Champions League 2013

Discuss any and all sports-related topics. From the College Sports to Baseball and everything in between. RATING: PG-13
Re: Champions League 2013
Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:05 pm
  • Gatehawk wrote:I'm getting fucking sick and tired of all you twats ganging up on me for simple comments. You can all burn in hell for all I care.

easy sweetheart.. slip a pad in for those heavy days.

you did the name calling
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:06 pm
  • Gatehawk wrote:I'm getting fucking sick and tired of all you twats ganging up on me for simple comments. You can all burn in hell for all I care.

You started it by calling Simon a 'dumbass'. Seriously, just stop ALWAYS trying to defend everything Arsenal does. You don't see that from the other fans on here, we all admit our teams flaws. Yes, it sucks to do so, but it leads to more stimulating conversation. It never hurts to give credit to the opposing team when due, either.
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:07 pm
  • And here's your little sweat off his chin you asswipes

http://t.co/pZHTp9HO39
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:09 pm
  • Gatehawk wrote:And here's your little sweat off his chin you asswipes

How about finding a video of it from a different angle, one where you can see his face and mouth, and/or something in slow motion?

To me, it doesn't look like spit.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:10 pm
  • JGfromtheNW wrote:
    Gatehawk wrote:And here's your little sweat off his chin you asswipes

How about finding a video of it from a different angle, one where you can see his face and mouth, and/or something in slow motion?

To me, it doesn't look like spit.

dont construe rationality to be the basis of any of poor wee Gate's arguments.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:12 pm
  • Seriously - What does Ozil even do for Arsenal anymore? He was really influential for them in the first part of the season, now it seems like he's hurting the team by being out there. Awful. Reminds me of Bruno Cheyrou, for some reason...
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:14 pm
  • The game this half has been played almost exclusively in Arsenal's defensive third. Dominant play by Bayern the last 10 plus minutes.
    JGfromtheNW
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:22 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:Seriously - What does Ozil even do for Arsenal anymore? He was really influential for them in the first part of the season, now it seems like he's hurting the team by being out there. Awful. Reminds me of Bruno Cheyrou, for some reason...

seriously... Arsenal are playing with 9 right now. Ozil has been that poor.

All credit to the other 9 players. Massive display of fortitude.

I feel like Bayern are wasting this opportunity... 1-0 up, even with an away goal, isnt a great take from a game in which you had 60 minutes +1 player.
    Last edited by Uncle Si on Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:22 pm
  • If Bayern weren't obsessed with walking it in to score, they could have 5 or 6 here.
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:34 pm
  • And there it is. Game over. Might as well not play the second leg.

I'll be honest, Gate, I think Arsenal have no chance at a trophy this season yet again. They'll get beat in the FA cup by probably City, maybe even Everton in the last 8.

They're not going to win the league. No way, no how. I think Wenger gets another pass this season just because of what he's acheived in the past, but if they spend another small fortune this Summer, he'll need silverware next season or it's gotta be curtains, you'd think.
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Wed Feb 19, 2014 1:59 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:And there it is. Game over. Might as well not play the second leg.

I'll be honest, Gate, I think Arsenal have no chance at a trophy this season yet again. They'll get beat in the FA cup by probably City, maybe even Everton in the last 8.

They're not going to win the league. No way, no how. I think Wenger gets another pass this season just because of what he's acheived in the past, but if they spend another small fortune this Summer, he'll need silverware next season or it's gotta be curtains, you'd think.

Starts with the Ozil miss, but for me the turning point was the Gibbs injury.

I hate complimenting Arsenal but I was really impressed with Ox-Chamb today. Sanago looked better. talent is there.

Things will get more difficult for Arsenal with a tough FA fixture coming up, some difficult league fixtures, two slumping stars (no Giroud today was a big sign)

Depending on the form of Chelsea, Arsenal may find the league out of reach soon. They are sitll in the balance for the FA Cup.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:02 pm
  • FA cup is probably their best bet, but I just don't think they can beat City.
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Wed Feb 19, 2014 5:00 pm
  • More like Missit Ozil. Amirite?
    InSuarezWeTrust
    NET Starter

Wed Feb 19, 2014 6:21 pm
  • InSuarezWeTrust wrote:More like Missit Ozil. Amirite?

Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Thu Feb 20, 2014 11:06 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    InSuarezWeTrust wrote:More like Missit Ozil. Amirite?

Looks like Spurs' "special relationship" with Real Madrid might not be one way traffic after all.
    Hawkspur
    NET Veteran

Tue Feb 25, 2014 3:26 pm
  • I kinda feel bad for United now.

LOL

jk, no I don't they suck balls and deserve everything they get. Scumbags.

Trolololololololol

Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:20 pm
  • #MOYESIN
    InSuarezWeTrust
    NET Starter

Wed Feb 26, 2014 8:28 am
  • According to the record books, the last time Olympiakos beat Man United was 325 BC. It was 2-1. Aristotle and Plato scored for the Greeks. Giggs with the consolation for United.
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:21 pm
  • So Chelsea's the only EPL side that didn't lose their 1st leg by a 2-0 scoreline(or just lose for that matter).
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 11, 2014 12:47 pm
  • Paging Dr. Ozil……..Paging Dr. Ozil……..
    InSuarezWeTrust
    NET Starter

Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:24 pm
  • WHat are Arsenal even doing here? 10 minutes to go, and they're playing with all the urgency of a Sunday League team on the last match of the season. Pure shite. No fire in that team at all.
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:38 pm
  • I'd say hard luck to Gate, but there was no luck involved. Arsenal are streets behind Europe's elite.
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:39 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:WHat are Arsenal even doing here? 10 minutes to go, and they're playing with all the urgency of a Sunday League team on the last match of the season. Pure shite. No fire in that team at all.

Paper tigers that.
    InSuarezWeTrust
    NET Starter

Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:41 pm
  • peachesenregalia wrote:I'd say hard luck to Gate, but there was no luck involved. Arsenal are streets behind Europe's elite.

But...but...

They drew at Bayern!

Bayern looked in control throughout. Arsenal looked like they approached this as if it was the first leg away and not down two. Tough ask to be fair. But they lacked a bit of urgency
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:50 pm
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:I'd say hard luck to Gate, but there was no luck involved. Arsenal are streets behind Europe's elite.

But...but...

They drew at Bayern!

Bayern looked in control throughout. Arsenal looked like they approached this as if it was the first leg away and not down two. Tough ask to be fair. But they lacked a bit of urgency

This is exactly what I'm talking about. Yes, it's a tough ask, but at least go out there with everything you've got. I can't stand when teams that need goals just sit back and try to hit the other team on the break. Bayern saw WAY too much of the ball in the second half, and especially in the last 15 mins or so. Arsenal had clearly given up.
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Tue Mar 11, 2014 1:51 pm
  • Remember guys, just getting there is good enough for Arsenal.
    You are absolutely entitled to state your opinion whenever you wish, and I am absolutely entitled to point out the stupidity of that opinion with the same frequency.
    SeatownJay
    * NET Staff Alumni *
    * NET Staff Alumni *

Tue Mar 11, 2014 2:06 pm
  • Fuck... off... you... jackasses.

I don't even now what game you guys were watching. Sure 1st half Arsenal were paying too cautiously but the second half after Schweinstager scored, Arsenal finally took it seriously(I know that was still too late to start doing so). Ox and Fabianski were amazing today, Ozil didn't have a good game but now it appears that that was due to a hamstring issue. The problem I had was the fact that Bayern were dropping like flies anytime an Arsenal player touched them, prime example being that dive by Robben in the 2nd half.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:35 pm
  • Ox was fantastic today for sure...

You said it. They didn't wake up until it was too late.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 11, 2014 7:58 pm
  • I went into the game knowing that their only chance to turn the tie around was to play with the same intensity from the first 35 minutes of the 1st leg, but for the full 90. Honestly, this tie lost all it's potential when Szczesny was sent off. Because what we saw at the Allianz Arena was maybe what could've happened at the Emirates had it remained 11v11 there, I don't know, it's all "what if's" now.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Tue Mar 11, 2014 8:09 pm
  • Fabianski is better than Szczesny IMO. Maybe not a UCL level keeper, but better.
    InSuarezWeTrust
    NET Starter

Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:36 am
  • InSuarezWeTrust wrote:Fabianski is better than Szczesny IMO. Maybe not a UCL level keeper, but better.

I would say Fabianski and Szczesny are near mirror images of each other(not because they're both Polish). The key difference being Szczesny's habit of taking risks(normally to the point you start screaming "WHAT IN GOD'S NAME ARE YOU DOING WOJCIECH!?!?") most keepers would never even think of attempting in their entire careers. I've actually started reffering to it as Szczesnying, it's a stupid term, I know, but you understand what I mean by it right?
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 12, 2014 8:42 am
  • Gatehawk wrote:
    InSuarezWeTrust wrote:Fabianski is better than Szczesny IMO. Maybe not a UCL level keeper, but better.

I would say Fabianski and Szczesny are near mirror images of each other(not because they're both Polish). The key difference being Szczesny's habit of taking risks(normally to the point you start screaming "WHAT IN GOD'S NAME ARE YOU DOING WOJCIECH!?!?") most keepers would never even think of attempting in their entire careers. I've actually started reffering to it as Szczesnying, it's a stupid term, I know, but you understand what I mean by it right?

Anyone remember Barthez when he played for United? So many lulz....
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:19 am
  • I'm a bit surprised at the shift in media coverage extolling Arsenal's performance yesterday. Lots of reflection on the pride and effort they showed.

The first half alone Bayern completed 300 more passes than Arsenal yet took just 7 shots.

Seemed more like a cat toying with a mouse. I'm not ripping Arsenal here. I think they had to sit and wait and try counters. But to suggest Arsenals performance somehow is a confidence boost to a title run is a bit much. Sure they weren't blown away...but neither did Bayern really try and dismantle them neither

Just odd...
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:38 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:I'm a bit surprised at the shift in media coverage extolling Arsenal's performance yesterday. Lots of reflection on the pride and effort they showed.

The first half alone Bayern completed 300 more passes than Arsenal yet took just 7 shots.

Seemed more like a cat toying with a mouse. I'm not ripping Arsenal here. I think they had to sit and wait and try counters. But to suggest Arsenals performance somehow is a confidence boost to a title run is a bit much. Sure they weren't blown away...but neither did Bayern really try and dismantle them neither

Just odd...

Know why Bayern didn't blow Arsenal out of the water? They didn't have to.
    InSuarezWeTrust
    NET Starter

Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:53 am
  • InSuarezWeTrust wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:I'm a bit surprised at the shift in media coverage extolling Arsenal's performance yesterday. Lots of reflection on the pride and effort they showed.

Just odd...

Know why Bayern didn't blow Arsenal out of the water? They didn't have to.

that was my thought watching the game. now i stopped after Bayerns goal, so I'm sure some reaction from Arsenal took place, but at that point the game was truly well in hand.

seemed a "professional" performance by one team against another who could do little about it. And yet sure enough, Arsenal apologists are all over the silver lining today.

I dont know, maybe its just not worth reading about footy anymore. there doesnt seem to be an objective thought out there.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:46 pm
  • So all you guys seemed to see was Bayern not killing off the tie because they didn't want to, not because Arsenal gave them very little opportunity to do so. Remember this is the same club that ran over Barcelona 7-0 on Aggregate a year ago. The least you can do is give Arsenal a sliver of credit for some parts of their performance, it clearly wasn't the performance me and other Arsenal fans optimistically hoped for, but you make it seem like, until Bayern scored, the Gunners did nothing at all.
    Gatehawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 13, 2014 4:32 am
  • Gatehawk wrote:So all you guys seemed to see was Bayern not killing off the tie because they didn't want to, not because Arsenal gave them very little opportunity to do so. Remember this is the same club that ran over Barcelona 7-0 on Aggregate a year ago. The least you can do is give Arsenal a sliver of credit for some parts of their performance, it clearly wasn't the performance me and other Arsenal fans optimistically hoped for, but you make it seem like, until Bayern scored, the Gunners did nothing at all.

read the post... I did give them a sliver of credit. The point was not to discredit Arsenal. Why bother, they lost. The point was to question how Arsenal are getting credit for not losing badly when they clearly allowed Bayern to take the game to them. Bayern just played it professionally. Arsenal didnt muster much of anything prior to the goal.

I dont think they deserve much more. Bayern had near 70% of the ball over the first 65 minutes. They gave up just one header from Giroud on a corner. Bayern completed nearly 400 more (MORE) passes than Arsenal leading up to the goal, shots were 11-3. Scoring chances 7-1. All before Bayern killed the tie off with the goal. Compare that to the first game, prior to the red card. Or even last year.

Even after the goal, Arsenal were lauded for their response. Why? they did little, then Podolski clearly shoved Lahm leading to Arsenal's one good chance (this isnt a question either. even he looked up to the ref waiting for the whistle... he got away with it, and scored well. Its soccer.). Robben is a diving twat. Awful little man. But Bayern still should have scored 2-3 more times after Podolski's goal. Manduzick is playing himself right behing Lewandowski with misses like that.

Like I said, Ox was great. the back line deserve some credit for hanging in there (although Bayern was considerably non-chalant in the attack... every time they got into good scoring range they looked for that extra dink pass or cute threaded ball. was disappointing really).

It just wasnt a compelling game. If Arsenal fans want to gleen hope from such a performance so be it. Its your club. I just didnt see much worth writing articles extolling Arsenals "fight" (except of course "well, we werent embarrassed..").

outpassed by 400... thats a training session not a champs league match
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:15 am
  • How did Liverpool get on in the Champions League this season?
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:17 am
  • UK_Seahawk wrote:How did Liverpool get on in the Champions League this season?

more brilliance...

you're on fire. like a hooker's twat
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:45 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    UK_Seahawk wrote:How did Liverpool get on in the Champions League this season?

more brilliance...

Sounds like you're quite the expert.
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:50 am
  • UK_Seahawk wrote:How did Liverpool get on in the Champions League this season?

About as well as Chesterfield.
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:53 am
  • UK_Seahawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

more brilliance...

poor form
    Last edited by Uncle Si on Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 13, 2014 6:56 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    UK_Seahawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:

more brilliance...

you're mom is very informative... and not shy

BANG. 1-0.

Back in your box, UK Seahawk.
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:13 am
  • As for ripping on my team, they are top of their division and are in a Wembley final to played at the end of this month. Best of all I actually get to see them play live.
    Last edited by UK_Seahawk on Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:20 am
  • LOL

LDV Vans trophy? Whatever helps you sleep at night, big lad. Top of League 2 is hardly worth shouting about. Especially when Rochdale have a game in hand.
    Rzzzzz...
    peachesenregalia
    * NET Starfish *

Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:28 am
  • peachesenregalia wrote:LOL

LDV Vans trophy? Whatever helps you sleep at night, big lad. Top of League 2 is hardly worth shouting about. Especially when Rochdale have a game in hand.

It's all relative. Chesterfield aren't a big club. I'd rather watch a small club do well than a big club that underachieves year after year.
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:38 am
  • UK_Seahawk wrote:
    peachesenregalia wrote:LOL

It's all relative. Chesterfield aren't a big club. I'd rather watch a small club do well than a big club that underachieves year after year.

id suggest Liverpool are overachieving by a big shout this season...
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:50 am
  • Uncle Si wrote:
    UK_Seahawk wrote:

For that to be accurate you would have to admit that Liverpool are not a big Premiership club and I've not met a single Liverpool fan who thinks that.
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 13, 2014 7:59 am
  • UK_Seahawk wrote:
    Uncle Si wrote:
    UK_Seahawk wrote:

For that to be accurate you would have to admit that Liverpool are not a big Premiership club and I've not met a single Liverpool fan who thinks that.

to be honest I could care if they're "big" or not. but what does one have to do with the other? Are United not a big Premier club? Clubs struggle. Especially in the modern game. even big ones. table location cant always indicate "big". Doesnt take much to unbalance a side.

Remember, Liverpool have spent nearly as much as City and Chelsea over the last 3 years trying to get out of the rut. And more than United and Arsenal. They just did it poorly.

They've the largest international fan base of any club in the world and an ownership base that owns the most popular baseball franchise in the US.

Its been a painful three years. But a new philosophy seems to have set things straight.

I guess the question then is what constitutes "big?"

and why would people care either way?
    Uncle Si
    NET Veteran

Thu Mar 13, 2014 8:20 am
  • The league table is a reflection of the club's performance over the season. The perception of the Liverpool fanbase is that they should be challenging for the title (based on resources, fanbase, facilities and history) whether they can realistically do this is moot, it's all about the expectation. They continually fall short and thus they underachieve against expectation.

Liverpool fans are largely arrogant based on the successes they had years ago which makes them the EPL equivalent of the 49ers.
    UK_Seahawk
    NET Veteran

PreviousNext

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 7:33 am

Please REGISTER to become a member

Return to [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Information