Coolest athlete of all time

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
Re: Coolest athlete of all time
Tue Oct 15, 2013 10:39 pm
  • Try not to be cool with the name, "Magic Johnson"... Just try.
    RockHawk wrote:This has turned into nothing but a personal attack, which goes against our forum rules...... I'll allow it.
    Laloosh
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:44 pm
  • bestfightstory wrote:
    RiverDog wrote:Steve Largent.

Here's how he's 'cool': Lester Haynes, an All Pro DB for the Raiders who's motor mouth trash talking bothered even his teammates, said that he thought Largent was deaf as he could never get him to even look his direction, until Largent burned him for a 30 yard reception then after Haynes tackled him, got up laughing at him.

Now is that 'cool' or what?

It was Lester HAYES & Mike HAYNES, iirc.

Thanks for the correction. That's what I get for trusting a faulty memory.
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:47 pm
  • Ted Williams, Boston Red Sox, aka 'The Splendid Splinter.'
    Naval Aviator, AND Marine Corps, Veteran of both WWII & Korea, 2-time Triple Crown winner, avid fisherman, and the last man to hit .400.

In my mind "The Greatest Hitter of All Time..."; I mean, He wrote the book on hitting... Now that's cool! :th2thumbs:
    kigenzun
    NET Starter

Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:49 pm
  • kigenzun wrote:Ted Williams, Boston Red Sox, aka 'The Splendid Splinter.'
    Naval Aviator, AND Marine Corps, Veteran of both WWII & Korea, 2-time Triple Crown winner, avid fisherman, and the last man to hit .400.

In my mind "The Greatest Hitter of All Time..."; I mean, He wrote the book on hitting... Now that's cool! :th2thumbs:

Good choice. Williams had 5 years during the prime of his career taken from him due to military service. Man, how times have changed!
    RiverDog
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:46 am

Thu Oct 17, 2013 11:59 am
  • Erebus wrote:When I was a kid, I always thought Bo Jackson was the coolest athlete. Haven't really thought of athletes in those terms since then.

I was waiting to see how long it took someone to mention Bo Jackson. I was six years old or so when he caught that baseball at the warning track and ran right up the wall instead of crashing into it. That made me a fan. Then, playing as him in Tecmo Super Bowl made me a fan for life. I even got over him trucking the Boz and that being shown as a highlight in perpetuity in about two seconds. That's how cool he was.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

--Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:12 am
  • Jordan
    Ali
    Everybody Else
    "So between my friends and I we have been at every home game to date this year, and we have all been plotting the offensive plays called. " ------Anthony!
    Tical21
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 24, 2013 8:16 am
  • E.C. Laloosh wrote:Try not to be cool with the name, "Magic Johnson"... Just try.

Oh I could do it, easy

PS Bruce Lee, nice choice
    So you think you can tell Heaven from Hell, blue skies from pain. Can you tell a green field from a cold steel rail? A smile from a veil?
    twisted_steel2
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:55 am
  • I always loved George Foreman.

He learned how to fight in the Job Corps...yeah that's right, the freaking JOB CORPS!

The guy was an underrated beast when he was younger...destroying top boxers like Frasier and Norton within just a few rounds. He also stood up to peer pressure when he was 19 by waiving an American flag after winning the gold medal in the Olympics after other contestants did the black power salute in defiance to the USA.

Then, he comes back at age 45 to win the heavyweight title again! I mean, seriously at 45 years old he is still punching people hard and they are still getting knocked out. That says a lot about how hard this guy could punch. I know a lot of boxing fans are all about strategy and craft...but me..I like to see a knock-out...I like to see guys getting hit in the face really hard and going down. That's what's fun and exciting to me about boxing, and Foreman brought that excitement.
    "Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force."

- Barbie from Toy Story 3
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:51 am
  • fenderbender123 wrote:I always loved George Foreman.

He learned how to fight in the Job Corps...yeah that's right, the freaking JOB CORPS!

The guy was an underrated beast when he was younger...destroying top boxers like Frasier and Norton within just a few rounds. He also stood up to peer pressure when he was 19 by waiving an American flag after winning the gold medal in the Olympics after other contestants did the black power salute in defiance to the USA.

Then, he comes back at age 45 to win the heavyweight title again! I mean, seriously at 45 years old he is still punching people hard and they are still getting knocked out. That says a lot about how hard this guy could punch. I know a lot of boxing fans are all about strategy and craft...but me..I like to see a knock-out...I like to see guys getting hit in the face really hard and going down. That's what's fun and exciting to me about boxing, and Foreman brought that excitement.

Foreman was really a jerk in his younger boxing years. Clear up through losing to Ali. Then he came back, as a great guy, talked to the media and people, and is now known as a great guy. We all love him now. The highest paid athletic for about 15 years in a row from selling those grills. One year when our esteemed golfer made $88 million, George made $109 million.

Ted Williams was the biggest jerk in sports to this day. The people hated him, his team mates hated him, and the newspapers hated him.

The only reason he got press was the fact he is the greatest hitter of all time. Can't argue that, no one else has hit .400 for a season, tho many have tried.

:les:
    On to week two. Week one was not a fluke!
    The Radish
    * NET Radish *

Fri Oct 25, 2013 11:59 am
  • I think they asked for coolest, not the most bitter for no reason.

Tical21 wrote:Jordan
    Ali
    Everybody Else
    CPHawk
    NET Veteran

Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:55 pm
  • In that case, Jordan is incredibly bitter. See his HOF acceptance speech.

Jordan was a great player obviously, but he does not come off as "cool" to me. You wouldn't see Muhammad Ali or Bo Jackson starring in a movie with Bugs Bunny, would you? Don't get me wrong, I love Space Jam, but Jordan did not come off as "cool" in that movie or ever, really, as great an athlete as he was.

Bill Murray came out of that movie looking cool as hell, though.
    "If given the opportunity without fear of incarceration, I would honestly beat the living **** out of Jerry Rice."

--Internet tough guy HawkWow being a MAN on the internet
    Smelly McUgly
    NET Veteran

Location: God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwest

Fri Oct 25, 2013 4:43 pm
  • The great Muhammad Ali. Everyone pales by comparison. He helped polarize a nation about Vietnam. Striped of his title for political reasons , wins it back twice.

Brought back boxing from the back page to the front page. He was a my hero growing up and nothing but respect for the man today.
    Happypuppy
    NET Veteran

Tue Oct 29, 2013 8:11 pm
  • The Radish wrote:Foreman was really a jerk in his younger boxing years. Clear up through losing to Ali.:

Really? I've watched a lot of footage of Foreman on and off the ring in his younger years and have read a lot about him and I have never seen any evidence that he was a jerk. I've heard a few people claim that before, but never any examples. Foreman himself admits that he was brash and unrefined when he was younger, but you also have to consider that he went through a major religious transformation so his idea of a jerk would likely be different than ours....although I've never heard him use that word to describe himself.

You may very well be right of course. So if you have any examples, please share them.
    "Authority should derive from the consent of the governed, not from the threat of force."

- Barbie from Toy Story 3
    fenderbender123
    NET Veteran

Sat Nov 02, 2013 11:07 am
  • m0ng0 wrote:Ric Flair :P

Master of the self inflicted face plant, lol.
    SEATTLE SEAHAWKS SUPERBOWL XLVIII CHAMPIONS!

May the spirit of our friend The Radish live on forever!
    Sports Hernia
    NET Pro Bowler

Wed Dec 11, 2013 8:11 pm
  • Ok, I'll say it. Russell Wilson. I know it's still early in his career, but no matter the criteria or how one defines it... Russell Wilson is the epitome of cool. viewtopic.php?f=2&t=82421 There's enough known about Wilson to trust that he will not veer off course.

Thanks, Russell. You have quickly become arguably the coolest athlete ever to play for the coolest franchise (no question about it) in any sport.

That's how I define cool.
    World Champion
    Seattle Seahawks
    TeamoftheCentury
    NET Veteran

Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:20 pm
  • -The Glove- wrote:Can't believe no one has mentioned the kid, Ken Griffey Jr. Everyone loves that guy. Don't matter what team you rooted for.

My first choice.
    Kaep vs. Seattle 1-3
    3 TD's ~ 7 INT's ~ 2 Fumbles ~ Sacked 8 times ~ QBR = 54
    ZorntoLargent
    NET Starter

Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:59 pm
  • Jamal Crawford, Will Conroy or Russell Wilson for me.
    20% off Karmaloop & 10% off PLNDR, rep code: DUCK20
    dontbelikethat
    NET Veteran

Tue Dec 24, 2013 2:49 am
  • Wilt Chamberlain was so, so cool... So was Dr. J.
    Nowadays, David Ortiz and Felix Hernandez fit the bill.
    Seaman
    NET Rookie

Sat Dec 28, 2013 12:56 am
  • Jordan.... it's gotta be the shoes
    dunceface
    NET Veteran

Next

It is currently Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:13 pm

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information