It's Cascadia Week!

Smurf

Reaction score

National TV audience.

International TV audience (will be on ESPN UK, Live).

Dempsey's home Debut.

Seattle vs Portland.

Good vs Evil.

I'd like to remind you of the history:
Knowyourhistory 2013

It's going to be a fun week.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
The cup win is there, but no check. Checks are done by category win.

I understand it may be a hard. Concept to follow for you Portland folk.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
Whitecaps are getting robbed for not getting credit for "poutine."

This checklist is flawed.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I wonder how many of any of you saw these teams play as NASL teams, where the rivalry started? watched (or had any idea) the Timbers lose the first ever "Soccer Bowl", the Sounders lose to Chinaglias Cosmos in Portland in '77 and again in '82. That 1-0 loss killed me as a kid. Who knew who Bobby Moore was? Knew Harry Redknapp played here. or mark Peterson was the best US born player in the world in the early 80s.

Hell the Whitecaps won a NASL championship.

I'd say its far fetched to quote history most know zip about. You really want to mimic the great rivalries of sport at least get to know the history. Its pretty cool stuff.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Hmm, poster who hasn't seen most of the historic rivalry bragging about championships that happened before his time.

I don't know where I've seen that before on this board.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Sarlacc83":1zyh6k0u said:
Hmm, poster who hasn't seen most of the historic rivalry bragging about championships that happened before his time.

I don't know where I've seen that before on this board.

Not a question of seeing as much as knowing.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
...wait....am I being accused of not knowing the history of the rivalry? Or even my club?

Ole 'Arry played here. And Alan Hinton played for Vancouver and then later managed both Sounders and Whitecaps.

How about Jimmy Gabriel? Player turned manager. (IIRC he was the first player to score in the kingdome)

or the Sounders losing the Soccer bowl to the Cosmos 2-1 (and a again in 82).

and you want to talk rivalry, talk about 1975. Playoffs. Timbers came back and beat the sounders 2-1 in Over Time to win.

Just cause I wasn't around to see it, doesn't mean that I don't know about it, acknowledge it, and respect it.

I actually have a scarf on my wall that denotes all of the major trophies the sounders have won, in any form of the club.

History matters to me (in a lot of subjects).

I guess I don't see what all the hub-ub is about....Whitecaps NASL championship is on the list...everything is on the list. Its all there.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Uncle Si":urm3g0ma said:
I wonder how many of any of you saw these teams play as NASL teams, where the rivalry started? watched (or had any idea) the Timbers lose the first ever "Soccer Bowl", the Sounders lose to Chinaglias Cosmos in Portland in '77 and again in '82. That 1-0 loss killed me as a kid. Who knew who Bobby Moore was? Knew Harry Redknapp played here. or mark Peterson was the best US born player in the world in the early 80s.

I'd say its far fetched to quote history most know zip about. You really want to mimic the great rivalries of sport at least get to know the history. Its pretty cool stuff.

Thanks for the flashback, Uncle Si. I remember that Sounders championship losses. IIRC the goalie was Tony Chursky on the 77 squad. Brian Schmetzer (one of the asst coaches on current Sounders) was on the 82 squad. They were managed by Alan Hinton. Roger Davies was my favorite Sounder player back then.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
hawkfan68":3ecki482 said:
Uncle Si":3ecki482 said:

Thanks for the flashback, Uncle Si. I remember that Sounders championship losses. IIRC the goalie was Tony Chursky on the 77 squad. Brian Schmetzer (one of the asst coaches on current Sounders) was on the 82 squad. They were managed by Alan Hinton. Roger Davies was my favorite Sounder player back then.

Davies, Ian Bridge and Peterson for me (they were my instructors at the Sounders camp at PLU, Bridge used to torture us when we'd smart off) I still remember Davies baiting one of the Whitecaps into a straight red, then winning the game in a shootout...

Old NASL games were awesome. no draws. Went to OT, then a shootout... but not the shootouts like we have today. Player got the ball at the 50 and went in on a breakaway.

Back in those days Whitecaps were the big rival, not Timbers (atleast not as big). or it seemed at the games atleast

My last game at the Kingdome was a 1-0 loss to the Cosmos in front of a full crowd. Got to play with my youth team on the floor before the pre-game.

anyways, just some flashback as the big match gets nearer. (I'm not that old either... just wanted to add that in)

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1sdik5b9 said:
hawkfan68":1sdik5b9 said:
Uncle Si":1sdik5b9 said:

Davies, Ian Bridge and Peterson for me (they were my instructors at the Sounders camp at PLU, Bridge used to torture us when we'd smart off) I still remember Davies baiting one of the Whitecaps into a straight red, then winning the game in a shootout...

Old NASL games were awesome. no draws. Went to OT, then a shootout... but not the shootouts like we have today. Player got the ball at the 50 and went in on a breakaway.

Back in those days Whitecaps were the big rival, not Timbers (atleast not as big). or it seemed at the games atleast

My last game at the Kingdome was a 1-0 loss to the Cosmos in front of a full crowd. Got to play with my youth team on the floor before the pre-game.

anyways, just some flashback as the big match gets nearer. (I'm not that old either... just wanted to add that in)

Whitecaps were the stronger team in late 70s and early 80's. So definitely a bigger rival. I believe that Vancouver won the Soccer Bowl one year. I think it's was 1981. A girl I dated briefly in 1989 was good friends with Jeff Stock's sister. Another couple of Sounder standouts were Alan Hudson and Peter Ward. Good times back then.

JSeahawks

Reaction score
Diego Chara just received a yellow card which means he'll miss the Seattle game due to yellow accumulations. Big loss, especially since Will Johnson is also out with injury.

OP
OP
Smurf

Smurf

Reaction score
Good job dropping points vs 10 man RSL.....and Chara suspended for the next match....and EJ, Dempsey and Oba fit and set to start...

*Drools* this will be awesome.

Sarlacc83

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm pissed about the RSL game, to the point I could barely get to sleep last night. So many points left on the table this year.

We're going to need W. Johnson back for Sunday. However, I do hope Powell can build on his game last night. He was outstanding.

Latest posts