Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ    Contact Us  Your donations are greatly appreciated! Donate  Chat Room

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE SPORTS BAR ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 25  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2013-14 EPL Season
 Post Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:29 am 
NET Veteran

Hawkspur wrote:
Wenger obviously considered United, City and Barcelona to be a class above Arsenal. Sounds about right.

Is there a bigger whiner in the PL?

Post Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:31 am 
NET Starter

Liverpool lose out on their only real target of January. Lose to Everton on Tuesday, don't see the top four rest of the season. Pessimistic? Maybe. Reality? Likely.

Post Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 10:48 am 
NET Veteran

InSuarezWeTrust wrote:
Liverpool lose out on their only real target of January. Lose to Everton on Tuesday, don't see the top four rest of the season. Pessimistic? Maybe. Reality? Likely.

Well this is alot of supposition. We have no idea if Salah was a target, or our ONLY target. Word is we never even bid. Doesnt sound all that serious to me.

Remember we have the easier run in of our top 4 competitors. Dropping points to Everton would be painful, but certainly not insurmountable.

It is worrying we havent brought in cover at DM or an outside back. Salah was a winger, and we have Coutinho and Sterling there, including Ibe, Assaidi, Aspas and Borini in the club. Hard to say he was a real need..

Lets see how the next week pans out. Sounds as though Lucas is 2-4 weeks instead of 6-8 as well

Post Posted: Thu Jan 23, 2014 5:21 pm 
NET Veteran

Uncle Si wrote:
oh well, we dont need wingers anyways... but Jose's trolling of the PL is something to watch. Seriously he is in a class by himself these days.

My favorite quote of the week: "I am surprised. Juan Mata is a great player and they sell a great player to a direct opponent." - Arsene Wenger

ummm....

Well let's see here, Chelsea has now played United twice this season, Arsenal, Liverpool and City still have to face them one more time. You know Mourinho did this to try and sabotage the other Top 4 clubs. Though it kinda loses sense when you consider Chelsea still has to play those same 3 teams also and now they won't have Mata, not that he was used much regardless.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:12 am 
* NET Starfish *

Gatehawk wrote:
Uncle Si wrote:
oh well, we dont need wingers anyways... but Jose's trolling of the PL is something to watch. Seriously he is in a class by himself these days.

My favorite quote of the week: "I am surprised. Juan Mata is a great player and they sell a great player to a direct opponent." - Arsene Wenger

ummm....

Well let's see here, Chelsea has now played United twice this season, Arsenal, Liverpool and City still have to face them one more time. You know Mourinho did this to try and sabotage the other Top 4 clubs. Though it kinda loses sense when you consider Chelsea still has to play those same 3 teams also and now they won't have Mata, not that he was used much regardless.

Arsehole.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:27 am 
NET Veteran

peachesenregalia wrote:
Gatehawk wrote:
Uncle Si wrote:

ummm....

Arsehole.

37 million just doesnt make sense...

Post Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:44 pm 
NET Veteran

Uncle Si wrote:
peachesenregalia wrote:
Gatehawk wrote:
Uncle Si wrote:

ummm....

Arsehole.

37 million just doesnt make sense...

37 million seems like a bit much for a player that's spent so much of the season(Unfairly might I add) on the bench.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 1:54 pm 
NET Veteran

Arsenal through to the fifth round with a, for the most part, comfortable and easy 4-0 win over League 1 side Coventry City. Podolski with a first half brace, and Giroud and Cazorla finished the scoring in the final 6 minutes. Coventry did put up a valiant effort but just couldn't finish their chances and it just showed the gulf in the difference in how easily Arsenal scored their 4 goals. Arsenal definitely let off the gas in the 2nd half and almost let Coventry back into things, and they did have some great chances, with Fabianski making a great save and the post denying another. It'll be interesting to see who Arsenal draw now.

In the only other FA Cup game of the day, Preston North End and Nottingham Forest played a scoreless draw and will have to replay the tie at Preston North End.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 2:08 pm 
NET Veteran

Gatehawk wrote:
Uncle Si wrote:
peachesenregalia wrote:
Gatehawk wrote:

ummm....

Well let's see here, Chelsea has now played United twice this season, Arsenal, Liverpool and City still have to face them one more time. You know Mourinho did this to try and sabotage the other Top 4 clubs. Though it kinda loses sense when you consider Chelsea still has to play those same 3 teams also and now they won't have Mata, not that he was used much regardless

37 million seems like a bit much for a player that's spent so much of the season(Unfairly might I add) on the bench.

so why would you question Chelsea's sense in taking the money? they just dumped a player they dont use for 37 million... dumped him to a rival that still has games with their direct competition for top 4.

Jose's won this. Wenger's hypocritical moaning made it priceless. Oh well... only two winners in that deal and none of them are Arsenal and Liverpool

Post Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2014 3:10 pm 
NET Veteran

Gatehawk wrote:
[/quote]

so why would you question Chelsea's sense in taking the money? they just dumped a player they dont use for 37 million... dumped him to a rival that still has games with their direct competition for top 4.

Jose's won this. Wenger's hypocritical moaning made it priceless. Oh well... only two winners in that deal and none of them are Arsenal and Liverpool[/quote]

Should probably add Pellegrini to your list. And the 37 million I was talking about was referring to Man U, it's a transfer record for them but Mata isn't exactly worth that much, Mourinho trolled so many people in this, but it's really as much a gamble for Chelsea as anyone else.

Post Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2014 8:47 am 
NET Veteran

37 million may be a lot but as United desperately needed top quality, preferably Premier League proven, talent in January they didn't have a lot of choice. Good deal for all involved.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 10:22 am 
NET Veteran

Top 4 clashes have been drawn in the 5th round of the FA Cup with Manchester City vs Chelsea and Arsenal vs Liverpool.

Post Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 12:45 pm 
NET Veteran

Gatehawk wrote:
Top 4 clashes have been drawn in the 5th round of the FA Cup with Manchester City vs Chelsea and Arsenal vs Liverpool.

Tough draw for all..

Gate. Take a quick look at Arsenals schedule from February through early March

Its unreal

Post Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2014 2:12 pm 
NET Veteran

Uncle Si wrote:
Gatehawk wrote:

Tough draw for all..

Gate. Take a quick look at Arsenals schedule from February through early March

Its unreal

It's a difficult schedule. I won't be too surprised if Arsenal stumble a bit during it. Honestly the only tough ones EPL-wise, are Liverpool(away), City(home) and Chelsea(away). Arsenal have made minimal mistakes at best this season, their worst game was at the Etihad(but then again, who's had a good game visiting there?). Having Bayern twice and Liverpool at home in the FA Cup isn't gonna make things easier, but if Arsenal make it to April in a decent position, they'll still have a chance to win the league. It's not gonna be easy, but if anyone can navigate something like that, it's gotta be Wenger.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 6:01 am 
NET Veteran

Here's Arsenal's February/March by the way... no envy on this side I have to say. Massive task.
Obviously, advancing in either cup adds games to the ones that exist.

Jan 28
Southampton v. Arsenal

Feb 2
Arsenal v Crystal Palace

Feb 8
Liverpool v Arsenal

Feb 12
Arsenal v Manchester United

Feb 15/16
Arsenal v Liverpool
FA Cup 5th Round

Feb 19
Arsenal v Bayern Munich
UEFA Champions League (Round of 16)

Feb 22
Arsenal v Sunderland

Mar 1
Stoke City v Arsenal

Mar 8
Arsenal v Swansea City

Mar 11
Bayern Munich v Arsenal
UEFA Champions League (Round of 16)

Mar 15
Tottenham Hotspur v Arsenal

Mar 22
Chelsea v Arsenal

Mar 29
Arsenal v Manchester City

Apr 5
Everton v Arsenal

Post Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 1:17 pm 
NET Veteran

Just to add on to Si's little Arsenal run down, should Arsenal or Swansea advance to the Quarterfinals of the FA Cup. Their match on March 8th will be postponed.

Post Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2014 11:50 pm 
NET Veteran

COYB

Post Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 12:53 pm 
* NET Starfish *

Goals. Liverpool's got 'em.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:33 pm 
NET Veteran

Liverpool's counterattacks are absolutely deadly. This is hard to watch, lol.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 1:57 pm 
NET Veteran

peachesenregalia wrote:

What a run out that was...

Studge may owe Suarez and Gerrard apologies.. but either way, what a performance

(and Arsenal muddled it!)

Post Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 2:25 pm 
* NET Starfish *

Uncle Si wrote:
peachesenregalia wrote:

Studge may owe Suarez and Gerrard apologies.. but either way, what a performance

Yeah, glad to see Coutinho have a big game today, he needs the confidence. When he, Sterling, Sturridge and Suarez are all firing, we're unstoppable.

Flannagan is mannnn. Johnson is as good as gone, IMO. Nice to see Kelly back to fitness, too. I think we could use a CDM for cover, a pacey winger (Assaidi, anyone?) and some more fullback cover. None of which are immediately pressing. I expect us to be quiet this window. I think Salah was really it, and I'm fine with that. With Sturridge and Suarez in such fine form, we can just out-score our way to the CL next season.

Arse were probably lucky to nab the two points with a Desmond there. United fans will get false hope from beating one of the worst teams in the league again. To me, this league becomes a dogfight between City and Chelsea through the run-in.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:04 pm 
NET Veteran

To me, Arsenal gained 1 point, but everyone is reacting to the draw against a stingy Southampton side like it means Arsenal are gonna be relegated. It's pissing me off though that everyone is acting like this automatically means Arsenal are out of the title fight and seem to be acting like Chelsea and City will run the table. Everyone wants to act like they're invincible and are incapable of dropping points too. Who's to also say that this result won't pressure Wenger into pushing that Draxler deal into full throttle or even signing others? Don't act like Arsenal's out of the title race(when they're still technically 1st) with 4 months still to play, even with that upcoming schedule for the next 2 months.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:20 pm 
NET Veteran

Gatehawk wrote:
To me, Arsenal gained 1 point, but everyone is reacting to the draw against a stingy Southampton side like it means Arsenal are gonna be relegated. It's pissing me off though that everyone is acting like this automatically means Arsenal are out of the title fight and seem to be acting like Chelsea and City will run the table. Everyone wants to act like they're invincible and are incapable of dropping points too. Who's to also say that this result won't pressure Wenger into pushing that Draxler deal into full throttle or even signing others? Don't act like Arsenal's out of the title race(when they're still technically 1st) with 4 months still to play, even with that upcoming schedule for the next 2 months.

Uh...who's "everyone?"

Who are you talking to?

Lovely tackle by Flamini by the way

Last edited by Uncle Si on Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 3:27 pm 
NET Veteran

peachesenregalia wrote:
Uncle Si wrote:
peachesenregalia wrote:

Yeah, glad to see Coutinho have a big game today, he needs the confidence. When he, Sterling, Sturridge and Suarez are all firing, we're unstoppable.

Flannagan is mannnn. Johnson is as good as gone, IMO. Nice to see Kelly back to fitness, too. I think we could use a CDM for cover, a pacey winger (Assaidi, anyone?) and some more fullback cover. None of which are immediately pressing. I expect us to be quiet this window. I think Salah was really it, and I'm fine with that. With Sturridge and Suarez in such fine form, we can just out-score our way to the CL next season.

Arse were probably lucky to nab the two points with a Desmond there. United fans will get false hope from beating one of the worst teams in the league again. To me, this league becomes a dogfight between City and Chelsea through the run-in.

So 6 points from United in one direction... 6 from Arsenal in the other

Who we closer to?

Post Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 4:54 pm 
* NET Starfish *

I'd have to say Arse, Simon. They will wilt like they always do, and it'll be another season sans trophies for them. United Will be lucky to finish 7th, I reckon. Sure, Mata will give them a wee bit of a boost, but ultimately, they'll get hammered by anyone in the top 6 because they just don't have the mids or defenders to compete with the bigger clubs. This will be a long road back for them.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 4:41 am 
* NET Starfish *

Konoplyanka?

I mean.....fair enough.

Post Posted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:37 am 
NET Veteran

peachesenregalia wrote:
Konoplyanka?

I mean.....fair enough.

supposed to be a hell of a player... better than Salah by all accounts. This gives alternatives for Sterling (wow, what a player he's turning into!) and allows Coutinho to slot into the CAM role, which is the best for him and us.

After Sterling, we have Moses and Aspas, neither of which have helped us in the slightest.

Found this updated table this morning... We've had the biggest improvement on points this season. Based on relative fixtures (meaning if the fixtures upcoming for all teams play out like they did last year.. a stretch I know Gate) this is how it finishes...

Team Pl 12/13 13/14 P+/- Prj'ed
Man City 22 40 50 +10 88
Chelsea 22 41 49 +8 83
Arsenal 23 51 52 +1 74
Liverpool 23 34 46 +12 73
Man United 23 56 40 -16 73
Spurs 22 42 43 +1 73
Everton 23 39 42 +3 66

United would have to perfectly match their results from last year (which was near perfect in honesty) to equal Liverpool's fixtures (which include home games to City, Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs and away to United)..

Such a massive improvement in one year. Well in BR

(Gate... this is all speculative... calm it)

Gate... direct comparison to last season (this does not reflect on who each team played last year verse this year, just a snapshot of points from 2013 to 2014... so there you go.. nice start to Arsenal's season. tough fixtures coming up, as we saw)

Team 2012/13 2013/14 +/- Prj'ed
Arsenal 37 52 +15 88
Chelsea 45 49 +7 81
Man City 51 48 +2 80
Spurs 41 43 +3 75
Liverpool 34 46 +12 73
Man United 56 40 -16 73

Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:38 am 
NET Starter

#KONOPLYCATED

Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 11:43 am 
NET Veteran

InSuarezWeTrust wrote:
#KONOPLYCATED

christ... its taken its time isnt it...

Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:12 pm 
* NET Starfish *

If this one falls through, I want the board to sack Ian Ayre. He's pure shite, and has cost us a number of times when we were supposedly "In pole position" To sign several players. This guy can play well on the wing or in the middle, and would allow Coutinho to just romp in the middle of the park, also provide needed rest for guys like Henderson and Sterling. With Lucas out, I would have liked to have seen us bring in a holding mid on loan for cover, but I think we'll be alright.

Still, if this deal fizzles, Ayre is a Konoplywanka.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:47 pm 
NET Veteran

well, from what i hear, Dnipro is keen to deal, player is keen to go, but Ayre is playing with Konopoly money

turn the lights off on your way out boys...

Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:53 pm 
NET Starter

Uncle Si wrote:
well, from what i hear, Dnipro is keen to deal, player is keen to go, but Ayre is playing with Konopoly money

turn the lights off on your way out boys...

You win, shut it down.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 2:03 pm 
NET Veteran

peachesenregalia wrote:
If this one falls through, I want the board to sack Ian Ayre. He's pure shite, and has cost us a number of times when we were supposedly "In pole position" To sign several players.

Sounds eerily similar to our mate Levy. So many 'what ifs' that add up to blown opportunities. I don't think I want Levy out, but I hope he learns from his mistakes.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:23 pm 
NET Veteran

Well Liverpool appear to have failed to sign that Ukrainian that I've never heard of before.

And Arsenal signed Kallstrom on loan from Spartak Moscow... well it's better than no one.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:42 pm 
NET Starter

Gatehawk wrote:
Well Liverpool appear to have failed to sign that Ukrainian that I've never heard of before.

And Arsenal signed Kallstrom on loan from Spartak Moscow... well it's better than no one.

He made Kyle Walker looked pedestrian, so he falls into the exclusive category of most wingers.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:46 pm 
* NET Starfish *

Ayre out.

Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:03 pm 
NET Veteran

peachesenregalia wrote:
Ayre out.

agreed and I think this is probably his last window in Liverpool looks to be a bit on lucky is well apparently the very billionaired Russian owner pulled the deal at the last second either way to do better you lose out on to target the last 2 weeks we don't get top 4 going to be all kinds of changes at the club really unfortunate

Post Posted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:48 pm 
NET Veteran

InSuarezWeTrust wrote:
Gatehawk wrote:

He made Kyle Walker looked pedestrian, so he falls into the exclusive category of most wingers.

Not really that impressive, and even so, still doesn't mean I know him. Like I do know Kallstrom, but that's only through using him on FIFA Ultimate Team.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:52 am 
NET Veteran

Kono is an exciting young prospect Gate... Made a name for himself with a solid Ukrainian national team in qualifiers. You will hear more if him. Very much in the mold of Walcott, but better on the ball.

Not a big loss as it was 16 mill for a player out of contract in the summer who has never played a game in the prem. Still... Liverpool need the depth. Confused why they didn't go for a cm..I'm assuming they trust Allen and Lucas will be back soon enough.

Windows shut. Race for 4th is on. Only United got better. Arsenal failed to add an impact player (Kallstrom in nice experienced depth in the mid while Ramsey's out but nothing exciting). City missed on two Porto targets. Chelsea added for the future. Spurs and Everton didn't do much. In that sense outside of Mata no one did anything to pressure the other...

Post Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:17 am 
NET Veteran

Great ball by toure

Post Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:37 am 
NET Veteran

http://m.mlssoccer.com/news/article/201 ... paign=Paid

Its starting...

I said it in an MLS thread... the affiliation relationship is beginning to take form. My club just affiliated with Sporting KC. And now we see Arsenal players being loaned to MLS teams.

This will develop quite rapidly. MLS teams are affiliating with regional clubs that meet their requirements, adding better organization and education to those clubs while getting a better look at more players. European and South American pro clubs are now doing the same with MLS teams. It wont take long to trickle down.
I love it..

Post Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:46 am 
NET Veteran

Uncle Si wrote:
Great ball by toure

It was a game of 2 crosses, eh. The ridiculous and the sublime.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:54 am 
NET Veteran

The Ox has definitely eased the anxiety around Emirates Stadium. Two great goals by him in his first start since returning from injuries providing the difference in Arsenal's crucial 2-0 win over a stubborn Crystal Palace. Both goals came thanks to very bad mental lapses by Palace's defense which were very well organised for the majority of the game.

Oh and Kolo, Kolo, Kolo, Kolo. He definitely didn't see Anichebe there did he.

Post Posted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:09 pm 
NET Veteran

Hawkspur wrote:
Uncle Si wrote:
Great ball by toure

It was a game of 2 crosses, eh. The ridiculous and the sublime.

Ridiculous really... But when you have to start Kolo in back to back games its more than likely you'll get punished..

Oh well. Suarez should have just finished his. 4 points clear would have felt better

Post Posted: Mon Feb 03, 2014 8:16 pm 
NET Veteran

Feels like deja vu. City go top after Arsenal slip up and, just like Liverpool back in late December, don't last a week there before handing top spot back to Arsenal. Definitely a great weekend for the Gunners and a real confidence boost as they head into a tough run of fixtures.

Post Posted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 5:31 am 
NET Veteran

Im not sure losing to the 2nd best team in the Premier league is a "slip up"

Post Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:35 am 
* NET Fan Boy *

Wow....I'm sorry Gate...thats a rough 20 minutes...

Hope Arsenal can salvage it a little bit so you don't have to listen to the Scousers here tell you about it for the next 3 months.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:36 am 
NET Veteran

:snack:

Post Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 5:53 am 
* NET Starfish *

Hard lines, Gatehawk.

Post Posted: Sat Feb 08, 2014 6:00 am 
NET Veteran

Um mm...

Amazing really

(Like the footy version of 48)

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1206 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17 ... 25  Next

Board index » SEAHAWKS.NET - THE VOICE OF THE 12TH MAN » [ THE SPORTS BAR ]