC. He played three seasons for the University of California, Berkeley, where he was named to the All-Pac-10 First Team, Top Drawer Soccer First Team, NSCAA First Team Far West All-Region and was on the MAC Hermann Trophy Watch list in 2008.

Solid pick up. I like that the club had a direction to go immediately after Gspurning said no to less money.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Mauro Rosales has been traded to Chivas USA in exchange for Tristen Bowen and the #2 spot in the allocation order.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Tell me about Tristen Bowen...
    I am a firm believer in luck, and I found that the harder I work the more I have of it.
    CurryStopstheRuns
    NET Veteran

• Not much to write home about here.

Tristan Bowen is a 22 year old American striker. I think he spit on a guy once...
    He has 4 career MLS goals. 8 total goals in all leagues since he went pro in 2007. One of those goals was this:

So he can hit a ball....

He's a good squad player who we acquired in what was a move more based on Salary Cap space.

I think the biggest asset we received from this trade is the #2 spot in the allocation order. Rumor is that it will be used to either bring Erik Friberg back to the Sounders, or used for a returning national team player. For the national team player its rumored to be midfielder Mix Diskerud. IMO both rumors seem far-fetched as I don't think Friberg returns, nor do I think that Diskerud is a player the club is interested in....but i've been wrong before....

Again, this move is more about the cap space and that #2 allocation order spot than it is about Tristan Bowen.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• http://www.dispatch.com/content/blogs/c ... raded.html

The Crew has traded veteran center back Chad Marshall to the Seattle Sounders for allocation money and a third-round pick in the 2015 SuperDraft.

Marshall, 29, is the Crew's all-time leader in minutes played and games played and a two-time MLS Defender of the Year. In 253 career games, all with the Crew, Marshall has made 250 starts and scored 16 goals.

I admittedly don't really know anything about the guy, but it sounds like Crew fans are pretty pissed off about losing him.

razgriz737
    NET Veteran

• This is definitely a rebuilding year. I'm going to keep my expectations low and hopefully be surprised. Still frustrated we kept Hurtado and lost Rosales albeit I understand why they got rid of him. I felt Rosales made Johnson with his crosses.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Rookie

• Glasgow Seahawk wrote:This is definitely a rebuilding year. I'm going to keep my expectations low and hopefully be surprised. Still frustrated we kept Hurtado and lost Rosales albeit I understand why they got rid of him. I felt Rosales made Johnson with his crosses.

Still alot to be seen. Rosales seemed to be reduced to a walk on role late in games. yes he could change things with his quality, but they needed to infuse something else.

Still to be seen what that would be. Diskerud (alluded to by Smurf) is a very nice player. Creative, impactful, could play underneath Dempsey or Johnson. He is the type of player the MLS should be elevating as one of its young stars.

the issue with suggesting this is a rebulding year is the decision to bring back Sigi... hes not here to pick up pieces and bridge any gaps. So far these moves all seem to be addressing specific issues while adding flexibility to do something bigger.

Smurf..sound about right?
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

• Zakuani got drafted by Portland. That one kind of stings, Sounders stuck by him for 2 years while he was injured and never played while claiming a fair chunk of cap space. He'll probably never be the same player he was but going to a rival sucks.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Rookie

• Traded Moffat for Kenny Coopers right and allocation money. Moffat was crap so quite happy with that, I take it that means EJ is away. Hope we get rid of Caskey and Rose as well.
    Glasgow Seahawk
    NET Rookie

• Uncle Si wrote:
    Glasgow Seahawk wrote:This is definitely a rebuilding year. I'm going to keep my expectations low and hopefully be surprised. Still frustrated we kept Hurtado and lost Rosales albeit I understand why they got rid of him. I felt Rosales made Johnson with his crosses.

Still alot to be seen. Rosales seemed to be reduced to a walk on role late in games. yes he could change things with his quality, but they needed to infuse something else.

Still to be seen what that would be. Diskerud (alluded to by Smurf) is a very nice player. Creative, impactful, could play underneath Dempsey or Johnson. He is the type of player the MLS should be elevating as one of its young stars.

the issue with suggesting this is a rebulding year is the decision to bring back Sigi... hes not here to pick up pieces and bridge any gaps. So far these moves all seem to be addressing specific issues while adding flexibility to do something bigger.

Smurf..sound about right?

Yeah, these are not moves to rebuild....we are not bringing in young guys to grow with the team....we are bringing in MLS veterans who know how to get the job done.

Chad Marshall, Kenny Cooper....over 400 MLS games between them...

I really think the team is making solid moves to this point. We are addressing things that need fixing, and we are being ruthless about playing favorites. Zakuani, Rosales, Burch, Gspurning....all fan favorites....all gone...and in a matter of days.

These moves are all about experience, cap space, and seem to be leading to something big happening soon.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Here are my thoughts on the last few moves.

Kenny Cooper for Adam Moffat - This is a move that signals the end of either EJ or Oba, IMO. This is a striker who has played over 150 games in this league and has the ability to get it done. That said...if you thought Montero was a streaky player....watch out for Cooper. He'll score 10 in 6 games then be dry for 12 strait. This trade makes me dislike the Carrasco-Moffat trade even more. I really valued Carrasco as a player. Everything went to crap after he was traded.

Chad Marshall is exactly what I wanted from a CB. Experience, can get it done. Knows how to win in this league. He makes Ianni, Hurtado or Traore expendable.....

Tristan Bowen is an OK pick up...he'll struggle to see the field...Oba, EJ, Dempsey, Neagle, Cooper, Estrada, Zavaleta...I think they are all ahead of him right now for time on the field.

I think the biggest move is yet to come....and It will likely be after EJ or Oba are traded/sold....and will probably coincide with the January transfer window.

Recently the club had their annual business meeting with the Alliance Members (both hour long segments are on youtube if you want to watch)....the biggest thing I took away from is that Adrian is adamant that the roster will be set by the first game of the season, and that there will be no clout as to what the team will look like. You'll remember that we lost a host of players right before the season started and then the whole Oba scenario.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• I like most of the moves the Sounders are making. Rosales for Bowen is one I'm not sold on. Kenny Cooper and Chad Marshall are good gets in trade. Cooper played for Portland a couple of years back and was the type of player that Nate Jaqua had the potential to be. A tall, strong forward. I believe he's aggressive too. Something Jaqua never was. Is Traore still on the books? He and Marshall will make a solid center defense.
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• hawkfan68 wrote:I like most of the moves the Sounders are making. Rosales for Bowen is one I'm not sold on. Kenny Cooper and Chad Marshall are good gets in trade. Cooper played for Portland a couple of years back and was the type of player that Nate Jaqua had the potential to be. A tall, strong forward. I believe he's aggressive too. Something Jaqua never was. Is Traore still on the books? He and Marshall will make a solid center defense.

Traore is still on the books...

And Cooper plays nothing like his size would dictate....He plays more like a crappy Niklas Bendtner than anything.
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

• Smurf, I gather you're not a fan of Kenny Cooper. Cooper knows how to finish goals. Something this team sorely needs. Didn't score much last season but his production would have been in the top 2-3 scoring on the Sounders. In 2012, he netted 18 goals for the Red Bulls. I think it's a good addition. Obafemi is a DP so if he leaves that would open up a DP spot, correct? Right now Alonso, Dempsey, and Oba are DPs right?
    hawkfan68
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*
    *GOLD SUPPORTER*

• hawkfan68 wrote:Smurf, I gather you're not a fan of Kenny Cooper. Cooper knows how to finish goals. Something this team sorely needs. Didn't score much last season but his production would have been in the top 2-3 scoring on the Sounders. In 2012, he netted 18 goals for the Red Bulls. I think it's a good addition. Obafemi is a DP so if he leaves that would open up a DP spot, correct? Right now Alonso, Dempsey, and Oba are DPs right?

Yes. Alonso, Dempsey, and Oba are DP's. If one left, a spot would open.

And yes. I dislike Kenny Cooper. I've not fancied him as a player way back to when I saw him play at FC Dallas (the first time). Throw in the fact he's a former Timber and out of form.....
    Man up, stand in line.
    Smurf
    * NET Fan Boy *

Next

It is currently Wed Oct 01, 2014 4:39 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information